Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 19/20 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
BobinCH wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Andermatt 350cm on upper trails... Someone who skied there today reported it was sharky.

Nice try, son. But no cigar wink

Andermatt has the most upper snow in the entire Alps.

Your buddy was yanking yer chain wink

https://planetski.eu/news/12310

While you are yanking your chain in your basement churning out resort cowdoo stats, actual skiers are sharing the real story. Here’s your 350cm of shark infested nonsense from yesterday ...

Lol.

Pic looks fake.

Have another link.

300-350cm.

From the official Swiss Tourist Board wink

https://snow.myswitzerland.com/snow_reports/skiarenaandermattsedrun-111/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitegold wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Andermatt 350cm on upper trails... Someone who skied there today reported it was sharky.

Nice try, son. But no cigar wink

Andermatt has the most upper snow in the entire Alps.

Your buddy was yanking yer chain wink

https://planetski.eu/news/12310

And to provide an objective view of ski depths from slf that illustrate quite how clueless you are with your Andermatt claims...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 2-12-19 19:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So now it’s clear! You sit in your basement scouring internet websites collecting resort stats that you use to to try and put people down. White, f**king gold snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Sneachta2013, I think Langerzug might not have any connection to Ireland Very Happy The equally foggy and wet Netherlands maybe....... There are plenty of other Irish folk around though
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zzz wrote:
@BobinCH, and I thought you'd lost your headcam... damn.
alas only iPhone vids this week...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam wrote:
@zzz, just you wait till all the "Pups" get GoPros for Xmas Laughing
now there’s an idea!

Alas doesn’t look like much to get excited about in the forecast...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 2-12-19 19:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BobinCH, whats with the CAPITAL sized images? I can understand trying to explain things slowly to @Whitegold, but for the rest of us....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well in all the years of being in the mountains, I think yesterday's snow-fall, which I think constitutes a "dump" was probably one of the biggest I've witnessed at lower altitude (1,400m) in a valley.

In terms of actual cms difficult to say as the snow was quite wet, so compressed, compacted, consolidated (choose whatever word) with the weight as temps were always around +1 but a good 100cm did fall I reckon.

Temps in the early hours fell to -4 so we have fine light powder atop of a 10cm base of tough snow to shovel.

Yesterday was also the first time I was unable to move my van due to the depth, and I certainly did try!

And this morning BlueBird !!

Cam panning in our garden

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, looks great....much less further north, and it's damp and foggy now, but the sun comes out for the rest of the week

ECM and GFS ensemble support building for 9th-14th Dec as the next window for low pressure, cold and snow. East is the safest bet, but with the azores high pulling out of france the whole of the northern ridge would do well. A bit far out to be confident...need to see UKMO pick it up soon at +144.

AO/NAO dropping back towards neutral, strat vortex still slowing, and in FI GFS has most of the trop vortex over on our side of the northern hemishpere. Interesting.

gfsnh-0-300
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
munich_irish wrote:
@BobinCH, whats with the CAPITAL sized images? I can understand trying to explain things slowly to @Whitegold, but for the rest of us....

Sorry, only use an iPhone where they all look the same size. Maybe those Imgur ones get blown up?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interestingly the snowline was up to 1000 meters below the freezing level on Sunday, an explanation: http://pistehors.com/Z7Alxm4ByuHDGsGAk3Hl/isothermal-snow---you-cannae-break-the-laws-of-physics
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, presume that would be good for La Grave? Would appreciate intel on a good weekend. Still never got higher than P2...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BobinCH wrote:
@Weathercam, presume that would be good for La Grave? Would appreciate intel on a good weekend. Still never got higher than P2...

la Grave is on the other side of a high mountain pass, so I wouldn't presume anything. There was around 40cm of fresh snow on the west side of the pass.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sneachta2013 wrote:
Two Irish folk having a discussion on snowHeads. That must be a first.....not many of us on this site over the years but recently I’ve noticed a few user names that could only be ‘as eireann’.....eg ‘langer zug’, Munich Irish, 2waterford. Probably more Out there also

Feicing blow ins.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good example in the video of how weather on one side of the mountains can be different from the other...

https://twitter.com/rainmaker1973/status/1201471081019826176?s=21
snow report
Dublin Zurich booked for dec 12th to 16th. Last year some kind snow heads steered me to Zermatt (booked hotel the day before leaving) for the same weekend which was great. 2 days of sun vs 1 in Ischgl was the deciding factor. Given the conditions on the ground are similar, is it ok to have a coin toss between both again this year? Been to both and not looking at other options at present for convenience. Anything in the weather crystal balls to look out for or puts one ahead of the other? Thanks!
latest report
that video makes my legs wobble
snow report
Planning our first ski of 2019-20 for next weekend (Dec 7-Cool. Is there a general consensus on where the best snow is right now in the Alps? We're based in eastern Switzerland but don't mind a drive. Dolomites perhaps best bet? Thank you! (Apologies if these answers have already been established on this thread -- playing a bit of catch up following a long summer hiatus).
ski holidays
ArlbergMeister wrote:
Planning our first ski of 2019-20 for next weekend (Dec 7-Cool. Is there a general consensus on where the best snow is right now in the Alps?

Serre Chevalier, it would seem but the marmottes are in no hurry to open the lifts

ski holidays
@BobinCH, maybe its my laptop, it works fine on my phone. They are the only giant sized images in the thread though.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
.......Serre Chevalier, it would seem but the marmottes are in no hurry to open the lifts..........

Damn right too, like I said in the Serre thread we hope to have that sector to ourselves for another ten days or so Cool

Also, that picture was taken before yesterday's additional 150cm up there!!

In fact, game plan is to go back up there tomorrow, as after we came down from a tourette today there were a couple of PGHM guys who were glad to be using my track I'd made earlier and I said I'd look forward to using their's as I'd only done 330m today and I hoped that they were doing the whole 1,100m.

Powder was as light as JapPow up there Cool

And with another clear night should be more of the same.

See that there's more precipitation for this part of the world mid to end of the next week, but that's way off.
ski holidays
Redial wrote:
Dublin Zurich booked for dec 12th to 16th. Last year some kind snow heads steered me to Zermatt (booked hotel the day before leaving) for the same weekend which was great. 2 days of sun vs 1 in Ischgl was the deciding factor. Given the conditions on the ground are similar, is it ok to have a coin toss between both again this year? Been to both and not looking at other options at present for convenience. Anything in the weather crystal balls to look out for or puts one ahead of the other? Thanks!

I'd wait till day before as there will be tons of accommodation everywhere open. No point in asking about weather until about 3 or 4 days before. As it is andermatt might be a better promise in terms of snow levels (see above). I don't think ischgl has gotten much yet. there's a separate thread here for zermatt, as I recall cervinia has been thumped not sure about zermatt.
ski holidays
ArlbergMeister wrote:
Planning our first ski of 2019-20 for next weekend (Dec 7-Cool. Is there a general consensus on where the best snow is right now in the Alps? We're based in eastern Switzerland but don't mind a drive. Dolomites perhaps best bet? Thank you! (Apologies if these answers have already been established on this thread -- playing a bit of catch up following a long summer hiatus).

Best snow seems to be in the southern alps and the south side of the main alpine ridge. So dolomites, aosta would be good bets. Weather 2 ski recently had a report on what was good.
ski holidays
12z GFS another run that shows good potential for much of the Alps from about 09 December. Certainly a trend towards cooling and quite possibly snow as well. All FI for now though. Still worth keeping an eye on Wink
latest report
FI just gets better with age, the 18Z looks to be a blinder, much improved across Austria from the 12z. I'm excited Very Happy
snow report
Phuzzy wrote:
FI just gets better with age, the 18Z looks to be a blinder, much improved across Austria from the 12z. I'm excited Very Happy

Me too,
Fairly cold after a couple of warm days. There’s not that much snow in the forecast though.
snow report
Matt Hugo on Twitter is monitoring a potential very cold spell mid Dec, still too far away though at the moment

https://twitter.com/MattHugo81

snow report
Weathercam wrote:

In fact, game plan is to go back up there tomorrow, as after we came down from a tourette today there were a couple of PGHM guys who were glad to be using my track I'd made earlier and I said I'd look forward to using their's as I'd only done 330m today and I hoped that they were doing the whole 1,100m.

Big slab up there yesterday, take care on those closed runs, is that the Combes/Vallons area?

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Drammeister wrote:
Phuzzy wrote:

Me too,
Fairly cold after a couple of warm days. There’s not that much snow in the forecast though.

This week looks to be dry, next week though appears to be a big step up. The 00z and 06z has reduced the amount from last nights 18z but ECM appears to be on board now too which is a bonus.
snow report
06z view of snow.

snow report

All looking a bit delbert chillkins.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

Big slab up there yesterday, take care on those closed runs, is that the Combes/Vallons area?

That's the Grand Serre Sector, the old cable car.

We did hear some blasting going on yesterday, and then just as we were on our way up there friends WhatsApped this!!!

https://www.dici.fr/actu/2019/12/03/hautes-alpes-une-avalanche-touche-remontee-de-cucumelle-serre-che-mecaniciens-evaluent-degats-1337448

And that was not triggered, that's the Cucumelle chair lift!!!!!

As we were going up there had been loads of massive slides, don't know how many were triggered and how many natural.

This image makes out I'm a lot closer to the Cucumelle that I actually am, you can make out skin tracks going up it, so they probably bombed into the bowl.

Did ski some cracking lines and did get some reasonable drone footage, which I'm currently editing.

And this image shows our ski track in the centre and then our ski tracks to the right of the skin track.

High Res image of the above https://stylealtitude.com/images/vallons_slides.jpg

It also shows the massive slide (left of picture) which I'm pretty sure was remotely triggered with the guns, and then Cucumelle right of the picture.

Pisteurs banned us from skinning up the piste as the bashers were working with cables so it was breaking trail again rolling eyes
latest report
@Weathercam, looks dreamy! Other than the mahoosive slides anyway.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
@Weathercam, blimey, that’s one of my red flags, a naturally occurring avalanche on similar terrain, head straight home, carefully.
It doesn’t look that steep either.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 3-12-19 18:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Oh sod it, no doubt the forum police will have a moan especially as I'll triple post this vid, but was great and using the drone, plus you'll get a better idea as to what the terrain is like.

http://youtube.com/v/WjL2jV4XoZw
snow report
@Weathercam, brilliant. That drone is rock steady.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:

That's the Grand Serre Sector, the old cable car.[/quote]

Natural slide, according to your friends at the PGHM.
ski holidays
Despite the UKMO dragging it's heels at 120-144, it's only a matter of time according to ECM and GFS mean 8-10 day charts.
Incoming vortex.

test8
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Oh sod it, no doubt the forum police will have a moan especially as I'll triple post this vid, but was great and using the drone, plus you'll get a better idea as to what the terrain is like.

http://youtube.com/v/WjL2jV4XoZw

Perfect conditions! Drone footage is dreamy. Tried it in follow mode? Your GoPro footage is getting too much glove action - try it on chest or helmet?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy