Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A little bit about self catering

Poster: A snowHead
Extremophile wrote:
I take proper oven cloth - Can't stand those silicone mits that haven't been washed in 15 years

Put them in the first run of the dishwasher! The latter, by the way, is a pre-requisite of any self catering place I book. I love cooking but detest washing up, and although other family members happily join in the cooking & prep, everyone moans about washing up. Therefore I just don`t book anywhere that does not state it has a dishwasher. rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not everywhere has a dishwasher Shocked

I took a proper oven cloth all the way to New Zealand when we went last year, no dishwasher in the campervan and the silcone mit did not look safe Skullie

Always take a salt and pepper grinder too!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnE wrote:
@Extremophile, small dinner plates are possibly the simplest way to lose weight.

No one tries to lose weight on a ski holiday... and if I don't come back at least 5lbs heavier I've not eaten enough tartiflette
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Extremophile wrote:
Not everywhere has a dishwasher Shocked

I took a proper oven cloth all the way to New Zealand when we went last year, no dishwasher in the campervan and the silcone mit did not look safe Skullie

Always take a salt and pepper grinder too!

The one thing I hated about caravan holidays, both touring in summer and on winter ski holidays was not having an on board dishwasher. The kids were little then and whilst it was not too hard to get them to do the washing up outside in hot sunny weather (and yes it was messy but the job got done) getting them to do it in the winter was far more tricky, especially as they generally fell asleep immediately after dinner lol! However, back when fuel was much cheaper, and site fees reflected the fact not so many folk used them in the snow, it was a cheap way to holiday!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have come across campsites in France with 'facilities'. Private loo, shower, dishwasher and fridge included.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Most French apartments that I've been to don't really have a proper oven anyway generally just a microwave.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells wrote:
I have come across campsites in France with 'facilities'. Private loo, shower, dishwasher and fridge included.

Wow, how time changes things! We came across sites that offered private loo etc, and at which you could rent a fridge/freezer (only relevant summer as snow outside the van adequately chills the white wine Madeye-Smiley, but never a dishwasher! That might just have been a game changer when deciding where to go, never mind the snow conditions Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Most French apartments that I've been to don't really have a proper oven anyway generally just a microwave.

ski holidays

Ours has an oven.OK it's small one but still an oven. We also have a dishwasher, but never use it. It's normally faster and quieter simply to wash up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The last apartment I used had a combined oven and dishwasher. Both worked fine but there was a handwritten note not to use them at the same time as it would overload the fuzebox.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs wrote:
The last apartment I used had a combined oven and dishwasher. .

Interesting concept, I had read that you can cook a whole salmon in a dishwasher but did not know you could wash dishes in an oven! Sorry Laughing Sometimes my imagination runs riot!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rjs said:
Quote:

combined oven and dishwasher

Don't you just love english! I'd love to see how that works! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skitrack wrote:
@rjs said:
Quote:

There are websites that let you search for what I wrote. But to save you time try this.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We installed a proper full sized oven in our apartment at the earliest opportunity. Took us about 5 years I think to work out how to fit it in, but we did it. Eye level mini oven was not safe for a short lass.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs wrote:
skitrack wrote:
@rjs said:
Quote:

There are websites that let you search for what I wrote. But to save you time try this.

It had never occured to me that such a thing could exist!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We stayed in a really nice AirBnB in Aosta within easy walk of the lift. Only problem was the whole apartment ran off one 6 amp circuit breaker! Once I'd worked out what was going on and why it wasn't really a problem but it just seemed bizarre.
snow report
Quote:

The last apartment I used had a combined oven and dishwasher.

seems a good idea - use the excess heat from the dishwasher to preheat the oven and vice versa.

In our town there was a public outcry when it was revealed that the new municipal sports centre and swimming pool would be sharing a combined heat and power system. Some people got it into the minds that the council would be burning dead bodies to heat the swimming pool.
ski holidays
@Mjit, @rjs,

They do exist! If not quite how I was imagining!
snow conditions
Just bumping this thread again ahead of the summer holidays, as I was wondering if any fellow snowHead self-caterers can tell me how easy it is to get halloumi in French supermarkets or if, indeed it is possible at all.

I have a vague recollection of looking for it last summer, but the closest I got was finding a sort of "world foods" section in Super-U, where they had Feta. Though as that is not quite as receptive to barbecueing I did not purchase.
snow report
Looks like Carrefour might have some: https://www.carrefour.fr/s?q=halloumi
latest report
@rjs, not exactly a dishwasher and oven in one is it? Just a mall oven and tiny dishwasher, apart.

Disappointed...
latest report
Wow, pre-sliced!

@andy1234, ta very much, I will look out for it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy