Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Expensive resorts (to avoid)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for a late deal and have no experience of Winters in the Alps. Getting fleeced is my main worry.

So, what's my chances in Val D'Isere ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never found Val D'Isere & Tignes too bad.

Avoid eating on the slopes I guess and buy your beer from the spar.

Found austria to be very good value for money this year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's possible to eat and drink at reasonable prices, even in potentially very expensive resorts like Courchevel. In probably all of the larger resorts around the Alps there will be at least one or two snowHeads who can offer suggestions for reasonably priced restaurants or snack bars (although you'll probably find that none of them are are cheap as places in Bansko).

I've been to Val d'Isere and didn't find it too expensive, but I'm not one for spending lots of money on drinks in the evening and usually have a light lunch so perhaps I'm not the best person to offer advice Wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
[generalisation mode]

In France I have typically found that prices go up as you go up the mountain. In Switzerland they don't Smile

[/genralisation mode]
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
as you will need somewhere with fairly high altitude slopes, to avoid getting into the slush too early in the day, somewhere like Val D'Isere (far from my favourite place, I am a fan of little resorts with hardly any English people!) has its attractions, with endless scope. If you get a good late deal and go either to a catered chalet or self-catering, where buying your own beer from the Spar is an option, you should have a good time. Depends whether your priority is ski-ing or drinking! Just don't pee too much (will cost you - 50 cents for a pee last week, despite buying lunch, and I still had to wait in a queue!).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
50c doesn't sound excessive for a wee. Bearing in mind that getting all that sewage off the mountain can be something of a project.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, er, I'd hope that sewage removal is covered in the extortionate price of a lift pass.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:
50c doesn't sound excessive for a wee.

Depends whose it is. I prefer a cold beer, anyway.

They all seem much of a muchness to me, although Austria seems pretty reasonable at the moment. Courchevel (1850 and elsewhere) seemed OK to me at Xmas. Verbier is where I've felt most ripped off, but that was about 100 years ago and Switzerland is cheaper (for Brits at least) now.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richmond, agreed, Courchevel seemed generally more reasonable this year than it has done in the past
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's not that you should avoid expensive resorts, just try and find good value ones.

Italy is very good value in my experience

Been to Livigno, Passo Tonale and Madonna di Campiglio, all pretty cheap.

Also found Austria to be relatively cheap compared to France.

Usually go in January and Pay £300-£400 for H/B Hotel and that's flying from Belfast
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was in Val disere in january and found drinking and eating quite expensive if you don't like fast food (pizza, kebab etc). Paid 14euro at one restaurant on the mountain next to the gondola for spagetti bolagnaise. However went to another more towards tignes on the slopes and it was 10euro (pretty mediocre too). A pint in a bar seems to cost from 4euros at happy hour up to 7 and a spirit and dash in dicks tea bar is around 8euros. I spent just over £450 in a week and it was all on booze and food. Course saying that I am a student and as such like to have a couple of shandys. I think in retrospect I would have prefered to go to the porte du soleil area. I think val disere charges similar prices to the 3 valleys in terms of food and drink.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Switzerland used to be catastrophically expensive. It is a lot better now, but still, perhaps on the expensive side.
Small resorts off the usual international trail are generally much cheaper, both for hotel / food and lift pass. I was just in Arabba (Italy) and hotels were much more expensive than in famous Cortina a few miles away (I found a really nice hotel for 45 Euros per day, half board, but the cheapest in Cortina was 50 Euros for B & B. And the skiing was better and more convenient in Arabba.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy