Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advance, Steep, Moguls, Not Crowded (Alps) ... Ski Resort recs!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Planning a bucket list ski trip with my dad.
Quick trip. 9 ski days (End of Jan- Beg of Feb.) Trying to cram in as much as possible since we are from the US.

He's a picky skier- Looking to ski advanced runs, steep, moguls while avoiding the crowds. Seems like a Great White Buffalo situation. Shocked

Looking for recs on where to go. Should I take the route of hitting up Chamonix and getting a guide to take us off-piste or head to quieter La Thuile? Looking for a back bowl Crested Butte, CO type spot.

Ideally we'd do 5 days somewhere in FR/SW/IT and then head to Austria for the end of the trip... maybe a pitstop in Engelberg..?

Open to all recommendations! Appreciate you guys!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're prepared to boot or skin a little way then I'd say Chamonix, cross through the Monte Blanc Tunnel and head for Alagna on the Monte Rosa ski area (awesome off-piste for minimal effort) see here, the Balma is a must. https://www.explore-share.com/blog/freeriding-in-monterosa-alagna-champoluc-gressoney/
Engleberg, yes do that too. Then finish in St Anton and head up the Valugga. That should tick all boxes Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your dad might need to reset his expectations. In Europe, the only way you can get steep advanced runs that compare with US double diamonds is to ski with a guide.

For your non-guide days, regardless of resort, you will find few moguls, little genuinely steep terrain and absolutely no glades. On the other hand, you can do something that's impossible in North America - cruise between villages on massively long groomed pistes with regular pitstops that take in some exceptional cuisine.

So I would recommend enjoying Europe on its own terms rather than looking for another US-style resort.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Verbier has good long steep unbashed routes. Won’t be crowded if you’re there midweek before half terms start.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Moguls everywhere round Chamonix right now.

Both Verbier and Cham offer easily lift accessed steeps. Guide not usually required if you are competent off piste.

Alagna can be amazing but the snow is not so “guaranteed” as e.g. UT or WY.

You would want to be careful with your dates ...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy