Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brand new skis arrived with scratched bases. Bother with return?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My lovely wife gave me my first ever skis for the birthday snowHead Imagine my horror when I saw what looks like vice damage (?) on the bases towards the tips. They are just about deep enough for my fingernail to catch it. I emailed the seller and they offer a partial refund.

So the question is, do I bother with return or just take the money? How critical is this likely to be for the ski structure?

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From the photo the damage looks superficial. Are the edges damaged? How much is being offered? snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
New or used?

Either way, that's very minor and won't make any difference to how they ski. They will have more scratches than that the first time you take them on the hill. That said, I'd remove any bits of ptex that stand proud of the base very carefully with a sharp knife or metal scraper so that the base is flush when you rub your fingers over it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
From the photo the damage looks superficial. Are the edges damaged? How much is being offered? snowHead

I didn't spot any damage on the edges, not that I am any good at this. What's the best way to check if they've been ground?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
New or used?

Bought as Brand new. Apart from the scratches in question everything looks pristine. Not sure about the edges - I can't tell if they've been ground
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That damage on a new ski is entirely consistent with handling/transit damage and, as said above, is superficial, especially when it's near the tip. And it's a dead easy repair that I'd charge £5-10 to fix but most people wouldn't be bothered or would at least wait until the ski needs a service.

That damage on a new ski would class it as a 'cosmetic blem' and the usual deal would be 10% off the list price. However at this time of the year and assuming the ski is last seasons or older then it is probably already heavily discounted so the additional discount offered might only be minimal, say £20.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Horror sounds like a media headline where in reality it looks like good luck to me .

A partial refund would go towards paying for a accurate service and quality wax job that the factory wont have done .
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The photo doesn't seem to work on my PC? Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Take the money then you'll feel a lot better when you experience the first rule of new skis :

New skis are equipped with rock magnets that ensure you crunch them in the first day or 2 of skiing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
king key wrote:
The photo doesn't seem to work on my PC? Sad

Nor my laptop ??!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Oleski, just use them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Oleski, Picture did work, doesn't now. Haggle and push them, tell them that by the time you factor in the cost of repair locally and your costs of fuel to take and collect them that it will cost you £20 more than they are offering. But at the end of the day take their best offer. The act of haggling will earn you extra brownie points.

as @Dave of the Marmottes, said
Quote:

New skis are equipped with rock magnets that ensure you crunch them in the first day or 2 of skiing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I used to use the main part of my nail (the big bit) and check the edge of the skis as if they had been done they would leave a slight mark on it (very light pressure) but this was when I used to sharpen and wax my own while skiing for a season. Id probably just get it repaired and tuned at a shop to make yourself happy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy