Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A10/ A12 Autobahn closures July to August 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Im pretty sure this will effect some of you travelling down through Europe for summer holidays. If you are planning a stop off around Salzburg there is a new rule where all the motorway exits from Puch, just outside Salzburg down to St Michael in Lungau will be closed to "holiday" traffic.
Link here

https://www.salzburg24.at/news/salzburg/a10-land-salzburg-sperrt-alle-autobahn-abfahrten-fuer-urlauber-73228288

Basically, from July 13th until August 18th the exits will only be open for residents and persumably people who can prove where they are staying in the area. The closures are at weekends only, and from 6am until 20.00, in both directions.

Personally, I think this will actually cause more problems than it solves, a lot of the local businesses will suffer as we used to get a load of Dutch/German people who like to stop off in the village for a lunch or a bit of a shop to break their journey.

Anyway, just a heads up if any of you are planning a little stop off in Salzburgerland this summer you may end up somewhere entirely different than you planned!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 11-07-19 10:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Same around Kufstein I think? I think its a strange one that a beautiful country which relies so heavily on tourism for its revenues is excluding tourists from its towns.......if I'm reading this correctly.

Anyone have a map/ link of Tirol/ Vorarlberg too? - we're driving from Munich airport to Lechtal mid August and wondered if our travel may be affected. Its part of it to get off the Autobahns and get into the local towns.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting @Kooky, is this just a trial ? or to facilitate works ? Are they saying it could be in place for next summer as well ?
Cheers
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think it's for good. It's really odd, what will happen to people who want to visit tourist attractions for the day, e.g the Ice cave at Werfen, or Dachstein? Seems like it will be impossible to police. It looks like it's only weekends.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Kooky, I'd say the Austrian police will do an excellent job at policing this, in my experience they dont mess about with on the spot actions.

Have you seen any info regards other areas you could post here, as per my message above?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, Depends which way you're coming in – some restrictions around Innsbruck, Kufstein and Kirchbichl. https://www.promobil.de/oesterreich-tirol-maut-umfahrung-landstrassen-gesperrt-wochenende/ (Hall in Tirol is my exit, and I haven't seen any police on the junction yet.)

The reasoning behind the decision is to stop people heading off the motorway to avoid the tolls, especially on the Brenner, as some tourists heading through Austria to Italy etc. don't feel they're in the country long enough to bother paying the tolls wink This then clogs up the minor roads with through traffic that should be on the autobahn.

Also, watch your speed – there are lots of temporary roadwork and police speed traps.

Edit – there was an update in the link that I hadn't read Embarassed

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 11-07-19 10:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Markymark29, yep, you're not wrong there! I'm currently at work on my phone so can't really research but I'll look tonight. Unless any Tirol shs can help?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Kooky, As above wink

Maybe you could add “and A12” to the title for those driving in Tirol?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarlet wrote:
@Kooky, As above wink

Maybe you could add “and A12” to the title for those driving in Tirol?

Good thinking!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark29 wrote:
Same around Kufstein I think? I think its a strange one that a beautiful country which relies so heavily on tourism for its revenues is excluding tourists from its towns.......if I'm reading this correctly.

Anyone have a map/ link of Tirol/ Vorarlberg too? - we're driving from Munich airport to Lechtal mid August and wondered if our travel may be affected. Its part of it to get off the Autobahns and get into the local towns.

I think you should be fine, as you'll be staying in the region. The big issue people are objecting too is Germans and Dutch clogging (see what I did there Laughing) up the motorways on their way through to Italy/Lake Garda, then clogging up the small roads when they try to avoid the motorway congestion, which is a PITA for locals.

The summer holiday traffic is definitely getting worse every year, but I'm also not sure this is really gonna help.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kooky wrote:
I think it's for good. It's really odd, what will happen to people who want to visit tourist attractions for the day, e.g the Ice cave at Werfen, or Dachstein? Seems like it will be impossible to police. It looks like it's only weekends.

Around here I think it's only during the main holiday period, but no idea if they're planning to do it next summer too. I'd have thought if you tell the police you're going to x local place to visit then you're good - they definitely don't want to stop day trips - but obviously if everyone driving through says that how are they gonna differentiate? I suspect it's more to send a general message than something they'll rigourously enforce, but can't say for sure.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kooky, @Scarlet, @clarky999, Thanks all (good use of the Cloggy thing there Matt)....Matt/ Hayley -planning to leave MUC Airport on Saturday 24th mid morning and heading towards Reutte rather than IBK/ Arlberg for a change. Think we'd be better heading up via IBK (meet you guys for a pizza lunchtime if about?) and then go over St A/ St C rather than messing over Fernpass or via Garmisch?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@clarky999, it is a huge problem for the people in villages like Golling, Kuchl, Hallein. A few times last year I couldn't get home at all as the motorway was closed, and these villages were gridlocked, it must be quite frustrating living there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, for Reutte you're probably better going via Garmisch I'd have thought? Going via IBK the Zirlerberg is often problematic... But a pizza would be good though! The whole Lechtal area is lovely too.

@Kooky, oh for sure. I've had the 3-3.5 hour from IBK to my gf's hometown Windischgarsten regularly take 5-6 hours during the summer holidays, sometimes over 8. Road into Stubaital can also be a nightmare too, plus anything towards Seefeld/Garmisch/Germany... But yeah, I guess anything around the Deutsches Eck gets the worst of it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@clarky999, Mmm....thinking maybe bash up to Reutte, done it in winter and it works well. Staying in Lech 24-29 August in the same little place that you met us at last winter, planning a hike/ scramble Sunday maybe over top to Warth if you guys up for it, route spotting, me and Dan did it in winter a few seasons back, keen to see it in summer, then back after up the river to Stubenbach, should be a great hike if weather/ viz good. Also plan to walk into the big bowl behind Langerzug one day and scope that all out for next season. Get yourselves up for a day if you're about, pizza on me?! wink Nice one by the church in Lech.
latest report
@Markymark29, Currently no plans that weekend, so yeah, pizza that's not actually a pizza wink would be nice.
ski holidays
Q&A https://www.salzburg24.at/news/salzburg/abfahrten-auf-a10-gesperrt-fragen-und-antworten-73275181
snow report
There is a lot of fuss about all this in Germany especially in Bavaria. The Austrian's won a court case against the proposed road tolls in Germany and now want to stop German holiday makers avoid paying the Austrian road toll! To be fair this has more to do with folk blindly following navis off the Autobahns and through small villages and towns and causing a lot of grief for residents. There is also a big argument going on about trucks, the Tirol now often restricts the number of trucks per hour allowed to use the Inntal / Bremmer Autobahns which is causing complete chaos north of Kufstein in Germany. In an ideal world the Tirol would like to get rid of the Brenner autobahn in its entirety!

Also worth noting are the part time traffic lights around Kufstein to restrict the number of cars allowed through (Dosierampeln in the article) these operate on winter Saturdays too.
latest report
It was tested in Grödig last year. Basically due to extensive use of satnavs, when the motorway is busy, drivers were taking alternative routes thereby causing congestion through towns and villages, which in turn has dramatically worsened the air quality.

So the plan is to keep the through traffic on the motorway and restrict traffic in the towns and villages to locals and tourists staying in them. It's really about air quality more than anything else. But I'm sure there will be a knock on effect for local businesses who will lose passing trade. Apparently in Grödig last summer there was no significant change to local business incomes. So it will be interesting to see what the end result of this year's plans are.
snow report
Was going to say it sounded odd, but I can see the point.
Germany solved that issue by making one buy an emissions sticker, and banning all vehicles without one of the right colour.

Round here they've just additionally banned Euro2 petrol and Euro5 diesel and anything older from certain streets, with the world's tiniest signs, and also hardly any press coverage too. Apparently quite a money maker that one!

I've been stuck in a jam for hours on Inntal autobahn, and then attempted to use diversion thru the towns and it was worse, with the entire road blocked basically. A jam in the towns surely isn't going to help local trade either.
ski holidays
Hopefully they will just look at the cars and differentiate between a fully luggage laden vehicle with roof rack, bikes on the back and optional caravan etc and someone out on a day trip.
ski holidays
@Scarpa, I think they're just stopping people who don't have local plates and turning them back onto the motorway if they don't have a legitimate reason to leave the motorway.

@andy, the emissions sticker in Germany only applies to certain city centres, is that right? In which case it wouldn't help here. They're trying to stop traffic passing through Austria from using the regional roads. They claim it's about air quality, but it's probably about cost too, so that through traffic has to buy a vignette and pay the Tauern tunnel tolls.
latest report
@queenie pretty please, mostly cities, but not necessarily just city centres. many/most cover rural areas outside the city too. The autobahns and major highways through the emissions zones are not affected, and no sticker is needed. So in that respect, filthy cars are allowed on the main highways, but cannot necessarily get on to the regional roads (legally). The umweltzone around here contains a whole wodge of forest too. Munich I think is only city centre. Stuttgart/Leonberg I thought was several zones including outside urban area that all border each other, thereby creating a huge emissions zone (but I'd need to check the map), but the autobahns that pass through are fair game for any car.
ski holidays
Not sure how effective the German stickers are anymore, practically every car now has a green 4 sticker. I am not sure how much effort is put into enforcing all this either. France has a more recent version of this with only the most modern vehicles qualifying for a "1". I believe that there is a combination of permanent environmental zones in town centres and wider zones (which would include motorways passing through urban areas) which are only in place in times of particularly bad air quality. I have read that currently enforcement is more gentle reminders than fining everyone without the correct sticker.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Austria in the coming weeks. The traffic situation is pretty awful most weekends in both directions from now until the end of August. We join the hordes heading south over the mountains to Italy at the beginning of August. Our strategy is to leave very early (around 5) go direct towards Innsbruck and join the Autobahn there. The plan is to ensure we are over the Brenner by 8 at the latest. This seems to get us ahead of much of the traffic heading for the Gardasee. However we then often hit queues in the Apennines north of Florence.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy