Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A little bit about self catering

Poster: A snowHead
@T Bar, SiL had provided (and tested as they don’t always work, even if they say they will) induction suitable pans (it was a new apartment so all kit bought for purpose).

No, just guests being stupid and not reading the clear instructions in English, French and with pictures on the wall beside the hob.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've only had one set of guests claiming the hob didn't work despite the clear instructions. Turned out they were using my largest frying pan on the smallest ring and the edge of the pan was hitting the off button. But they were quite special in other ways too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hells Bells, no, not "special" guests Shocked

Never had them, never wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
Montana wrote:
no cups other than 12 (for a 4 person apartment) tiny demitasse coffee cups.

The convention is to use bowls for breakfast coffee.

I take a ....... tool for resealing wine bottles.

Can’t you just push the cork back in or screw the top back on?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, let's just say they ended up in Les Deux-Alpes instead of Serre Chevalier, and you can probably imagine the rest.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

tool for resealing wine bottles

Why? What's that all about?

@Hells Bells, I can well imagine... I think our worst were the ones who levered one of the washing machine doors off (literally, latch brokem one hinge out of the machine body) - as they'd clearly not left enough time to complete the cycle before departure, then claimed it had been fine when their clothes had finished.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, we had one set of guests overloaded the washing machine so much on their first day that they jammed the (top-loading) drum closed. It had opened at the bottom of the machine with the weight of their clothes. 6 pairs of jeans apparently (or something along those lines) according to @KenX. He kindly went round with a big pair of metal cutters to get them out, and our housekeeper then took them off to the laundry for them. Another lady broke the shutters at 9pm on a Sunday evening, and then screamed at the caretaker because he couldn't immediately come out to repair them. He then refused to go out at all. Again, poor Kenx got the job, but by the morning, she'd pulled the dishwasher door off, broken the handle to the patio door and was demanding new bedside lamps. The same lady screamed at me because she had booked a 2 bedroom apartment on booking.com which had mysteriously lost a bedroom. Expected me to magic it up from somewhere unknown. She's on the 'not coming back under any circumstances' list.

The joys of holiday rentals. Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

It sucks out some of the air so the wine doesn't oxidize quite as quickly. Available in most supermarkets.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, I'm with you, what possible use could a tool for resealing wine bottles be? Surely the whole point of opening on is to empty it ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hells Bells, Do you really drink a whole bottle of wine by yourself at a single sitting ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hells Bells, OMFG

That puts any of ours into the shade.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On a less drastic note, I was once keyholding for our French neighbours - they had British renters arriving who were so late that their cleaner had had to go. They arrived late in the evening and very disgruntled. They had not been expecting to have their journey complicated by snow, on their way to an apartment advertised as "piste side". The owner of the apartment should have told them they might need snow chains. He should also have told them that the shop would not be open at 10pm. I offered to give them some milk but he remained disgruntled, ungrateful and generally pathetic. I imagine he voted "Leave", after such a terrible experience. Laughing Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs wrote:
@Hells Bells, Do you really drink a whole bottle of wine by yourself at a single sitting ?

No, but two or three of us will. Often 4 of us.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

It sucks out some of the air so the wine doesn't oxidize quite as quickly. Available in most supermarkets.

Fair enough, but surely you need to be drinking exceptionally good wine or leaving it several days to be worth the effort?
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, @pam w, I am glad I completely isolated from these terrible guests by the rental agency, especially the vandals who decided to wreck the washing machine and dishwasher. Actually we had one party who managed to break the hinges to both the window in the living room and the bedroom. It cost a couple thousand euros to sort that one out.

Quote:

I thought it was simply to kep the bacteria out converting the wine to vinigar.
snow report
rjs wrote:

Yes Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@johnE, TBH my terrible guests have been few and thankfully far between, and my housekeeper usually has to deal with the problem. SHe does of course contact me if there are problems, and in those cases above @KenX was handy to sort them out. Most are clean tidy and well-behaved. Booking dot commers are the worst. I do know someone had their banisters broken by immediate family. so it isn't just strangers that can be destructive.

@Boris, we are on holiday after all. No school nights to worry about and most of the time no driving to do. @rjs, rather a judgemental comment to make don't you think?
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@rjs, rather a judgemental comment to make don't you think?

You are presuming that everyone goes skiing in the same size group as yourself.
snow report
@rjs, and you were assuming I holidayed alone.
ski holidays
@rjs, just to be crystal clear, a bottle of wine on my own, easy. Generally I'm not on my own and several bottles will be opened on holiday, but even if just Mrs B and I, a bottle of wine, yep easy.

I'm not going to apologise, it's my weakness and I like it.
ski holidays
@Boris, +1.
snow report
@Hells Bells, booking.com are the worst. We are pleasantly surprised by airbnb ers
ski holidays
Never had any major issues with kitchen but reminds of turning up to an apartment in Villard-de-Lans and realising that we needed our own sheets, duvet cover and pillow cases!
ski holidays
@under a new name, we have some there this week.
snow report
Quote:

turning up to an apartment in Villard-de-Lans and realising that we needed our own sheets, duvet cover and pillow cases!

that's historically the way it mostly was in basic French apartments, where the majority of customers were hard up (or at any rate not-rich) French families travelling by car and anxious to keep costs down. They took grandparents for child-care too.
snow conditions
I remember having to take linen to a Peirre Vacances apartment when we drove there. I paid extra for bed linen when we flew.
ski holidays
Anybody thinking of buying an apartment to rent out should be directed to this thread....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@michaelf, as said above, that's the norm (still is in many places ...)
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
rjs wrote:

No, but two or three of us will. Often 4 of us.

If there's three or four of us away on holiday a single bottle may not suffice.
I have to say that being left a single day doesn't seem to do a lot of harm to the wine I drink on holiday anyway
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@under a new name, I'm with you, what possible use could a tool for resealing wine bottles be? Surely the whole point of opening on is to empty it ?

I'm with @rjs here, I frequently don't finish a bottle of wine. It may be because I have already drunk 1 and am on my second, I only want one glass, I have had 412 beers previsouly so can't manage a full bottle, or many other reasons. The reason to open a bottle is certainly not to finish it, but to enjoy the amount out of it I want. Saying that, it's not a tool I would expect in the standard holiday apartment.
ski holidays
Quote:

Never had any major issues with kitchen but reminds of turning up to an apartment in Villard-de-Lans and realising that we needed our own sheets, duvet cover and pillow cases!

Towels are somtimes useful as well. But - hey your'e on holiday.

Back to the recorking wine discussion. Yes, we have a universal bung in our apartment. And we actually use it and at the expense of soundin terribly posh use it frequently when we open bottles of white and red for each course. Guess which bottle doesn't get finished?
snow conditions
Does nobody ever just put the cork back in nowadays on the occasions a bottle is unfinished?
ski holidays
Quote:

Does nobody ever just put the cork back in nowadays on the occasions a bottle is unfinished?

The plastic bungs that have replaced real cork are more difficult to insert
ski holidays
Quote:

The plastic bungs that have replaced real cork are more difficult to insert

Depends on how much of the bottle you have drunk. Smile The more you have left the easier it is to insert. rolling eyes nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more Toofy Grin

Seriously? we were given one of those in the seventies, never had a chance to use it yet.

If the wine is good enough to warrant the effort of re-corking then it's too good to leave until the next day. If it's not worth the effort then don't bother you won't notice the difference, it may even improve.
latest report
A wee bit of clingfilm surely achieves the same thing as bunging a cork back in?
latest report
@pam w, Though I leave a wine bottle bung out for guests I don't leave cling film. I doubt if I'd be bothered to search for it, carfully remove a small quantity and apply it, By then I would have drunk the stuff - or poured it down the sink.

http://youtube.com/v/WEQzX4AO4X4
snow conditions
I do confess to having a couple of these somewhere, and may be even in the apartment.
ski holidays
I take proper oven cloth - Can't stand those silicone mits that haven't been washed in 15 years
Knife
Peeler
2 x Wooden Spoon
Herbs and Spices
Tea and Camomile tea
tubs for putting stuff in the fridge with because those manky ones in the back of the cupboard smell pretty funky

Love S/C - but am boggled by the poor kitchen bits and bobs...

The worst thing I've found (apart from lack of actauly useful equipment) is the shockingly small dinner plates, who has a small dinner plate, it's just criminal.. a small dinner plate - come on
snow report
@Extremophile, small dinner plates are possibly the simplest way to lose weight.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy