Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 19/20 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Looks messy! What will Santa bring?

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking rather warm in some parts of Europe

https://www.severe-weather.eu/mcd/unusual-very-warm-period-develops-europe-december-mk/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is there a specific thread in this sub-forum for Megeve / Cordon? Off for a little pre-xmas break with the family on Wednesday. Would love to get some insight into what we can expect.

Cheers,

Joel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A high of +14 degrees forecast in the valley at Mayrhofen tomorrow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bennyboy1, Weihnachtstauwetter come early. Hints in GFS of a post Christmas cooling...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bennyboy1, as the Zillertal runs north south it gets affected by the Föhn more than some other places as the wind get funneled through the valley, Innsbruck can be similar as it is at the end of the Wipptal. Not completely convinced by that forecast though, the strongest Föhn therefore highest temperatures are likely to be further west in Switzerland, places like Chur, Luzerne and Zürich will probably see temperatures well above 10 degrees, further east the Föhn is likely to be less intense therefore temperatures below 10 degrees in mountain valleys? Munich does seem set for mild Föhn temperatures, good for sipping Glühwein though (apparently) bad for migraines.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Muttering of 17C in some Föhn effected areas.

https://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Bis-zu-17-Grad-Keine-Chance-auf-weisse-Weihnachten/409497668
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For us down Sarf looks like we have to endure nigh on a week of temps circa +5 and grey skies and then Friday a reasonable snowfall into Saturday and then more snow 24th / 25th to nicely coincide with a brief trip back to the UK Sat 21st returning 24th rolling eyes

These temps will help consolidate the snowpack ready for the Xmas New Year hordes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@joelhopwood, There's generally an Evasion Mont Blanc thread although there isn't one yet for 2019/20. If you asked the question on last year's it might prompt a new one by seasoned travellers to that area.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thank you
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Muttering of 17C in some Föhn effected areas.

https://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Bis-zu-17-Grad-Keine-Chance-auf-weisse-Weihnachten/409497668

That's crazy !!!

How does that translate to ski stations in the area - what are the temps at 1,500m ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://longrangesnowcenter.net/2019/12/16/europe-on-the-long-term-16th-december/

Looking good for the Southern Alps for the next few weeks.

Some bouts of snowfall for the Northern Alps, but benefits from a more zonal setup in mid-January.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, Bludenz, which is a town just to the west of the Arlberg, is currently 16 degrees https://www.wetteronline.de/wetter/bludenz. The Föhn can blast up the Rhine valley and cause very high temperatures. The effect is often very local. The various Arlberg resorts which are about 30kms away are around 4 degrees
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
munich_irish wrote:
@Weathercam, Bludenz, which is a town just to the west of the Arlberg, is currently 16 degrees https://www.wetteronline.de/wetter/bludenz. The Föhn can blast up the Rhine valley and cause very high temperatures. The effect is often very local. The various Arlberg resorts which are about 30kms away are around 4 degrees

Thanks for that I was wondering why the arlberg resorts were reporting lower and less snow eating temps!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@munich_irish, so resort temps are similar to here where currently at 1,400m it's +4.5 I wondered if they'd be higher etc
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen,
@munich_irish,

Thanks very helpful. Yes I see GFS shows cooling quickly after 21st (with snow possible in FI)

Let’s see. I have to drive to Italy from Innsbruck on Wednesday so I would be happy for some sun in any case ....
ski holidays

ski holidays
@Weathercam, I would guess that temperatures to the north (or west in your case) of the main ridge would be broadly similar. If you look at a 850pHa temperature map, which is sort of the temperature around 1500m, (there is a good one on wepowder) you can see the effect clearly. On the Italian side the temperatures are lower but all along the western / northern edge is a warmer area of broadly the same temperature. The higher temperatures seem most apparent around central Switzerland and east of Salzburg.
snow report
Looks like a pretty good start to Xmas week. Snowy and getting cold again...

ski holidays
Vizille (300m) showing off...

“ENCORE 20 DEGRÉS À 19h45 !
La température actuelle sur le Sud de l’agglomération grenobloise est de +20 degrés par effet de fœhn (à Vizille). Il a même fait +20,8 degrés cette après-midi comme en atteste la carte ci-contre.

Le vent de Sud (fœhn) sera à son paroxysme cette nuit et demain matin.

Le ciel lui sera toujours parcouru par de denses et étendus nuages élevés masquant souvent le soleil avec simplement de rares éclaircies de fœhn.
Les sommets le long de la frontière italienne et proche des Hautes-Alpes sont accrochés par les nuages (flocons à haute-altitude possibles).
Les températures évoluent peu mais les minimales sont en hausse.

Votre prévision pour les jours suivants a été actualisée : https://www.meteoalpes.fr/bulletin/alpes-du-nord/

Bonne soirée”
latest report
@BobinCH, not too confident in that at this stage. Let’s see.
snow report
ECM and GFS ensembles throwing out cold outliers post Christmas.

ECM

GFS - Arlberg

Meanwhile the @BobinCHfall starting to shape up for around 21/22 December.

And even though it’s cold and dark in the morning’s (winter equinox this Sunday) still time to get up for those early morning training sessions...

http://youtube.com/v/eMhDQFLwrAA
snow report
joelhopwood wrote:
Is there a specific thread in this sub-forum for Megeve / Cordon? Off for a little pre-xmas break with the family on Wednesday. Would love to get some insight into what we can expect.

Cheers,

Joel

I'm sure someone will start the Evasion Mont Blanc 2019/20 thread as soon as anyone gets out there. I won't be out until 27th though
ski holidays
Someone hits the brakes pretty hard on the Föhn on Friday...

http://youtube.com/v/6XMuUVw7TOM
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Someone hits the brakes pretty hard on the Föhn on Friday...

http://youtube.com/v/6XMuUVw7TOM

Fohn is actually most dreaded word for a skier. snowHead snowHead
snow report
New December record (yay) for Salzburg airport, 20.1C...
ski holidays
Global warming is back.

It's a disaster for the lower trails.

Not even freezing at night in Chamonix at the moment.
latest report
Also a record 18C in Meiringen, BE this morning.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2waterford wrote:

Fohn is actually most dreaded word for a skier. snowHead snowHead

Out here in the PNW of America, we call it a Pineapple Express. I think it may also refer to a type of cannabis...but you know that stuff is legal out here too! Razz
snow report
Meanwhile...

snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Meanwhile...
Santa delivering very lovely presents snowHead
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Global warming is back.

It's a disaster for the lower trails.

Not even freezing at night in Chamonix at the moment.

Hot weather evaporates water
What goes up, has to come down.
Hopefully as snow and not rain
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, where do you get the ECM ensemble chart from?
ski holidays
If it snows for Christmas Day, what are the rules regarding family, is it ok to go skiing and abandon them? snowHead Toofy Grin
ski holidays
No family on a powder day I’m afraid. They need to learn that Very Happy
snow report
No family on a powder day I’m afraid. They need to learn that Very Happy
snow conditions
That would be quite tasty....

ski holidays
So my wepowder was showing minus 20 for austria around the 31st. Morris was mentioning some problem with their software, I appreciate it's long off but is that what the models are saying or is it his anomaly? Bringing my kids out the week after for their first real trip so have skin in the game.
ski holidays
@8611, far too early to tell.
snow conditions
Hi guys,

I'm absolutely ignorant of weather forecasting I'm afraid. We made the mistake of looking at the Alpbach webcams today and our jaws dropped when we saw the temps and the lack of snow (we arrive on the 28th).

From what I read above, a lot of resorts experiencing high temps. In lay terms please, are we looking at temps dropping and snow falling by then or is it a case of wait and see?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy