Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

15yrs old, very good skier, slightly built...what ski to buy for my son?

Poster: A snowHead
The title says it all really...we are off to the mountains for 10 days, and then again at the very end of April for closing weekend.

I'm looking at taking advantage of the sales to buy him some skis for next season.
They will probably get passed on to my daughter who is 12 when he has outgrown them.

He skis the whole mountain, and skis it very well (as does she). Skis will get about 30 days a season.

Advice as to which models to look for?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have some 4* volkl supersports as I am on the light side and find them very little effort at all. I am 5'10" and 150lbs. I ski them in a 161 length. You should be able to get this seasons for around £220 on ebay. However I do use them solely on piste and their versatility may be brought into question. I wonder if you could get them in a 154 length. There are plenty of other snowheads with children who im sure will be able to make much better recommendations.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would say you'd need to decide what sort of ski he'd want as there's so many out there. You do say he skis "the whole mountain" so I would say you can't go far wrong with an "all-mountain" ski. I can personally recommend Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous as a good midfat. Atomic Metron M10 or M11's might fit the bill as well, as would Bandit B2. I doubt any of these skis would be too stiff for a light skier, particularly if he's a good skier. I've heard that the Rossignol Zenith range is good too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
my 15 yr old got fischer rx8 and brought him on 30% brilliant ski
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rungsp, by "all" mountain, how much time are they likely to spend off off piste? I don't have kids of my own, but friends kids tend to be on junior race skis. Good on piste performance and at that age they don't need the technological advantages that we poor adults seem to want. Trying not to show my age, he might fancy a pair of twin tips?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My teens tried Rossignol Scratch twintips and Some Rossi Zenith Z9 oversize skis at New Year. They bothe loved them . They are 16 and 17 respectively, and lightly built.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, I would guess the Scratch to be a good idea from what I've heard elsewhere.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, a really cool ski for a teen I would say. The only complaint was that they weren;t ideal on-piste the first few days, as the snow was a bit hard and worn. However, once some snow fell, they were great for playing around at the side of the piste, jumps etc. Richard used some at LDA when he did the freestyle course.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rossignol Scratch BC (not FS), Head Mojo 90, if he wants twin tips.

Nordica Hot Rod series.

Head iXRC series
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dynastar troublemakers, nuff said. Fall-line and daily mail mag really recommend them for a twin tip. could get some 05 ones on ebay for £200.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Edmundh009, reviews are meaningless.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
K2 Public Enemy's or Volkl Karmas if he'd be into twin tips. Both very versatile all mountain skis.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Volkl and Stockli have very nice junior skis. My vote: Unlimited Jr. Actually I'm giving a pair to my nephew.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the end we demoed and then bought some Armada (ARV5 I think), last pair in the shop....got a special deal and put some ex-rental bindings on them.
We then got offered some Head Mojo Mad Trix (at least I think that was the name!) for a really cheap CHF200 and got those for my 12 yr old daughter.

Hint: always mount your kids skis with ex-rental bindings (assuming you know and trust the source). Cheap (it's an expensive thing buying skis that will be grown out of before they are worn out). Rental bindings are harder wearing than their normal cousins. Most importantly....as the kids grow their feet you don't need to re-mount the bindings.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Personnally, I wouldn't want to put ex rental bindings on my childrens skis for my own peace of mind. The Atomic Neox bindings heel and toe pieces both adjust for length without having to remount them. I expect there are other makes that do as well. Just my own thoughts.
snow conditions
I can see why you would have that reservation but that is why I only use one ski shop in which I have great faith and know the techies too.

On the other hand...who would refuse to use rental equipment for their kids because they were worried about the bindings?
snow conditions
gsb, rungsp, Get the bindings tested before you (or your child) uses them. Test them again when they are adjusted to suit larger feet. wink
ski holidays
rungsp, Fair point.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy