Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help choosing which Esprit hotel for first time family holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am a single Mum looking to take my 3 children, aged 4,7 and 9 for our first skiing holiday. All of us are total beginners! I think Esprit would work best for us with the childcare options, baby listening in the evening etc, especially as I am on my own with them. We would like a hotel rather than a chalet, again as I am on my own I'd feel less self-conscious in the evenings eating in a hotel rather than with other couples in a chalet. So we are looking for an Esprit chalet hotel in an area perfect for beginners, v easy access to the beginner slopes and also plenty of non-ski activities for the afternoons - things like swimming, sledging, tobogganing, sightseeing on foot up the mountains (they would love just travelling about in gondolas etc!). I think I and the older two would have lessons in the mornings while the 4 year does Snow Club. One consideration is they are relatively old for beginners so I am thinking a bigger hotel would have a better chance of other older beginners for them to learn with? 9 year old wouldn't be impressed spending a week on nursery slopes with 5 year olds! Youngest would then have his lesson in the afternoon and I would take the older two out doing some of the above mentioned activities. Spend time all together after his lesson playing in the snow etc. They have dinner, I put 4 year old to bed then get baby listening while I eat my dinner and older two chill out. Which hotel / resort would you recommend for us? I have spent ages on the Esprit website but going round in circles so need some recommendations! Thank you!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you wont go far wrong with any. just choose the cheapest option being your 1st time skiing anywhere and everywhere will be great
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Benjibear, we used Esprit from when the girls were 1 and 4 and then did 5 different holidays with them.

When are you going (which week)? As that plays a bearing on which I would suggest however, think you are spot on that they will be very good in your circumstances.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It would either be the week starting Sat 15th Feb or the week of Sat 4th April. I have heard that April might be best for kids/beginners being a bit warmer out on the slopes. What do you think?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Benjibear, April is massively cheaper, but a lot warmer, and hence limit where I would suggest.

Have you costed up both weeks to see the difference?

For February snow isn’t a decider how busy the resort is likely to be is as it is peak season
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I haven’t costed up yet as I could do with a shortlist of which ones first. Might you be able to recommend which one you’d choose for Feb and which for Easter?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For April - I am hedging toward Belle Plagne BUT the rooms setup is better for 3 and there is not huge amount to do outside of skiing. Though easy to travel around in gondolas from Belle Plagne to Plagne Bellecote. Also they have a swimming pool in hotel.

Also tempted by Val d’Isere (you will find rooms for 4 there), not typically recommended for beginners but snow sure for late season, and bigger town. We went there with my friend and his daughter as a beginner and they visited the swimming pool in town and found it very good.

For Feb tempted to look at Champoluc - haven’t stayed there as quite new to Esprit. Italy should be quieter. Not 100% about how beginner friendly but Italy is most definitely child friendly. We went to Gressoney in April and loved it in that area.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Benjibear, Esprit would be a good choice from a service level and convenience viewpoint.

They seem to have 7 chalet hotels + another they now class as a ‘partner’ hotel.
(Les Deux Domaines, Belle Plagne). At some point I’ve stayed in 6 of them, albeit a while ago.

I’d suggest the choice of when you go is vital, as @NickyJ implies. Personally, with 3 young children, I’d go for early April over February half term. Much less chance of bitter cold, far less crowded pistes, better value.

However, April is far riskier for decent snow cover and conditions than February. So it would steer you towards higher altitude, more snow sure areas.

Considering the locations of Esprit chalethotels, the two obvious ones for me in April would be Les Deux Domaines, Belle Plagne and Crystal 2000, Courchevel 1850.

Unsurprisingly, these are two of their more expensive options. The Belle Plagne one is better from a comfort and facilities point of view. Both have ski in/ski out locations. Both areas have way more skiing than you need, as a family of beginners.

I’d personally rule out their Val D’Isere options. Snow sure area but not great for beginners and a bit of a faff to get to/from the pistes. I realise Esprit staff take responsibility for that but kids don’t tend to like a 10 minute hike uphill in ski boots carrying kit.

Their St Anton (Nasserein) hotel is OK but again I’d be concerned that the pistes are often very demanding, especially for beginners.

Alba, Meribel would be another possibility. Not quite so easy access to beginner slopes though and a tendency for slushy snow in that valley late in the season.

I don’t know their Obergurgl or Champoluc hotels. My concern would be snow reliability in April. Other SnowHeads may be able to advise?

If you decided on February half term, then I’d completely avoid the French ones + St Anton. Champoluc or Obergurgl likely to be far better.

I’d also consider what other well regarded childcare friendly operators might offer. Loads of information on here about those. They may well have something that would meet your needs better, especially if you decided on February.

You’re absolutely right to think carefully about your choice and ask. Hope that helps.
Any specific questions, fire away.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PeakyB, ...for example, Ski Famille have some larger chalets (sleeping up to 30) in Plagne 1800.

Also, they offer rooms for 4 or 5, if all being in one room is important to you.

Never been with Ski Famille myself but read lots of positive things about them from SnowHeads.

snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Benjibear, If you really want to do Esprit, then Belle Plagne in April has to be the best option. Been there twice when the kids were young. Esprit do everything for you so you'll have no issues. Book 2 connecting rooms and take your swimmers. Make sure you book the supervised lunches for all 3 of them. It gives you an extra hour of peace and quiet to have a grown up option and it will be (a lot) cheaper than feeding them on the mountain. There are some cheap snack places in Belle Plagne centre next to the First Aid post. I would consider the Esprit Guided Ski Fun for the older two rather than you skiing with them every afternoon. You will be the weakest link in the skiing chain I'm afraid, the kids will pick it up much quicker.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you so much for all the advice - very much appreciated! So I think I am looking at week of 4th April and a choice between Esprit Belle Plagne or the Ski Famille chalet at la Plagne 1800. Ski famille had been recommended by a friend but I was unsure about staying in a chalet with other couples as I am on my own. However PeakyB pointed out there is one that sleeps 30 so that might just work. The older kids are a bit apprehensive that most of the other kids in the chalet will be younger than them (7 &9), they think they’d have a better chance of kids their own age in the hotel. But I like the fact our 4 year old could ski in the mornings with Ski Famille and then we could spend the afternoon all together or he could stay with the chalet childcare if he’s exhausted! Which option would you choose in my position? Is the access to beginner slopes / ski school equally good from either location? Both snow-sure in April? Esprit ski school vs Ski Famille ski school? Especially re my concern above of my two being put in with 5 year olds if there aren’t v many beginners. Any advice v welcome!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Benjibear, if you contact Esprit they will tell you which ski school they are using in belle plagne. When went with them there it was ESF but that was 6 yrs ago and they seemed to be moving away from ESF.

For lessons also look at max per lesson group. With Esprit they send a “snow ranger” with the younger children and beginner and improver lessons to help the children out.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Benjibear, overall, Belle Plagne Les Deux Domaines ticks more of your boxes I think.

Sheer size increases the likelihood of a larger number of children of different ages. Not forgetting you, as you’d be more likely to find agreeable adult company, if you wished. Don’t assume it will be all couples. Children skiing with one parent is not at all unusual.

The hotel is smart, comfortable, has swimming pool. For that week it is also a little less expensive than the Nicole with Ski Famille. Another big plus is that the price includes 7 days catering AND buffet lunches (or picnic lunches). That is worth several hundred euros for the four of you and one less thing for you to arrange each day.

I don’t know how the relative childcare costs compare, so that is obviously an important factor.

You probably know that the Esprit week commences Sunday 5th, rather than Saturday 4th. To me that is another advantage, as Sunday travel is usually far less hassle than a school holiday Saturday.

As @NickyJ suggests, find out details of ski school. A very important factor for beginners, especially the children. Check out online reviews too, about the ski school as well as the hotel.

Snow sure in early April? La Plagne has a high probability of decent snow. Weather and conditions can never be certain. The snow management there is pretty good and they’ll prioritise beginner slopes and key lift links.

One big plus about La Plagne is that progress from beginner nursery slopes to more interesting but safe blue runs is very good. You’d probably have progressed enough to do that after 2 or 3 days tuition.

Hope that helps. At the risk of prompting moral outrage, at their ages, I’d take them out of school for a week in mid March. Increase your resort options, likely better snow, big saving on costs. Sorry, couldn’t resist that.

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Benjibear, Belle Plagne Les Deux Domaines +1

Was excellent. We went three times with our kids. Very good all round.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Benjibear, when we went there were quite a few single adults and I think they give he option of putting those that want on a table with others. This was a couple of years ago so might be worth clarifying.
snow report
It looks like Esprit get the most recommendations so I will prob go with them. One consideration is Esprit ski 5 days Mon-Fri, free day Sat. Ski Famille ski 6 days Sun-Fri, no free day. Ski Famille is about £500 more expensive for accommodation, flights and lessons/childcare (haven't compared prices for the other extras yet), they don't include dinner on one evening or lunch any day for the adult (kids get lunch as part of childcare) but you get an extra day ski lesson. I'm still a bit concerned about my 4 year old being too tired for his afternoon lesson with Esprit though. I think on balance I am still veering towards Esprit. Who knew it would be this tricky to decide!
latest report
@Benjibear, we found it cheaper to hire skis via Alpinresorts or snowbrainer than directly with Esprit.
snow report
@Benjibear, I think all of you, not just the 4 year old, will be tired. Week 1 skiing is demanding, both mentally and physically.

Everyone is different, but our son, when 3 years old, lasted the full day well.

It should also be one of the most exciting weeks of your lives. The adrenaline, plus hopefully good nights of sleep, gets you through.
snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy