Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A little bit about self catering

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
I love self-catering. .

Me too. Soooo much more flexibility!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CaravanSkier wrote:
pam w wrote:
I love self-catering. .

Me too. Soooo much more flexibility!

Me three Madeye-Smiley

It is a oft debated subject here and of course there is no right or wrong. If catered chalet/hotel etc is your thing then go for it - it's your holiday Very Happy

I like the flexibility of SC as well, for me it is also a hugely relaxing part of apres-ski, prep and cook while chatting to family and of course having a glass of vino. Right that;s SC done - now fly v drive, TO v DIY Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Me four. But, much as I love the EoSB for all sorts of reasons, I'm not that keen on catering for people I hardly know, especially when they have special (and sometimes conflicting) dietary requirements. Pottering in the kitchen with friends and family, wine glass to hand, is lovely, though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Right that;s SC done - now fly v drive, TO v DIY Toofy Grin

Yes, we are all a bit bored with no skiing to do. @Boris, You have clearly forgotten winter tyres, the merits or not of stopping overnight on route to the Alps, what to do with non skiing members of the party (ignore them) and, of course, staying walking distance from the slopes as opposed to driving there every day.

Ones we seem to be neglecting at the moment are: Austrian "twin" beds and nudity in saunas.

Roll on winter
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
I love self-catering.

Me too. Tea when I want it, and how I want it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@johnE, Helmets - don't forget the helmets!

That's not related to nudity in saunas
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not forgetting inner tip lead.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Hells Bells, Is that related to nudity in saunas Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Austria is clearly better for skiing than France.

Fetches popcorn Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@grumpygargoyle, You're absolutely right but don't tell anyone!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
grumpygargoyle wrote:

But not as good as Italy. Dons ski helmet and retires. Toofy Grin snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowboarding is better than skiing Toofy Grin

Runs and hides
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Austria is too low for snow. More popcorn anyone?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Pottering in the kitchen with friends and family, wine glass to hand, is lovely, though.

Agreed Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

grumpygargoyle wrote:

But not as good as Italy. Dons ski helmet and retires. Toofy Grin snowHead

But nowhere near as good as Scotland
snow report
Pull the plug nurse, I'd rather crawl toward the light than read more of this dross rolling eyes
Yooz tossers can't look at the embossed logos on ceramic bakeware or trust to local slipware that they've been cooking with for 100 generations without having a screaming brainfart. It's always nice to bring yer kitchen with you . . . But if you can't adapt to what's in front of you . . . WTF are Yooz doing on a "self-catering" holiday?
snow report
@Masque, have another pill Toofy Grin
snow report
@rjs, I thought 20 a day was normal, especially on holiday Laughing
ski holidays
Egg cups. Apparently some people can't do without them. I was prepared for complaints about only 15Mbps broadband, no microwave, and even lack of HD on the cable TV, but not that we only provided two egg cups. What are the probabilities that any group of 4-6 people will all want to have a boiled egg at breakfast? But there you are, and now we have 6 in the cupboard I'm pretty sure no one has used them in the last 5 years.

And as an owner, what's the thing with corkscrews? Why do at least 2 corkscrews disappear each season? And people so regularly moved the full-length bedroom mirror to face the end of the double-bed that we eventually conceded and relocated it there permanently (even, though it renders it useless as a clothes mirror).

On the other hand, we have also accumulated some stuff as well, including a TV, a coffee percolator and a mattress and duvet.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 16-06-19 10:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@Masque, have another pill Toofy Grin

+1 mate, chill.
ski holidays
@LaForet, forget corkscrews (lost on picnics I guess) - teaspoons. We get through around 35 a year (3 apartments)... WTFFF? Puzzled rolling eyes
latest report
LaForet wrote:
Egg cups. Apparently some people can't do without them. I was prepared for complaints about only 15Mbps broadband, no microwave, and even lack of HD on the cable TV, but not that we only provided two egg cups.
l always bring my own egg cups when self catering anyway.
I'm a bit paranoid that Masque might drop round and need an egg and it won't be served properly.
To be honest it hasn't happened yet but it's good to know that one is prepared for these eventualities.
ski holidays
@under a new name, Teaspoons and also pegs are what disappear for us, teaspoons for the picnic on the way home and pegs for sealing opened packets of stuff, we suppose?
latest report
@Zorrac, we don't supply those peg things. Teaspoons I think get thrown out in the yoghurt pot.
ski holidays
@under a new name, your teaspoons must have found their way to mine, 12 have become 18 for some reason.
snow conditions
In my apartment I have pretty much everything including a knife sharpener and a champagne cork puller. In 7 years of renting I lost 1 teaspoon and had 1 glass broken. I lost a few bits if linens to various stains though.
ski holidays
I hate self-catering. I go on holiday to be waited on!!

We went on (a self-catering) holiday to a tiny villa in Italy in 2015, and it had a collection of very strange contraptions in the kitchenette. It had no oven or kettle, and instead of a toaster there was a metal frame thing which we decided must have been for toasting bread in the gas hob flames!!
latest report
@Hells Bells, what the feckety feck? I’ll pm my address Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The joy of self catering is that you dont! Breakfast is easy with local pastries etc. Buy fruit juice and milk and bring your own coffee and sugar. Eat out or bring in the wonderful rotisserie chickens or pizzas for the evening. Cheese, fruit and biscuits for snacks and lots and lots of wine. An essential carry with you is a decent sharp knife, there will almost never be one of those should you want it. So the kitchen in self catering accommodation is a place where you cool your wine, refrigerate your milk, butter and fruit juice and where you find wine glasses (there are always, in my experience, plenty of those. As someone else has said in Europe morning coffee is drunk from what look like cereal bowls so there may well be no cups or mugs. The kitchens and in fact apartments are rarely suitable for actually doing any real "catering/cooking".
latest report
@FFIRMIN, wrote:
Quote:

The joy of self catering is that you don't!

+1
If you need mugs, then buy them and leave them for the next occupant.
If you need to eat then there are plenty of restaurants and bars to supply you through the day.

Self catering, by renting from the local agents not UK tour operators, leaves enough "spare" money to eat out every night and still have change from a catered chalet or hotel. The flexibility to eat what I want when I want is crucial.

The rigidity of catered chalet or hotel menus, having to sit down at a specified time to eat dinner with strangers who I may or may not like is a definite no-no. Drinking "free" wine but only until coffee is served. Having to get in the shower first before the hot water runs out. Having to listen to skier's tales which put fisherman's tales into the realms of understatement. An honesty bar where no-one apart from you is honest.

Plus I get 2 weeks skiing self-catered for similar price to one week catered. Bit of a no-brainer for those who think skiing is the most important part of a ski holiday.

Rant over Smile
ski holidays
Large and small sharp knives, peeler, small zip lock bags with spices including Chinese 5 spice [ do not be tempted to buy the bags with the cannabis leaf motif plod will not believe it is parsley ] When doing a self drive or travelling by coach where the luggage is not weighed my pressure cooker came along.

Tettly T bags were required by one regular.
ski holidays
@TQA, at my gaff you get kit not consumables.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@TQA, at my gaff you get kit not consumables.

In that respect UK and USA self catering accommodation generally wins. In France it seems normal to have condiments etc by the end of the season because earlier occupants have left them behind but nothing much else. Whereas in the UK & USA there has always been a 'welcome gift' of things like tea, coffee, often wine (once Prosecco) biscuits, bread & cheese (cold cured meats once too), along with a selection of herbs, spices and sauces.
snow conditions
There may be some dried herbs and spices, oil , vinegar and maybe an unopened jar of mustard or jam. Odd tin of tomatoes and some pasta. The salt and pepper grinders will be full, and there will be Yorkshire tea bags, and a couple of loo rolls, and maybe some kitchen paper if it hasn't ran out between visits.
Welcome packs are a no starter as we don't live on site. I would have to pay someone to shop for it. The clue in this all is 'self-catering'. So there is plenty of equipment provided, but very little in the way of food.
ski holidays
@CaravanSkier, there are dried herbs, oil and vinegar. as @Hells Bells says - self catering, but there is no need to bring anything other than food items
snow report
We provide hand wash, some loo rolls, dishwasher tabs, and any herbs and spices get left so at a minimum salt, pepper and sugar.
snow report
@under a new name, yes, hand wash and a couple of loo rolls too
snow report
Quote:

And people so regularly moved the full-length bedroom mirror to face the end of the double-bed that we eventually conceded and relocated it there permanently (even, though it renders it useless as a clothes mirror).

Sounds to me people didn't want a clothes mirror but did want an unclothed mirror
snow conditions
I have loads of refills of hand wash at the apartment in a box under the sink, but someone is always throwing away the bottle, so every time we get there there isn't anything to put the refill into, and then I have to start all over again.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
There may be some dried herbs and spices, oil , vinegar and maybe an unopened jar of mustard or jam. Odd tin of tomatoes and some pasta. The salt and pepper grinders will be full, and there will be Yorkshire tea bags, and a couple of loo rolls, and maybe some kitchen paper if it hasn't ran out between visits.
Welcome packs are a no starter as we don't live on site. I would have to pay someone to shop for it. The clue in this all is 'self-catering'. So there is plenty of equipment provided, but very little in the way of food.

I really don`t 'expect' much from s/c accommodation, I can always cope with whatever isn`t, or is, there, (indeed I normally arrive at ski accommodation having done a big shop down in the valley enroute) but it is very pleasant to arrive and find those little extras. Glass of wine in hand makes the unpacking decidedly less tedious! Laughing And somehow the wine purchased enroute has always been tucked into the most inaccessible crannies in the car! rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy