Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 19/20 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
ptex wrote:
Such a shame the tone of this weather thread have changed. The weather outlook threads always seemed to be a useful steer of generally what is happening with the weather, not too serious and somewhere for a steer (in my case when to think about heading to the slopes for a short trip at short notice) or perhaps somewhere for others to look ahead what might be coming up for their holiday booked a long time ago, all with some good-natured banter.

Is this season as good as the particularly good last year? No. Is is a complete disaster? No. Sure, off-piste in the areas I have skied have not been great as some previous years but piste skiing has been enjoyable with the snow holding up well (in the areas I have been) and suprisingly good at the start of the season and far from a disaster currently; I have skied worse.

Can we please get back to somehere that isn't who is the more optimistic or pessimistic and to what we all have in common - skiing and the enjoyment of the mountains.

+ 1
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
luigi wrote:
Skied from La Thuile over to La Rosiere today. At midday, the sun came out and it was showing 11C at 1900m on a chairlift thermometer. The soft corn snow was enjoyable, but it did feel a bit too springlike. Don't tell Whitegold that global boiling is back on!! wink

I am travelling to La Thuile on Sunday. I really hope the temperatures will be nowhere as high as you say they were yesterday. Hopefully a snowfall this week, perhaps? Here is to hoping.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@munich_irish, on the “base“ point absolutely I think it means that figure relates to the valley. As I said no ability to verify the stats. [edit: hmm, now not sure which figures you were referring to?]

As for the heights of resorts sure a number of them are below 1000m but most of the skiing is higher than that. Your talking about the valley runs which are normally kept running all through spring so I’m not sure they will be struggling too much. Here’s Leogang at 840m for example.

I certainly didn’t mean to suggest there was a large amount of snow coming this week just that it’s heading cooler for a spell not milder and hopefully not 15C at night again.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 17-02-20 8:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@psyxologos, cooler and a little snow middle of this week, then warm and often sunny from the weekend for a bit. Not unpleasant but more spring like than the time of year would suggest.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
New weather super computer to change the world of forecasting? Or not..?!

BBC News - Met Office forecasters set for 'billion pound' supercomputer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51504002
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Handy Turnip, an impressive bit of kit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

The Südföhn which was driving some of the very mild overnight temperatures is on its way out for now.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
psyxologos wrote:

I am travelling to La Thuile on Sunday. I really hope the temperatures will be nowhere as high as you say they were yesterday. Hopefully a snowfall this week, perhaps? Here is to hoping.

There was a foehn over the weekend but conditions on piste, except where there was majority man made snow, were very good despite the temperatures. Off piste was a mix of wind blown powder (nice to ski), hardpack with good grip and ice. The ice was to be avoided.

Nights are still quite long so no need to panic, yet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It looks like a general 10-20cm today into tonight for the NW Alps above 2000m, with maybe a little bit more in the Chamonix to Les Diablerets corridor. 5-10 down to around 1400m (locally lower). Freezing levels should steadily drop late this afternoon.

Not a blockbuster but could setup a powder day in some areas tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
altaski8 wrote:

The only thing that gives me pause about clarky is the selfie stick. When I lived in Utah, nobody had them. Matter of fact, I don't think they're even allowed there.

You couldn’t make this up Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The guy is 2 cherries short. Please don’t encourage him and maybe he’ll go away. On second thoughts that’s probably too optimistic...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
He's a bit like Stanton; mildly amusing but also a bit worrying.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
2waterford wrote:
ptex wrote:
Such a shame the tone of this weather thread have changed. The weather outlook threads always seemed to be a useful steer of generally what is happening with the weather, not too serious and somewhere for a steer (in my case when to think about heading to the slopes for a short trip at short notice) or perhaps somewhere for others to look ahead what might be coming up for their holiday booked a long time ago, all with some good-natured banter.

Is this season as good as the particularly good last year? No. Is is a complete disaster? No. Sure, off-piste in the areas I have skied have not been great as some previous years but piste skiing has been enjoyable with the snow holding up well (in the areas I have been) and suprisingly good at the start of the season and far from a disaster currently; I have skied worse.

Can we please get back to somehere that isn't who is the more optimistic or pessimistic and to what we all have in common - skiing and the enjoyment of the mountains.

+ 1
+2
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was just reviewing the climate averages for Bavaria and was surprised to see that 1981-2010 averages are a little cooler than I thought. Every day for the next 7 days is forecast to be above normal, even the coldest - Wednesday. That just highlights the fact that the upcoming cool period does not actually involve a cold airmass.

Most mountainous areas should be cold enough, however. And for a change there should be some consistency to the cooler temperatures. I think it should be a good week for skiing, and the snow magnets and microclimates could sneakily pick up some dry powder after a pasty refresher today.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@denfinella,

Verbier mid-station 2415. Same as always. I post the picture rather than the link so its easier to view. If you want the link here it is:

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Verbier/6day/mid

The measuring station is in the Lac de Vaux at 2550. It was above at Xmas and NY, below in Jan and has been above, and I suspect will continue to be for most of Feb.

The majority of the good skiing in Verbier is between 2200m (Ruinettes) and 3300m (Mont Fort) so higher than this. I can tell you the conditions up high are really excellent.

I used the weather thread to determine the popular SH resorts. And most of the skiing in those resorts is above 2000m.

I object to the pompous little twit coming on here, trying to impress everyone with his weather knowledge while disparaging comments from posters who’ve consistently provided valuable advice for years. It’s hardly difficult to spot in the comments and reactions. The downhill direction of this thread can be directly linked to his arrival. Unfortunately the little snowflake seems unwilling/incapable of seeing this and continues with his tiresome comments - point in case his comment about @clarky999 above

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 17-02-20 12:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can we please be a little less pompous about this forum being exclusively for forecasts by qualified meteorologists and get back to enjoying the quarrels between optimists, doom-mongers and the rose-tinted selfie-sticked?
snow report
For all of those wanting this place to go back to what it was, it clearly isn’t going to happen while @altaski8, is still here
ski holidays
@snoozeboy, I have a rear and forward mounted go pro (tints optional) so I can capture shots of my selfie stick when I’m snowploughing the backcountry if that helps?

Still quite windy at moment, but temperatures starting to fall off.
snow report
I find @polo, and @nozawaonsen, the most reliable for forecasts. No offence to the others for trying!
ski holidays
The thread is meant to be fun.

Keep it up beat.

Play the ball not the man.

Don’t be too rude or needy.

It’s meant to be fun.

http://youtube.com/v/rph_1DODXDU
snow conditions
deleted

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 17-02-20 12:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Surprised this one hasn't been posted in here yet for the lovers of doom!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51524278

A French ski resort has used helicopters to deliver snow after mild weather dried out its slopes, threatening it with closure.

The Luchon-Superbagnères resort in the Pyrenees arranged for around 50 tonnes of snow to be dropped on its slopes.

Taken from higher mountains, the snow was dumped on slopes for beginners and children on Friday and Saturday.

Temperatures have risen above 10C across the Pyrenees this week, leaving ski slopes devoid of snow.

Milder weather and a lack of snow during winter are trends that meteorologists have linked to climate change.

In order to keep Luchon-Superbagnères open, the local council arranged for snow to be sent at a cost of more than 5,000 euros (£4,150).
ski holidays
Drop the bitterness and snide comments @BobinCH. I’ve always had a lot of time for your posts and reports on here. We all know what a pest “he” is, but you’re coming across a bit desperate now!
ski holidays
@Dashed, point taken
snow report
@altaski8, please stop with the daft PMs. They are not welcome.
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:

It was a polite response to your PM. Everyone prefers that private conversations stay private. It is a distraction for the whole thread. Please stop calling me out. Heed your own advice.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 17-02-20 13:08; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
In other news, it is currently snowing (and raining) in parts of Switzerland and France.
ski holidays
@altaski8, just stop. You initiated a series of rather tiresome messages which I certainly did not invite. I gave you some honest advice. You didn’t heed it.
latest report
Honestly @nozawaonsen, there are only a handful of posts about current conditions and upcoming weather over the past 2 pages of this thead. And half of them are mine.

Please stop with the @altaski8s unless you have a specific weather-related comment to my post. Seriously.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@altaski8, just stop. You initiated a series of rather tiresome messages which I certainly did not invite. I gave you some honest advice. You didn’t heed it.

BS
ski holidays
@altaski8, happy to print them for everyone to see if you want. They are all stored there. Are you suggesting you didn’t initiate them or that they weren’t tiresome? Both are true.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 17-02-20 13:21; edited 2 times in total
snow report
I just hope, most fervently, that @nozawaonsen doesn't get pushed away. That would be a real loss.
snow report
@Hurtle, having too much fun skiing right now, but it is chilly typing out responses on the lift up! Wink
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
@altaski8, happy to print them for everyone to see if you want. They are all stored there. Are you suggesting you didn’t initiate them or that they weren’t tiresome? Both are true.

I sent you a private message a few weeks ago because several posters requested that the thread not be cluttered with exactly this kind of nonsense. And that is clearly still the preference even though you seem intent on dragging it back down. I thought you were suggesting that I initiated this most recent back and forth in the thread - hence the "BS." Hopefully we can put this to rest now.
latest report
@altaski8, yep like I said having too much fun skiing right now. Wink
snow report
@nozawaonsen,
Quote:

having too much fun skiing right now

Good! Very Happy
latest report
@BobinCH, just a quick message to say I've read your reply. I'd post my own thoughts, but it sounds like this thread is (happily) moving back on topic, so for me to engage in another contentious debate might be opening a can of worms Laughing . Enjoy the skiing!

Back to the weather: apparently yesterday was the warmest ever February day in multiple spots in the northern Alps. A few stats: 18C in the Swiss resort of Adelboden (1350m); 18.2C in Chatel (1100m). Rain this evening for these locations, turning to snow later but possibly not at resort level.

Looking ahead for the Alps in general, after cooler weather in the next few days (some snow for the northern Alps) and then another warm spell (drier, thankfully), GFS and GEM are still interested in a cooler (not cold) period at the end of the month - though still not within a reliable timeframe.
ski holidays
seemingly more thaw/freeze snap cycles in scotland which is perfect for creating a concrete base, then some nice forecast fresh on top! May have to start clearing the diary if the winds look like ever dropping.....

spring run looking decent!

snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:

I'm pleased I'm not the only one Laughing
snow report
Quick resume from my Monterosa trip that I was getting so anxious about the weather for beforehand... As it happens, it turned out better than I'd feared but not as good as I'd hoped. Wind shut down pretty well all the area for 2 days, but we did get some skiing in on one open run and on a day trip to Pila (only a third of which was open). Managed to ski for the rest of the week, mainly on rather tired snow which got hard and icy late on, but did have one good dump of about 20-25cm, making Friday's skiing lovely. Warmed up as the day went on and then refroze, though, so conditions on Saturday were not nearly so pleasant.

But the good base at the beginning of the season, and relative lack of rain, meant that all the pistes were open with hardly any bare patches to speak of. All in all, though, probably the worst snow conditions we've had in the 9 or so times we've been there, and they really, really need a decent dump of some nice new snow, and none seems imminent. But we still had a great time! Hard to feel too miserable when you're sitting on the balcony of a mountain restaurant in the sunshine, drinking some reasonably priced beer.
snow conditions
@J2R, glad you had a good time!

As the cheerful ditty playing across the terrace suggests...

It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive
(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
I just want to live while I'm alive
It's my life

If your rockin a cold beer in the mountains your hitting the highs.

Now where‘s that waitress...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 17-02-20 15:23; edited 2 times in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy