Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Need your input regarding a future Christmas trip, 21 to 28 of December.
One intermediate+ skier keen to dip his toe further off piste, thus needing fresh snow if possible
One beginner snowboarder who enjoys falling on soft snow way more than on the icy groomed man made one.
I am aware of the going high obvious advantages but the boarder really hates frozen slopes and whiteouts. Hence contemplating Austria for that week
With previous December experiences in Obergurgl/Solden and in EK. Last year's PSB was good but the next one is 2 weeks before our trip.
Initially thought of Les Arcs, quite expensive flights to Geneva for that week but it's still a possibility.
For Austria, Lech should be perfect but very expensive, any normal budget suggestions? Other Austrian resorts that should hopefully have enough snow by then?
TIA.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@drporat, for the last two Christmases I've stayed at fellow snowhead flangesax's place in Austria in Radstadt, Haus Susanne and the snow was fine (and not icy). As regards the offpiste I'm not really into that but I believe there's a fair bit around Zauchensee, which you can reach quite easily from the Radstadt ski area using one free skibus. I'm sure some of the local sHs can advise on good off piste areas.

If you should stay at flangesax's place you're assured of a warm welcome (and an excellent Xmas dinner! Madeye-Smiley )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would look at Ischgl, Serfaus / Fiss and St Anton (Rendl has a variety of easier slopes, though Lech is better from that perspective). Weather at that time is always a lottery either lack of snow or storms are both reasonable possibilities. The problem with higher resorts is that there is often not much skiing below the tree line (applies in France too) which is the best place to be when the weather is poor.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@drporat, Can highly recommend Flachau for Christmas. We've been going there for many years (hence why we bought there). Fits your requirements and has masses of snow making capacity if the real stuff doesn't arrive. We have spaces that week if you're interested. Check out our Facebook Link. Self Catered only, so I'd second the recommendation for Haus Susanne if you want catered.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@drporat, I would heartily recommend Lech. Cost can be kept down by booking with either Ski Total. 3 Hotels(avoid the Sonneck), other two good. Or a little more cost VIP Hotel Theodul. Great location and good value for Lech.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your tips, I thought about Serfauss/ Ski Amade but was afraid chances are it should mostly be man made snow at Christmas time...
My wife decided to join, she doesn't ski (knee issues) so now I really need a snowy village with smth to do besides skiing.
Lech/Zermatt should obviously fit but all accommodations for 3 are expensive that week.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Austria has, in general, a good Snow record at christmas. I would suggest amywhere with good access ti Zauchensee.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy