Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 19/20 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
altaski8 wrote:
Honestly @nozawaonsen, there are only a handful of posts about current conditions and upcoming weather over the past 2 pages of this thead. And half of them are mine.

Please stop with the @altaski8s unless you have a specific weather-related comment to my post. Seriously.

We have had ten years of threads off Noz where everyone played nicely, either read or contributed with no PMs being exchanged. If it works dont fix it.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 17-02-20 18:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Smokin Joe,
Quote:

We have had ten years of theads off Noz where everyone played nicely, either read or contributed with no PMs being exchanged. If it works dont fix it.

Hear hear.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Smokin Joe, +2
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+3
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great, the handbags have been put away but we now have people clogging up the thread by showing off that they can count! NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Raining in Valmeinier....fingers crossed it turns to snow very soon
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@leggyblonde, Actually I'm practicing my addition.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Smokin Joe wrote:
altaski8 wrote:
Honestly @nozawaonsen, there are only a handful of posts about current conditions and upcoming weather over the past 2 pages of this thead. And half of them are mine.

Please stop with the @altaski8s unless you have a specific weather-related comment to my post. Seriously.

We have had ten years of theads off Noz where everyone played nicely, either read or contributed with no PMs being exchanged. If it works dont fix it.

PMs are useful for keeping posts like yours and mine out of the main thread.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Things are firming up for tonight, the snowline should drop towards midnight to finish around 900-1200 meters with 25cm falling in the Chablais/Mont-Blanc area and 10cm further south, petering out around Grenoble so the Vercors will get nada. There will be a few more flakes on Wednesday then a return to fine, calm weather on Thursday.

Not much to change the very poor conditions at low altitude.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scotland saw big snow last week and will get another blast of freshy this week.

Around 100-200cm in places.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’ve started looking at Wengen for the first week in March, way out in FI but I hope it doesn’t change Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow holding up well. But warm. Clouds building. Weather shifting temporarily tonight.

Right out in the depths of far FI GFS 12z brings cold and snowy weather for the Alps and Pyrenees in early March. I say this not because I think those charts will verify, but more to note the option remains on the table. Keep the faith.

http://youtube.com/v/RxOBOhRECoo
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Feeling very spring like in the 3Vs right now ... piste snow is still wintry above 2,500 meters but is beginning to turn at mid-level altitudes. Very firm in the morning, softening up by lunchtime and sticky by early PM. Jockeys down to Le Praz (1,300 meters) was shut today with the last 200 meters being pretty bare. Unheard of for this time of year. It started raining in La Tania at 2PM with the thermometer clocking 12C. It was raining all the way up to 2,100 meters at some point but as the sun went down the temps have started to drop. A mixture of snow showers and sunny intervals in the offing for the next couple of days with the sun forecast to return on Thursday and Friday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2019-2020 is going to go down as the rainiest winter season in the European Alps in recorded history.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
...my only comment re above would be that I like to read all the knowledgeable posters as it's all entertaining really, can't take it too seriously, it's not a competition, there are no prizes for being accurate, but +1 @Alpinebear Smile

Snow settling at 1500m in the last hour after a very wet day below 2000m, temps will drop but I don't expect we'll see much at 1200m in the morning. Wednesday a slightly better set up, much colder, so whatever falls will be nicer quality.

GEM op has 3 runs in a row going for a NW'ly during the last week of Feb, and here's the 12z GFS Noz mentions. Far far away, it won't happen as shown, but a pretty northern stau nonetheless

gfs-0-324

Packing my bags, won't have access to computers, so keep the good stuff coming
snow report
kitenski wrote:
seemingly more thaw/freeze snap cycles in scotland which is perfect for creating a concrete base, then some nice forecast fresh on top! May have to start clearing the diary if the winds look like ever dropping.....

What is a good website for a reliable and honest outline of Scottish conditions?
snow report
How far back do precipitation records go for the Alps?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 17-02-20 19:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I find this a handy app for tracking weather fronts on a handy satellite display.

Especially close to your holiday or when in resort.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/weather-radar/id545993260

It works great for cloud cover too on sunny/summer holidays. I’ve just got back from a weekend in Palma when it was cloudy for the day, it enabled me to get the train to Soller for a day trip knowing beforehand it was going to be sunny on that side of the island. Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 17-02-20 21:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
SLF’s take.

” Weather forecast through Tuesday, 18.02.2020

Snow will fall on Monday night except on the southern flank of the Alps; the largest quantities will fall in the north. The snowfall level will drop from 1400 m to 800 m. In the morning in the east there will be some residual cloud and final snowflakes. Otherwise, it will be partly sunny in the north. It will be mostly sunny in the inneralpine regions and in the west and south.

Fresh snow

From Monday afternoon until Tuesday morning above approximately 1600 m:

Vaud Alps, northern Alpine ridge,
extreme west of Lower Valais: 10 to 20 cm, but up to 30 cm in some localities

Jura, rest of the northern flank of the Alps, rest of Lower Valais and of both Goms and northern Grisons, Silvretta, Samnaun: 5 to 10 cm

Elsewhere: a few centimetres, remaining dry in the south

Temperature

At midday at 2000 m: about -6 °C in the north and -2 °C in the south

Wind

On Monday night in the north and at elevated altitudes, moderate to strong, otherwise light to moderate from the west.”
latest report
@8611, www.winterhighland.info as good as any for Scottish conditions.
snow conditions
Quote:

@8611, www.winterhighland.info as good as any for Scottish conditions

this f.b group is excellent too https://www.facebook.com/groups/Britishbackcountry/
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
@psyxologos, cooler and a little snow middle of this week, then warm and often sunny from the weekend for a bit. Not unpleasant but more spring like than the time of year would suggest.

Thank you very much!
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
psyxologos wrote:

I am travelling to La Thuile on Sunday. I really hope the temperatures will be nowhere as high as you say they were yesterday. Hopefully a snowfall this week, perhaps? Here is to hoping.

There was a foehn over the weekend but conditions on piste, except where there was majority man made snow, were very good despite the temperatures. Off piste was a mix of wind blown powder (nice to ski), hardpack with good grip and ice. The ice was to be avoided.

Nights are still quite long so no need to panic, yet.

Fingers crossed!
ski holidays
@davidof, on the way back from Japan, looks like road bike could get first excursion of the year this week down South.

Especially as knee is a tad strained and needs a rest rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Weathercam, get better soon.

Strange, kind of... cold feeling this morning. Odd. But I like it!
snow report

I'd say it isn't a good snow year in this part of the Alps (Bormio). I'm standing on the Stelvio at around 1300m and it is green all around except the man made snow.
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, on the way back from Japan, looks like road bike could get first excursion of the year this week down South.

Less snow than forecast overnight, about 5cm in the area here but snowline was more like 1600/1800 meters and maybe 10cm further north, perhaps 20cm at altitude in the MB area.

So yeah, going out on the bike a bit later when it warms up.
snow conditions
Cold with broken sun now. 10cm+ fresh up high in Arlberg.

FI still giving positive vibes for early March.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We got about 5cm above 2000m....freshen up, but that's it. Locals still think weds night will deliver more?
snow conditions
@JimSearle, locals are looking at the same forecasts as everyone else, but yes those forecasts are saying that too.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Cold with broken sun now. 10cm+ fresh up high in Arlberg.

FI still giving positive vibes for early March.

Forgive my ignorance in these matters, @nozawaonsen, but does that chart indicate it's going to be very cold in Scandanavia? (We're off to Are in mid-March and it appears unseasonably mild there at the moment!).
ski holidays
@LOTA, that particular chart is still relatively mild, but stormy for Are. But it’s too far out to take especially seriously at this stage either way.
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, Thank you. As always, hoping for the best and planning for the worst! Very Happy
latest report
@LOTA, As I understand it the colours do not represent absolute temperature but the height of the 500hPa pressure level. Having said that I think Noza has said in the past that there is a correlation.
This might be why you are thinking very cold when that is not the case.
Happy to be corrected though.
snow conditions
@cad99uk, thank you. So from that chart, can I assume the forecast is for very low pressure over northern Sweden on March 1? Thanks.
ski holidays
@LOTA, Yes the isobars are surface level pressure. So that does look very low as you say.
snow report
@cad99uk, I thank you. Fingers crossed for some snow, too! Very Happy
snow conditions
Zermatt still in with chance of snow early March, I know I know, so far away etc. This is perfect for a March 7th arrival though!

snow report
This is the fun part! The start of March is way off into the distance of FI. Will the pattern strengthen or get us all excited and then just disappear!
snow conditions
I know this is at the extreme end of the forecast range and a huge amount could change but this shows a vastly different set up to any period of the winter so far (in weather terms it would actually be "spring").

Even snow in the Dolomites!

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy