Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 19/20 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Up to 400cm at the top. This looks like being the best week of the season!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
anyone knowledgeable got a view as to the weather at Glencoe Wed/Thurs next week? I'll only decide if I go last minute, but starting to line a few things up!

From looking at the GFS it's looking to me like a warm blip Tues/Wed but with precipitation around, so potentially fresh snow for Wed or Thurs? Key questions would be visibility and wind!

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kitenski, not sure I count as knowledgable, but it will rain tomorrow and (probably) Tuesday, probably followed by show showers and wind through midweek. It's really difficult to predict whether wind will disrupt lift operations midweek at this stage, however.

My guess would be that there'll be reasonable amounts of fresh snow around but it might be a bit wild to properly enjoy it. Friday onwards currently looks better, as you can see from the chart above. Can you move Wed / Thu to Thu / Fri?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@denfinella, yeah Thurs/Fri would work I think, I'll keep an eye...MWIS I guess is the place to read each morning, it's outlook is currently:

Wind speeds will vary, with intermittent lulls, mixed with occasional days of gales. Conditions changing from day to day in terms of precipitation and cloud cover extent.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MWIS has this outlook from Mon, so there will be snow,wind,lulls,gales so you could lucky if you're on the spot at the right time

https://www.mwis.org.uk/forecasts/scottish/west-highlands/text

<Edit> beat me to it Blush
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen wrote:

Whoever they are, and rather sadly I believe they are another forum user using a different log in (pathetic? I hear you!) they have spent over 10 years trolling this forum in a repetitive dull manner.

Intriguing. You'd think they'd slip up occasionally and accidentally post a WG post on the other identity. I look forward to that thread.

Either way, I of course agree, and if anything their posts upset a genuine discussion on global warming or observations on it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
any long range prediction for week of 16 March ? Looking to head to Grand Massif for a short break (virus permitting)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Models seem to be hinting that the Atlantic conveyor belt, wind and rain will start to ease. This will likely leave the door open for either the Azores high and some nice spring days or the beast from the east and a long winter. Take your pick!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glencoe, Scotland, got blasted with ~14ft of snowfall in the past 3 weeks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@whitegold, have you ever skied in Scotland?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold wrote:
Glencoe, Scotland, got blasted with ~14ft of snowfall in the past 3 weeks.

lol, remember this one you posted re Scotland from a couple weeks back..? Sad I know but I was saving that one Laughing

Whitegold wrote:

Seasons shorter.

Temps up.

Snowfall down.

Skidays down.

Getting hotter and hotter every year, due to global boiling.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bodeswell, Shitegob has never been one to let the facts get in the way of his pathetic trolling.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spring is coming....

https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/spring-march-2020-weekly-forecast-atlantic-slowdown-fa/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Temperatures warming up briefly over the middle of next week before falling back down to earth possibly quite substantially.

Arlberg

Chamonix

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
the ruler has made some big gains since it was last posted on here

Damüls watch continues...

snow report
18z GFS another chilly run for Monday week.

snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, Stanton posted the current meteo data from the Ulmerhütte above St Anton, which showed a snow depth of 4m, more than twice that at Damüls which is not far away. A bit more due over the next 48 hours.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, yep it’s been a good season at altitude. The Damüls picture I use just because the huge ruler makes me chuckle!
latest report
@nozawaonsen, it always being a smile to my face as well! Not bad snow depths for 1573m at Damuls!
snow report
Ensembles on a Sunday. Looks like a cool period coming up for the northern Alps next week.

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

Sestriere

Zermatt

Eastern Pyrenees

[/quote]
snow report
8611 wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/05/truly-extreme-winter-2019-20-in-europe-by-far-hottest-on-record

This winter has been by far the hottest recorded in Europe, scientists have announced, with the climate crisis likely to have supercharged the heat.

Guardian has followed that up, with a selection of pics from the 2019-2020 season.

snow report
And again more below average temperatures for the start of next week.

ski holidays
melandnick wrote:
any long range prediction for week of 16 March ? Looking to head to Grand Massif for a short break (virus permitting)

Dunno about forecast but we are here now. Plenty of snow over from Samoens 1600. Down low it’s sugar and slush but they’re doing a great job of keeping it open. We haven’t been to Flaine yet as there was no need. Plenty of snow from tete de Saix down to Samoens 1600. Over to les carroz and even down to Morillon 1100 all be it a bit soft and artificial down low. Can’t see anything happening in the next week to do any harm. Due some fresh tonight/tomorrow as per forecast. Nothing here yet.
ski holidays
Don’t like the look of the amount of rain this week in the Arlberg Shocked - all this nice snow and then 20mm oh rain wouldn’t be great! 17 days to go, so hopefully another batch of cold snow on top
ski holidays
@Alex A, Not sure where you are getting that from? Snowing very nicely in the Arlberg right now, bit chilly on the lift, more tomorrow.

Then sun breaking through.

Looks like snow line could be a bit high on Friday, but that will be more fresh snow higher up.

And in any case all totally irrelevant for 17 days time.
snow report
bit of a repeat of my question regarding Glencoe/Nevis this Thurs/Fri? I have to start making some plans today if I'm going to make a trip work!

Potentially driving from Derby to Glasgow tomorrow, meetings around Glasgow Wed, then off to Fort William Wed night to ski Thurs/Fri.

Fri looking potentially a good day, any view to wind speeds & visibility on Thursday??
snow conditions
@noz Saw this poster in a restaurant and thought it should go here.....a symphony of sun and snow, with good snow ASSURED from november to may.

original

8-10 day mean charts suggest possible southerly jet (towards the med), but with high pressure over scandi / uk / eastern europe it would be relatively calm for northern alps, and around average temps

AO is having another go at heading back to neutral into mid month.
Further up in the stratosphere, the GFS Op (not shown) keeps 10hpa wind speeds off the charts (date record strength continuing)...but the mean (purple line below) suggests a steady slow down is more likely for the rest of the month. So the natural changes are underway and hopefully europe can benefit from the very cold air that will spill out from the poles later into spring

u-65-N-10hpa-gefs
snow report
kitenski wrote:
bit of a repeat of my question regarding Glencoe/Nevis this Thurs/Fri? I have to start making some plans today if I'm going to make a trip work!

Potentially driving from Derby to Glasgow tomorrow, meetings around Glasgow Wed, then off to Fort William Wed night to ski Thurs/Fri.

Fri looking potentially a good day, any view to wind speeds & visibility on Thursday??

I'm lining up Friday, looks to be the pick of the week at Glencoe.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@scotspikey, what do you reckon to Thursday?
ski holidays
@kitenski, looks snowy, but the wind speed looks like it will be open. This will all change tomorrow.
ski holidays
@scotspikey, thanks, think I'll chuck it all in the car tonight then, head to Derby then check the forecasts for Thurs before leaving Derby tomorrow afternoon
snow report
spring really is coming

https://www.severe-weather.eu/mcd/springtime-southern-half-of-europe-mk/
snow conditions
A review from zamg of the winter in Austria. Not too surprising warmer then normal.

https://www.alpinmesse.info/de/Winter-2019-20---Ist-das-normal-/

Personally so far managed plenty of powder days though not always quite as powdery as one would like.
ski holidays
After a few warm days it looks like it cools down again later in the week? (Looking at la plagne)
ski holidays
@polo, nice poster!
latest report
Heavy snow in Zermatt all day. Around 20cm of very light powder. Just arrived back in the hotel and now turned to rain. A good 3 days of piste skiing coming up, but warm. Beer on the terrace time, and Fendant for my wife. snowHead
latest report
@twoodwar, same in Arlberg. Plenty of fresh snow over last two days, bit sleety in town right now.

Next week is looking like proper sunshine spring weather. Nice.

snow conditions
Very warm today in Zermatt, lunch at Fluhalp would have been better done in shorts and tee shirt. Still a massive snow base though on all pistes. Massive amount of avalanche blasting this morning, lunchtime, and now at 6pm. Well over 100 explosions. Rothorn down to Sunnega return run on the Fluhalp side closed all day due to avalanche risk as was black 62, Furg to Furi run.
ski holidays
Been a massive dropoff in traffic on this thread, following the C19 pandemic!

Conditions are very hot in Europe at the moment.

Expect a lot of resorts to shutter early in the next week or two (not just Italy), due to a combo of green slopes (<1500m) and the death plague.
ski holidays
@Whitegold,

We’ve all gone somewhere else but nobody’s told you
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy