Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alipne Summer holidays

Poster: A snowHead
For a family of 2 adults a 13 year old, a 10 year old and a 1 year old.

Preferrably Austria but Italy an option too.

We want to do something a bit different this year if we can.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had a great holiday in mayrhofen a few years ago. Had a week there and a week in Zell am See - both were excellent and loads to keep my kids entertained. Area47 was great too but maybe a bit too extreme for your 1 year old.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pretty much any alpine ski resort will have plenty of hiking, mountain biking and somewhere with a nearby glacier skiing, think a bit about what you want to do, is it all family time or one looking after the littlest while the other tries to exhaust the bigger two? Then maybe we can refine it, Though you won't go wrong with @boabski's suggestions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We go to Morzine or Les Gets every summer for between 1 and 4 weeks. Sometimes we do 1 week there and one week somewhere else (Mz then Zermatt last year, LG and Grindelwald this year).

Love it. Usually quite warm and sunny, good cycling for me and mrs, loads for smallest one to do - pools, parks, ropes courses, lifts to play on and mountains to climb. We love it. Check places that have v discount lift access - PdS has Multipass for 2 Euro a day pp which gives ped access to lifts, swimming pool access etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rumdiary Have a look at our Facebook Page @theredandwhiteskicompany for some Summer ideas in and around Flachau, you won't regret it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any resort near Salzburg would be good, as it's a lovely city to visit. If you're looking for a small, quiet place then Niederau is nice, good hotels, woodland and hillwalks and an open air pool. Bigger towns like Saalbach would probably have more stuff to do, depends on what you want.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Italy an option too.

I'd luv to do a bit of Via ferrata in the Dollies. Some of the rifugios open in the summer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No one will be surprised at my asking, 'Why not Switzerland?'

It'd be useful to have more of an idea about what you are looking for: Hotel, self-catering apartments? Walking? Cycling? Are your children OK with a boat trip, underground train ride, gondolas? Would you like to have access to swimming pools? WOuld you prefer a single base location or would you like to try 2-3? And budget expectations. Would you be driving down or fly-drive? How about a train excursion across the mountains?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
St.Johann in tyrol is a nice base for a family. Lovely outdoor pool with slides which is free if your staying in the town. We had a car and explored all the neighbouring towns such as kizbuhel and all the ski welt villages. Ellamau has a great mountain for kids activities and also has a great waterpark called Kaiserbad. There is also a lovely lake near Going .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SkiWelt is great for kids in the summer. Good things to do at the top of Ellmau, Soll, Scheffau, Westendorf. Good swimming pools/water parks etc etc.

Most Austrian ski resorts do summer really well IME.

Another favourite with us for summer is Meiringen. Plenty of great stuff to visit there and all via public transport if you don't have a car.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Why not Switzerland?

Interlaken is lovely in summer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Get thee to a kinder hotel! The one in Serfaus is pretty good. 1 and 10yr old taken care of and some of them have teenager clubs. Super outdoorsy, everyone well looked after.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We did Interlaken last summer .... hmmm. Interlaken in my opinion is a central base to visit places. It was full of Chinese and Middle Eastern folks and a Swiss watch shops !!!

Sightseeing was lovely but very expensive and priced us out of doing a lot of things.

We did Annecy the year before and had lovely time. Lots to see and do and the lake is just lovely to swim in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m unconvinced by Interlaken too @Hils68,
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rumdiary, Zell am See. All activities on land, water and even to an extent snow, are available. Big choice of where to stay for whatever you want. Main thing is its as big a summer destination as it is winter. Not many places can claim that?
latest report
South Tyrol, so borders Austria and Italy, plenty of options from old towns to mountains, glaciers, lakes and Via Ferratas.
Or more into the Dollies. Have stayed Arabba several times in summer, less (and more) strenuous walking options as well as drives, VFs WW1 stuff, etc.
snow report
@rumdiary, Let me know if you would like information about Saalbach, which has a fairly thriving summer season with plenty to do and also lots of day trip options. I can email you further details.
latest report
All I would add is try and get accommodation that has its own pool
snow conditions
Went to St Wolfgang in my 20s, loved it. What with starting skiing at a similar age, that was me done for beach holidays after that. We spend 2-4 weeks in the Grand Massif every year and love it.
Quote:
PdS has Multipass for 2 Euro a day pp which gives ped access to lifts, swimming pool access etc.
wow @orange, that is a bargain. We have to pay a lot more than that for lift and separate pool visits. + for Annecy as mentioned by @Hils68,
snow report
Annecy is wonderful in summer but busy. Best to have accommodation which minimises the need to drive anywhere.
snow conditions
We went to Soll in Austria this summer. It was very warm. We had days of 28 degrees in the mountain and 33 in the valley. We had a fab time. Rented mountain bikes, swam in lakes. As a couple we did find the night life very quiet
ski holidays
Liked Seefeld very much last year. Largeish town (but not too large), close to Innsbruck for a day of sightseeing, but in the Seefeld area itself there's lake swimming, a lakeside lido and a separate huge leisure pool, a great gorge walk in Leutasch with elevated platforms etc, all arranged around an elves and goblins theme, the funicular railway that takes you up for the views, and many, many forest walks.
latest report
We've done quite a few family summer holidays in the Alps-in chronological order. Chamonix-big name and views, big prices, very busy, expensive for family, particularly if you want to use the lifts. Been there summer climbing lots of times, not again with family. Lake Bohinj (Slovenia) twice-fantastic. Big lake with loads of water activities, lifts to walk off, very affordable. Cortina-loved the Dolomites, couple of easy via ferratas, some nice family walks (around the 5 Towers for example)...but again, expensive with the lifts and other activities (E.g. bike rental). one of their main lifts was shut for the summer-not happy, as it gave access to the via ferrata in Cliffhanger….
Then Solden-awesome, best one of all. Affordable family pass for loads of activities made the trip-includes pools (indoors and out), lifts, bike hire (1 day), wild bird centre, Ozti village, some great and easily accessible (from valley) via ferratas (klettersteig) which our 9/10 yo daughters did-Stuben waterfall, Moosealm, Zirbenwald. And a day at Area 47, huge waterpark. The one thing it didn't have was a lake....so last summer we went to Zell am See/Kaprun, staying in Kaprun. Very happy overall with the same sort of family summer pass (lifts, pools), some nice lift based walks, but did not have the same range of activities as Solden overall. Kids scrambled up Kitzsteinhorn from the top. The lake and surrounding lido was awesome-slides and high diving boards into the lake, so it beat Solden on that particular score.
ski holidays
We've done quite a few family summer holidays in the Alps-in chronological order. Chamonix-big name and views, big prices, very busy, expensive for family, particularly if you want to use the lifts. Been there summer climbing lots of times, not again with family. Lake Bohinj (Slovenia) twice-fantastic. Big lake with loads of water activities, lifts to walk off, very affordable. Cortina-loved the Dolomites, couple of easy via ferratas, some nice family walks (around the 5 Towers for example)...but again, expensive with the lifts and other activities (E.g. bike rental). one of their main lifts was shut for the summer-not happy, as it gave access to the via ferrata in Cliffhanger….
Then Solden-awesome, best one of all. Affordable family pass for loads of activities made the trip-includes pools (indoors and out), lifts, bike hire (1 day), wild bird centre, Ozti village, some great and easily accessible (from valley) via ferratas (klettersteig) which our 9/10 yo daughters did-Stuben waterfall, Moosealm, Zirbenwald. And a day at Area 47, huge waterpark. The one thing it didn't have was a lake....so last summer we went to Zell am See/Kaprun, staying in Kaprun. Very happy overall with the same sort of family summer pass (lifts, pools), some nice lift based walks, but did not have the same range of activities as Solden overall. Kids scrambled up Kitzsteinhorn from the top. The lake and surrounding lido was awesome-slides and high diving boards into the lake, so it beat Solden on that particular score.
latest report
Following this as I’m searching for the same thing but with one 7 year old to entertain. We fancy a change from the usual beach holiday.
snow report
Always fun in the Summer!!
https://www.flachau.com/en/sport/summer-outdoors/canyoning-kayak.html
snow conditions
Lozza1uk wrote:
Following this as I’m searching for the same thing but with one 7 year old to entertain. We fancy a change from the usual beach holiday.

For those resorts open in the summer there should be a Summer area to their websites
eg:- https://en.tignes.net/what-to-see-do/do-something/summer
snow conditions
@rumdiary, we have friends who have gone to the zillertal valley of Austria every summer for the last 15 odd years, kids are now in their late teens. They stay in fugen, we also stayed there a couple of Xmas ago, great leisure centre with lots of pools/slides etc. Convenient for the valley train, to take you into Innsbruck/mayhofen if you want.
Would like to go back in the summer ourselves before the kids are too embarrassed to be away with us, though I guess if we are paying they will swallow their pride!!!!
Have other friends who also go to moraine a lot, and rave about that also.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
“Morzine” not “moraine”!!!!
snow report
@rumdiary, Zillertal has a lot going on in summer. Since you were here in winter @terrygasson, there has been development on Spieljoch for the summer https://www.zillertal-sports.com
And if you want to investigate @Nadenoodlee, suggestion of a Kinder Hotel, then there is one in Fügen https://www.alpina-zillertal.at
If you want more information about the area, give me a shout.
snow report
dont go to a ski resort,
snow conditions
@hobbiteater, Intrigued to know your reasons. Saalbach has a thriving summer season - in fact some people like the summer better than the winter!
snow report
@hobbiteater, I also believe Morzine’s summer season is bigger than their winter season.
latest report
thanks @SaraJ, would definitely love to visit the area again, either summer or winter!
hop you are having a great season

cheers
terry
snow conditions
Had one of our best family summer holidays in Morzine a few years ago. Beautiful to see this area in the summer and loads of activities to keep you occupied.
latest report
My summer holiday is my backyard with my in-ground swimming pool that I purchased from [MOD EDIT]an online website[END MOD EDIT]Laughing
snow conditions
+1 for PDS. We are going out for 4th year later this week. PDS has done a great job to make itself a summer destination.

And for those who want beachside sun and sand? There are some stunning beaches on lac leman.
snow conditions
Another shout out for Morzine Les Gets in the summer. We had a great activity holiday there a few years ago. Loads to do and loved seeing The Alps in the summer.
latest report
AnonDC wrote:
My summer holiday is my backyard with my in-ground swimming pool that I purchased from [MOD EDIT]an online website[END MOD EDIT] Laughing

How long have you worked for [MOD EDIT]an online website[END MOD EDIT] wink
ski holidays
We had a fantastic summer holiday in a catered chalet in Samoens. Hiking, biking, via ferrata, canyoning... absolutely brilliant.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy