Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amade - Flachau

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, we've booked a chalet in Flachau for a group of friends this coming winter 19/20. Very mixed abilities from advanced to first-time beginners.

Just wondering about the suitability of the runs in Flachau for the first-timers... it seems to be reds all the way back down to the village? Are they manageable for beginners?

Looking at the runs in Flachauwinkl/Zauchensee/Kleinarl, that seems like it would be a much better option for the beginners for the first day or two. Only looks like a 10 minute drive from Flachau, is that right?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MacPie, Definitely tricky for beginners. There is a blue track down through the trees. Best to download. You can download on st star jet 1, achterjet and space jet 1.

Flachauwinkl us a 10 minute drive or you can get the postbus. It is definitely better for beginners. I doubt your beginners will be able to ski down on day 1 or 2 anyway and again you can download . Would you not want to be in one place for the lessons?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know its a long time ago now (over 30 years !) but the first place I went skiing was what is now Ski Amande. We stayed in St Johann. It was my first week on actual snow as opposed to artificial slopes. I made it over to Flachau and back as part of the ski school class (sure it was very inelegant snow ploughing Embarassed ). We went back for the following few years and we certainly regularly made it down to Flachau. Perhaps folk are a bit more cautious now.

I like Flachauwinkel / Zauchensee and there is probably some more challenging skiing for better skiers as well as gentle slopes. I do remember there is an easy woodland path back to the lift station / cark park at Flachauwinkel so a mixed group can easily get back to the bottom, with those who are worried or tired at the end of the day sticking to the path.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that info holidayloverxx. Good to know they can download on all the lifts. I was beginning to wonder how to explain that they couldn't get off the mountain!!

Not sure what the beginners are doing yet for lessons... one of our group is an instructor so they may come to an arrangement. That would also help with flexibility in choosing different areas to ski each day.

Obviously the differing abilities means that we won't be skiing together all the time but it would be good to at least all be on the same mountain and meet up for lunch or a coffee or a beer...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mac Pie, on the wagrain side of the Flachau mountain are the Flying Mozart and Rote 8 lifts. Both runs are fab for intermediates. The Rote 8 middle station is blue down to the bottom...lovely for your beginners. They would have to ski a little bit to get to it from Flachau or drive round and park at the bottom. The best restaurants on the mountain are the Auhofalm just above the middle station of the flying Mozart and the Herzerlalm just above the base station of the achterjet...you can walk up to it.

Ask away if you want to know anything
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@munich_irish, the fact you had skied on artificial slopes must surely have helped on your first trip. I never recommend Flachau for absolute beginners. I see too many of them struggle with the limited terrain for them in the first few days
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mac Pie, forgot to mention...there is a nursery slope with drag lift at the bottom of the space jet 1 which would be fine for day 1....then apres at the dampfkessel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks again for the replies... I'm sure they'll be fine. I know they're going to do a few lessons in the snow centres and dry slopes beforehand, so they should be able to sidestep and snowplough by the time they hit the real stuff. They're very sporty and active so will hopefully pick it up quickly enough.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mac Pie, why are you now posting from a different account?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well spotted Wink

My "old" account was from a few years ago, from a now-defunct email address (not that I was a regular poster anyway). I was sent "down a crevasse" and it was quicker to just create a new account than to reactivate the old one. If I've done wrong, sorry.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@holidayloverxx, not sure my instructor thought much of what I had managed to learn before turning up in St Johann Very Happy The group did manage to ski ("ski" might be a rather optimistic term) over to Flachau and back on the Friday. I also remember stopping off at the Krapfenhutte above Wagrain. The whole area has changed a good deal since then. I believe the slopes above St Johann where we spent the first few days are hardly used now as they are not part of the main area.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy