Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar overnight - standard or premier?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
We are planning to travel to Les Arcs on the overnight Eurostar on Dec 20th - 2 adults & 3 not so small children (15,13 & 10)!
Is there much difference between standard & premier class please? Any top tips?
Many thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've taken the direct ski train before, I assume that's what you mean? Sadly most of the couchettes have been binned according to the Man in Seat 61's website. I took it back in 2012 and it's just like a normal train except some of the seats are marked as for ski kit only. You have to sleep upright or on the floor so it's not ideal. I found that we lost the first day due to tiredness but had the extra day at the end which was cool. I don't like flying or airports much so it was better overall. However, sleeping bag and pillow are essential unless you're OK sleeping upright.

When I took the Eurostar in 2016 I went Premier as there was some deal on. The carriages are quieter, you get some free food and a copy of the paper. I don't know if the seats were larger or anything like that.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi yes direct ski train! Thanks for that info - I’m not great at sleeping sitting up but rest of family seem to be able to sleep anywhere! Thought we’d give it a go as airports were a nightmare last few times!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I really like the lack of admin hassle: leave from a beautiful station after a few pints in the nearby pub and minimal security faff then you're away. Sleeping on the floor is the downside otherwise you can take as much food/drink as you like without having it thrown out/bought at extortionate prices. I'm not exactly swampy but the eco benefits are a plus as well.

I'll be taking the coach out next season which people don't like but I take a sleeping bag and get some reading done so it's never really bothered me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Clarkey - have done both - I'd definitely go for the premium seating if I wanted to sleep - especially with larger kids in tow. Standard = 4 seats across width of the train - only 3 seats in the higher classes. Seats are both bigger and have more space around them.

Eurostar have banned booze on the overnight services for the last few years - lots of negative criticism on that but they seem to be sticking to it. The odd smuggled bottle has been known to make it - but they are definitely confiscating as well (given they scan your bags they should be able to find it!!!) Food (even their taster menu) is on a par with the best you'd get on any premium airline as a minimum - often really good.

If you're up for it my advice is to be quick as soon as the tickets go on sale for the best prices...especially with the travel dates. Likely to be busy with little floor space for sleeping options Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks JP Wolf really helpful - I’ve got alarm set for day tickets go on sale Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Neither are particularly comfy, but at least Premier is wider and seats are reclining (a little bit), so go for Premier
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi

We went for the first time to Arc 1950 this year, it's a lot less hassle once you're on the train and a quick transfer to Les Arc.

We're going back on Dec 21st, I don't think you get much sleep on the night train, but you do get more skiing.

Does anybody know when the tickets go on sale?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have had an email this evening from Eurostar, saying tickets for mid dec to mid jan on sale now. Wasn’t looking for trains to the alps, but was thinking of going to Bruges around Xmas time for a few days.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That doesn't seem to be the snow train tickets to the alps.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarkey321. Often been on the overnight service, and in spite of not getting much sleep have always skied for almost a full day on arrival.

Most people sleep in their seat. If you are lucky you may find an empty seat so can spread out. People sleeping on the floor, or with legs out sideways, tend to block the corridor - so can get kicked by people moving through the train, to toilets etc. Eurostar provide a blanket, inflatable pillow, eye mask and ear plugs (which you have to keep for the return journey, so leave a bit of space in an accessible bag), but some people take an extra pillow / neck support. If you are not in Premier, you can always take some food/drink for evening & breakfast.

The biggest issue can be with accommodation arrangements on arrival and departure. You might not have access to rooms until the afternoon on arrival, and have to vacate them by say 10:00 on departure day, so need facilities to get changed and leave your bags somewhere for both days. If you have to get changed in a broom cupboard, without unpacking, having everything you need for skiing in one place and readily accessible can help. On departure you may not have access to a shower after skiing, and may need to hang around/eat somewhere in resort other than your accommodation until around 19:00 - although an alternative might be to go down to Bourg St Maurice earlier and eat there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ecureuil, there is a pizzeria that does very tasty pizzas just opposite the station. I'm sure everyone knows about it but when I came down the hill from the Three Valleys I was starving and really appreciated it!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Overnight - definitely go Premier - it will help what sleep you can get. Much more room and better seats. You also get some wine with your included dinner. Other than that alcohol is not allowed on board not sold in the bar on the overnight.

Daytime service cattle class is fine because you can go stand in the bar and drink and don't need to sleep - alcohol is allowed on this service.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
justabod wrote:
@ecureuil, there is a pizzeria that does very tasty pizzas just opposite the station. I'm sure everyone knows about it but when I came down the hill from the Three Valleys I was starving and really appreciated it!

A pizzeria in Moutiers isn't a great help for the OP boarding a return train in Bourg St Maurice! (But there are certainly some food options in BSM)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would only do premier for overnight. Sleeping in standard would probably be worse than sleeping in the economy section of a plane as I don't think the seats recline. neck pillows recommended. It is also nice having the evening meal and glass of wine in premier and fewer people.
snow conditions
I did the overnight train from Ashford to BSM for the first time this year, with a group of 6.

The train to BSM was a breeze, we joined at Ashford so could drive up and unload the gear easily. They did scan all the bags and do confiscate alcohol.

As others had said there is only a limited space for luggage in the carriage but they'd reserved some of the seats to stack the equipment so it all went in ok.

We were in standard class (no recliners) and the carriage was full, so meant trying to sleep upright... after people had settled down it looked like a scene from a disaster movie with bodies up and down the corridors and everywhere!

We booked with a TO and they had a minibus waiting to take us up to 2000, fortunate as we arrived before the Funicular was running. This mean we got to the Hotel just in time for breakfast though Smile

Also worth noting if you get the full Paradiski pass, this allows you to ski from lunchtime the day before the pass starts, so combining the early start and late departure meant 7.5 days skiing for price of 7. This also meant we could get a few hours shut eye on arrival before venturing out to the slopes.

Coming back was a bit of a scrum at BSM, not sure if it this is the norm or we were just unlucky... certainly BSM was busier because the train doesn't stop at La Plagne as it does on the way up.

All in all a good way to maximise your slope time but don't count on getting much sleep.
snow conditions
Thanks to everyone for your advice - will book Premier & give it a go! As people have said, main disadvantage in some ways is v early arrival & accommodation not available till 17:00. But there’s somewhere to store bags & big sofas for a snooze so all good!
ski holidays
make sure to bring eye masks as when I did it they left the lights on all night..
ski holidays
@Joff1, There isn't, you can change at Paris and get an over night train with couchettes. This helps on where to find the information https://www.seat61.com/ski-by-train.htm
snow report
Thanks for the useful link, I'm going on the day train to bourg St Maurice I think the tickets come out sometime this month.
but l'm not sure, dose anybody know roughly when they come out.
It would be nice to jump in early and get the premier tickets at a decent price.
ski holidays
@Joff1, they go on sale in July https://help.eurostar.com/faq/us-en/question/How-far-in-advance-can-I-book-Eurostar-tickets
ski holidays
Thanks radar
snow conditions
@radar, couchettes have been binned to all but a few resorts now.
ski holidays
Just got an email from Eurostar

Quote:

Our ski train tickets go on sale at 08:00 on 17th July, so now's the time to start planning your ski slope sojourn.
ski holidays
Likewise from Snowcarbon.

I'd check if that's 08:00 CET rather than BST... wink
ski holidays
yes, popular dates like HT and Christmas go very quickly
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy