Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another what new ski question

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for a little bit of advice on behalf of my bro in law for new skis. He seams to have got the ski bug and is planning 3 or 4 trips this winter after a successful 1st week in davos. He will be sorting out boots shortly but now is looking to skis aswell. 6ft2, 110kg 40 year old. Need to be flat skis (no bindings) as he wants knee bindings set up with quiver killer.
Ps this is not a what ski will suit me but more where to start in the search, high possibility he will be at PSB.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like he’s going to be attracted to the most expensive (expert) skis in the shop.

Please ask him to resist as they will really hinder his progress.

Beginners’ skis or, given his weight, early intermediate skis will be what he needs. Don’t be put off by the price. They really will be more suitable.

When the time comes he can trade them in for something stiffer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tell him to rent and try many skis.
Not go to a shop, point and say i want that one.
No doubt when he his a progression wall he will blame his skis & be looking to buy another pair.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get him to buy his boots in the next couple of months, then point him to his nearest Okobertest. He'll be able to try the most expensive skis (and discover he can hardles get up the drag lift, let alone down the slope). He'll then be able to be more honest with the guys when he tries a second, etc pairs and find what sort of ski he likes/suits his skiing stype and ability/gives him confidence.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry my mistake. He has already had a one ski trip and multiple trips to indoor (tamworth & chill factor) so hes improving pretty steady. The kneebinding seems like a no brainer and being able to take bindings off (QK) better for packing multiple skis in one bag (my only advice).
Good tip with octobertest, will push him to that
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd still stick with boots only at this stage. Top range rental skis will offer him greater flexibility as he improves and moves from one level to the next..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with the above. At this stage, I’d go for some second hand decent intermediate skis. The suggestion of the Octobertest is also a good one.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No easy way to find what skis you like until you use some in earnest.

For me, at least, I tried some really stiff ski's once (got them fairly cheap - took a punt) and they didn't suit so if I ever read a ski is pretty stiff I avoid it. Other than that I bought a pair once on the recommendation of a guide. Another time my binding broke and I had to rent some. Liked them so bought a wider pair of the same model.

I guess at this stage it's not known how much park/piste/off piste he'll be doing so you'll need a jack of all trade type ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WASHOUT wrote:
The kneebinding seems like a no brainer and being able to take bindings off (QK) better for packing multiple skis in one bag (my only advice).

If you're only looking at QK to make packing skis easier, as opposed to actually swapping the bindings between different pairs of skis you'll probably find just breaking the bindings down will do the job. For many/most demo rail bindings slide both toe and heal to their max and you'll usually find one will then slide to the middle and come off, letting you slide the other to the middle and remove that. For many fixed bindings adjust the heads right in and they will often slide forward and off with a few thumps with the heal of your hand. Toes tends to be more fixed, but also not take up as much space. By stripping down my demo binding piste skis and removing the fixed binding heals from my all mountain skis I can get both pairs in a single Sportube, with the removed bindings sandwitched between the skis.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have not seen rails for the kneebindings and QK are pretty cheap if you DIY also very solid!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Make sure you have a decent hire shop and they should be happy to swap skis every day for you or even multiple times a day, so you can switch between powder and carvers etc. Plus that way you get a feel for it if you're not doing a testing day. I'm hiring in Norway and they are happy to swap between telemark, alpine or snowboard every day for example.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
He hired in Davos and got pretty shite skis, it was mid term and not much option to go elsewhere. What ski rental is costing this season he would be cheaper buying and at least something will be constant this season.
Octobertest is a must.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would not think buying the best option. Just my opinion.

Knee bindings are not a no brainer. Little (no?) published evidence that they have any effect.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I prefer the familiarity of having my own skis (and I haven't paid ski carriage in years).I agree that the best option at this stage would be to attend Oktobertest, try lots of skis, get some great free advice from spderjon et al, and on the strength of that, buy some intermediate all-mountain skis.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I understand there is no paper saying knee bindings are better at preventing injury but I understand there concept and makes sense, if it wasn't for shifts with option of me trying small hikes up I would be on then myself.
Hopefully he will get a idea of what he likes and possibly more important what he doesn't like at the ski test.
Ski service and ski carriage no issue.
snow report
@WASHOUT, sure if budget no option (and vs ACL issues) go for it. Just unconvinced.
ski holidays
Can have a look at the website/magazine reviews : https://www.gearscore.co.uk in the following section that seem the most suited :

Proskilab : Men's intermediate
Neveitalia : Allround tourism

The site also publishes best deals.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy