Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 19/20 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
pale turquoise with a grey insert at the neck, surely?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Torrential rain forecast for Thursday
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Decent snow forecast for Zermatt for Thursday
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
Torrential rain forecast for Thursday

Why post that sentence without saying exactly where the forecast is for?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jimmybog, +1.

For what it’s worth this is likely to be a problem in the west (France), less so in the east.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@jimmybog, +1.

For what it’s worth this is likely to be a problem in the west (France), less so in the east.

Thanks Noz!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@whitegold, nightmare in Saalbach today. It only snowed all night and most of the morning, I had to change my ski’s for off piste powder.

Anyway as you keep saying worst conditions ever, particularly in your favourite resort of Bansko.

Remind me, where have you skied ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jimmybog, this did occur to me Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidof, I assume you mean the area of lower mountains broadly to the south of Geneva? The latest GFS does seem to suggest wet weather for that part of the alps on Thursday with rain to fairly high levels though ECM doesnt agree (so far) and much of the rest of the alps the forecast is for cooler weather therefore snow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any latest thoughts please from the resident gurus on Monday and particularly Tuesday next week? ECMWF are giving it the Billy Big Bollox but GFS only a sprinkling e.g. YR (i.e. ECMWF) for Zermatt https://www.yr.no/place/Switzerland/Valais/Zermatt/long.html

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 4-03-20 11:44; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@whitegold, nightmare in Saalbach today. It only snowed all night and most of the morning, I had to change my ski’s for off piste powder.

Anyway as you keep saying worst conditions ever, particularly in your favourite resort of Bansko.

Remind me, where have you skied ?

Deepest sympathies. Must be awful in Saalbach.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hd, I would suggest that the difference between the two models is quite small. Both are suggesting that a succession of fronts come from the north west towards the alps for the early part of next week. This type of weather does not often bring big falls of snow to areas south of the main ridge (which Zermatt is) the amount tends to fall off quite quickly in areas to the south. The difference in the forecast for Zermatt can be explained by very small changes to the assumptions the models make. They should get more accurate (and the predictions get closer) as we get nearer to the actual time but even then predicting amounts of snow in specific mountain areas is notoriously difficult, the forecast should only be used for general guidance. Even so more snow is likely for Crans Montana or the Arlberg than Zermatt.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
munich_irish wrote:
@davidof, I assume you mean the area of lower mountains broadly to the south of Geneva?

where else? if by "lower" you mean below 2000/2200 meters .

For anyone who actually reads the post here:-

i. it is pretty well known where I'm based
ii. unlike some folk I do actually contribute some information rather than just taking

so wind your necks in guys (not aimed at you Munich-Irish)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidof, we do get new snowheads, you can't assume everyone knows where you are based. I have seen many of your posts, but I don't know where you are based, why would I be bothered?. No necks need winding in, just a post which gives the most basic of information to be clear that's all. No slur intended, but hopefully you get the point?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
munich_irish wrote:
@davidof, I assume you mean the area of lower mountains broadly to the south of Geneva?

where else? if by "lower" you mean below 2000/2200 meters .

For anyone who actually reads the post here:-

i. it is pretty well known where I'm based
ii. unlike some folk I do actually contribute some information rather than just taking

so wind your necks in guys (not aimed at you Munich-Irish)

Ive been on these forums for years and i have no idea where you are based. Its not like your location shows up when you post??

I usually post in the dolomites threads so yes i do contribute to these forums, though not often in this particular thread, as others like nozawaonsen do a great job,, so there's not a lot that i can add.

If i ever manage the divine art of deciphering where a particular forecast is for, based on no clues whatsoever, then i might think about reeling my neck in. Jeez, idiocy just reigns supreme from some people!!
snow conditions
@whitegold, another poor day due to the overnight and early morning snow in Saalbach.

Off piste again is such a pain.

You should come skiing, you might like it
snow conditions
jimmybog wrote:
Ive been on these forums for years and i have no idea where you are based. Its not like your location shows up when you post??

He has posted plenty of times which area he lives in, you could probably work out the exact address from his Strava tracks.
snow report
Enough that I was surprised to see him posting from Chamonix recently

I think the bickering on this thread may be more dangerous than corona
snow conditions
Well by and large I suspect there’ll be a consensus that it’s probably going to be slightly more helpful than less helpful to give an idea of where you are talking about, especially if you are warning of torrential rain, which fortunately isn’t going to be the case across the Alps but is at the western end tomorrow.

How dull.

Nevertheless probably not worth falling out over.

In the east it looks like briefly peaking between 1000-1200m though there’ll be less falling out of the sky either way.

In any case Jack Nicholson is pretty chilled and maybe there’s a lesson to be had there too? Or maybe not. But yeah be more Jack. That works.

snow report
Big rain due in Chamonix to ~2000m on Thurs.

Bring an umbrella, not skis.

More rain due early next week.

Chamonix glacier will shrink further up the hill this season.
latest report
@Whitegold, that’s brilliant news the car needs a good clean , as for the glacier always thought it looked a bit ugly , where’s that boiling hot weather you promised two weeks ago ? I’m dying for a magnum of Rose .
ski holidays
Buckets of snow forecast for the Southern French alps on Thursday followed by sunshine and cold temps for the weekend. Cold smoke videos incoming....
snow conditions
@Whitegold I always feel it's about to rain when you post.... sorry, but...

P.s. and I'm based in Ireland so my rain senses are very honed at this time of year.

Keep the sunny side out. Be nice!!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 5-03-20 19:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Snowing heavily in Tignes Le Lac
ski holidays
It's snowed a fair amount overnight and early this morning in Les Arcs at 1800m, which I wasn't expecting to see with the forecast of rain. Although it's still snowing heavily, it's slowly warming up (currently just above 0 degrees) and the snow line as the day goes on is forecast somewhere between 1800m and 2000m. The lower end of that range would be good, and set up another brilliant day tomorrow, but whatever happens it's adding the the significant snow depths we have on the upper slopes.
ski holidays
Just had a look at Meteo France forecast for today in Ste Foy they have lowered the rain/snow level from last nights forecast , now forecasting snow with the highest rain/snow @ 1600m .
latest report
@Rob Mackley, http://m.webcam-hd.com/ste-foy-tarentaise/front-de-neige clearly snowing at 1,500.
snow report
I skied over to Nendaz and it’s snowing at 1400m. It appears to be high density snow but snow nonetheless.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
Chamonix glacier will shrink further up the hill this season.

That’s generally what happens between ice ages.
latest report
Absolutely chucking it down with wet sleet at Les Crosets which is at 1600m. Hopefully would be snow higher up but everything up high (on this side at least) is shut due to strong winds.

The thigh deep snow I walked through from our apartment on Tuesday is a distance memory as it’s now washed away.
Hopefully it may snow overnight?
ski holidays
the ruler has made some big gains since it was last posted on here

snow conditions
Woke up to flakes in Cham central, turned clear for most of the day, light flakes again now but looks pretty borderline temp-wise.
ski holidays
@kitenski, St Anton claims 3.7m snow depth currently. Not sure where that is measured (Ulmerhutte?), if accurate it is pretty impressive. Dont know what the depth on the swings in Stuben is though Very Happy
latest report
Whitegold was right...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/05/truly-extreme-winter-2019-20-in-europe-by-far-hottest-on-record

This winter has been by far the hottest recorded in Europe, scientists have announced, with the climate crisis likely to have supercharged the heat.

The EU’s Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S) data dates back to 1855. It said the average temperature for December, January and February was 1.4C above the previous winter record, which was set in 2015-16. New regional climate records are usually passed by only a fraction of a degree. Europe’s winter was 3.4C hotter than the average from 1981-2010.

1.4 degrees above the record is pretty disturbing! 3.4 degrees above the average from not long ago also disturbing.
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
Whitegold was right...

even a broken clock is right twice a day.
snow conditions
I think Whitegold has issues as he only likes to report on negative news, I pray he doesn't get started on Corona Virus.
latest report
@munich_irish, according to “On the Snow” total snowfall for St Anton at summit is 310cm. Whatever the real number is it always amazes me how different each resort measures and markets their snowfall depths and amounts.
snow report
More rain early next week.

Heavy rain -- up to 3000m -- in Switzerland, France, Austria, and Italy.
snow conditions
@8611, I think you want to be pretty careful about giving any credit to Whitegold in any form.

Whoever they are, and rather sadly I believe they are another forum user using a different log in (pathetic? I hear you!) they have spent over 10 years trolling this forum in a repetitive dull manner.

In other threads their behaviour is worse. I suspect it’s due to some sort of inferiority complex. It‘s all a bit of an embarrassment for them.

They certainly deserve no respect one way or the other.
ski holidays
Snowing in ADH as I arrive for work Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy