Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 19/20 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
jimmybog wrote:
leggyblonde wrote:
The last few GFS runs look crazy. Like a child has gone wild with an Etch a Sketch for the FI ensembles Shocked

Not for the Dolomites. Looks like another 7 days of mostly dry weather. One half decent snowfall in 3 entire months. Absolutely unbelievable, even for a usually dry area like the Dolomites.

You're right it has been an extended period of dry weather for most of the Italian Alps and that looks to continue for the next week or so. But there is a signal for some precipitation right at the end of the month. The latest GFS hits the Dolomites pretty good on the 29th. I don't like posting weather charts out that far because verification is so low, but the trough that ends up digging south to the Mediterranean is clearly visible over the Atlantic at 168hrs. The upstream trough over the eastern USA would amplify it from this point. This is a slight change from weeks and weeks of fast zonal flow into the northern UK. It's not a perfect setup for the southern Alps, but it's a glimmer of hope. The CMC and ECM also have a trough for the same time period (albeit weaker and less amplified).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 23-02-20 10:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is an example of how it could progress favorably. This polar jet is definitely less zonal than in recent times.
(this image auto updates and is initially valid from the Feb. 22 18z GFS run)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 23-02-20 14:47; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And here is a nice looking surface chart. The imagine auto updates and is no longer valid.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 23-02-20 10:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Going right down to the valley floor Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah baby...arrive 29th!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rungsp wrote:
Yeah baby...arrive 29th!

Snap
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Start the drive home on the 28th Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The 06z GFS cut back on snow a little bit next week, especially in the south. But at this stage that's just noise and well within the ensemble envelope.

There's also still the short-term snow threat late Sun. - early Mon, especially in eastern Austria near the tri-province border of Salzburg, Styria, and Upper Austria. This looks like mostly an elevated (>1500m) snow threat, except maybe further east where the FL will be lower. Right now this wet snow or rain won't help much. But guidance - CMC, ECM, ICON, and GFS - is kind of straddling the edge between a nothing event and ~15cm. It could easily shift either way. I would hedge towards a warmer solution right now if forced to guess.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@altaski8, I have had a word with him upstairs and the 12z will put the heavy snow back.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Smokin Joe wrote:
@altaski8, I have had a word with him upstairs and the 12z will put the heavy snow back.

Hallelujah!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still looks like an unsettled period setting on from 26 February for the northern side of the Alps. As others have mentioned the ensembles are still rolling back and forth so picking out detail is going to take time. There are cold spells around 26/27 Feb and 01/02 March, but as stormy weather crosses over you may well see some rain to snow set ups. For what’s its worth (as ever do not read too much into the figures). Here‘s how 12z GFS saw snowfall to +186.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Longterm forecast for March suggests a sunny and dry month ahead.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Whitegold, great means I can ski ice in the morning ,drink Rose in the sun and go for a bike ride in the afternoon . We need more of you on here
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rob Mackley, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rob Mackley wrote:
@Whitegold, great means I can ski ice in the morning ,drink Rose in the sun and go for a bike ride in the afternoon . We need more of you on here

No we don't Very Happy
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
psyxologos wrote:
luigi wrote:
Skied from La Thuile over to La Rosiere today. At midday, the sun came out and it was showing 11C at 1900m on a chairlift thermometer. The soft corn snow was enjoyable, but it did feel a bit too springlike. Don't tell Whitegold that global boiling is back on!! wink

I am travelling to La Thuile on Sunday. I really hope the temperatures will be nowhere as high as you say they were yesterday. Hopefully a snowfall this week, perhaps? Here is to hoping.

There was report of 15cm there this week. Also, probably the best snow conditions I encountered over the 5 days I was in Aosta Valley were at La Thuile, the combination of catching enough out of the westerlies as they funnel through the Little St Bernard Pass and the NE aspect of many of the runs conserves it well.

La Rosiere gets a lot of sun from its southerly aspect, I expect it will be suffering from Spring conditions this weekend, but catch it as it softens and before it gets too sticky and it's nice. Looks hopeful for some colder weather and snow by middle of next week maybe??

Here is to hoping Luigi. I just do not fancy skiing with a T shirt. I would very much prefer a really cold holiday. But I won't be getting it, it seems.
snow report
Charliegolf wrote:
Rob Mackley wrote:

No we don't Very Happy

Every village need a ... Whitegold ...
ski holidays
Snowmageddon March

If these cold temps play out that would equal snow down to the lake and carnage on Wednesday!
ski holidays
@BobinCH, hope so! Not the traffic carnage but the low temperatures and snow!
ski holidays
Yup classic NW stau for Wednesday. Cold, dry snow especially in the northwest Alps where orographic enhancement is strongest. On the latest charts that's again followed by a ridge and warmer air for the weekend. We're in this weird cycle of cold mid-week - warm weekend. But even if it does play out that way, there's a couple of really good days in there.

The latest GFS and CMC flip the script and start hitting the southern Alps around the 29th. High precipitation signal days 8-10. That's a pattern change if it's real. But it's way out there and uncertainty is high.
ski holidays
Warm and sunny! Time to style it up (could be quite blowy tomorrow).

http://youtube.com/v/DeiU_XzIqjU

Meanwhile 06z keeps the interest going at the turn of the month. This low pressure system Should catch the attention of the dirty south.

latest report
ECM agrees, a mythical "Genoa low" Very Happy. A bit far away to be sure though

ski holidays
The latest GFS brings some snow to the Dolomites on Wednesday. That's a pretty potent mid-level low that it's spinning up. If that digs further west or deepens sooner a larger area of the Alps could be impacted midweek. The 00z ECM has it too.
latest report
Everybody gets into the action on the 10-day GFS snow QPF chart. Even the distant, small, low lying ranges.

latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
.......Warm and sunny! Time to style it up......

Ok sensor is in direct sunlight, but......

snow conditions
@Weathercam, have you styled up though?

Cheeky Martini in the sun with the dogs?
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, I'm actually in my lycra having been on the turbo* in the garage in the sunshine, think that counts Very Happy

*off-ski with bad knee Sad
snow report
12z GFS sticking to it’s guns...

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
munich_irish wrote:
ECM agrees, a mythical "Genoa low" Very Happy. A bit far away to be sure though

La Grave?
latest report
This blog is always worth a look if you are interested in snowpack conditions and the general background in Tirol.

https://avalanche.report/blog/avalanche-warning-service-tirol.blogspot.com/4656906655560924118
ski holidays
@BobinCH, Monterosa, Zermatt, Bardonecchia, even the Dolomites. However, as ever, things will change.
snow report
https://longrangesnowcenter.net/2020/02/23/europe-on-the-long-term-23rd-feb-2/

My final forecast for the long term in Europe this season. The final days of the month and first 10 days in March look more hopeful for snowfall prospects according to models and the tropical drivers. But this will subside in mid-March.

Thanks to everyone who has supported the blogs over the season Smile
Hopefully the next few weeks are fruitful for snowfall.
snow conditions
With colder temperatures on the way so too comes the potential for a generally snowier picture across Europe. As ever the figures will shift about, but this is how 06z GFS sees it to the end of next weekend.

snow report
@Jellybeans1000, not sure that it is correct to say that the northern alps are having an average to above average snow season. For higher elevations that is probably a reasonable statement however lower down that seems incorrect. Given the number of mild ie rain episodes in recent weeks that must have had an effect on total snow depths.
ski holidays
Worth keeping an eye on wind speeds in the coming week.

The northern side of the Alps could see some pretty stormy weather especially in the west.

At higher altitudes the combination of this with potential for relatively high snowfall could cause some disruption, but if it does play it smooth...

latest report
Raining and 8deg at 2000m in Mayrhofen, Ahorn and Penken this morning. Rain cleared this afternoon but temps up Penken were 10deg. Very very mild, snow was getting pretty slushy.
snow report
deleted

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 23-02-20 18:11; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
The GFS continues to show an active stormy period for the foreseeable future. But the last few runs have slowly been moving away from the deep, amplified trough at the end of the month. That decreases snow chances for southern areas a little bit. But there are so many polar shortwaves in the flow and a relatively complex setup to resolve, so I expect additional changes in the modeling in coming days. The big trough could easily reappear on the charts. As is there's still a lot of precipitation modeled for most of the Alps and even lesser ranges.
ski holidays
I don't believe the amounts forecast but it makes nice viewing all the same!!

ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, which site is that ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy