Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

For those arranging a Ski Holiday by Train

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@achilles, I cannot answer your question directly but I know in the past when I have tried to use that route the difficulty was that there were only a couple of TGV services a day from Grenoble that passed through Lille, basically early morning and late evening meaning that you had to leave Grenoble very early /arrive Grenoble very late and that did not tie in with public transport from ski resorts. There were plenty of options to go via Lyon St. Exupery / Lyon main stations but you then need a local train to Grenoble. As I said my experience is from some time ago so things may have changed, for the worse or better.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@achilles, a couple of times on the way back, when you have to go through customs @ Lille (That's been with the SNCF from Lyon). Facilities ain't great, but easier than changing stations in Paris I guess. Timings just don't seem to work out for us though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles wrote:
has anyone here tried Lille as the switchover?

I don't live in UK, but I've done a couple of ski holidays with friends from London where we all took the train. Generally, we've met in Paris, often time for a nice lunch in a cafe near a Paris station then off on an early afternoon train down to the Alps, followed by bus out to resort. However, on one of our return trips the timings worked out for changing in Lille, so we did that instead. I think we did alps to Lyon, then tgv from Lyon to Lille and then we split up, they went on the Eurostar and I headed off in the other direction.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh and other point to to note is that in Lille we've had to change stations too, although they're less than 5 minutes walk apart and well signposted.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar, I couldn’t find any listed & when I rang customer service they confirmed that it’s shut for engineering work on those dates.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Has anyone got to the EOSB on a train? I'm trying to work out if it's feasible at all.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@The Lady Vanishes, I have vague memories of taking a night sleeper to Moûtiers- then taking a bus to Val Thorens - but TBH I am not sure - memories blur.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Lady Vanishes wrote:
Has anyone got to the EOSB on a train? I'm trying to work out if it's feasible at all.
The Eurostar service to Moutiers has finished by that time of the season, but you can take an early Eurostar to Paris (Gare Du Nord) a short train ride or taxi across Paris, to Gare du Lyon, and then SNCF service to Moutiers (one change at Chambery), arriving late afternoon.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gordyjh wrote:
@rob@rar, I couldn’t find any listed & when I rang customer service they confirmed that it’s shut for engineering work on those dates.
That's odd. I tried a dummy booking earlier today on their website and it showed tickets were available for departure on 1 Feb and return the following Saturday.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, When I go on their website it says there are no trains available on the 2nd or the 9th.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skitow, @Arctic Roll and @Rcav, thanks for your input. Looks like I'll probably be going via Paris, then. I might go for. change in plan, and stay with family in the London area before, and maybe after, travel to the Alps. I am travelling by myself. I'll have no skis (they stay in resort) but I will have a chunky luggage bag - so going to a cafe for lunch is a bit tricky, unless I leave my bag in a left luggage locker - googling around it doesn't seem to be a problem to find one.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Artic Roll, We used the Thello to get from Paris to Milan following the France Wales Rugby match in Feburary, 6 blokes who have played rugby together and travelled, together for 30+ years in a word don't unless you get the better cabins we used the 6 person Couchette never again. It was worse than a sleeper from Moscow to Leninngrad in the late 80's.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gordyjh wrote:
@rob@rar, When I go on their website it says there are no trains available on the 2nd or the 9th.
2nd and the 9th are Sundays. The direct Eurostar service to Moutiers/Bourg St Maurice does not run on Sundays. Are you looking to book an indirect service via Paris?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rob@rar, yes, I was looking at Ebbsfleet to Paris & then TGV to Geneva to meet the friends who are flying. As I said, customer service told me Eurostar was closed for engineering work on the 1st & 2nd Feb & I can’t see trains on the 9th. If anyone can tell me differently I will be happy to be proved wrong as I would prefer to take the train rather than fly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy