Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 19/20 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
The Arlberg

Chamonix

Colder tomorrow before temperatures rise to well above average over the weekend, before dropping abruptly on Monday.

The winds should not be as strong tomorrow, but still look high to the weekend which looks sunny and spring like.

In terms of snowfall this is how GFS sees the shape.

I wouldn’t take the numbers too seriously though based on that the Arlberg looks to do well.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Genuinely interested to know, but why do you lot keep feeding your troll?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The 18z GFS really hits the nordstau areas hard next week. Keeps it going from Monday - Thursday and also gets moderate precipitation down to the southeastern Alps. I really hope it's right, but I think a shallower trof with a strong front and brief stau is more likely. I would like to see more support for a prolonged northerly flow and high amplitude trof, especially considering the persistence of the strong westerlies so far this month.

There have been numerous cases this winter where several models printed out big snow totals in the 5-9 day period only to slowly back down to more modest amounts in the short term.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yet more shocking weather forecast for the weekend in this disaster of a season. Powder to low levels followed by sunshine Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the update for your backyard Bob. Nice job. I think Friday is shaping up to be a nice powder day, especially in the western part of the northern Alps. Should be lighter winds and probably some sun. Hopefully we can squeeze out at least 15cm for lots of places.
Further east, the precipitation may linger. Get out early though. Freezing levels are forecast to rise quickly, reaching most summits on Saturday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
18z GFS precipitation and snow equivalent through day 10

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@altaski8, you sort of act like this thread belongs to you. It’s very strange. If you really must hang around please don’t comment on my posts. Suspect some other might have the same request...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH, have you not had a PM yet ? Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At a risk of overstepping my place here, it looks like the 00z really backs a period of cold and potentially snowy weather in the Northern Alps from Monday onwards.

Keeping those fingers firmly crossed, especially for my friends booked into Semnoz!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perhaps this might be appropriate

http://youtube.com/v/ohDB5gbtaEQ
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chriswg, below average temperatures today across much of the Alps, further snowfall to come tomorrow night in the northern Alps before a sunny springlike weekend with temperatures well above average. GFS increasingly keen on a cold plunge later on Monday, ECM not quite persuaded yet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, it's a public forum. If you post in it then you have to prepared for anyone to comment whether you like it or not. Also, can you try to post altitudes when you post Snowforecast screenshots,? Here's my tuppence...

I know you two have history but your screenshot only tells half the story as the mild part of the storm is out of the picture. I'm not saying your description is wrong, but you could also interpret it as: rain to fairly high levels (to mid mountain for many lower resorts in the NW Alps) before it turns to snow at the end. Both descriptions are arguably correct, depending what altitudes you are focussing on. This (and vice versa) applies to a lot of sH comments on this thread.

A more accurate description might be something like: a net gain for 1400m+ (or so), some decent powder at the top, but too much rain lower down for any snow to have much of an effect.

In the NW Alps as a whole, many higher resorts are having a good or OK season. Enough snow, less rain, minimal lift disruption in Jan and now fresh snow in Feb. But for lower resorts it's been difficult - even disastrous. There are still some resorts which haven't been able to open anything more than a single slope all season, and others which are totally closed (in peak money making season) following all the rain of the last fortnight.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 12-02-20 9:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GFS suggesting around average temps early next week

whereas ECM going with a good deal milder

though by the middle of the week both are pretty much in the same place with about average temps all round (GFS a a bit cooler)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Middle of next week. Temperature anomalies.

GFS

ECM

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some Föhny weather coming which is rarely very funny (see what I did there, rhymed Föhn with fun, but...anyway... tough crowd...)

snow report
altaski8 wrote:
Hopefully we can squeeze out at least 15cm for lots of places.

15cm where there is an established base is nice, otherwise it will just melt off in the first sun.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
Some Föhny weather coming which is rarely very funny (see what I did there, rhymed Föhn with fun, but...anyway... tough crowd...)

Aaaaargh, it’s all going to melt, it’s all going to melt. Put the fat skis away. Cancel the kids lessons. Get a lift pass refund. Let’s pack the walking boots. What a disaster. This is a joke. Why always me? I can’t bear the stress. What’s the snow going to be like at 11:15 on Monday on Jerusalem? Will my pants get wet? Very Happy
latest report
@franga, +1
ski holidays
Not to be Mr Doom, but I think we are heading for a very dry second half of February in Alps. The last picture in today's EC 00 has a very strong indication for this and is supported by a strong polar vortex, strong AO and strong NAO forecasts. The upside; might be beautiful spring weather and nice spring snow.
snow conditions
@Woosh, if you could refrain from using the D word, apparently it's on the banned list Laughing Laughing
latest report
davidof wrote:
altaski8 wrote:
Hopefully we can squeeze out at least 15cm for lots of places.

15cm where there is an established base is nice, otherwise it will just melt off in the first sun.

That's true. Think the base above 1600m in the N Alps is pretty good though
snow report
Btw, the AO index set a new positive record earlier this week when it reached 6,34. All that cold air in the Artic ha no way of escaping down to Europe.
latest report
It should be a great weekend for skiing fresh snow and sunshine (though maybe high clouds on Sunday), perfect to work up a thirst before sitting in the sun drinking a sherbet or three Very Happy
snow report
@Woosh, like @Polo, said on the Les Gets thread the cold air will doubtless break free in Spring and Summer! Wink
snow conditions
@Woosh, I generally agree with you (more pertinently so do most weather pros, not sure my view counts for much) but have to try to be positive to keep folk happy Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, Smile
snow report
@munich_irish,

http://youtube.com/v/d-diB65scQU
ski holidays
I thought the 0z was a step down from 18z for the northern Alps. Less favorable mid-level flow angle and a lot drier days 5-9. But the 18z was an outlier anyway. It is now more in line with other guidance. Even with a northwesterly flow, there's still no real polar/arctic air to tap into. It is bottled up close to the pole.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nozawaonsen, I am very happy as off to the Arlberg this weekend, unlike most recent visits I should be able to see where I am going, not get soaking wet and not be blown off the mountain (less sure about that bit.....). Only problem is likely to be half the population of the Tirol will think the same!
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
Incidentally next weekend could be a bit bumpy in the UK again. Worth watching.

Got some inside info from the EA and they are planning in Desmond being worse than Chiara.
Good look to all those travelling
ski holidays
@denfinella, yes its Verbier 2415. For some reason SF is now magnified on my screen so to get the storm on Thurs and Sun on Sat that’s all I can fit in on the screenshot. It’s the same screenshot I always post which most regulars here are probably aware of but appreciate not all. Re @altaski8, he continues to patronize everyone on here with his sarky, know it all comments. I don’t appear to be the only one he winds up... How @Nozawaonsen puts up with him is anyone’s guess. I usually welcome comments...
latest report
Certainly in Gateshead.........................
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, as in the storm will be worse or the effects will be worse as it follows so closely to Ciara?
snow conditions
It looks like a few stations in Switzerland recorded around 100cm of cumulative snowfall this week. Gornergrat is reporting 130cm I think, although the plot looks like it may have been tainted by windblown scouring and deposition. Overall most locations seem to have received between 20cm and 60cm for the week (with the Arlberg about the same), so the really big computer generated totals from late last week and this weekend appear not to have verified. Unfortunately the wind makes automated measurements unreliable, and I don't trust the measurements of reported new snow from ski resorts. In any case, it looks like a base-building week for most mid and high areas north of the main ridge, with more to come tomorrow. Hopefully the wind didn't do too much damage.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:

Got some inside info from the EA and they are planning in Desmond being worse than Chiara.

Wise folk that ski over HT take the kids out of school on Friday to avoid Dennis, or Dave or whatever it's called and catch the first lifts on Saturday AM ...

The temperature swing and differential between this Friday, Sunday and Tuesday at somewhere like Courchevel is remarkable. Not sure what this is going to do to the off-piste snow but it should make for some good on-piste skiing next week (as long as your edges are sharp).
latest report
@franga, Dennis indeed.
Wise folks take kids out of school in January wink
snow report
franga wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:

Wise folk that ski over HT take the kids out of school on Friday to avoid Dennis, or Dave or whatever it's called and catch the first lifts on Saturday AM ...

The temperature swing and differential between this Friday, Sunday and Tuesday at somewhere like Courchevel is remarkable. Not sure what this is going to do to the off-piste snow but it should make for some good on-piste skiing next week (as long as your edges are sharp).

flying out 7am saturday morning. Hoping to get ahead of Dennis and a healthy tail-wind get us there early but could all go pear-shaped
snow report
Does anybody else find the practice of naming surface weather features kind of strange in Europe? I was just reading about how the Met Office does it in the UK based on criteria including potential to cause damage. But often damaging winds are caused by the synoptic-scale pressure gradient generated by one or sometimes a sequence of high and low pressure centers. A cold front spiraling out from a potentially distant low pressure center further concentrates enhanced winds along this sharp pressure/thermal gradient. So should we called it cold front Ellen or pressure gradient Gerda when the high or low pressure centers are 1000km away and not directly causing damage? What if there is no low pressure center anywhere around, but instead just a very strong jet streak and lots of vertical mixing bringing the strong winds close to the surface?

In the case of hurricanes, the storm center is creating the pressure field and winds almost entirely by itself in correlation to its minimum central pressure (but also slightly dependent on the in-situ pressure field). Hurricanes are almost entirely disconnected from mid-latitude weather features. So I kind of understand why we give these entities their own names. But mid-latitude systems are integrally related to their environment and the other surface and upper level features. Naming just the L on the map gives these features too much credit. These are not isolated entities; they are not hurricanes.
ski holidays
@altaski8, could be argued that giving any weather feature or event a name is childish but to bring it up just to use lots of sciency talk on a snow forecasting thread is more so.
snow report
leggyblonde wrote:
@altaski8, could be argued that giving any weather feature or event a name is childish but to bring it up just to use lots of sciency talk on a snow forecasting thread is more so.

Oh OK, so now we're making fun of weather-educated people on a weather forum.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy