Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2019/20 News Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Can any of the dolomiti locals shed any light on this?
Is this new news, old news or pie in the sky news?

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/01/10/news/le_dolomiti_in_seggiovia_o_sugli_sci_parte_il_progetto_del_grande_carosello_-245352320/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
choucas wrote:
Quick question: Is it possible to ski from the top of Lezuo lift (#124) to the top of the Col di Rossi -- Alba lift (#130)? I tried one time but could not figure it out. It looks like you can on the trail map but I ended up skiing down to the Pecol -- Col di Rossi lift (#102) to get there.

:
No -- It is uphill from the nearest chair ; the only way is take the Pecol-Col Rossi lift :: or You could take the Kristiania chair and walk uphill
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. After closer examination of the trail map, I figured that that was the case.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow cover and conditions generally good on piste. Poor off piste, as no significant new snow since before Christmas.

Welcome forecast of a top up 18-19 January. Pics from last 2 days in Val Di Fassa-Carezza and Alta Badia sectors, SW and NE parts of Sella Ronda circuit respectively.

Should be able to give update from Kronplatz later this week.

Mr Blue Sky out to play and temperatures ranging nicely between +2 and -7C.

snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dhorst wrote:
Hi,
Can any of the dolomiti locals shed any light on this?
Is this new news, old news or pie in the sky news?

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/01/10/news/le_dolomiti_in_seggiovia_o_sugli_sci_parte_il_progetto_del_grande_carosello_-245352320/

Definately not new news and has been discussed on the skiforum.it site in the past year. Was reading the below article a few days ago:

https://www.skiforum.it/skinews/838-progetto-carosello-cortina-arabba-civetta.html
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Jimmybog. Did your wife confirm minibus pick up? Fearful we might be dropped in the middle of nowhere & be trying to hail a cab to get us to the airport. Not getting much joy from Cortina ExpresS
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dhorst, @jimmybog, given the distance involved, costs and environmental impacts, surely this is pie in the sky? 5 Torri already basically links to the Sella Ronda (with a bus in one direction) and Civetta seem to have struggled to modernise their own lift system, let alone build a new series of long linking lifts.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GingerWizard wrote:
Thanks Jimmybog. Did your wife confirm minibus pick up? Fearful we might be dropped in the middle of nowhere & be trying to hail a cab to get us to the airport. Not getting much joy from Cortina ExpresS

Sorry for not responding sooner. Wife definately remembers dropping people off near the motorway and is certain there was a minibus waiting to take the passengers to the airport. If Cortina Express aren't responding via email then I would call them just to be double certain. But I'm sure they wont just leave you stranded there!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
denfinella wrote:
@dhorst, @jimmybog, given the distance involved, costs and environmental impacts, surely this is pie in the sky? 5 Torri already basically links to the Sella Ronda (with a bus in one direction) and Civetta seem to have struggled to modernise their own lift system, let alone build a new series of long linking lifts.

But is it pie in the sky? I'm sure Iv'e seen offical documents/plans on one of the forums regarding the new lift between Pocol and 5 Torri.

And with the 2021 World championships and 2026 WInter Olympics to be held in COrtina, this maybe something that could well happen.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just dug out a Cortina piste map that I picked up at 5 Torri last March. There is a dotted black line marked 'progetto' between Son dei Prade and Bai de Dones. Is this the proposed new link lift being discussed above?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That lift between Pocol and 5 Torri is already in the OpenStreetMap maps (labelled as future project), so I guess it's fairly certain? (I guess it's documented on alpinforum or skiforum etc. somewhere)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jimmybog, sorry, I should have been clearer. The Cortina / Pocol to 5 Torri link looks likely to happen. The distance involved there is less, and it links two areas which are already on the same local lift pass.

It's the other two links - to Civetta and Arabba - which I think are pie in the sky.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whilst it is an interesting project from an engineering and ‘ski geek’ perspective, I would say it’s not necessary. There is already more than enough piste skiing in the Dolomites and it’s World Heritage designation should act as a constraint against more metalwork and earth moving. I would say that a more pressing priority is planning for climate change, post skiing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jimmybog wrote:
GingerWizard wrote:

Sorry for not responding sooner. Wife definately remembers dropping people off near the motorway and is certain there was a minibus waiting to take the passengers to the airport. If Cortina Express aren't responding via email then I would call them just to be double certain. But I'm sure they wont just leave you stranded there!!

I've taken the Cortina Express a few times in the last few years and I don't remember a minibus at the Treviso stop. It's out of tiown next to the Italian version of B&Q.

Also, Cortina Express are rubbish at responding via email. I've never managed to get a reply out of them whenever I've emailed about next season's timetable.
ski holidays
@Peter S, Killjoy!

I agree regarding more pisting etc.

Actually with so much snowmaking the Dolomites are probably on the forefront of climate change preparedness, tho not in the way you mean. Some of those lower villages will have to figure something else out.
snow conditions
denfinella wrote:
@jimmybog, sorry, I should have been clearer. The Cortina / Pocol to 5 Torri link looks likely to happen. The distance involved there is less, and it links two areas which are already on the same local lift pass.

It's the other two links - to Civetta and Arabba - which I think are pie in the sky.

It will be interesting to see what actually happens with the Civetta and Arraba plans.

In fact looking at the Arraba proposal again, (and bearing in mind that the image in the link I posted is just a guestimate of where the new slopes/lifts would be), it would actually be a link to ALta badia rather than direct to Arraba. One of the lifts/slopes starts/ends at the bottom of the Vizza and Maserai chairs beneath MOnte Cherz and Pralongia.

I can sort of see the logic in this if you really wanted to go onto the Sella Ronda from Cortina by bypassing the Lagazuoi/San Cassiano route; but it would still be a hell of a trek from Cortina. You'd think by the time you got to the Ronda above Campolongo, it would be too late to actually do the route and then get back to Cortina.
snow report
Here's a vote for the 5 Torri-Pocol lift. Seems obvious and overdue.
snow report
Thanks for advice on Cortina Express. Will book a taxi to meet us at the drop off point
ski holidays
GingerWizard wrote:
Thanks for advice on Cortina Express. Will book a taxi to meet us at the drop off point

Ginger, investigating this a bit more and it does seem as if I am wrong about a connecting mini bus. Looks like from the Cortian express stop, you need to take bus 3 to the centre and then bus 6 to the airport. Your option of booking a taxi looks to be the best way though. So Apologies for my original replies. We last used the service a few years ago and I'm sure there was a mini bus connection to get to the airport.
ski holidays
Feasability study to begin re proposals to link Santa Magdalena in Val Di Funes to the Seceda area:

https://jimdo-storage.global.ssl.fastly.net/file/7c88e626-5cdb-48ff-b377-b9ab35c02ea6/Machbarkeitsstudie%20VILLN%C3%B4SS-SECEDA_Profanter.pdf
snow report
Counting down the hours now! Getting out to the Dolomites for the first time on Saturday! Looking forward to hitting the pistes and sampling the italian hospitality!
snow report
@Fridge03, Trip report, please ! I’m off to the same hotel as you the week after......
latest report
damobloke1 wrote:
@Fridge03, Trip report, please ! I’m off to the same hotel as you the week after......

Don't worry. I will be doing one. May do a live one if I have the time in the evenings to type up my ramblings. From reading the trip advisor reviews, it seems to be in general good stuff!
snow report
@Fridge03, Much obliged. Also keen to know any decent Aprés you find - nothing too heavy, just anywhere with a lively buzz to it would be nice. Very Happy
snow report
Early news for next season for Alta Badia. Looks like the following chair upgrades have been confirmed:

COSTORATTA 8-seater chairlift
8-seater chairlift SODLISIA

Should help people doing the Sella Ronda anti clockwise.
snow conditions
"..8-seater chairlift SODLISIA.." Hurrah !!
latest report
Will be in San Martino di Castrozza, Canazei and Cortina end of February - March 12th. Anyone have any good resource for off piste routes off the Rosetta?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cant really help, but there are several threads on the forum that might give you some info - just to a search on - castrozza

Here are a couple of trip reports

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124440&highlight=castrozza

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3381945&highlight=castrozza#3381945
ski holidays
Some photos and a vid from our week blasting round the Sella Ronda! Can we go back yet? Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/SxnrN9cZyVQ

ski holidays
@Fridge03, how does it rank against Paradiski, 3V, Saal-H overall for you?
latest report
Good to hear about the Sodlisia upgrades, although since the change to Borest end station, the queues are nothing like they used to be (at least during the BB week, might be worse during holidays). Sliding off the old Borest chair right in to the back of the Sodlisia chair queue was a major problem. Now all the Borest to Edelweiss traffic walks across from one gondola to the other, missing out Sodlisia, so it only gets beginners lapping the chair and Sella Ronda traffic, and it's all dispersed a bit.
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
@Fridge03, how does it rank against Paradiski, 3V, Saal-H overall for you?

It's hard to compare as I have loved all those areas but for different reasons.

For out and out skiing, various terrain, etc then the 3V can't be beat. But you have to accept the prices and sometimes how busy it can get at bottlenecks.

The Paradiski I really enjoyed but I didn't get the most out of the area as we were in lessons every morning so still have areas to explore. But at the time the cruisy blues and reds were exactly what we needed.

Saalbach was our first Austrian trip as well as our first March ski trip. I loved the relaxed atmosphere, prices and it was a great ski area. We loved sitting out on the sun terraces in deck chairs even if that meant that the lower runs were getting slushy in the afternoons.

As for the Dolomites, I'm a sucker for scenery and whilst the French/Austrian alps are beautiful, the Dollies are a different level. I feel most my falls where because I was looking at something pretty (and nothing to do with skill levels... Very Happy ). I would say you get the best bits of other places...so the varied terrain and runs of the 3V with the prices and laid back attitude of Saalbach. When we go back, I'd base us in Selva or somewhere in the Alta Badia. Feels like there is more skiing that side that suits us more. The only downside was I like big vertical. Going right up to the top of somewhere and skiing down (not necessarily on 1 run). This trip did feel like we spent more time on lifts than we have done elsewhere.

We have only been skiing since 2016 (first trip was L2A followed by Montgenevre) so we are still learning and finding what suits us most. So this week in the Dolomites was our 6th full week on the slopes.
ski holidays
Potential new project to replace the 2 seater Monte Pana chair in St Christina with a funicular railway. For some bizzare reason I though they already upgraded this chair, but doesn't look like it has!!

https://www.rainews.it/tgr/trail/video/2020/02/tra-Monte-Pana-30b92f2f-56b9-412a-a924-0b87afa04dbd.html?fbclid=IwAR3XMqe2ovdzzrU6iRU4ZvG5kCJ9pha29axjjkkHD-rzfdbMKDO0ouw6bd0
snow conditions
@PeakyB, Better scenery than all the above. Better prices than big name French resorts. More refined food than Austria (and actually France too). Much better coffee than all mentioned! The skiing lacks really hard slopes, the conditions on piste are usually fine (they do better piste management, having less natural snow) so less icy patches and moguls (I kinda like moguls....). Not as expansive skiing as the 3v and going up the Marmolada takes a fair chunk of time (spent on lifts)
latest report
@Fridge03, @sugardaddy,

Yes I agree with your summaries, comparisons and contrasts with those big circuit French areas. I’m a bit out of date with Austria but Kronplatz and the area around Ortisei had a very Austrian feel to them anyway I thought, being part of the Tirol.

I didn’t measure the vertical drop the day we skied around Seceda but one run felt like it went on forever. Similarly a black piste down to Pozza I think (Olympic?) was long by most European standards.

My personal favourite for getting the adrenaline going is still Val D’Isere/Tignes. But the Dolomiti ski area has an overall ambience that is difficult to beat. 3V for me comes a close third, though I know it’s significantly bigger than Val D/Tignes.

I know what you mean about Alta Badia and Selva being a good base and have often thought the same. However on my 2 trips this season, mid Jan and early Feb, snow conditions were consistently better in the Val Di Fassa sector I thought. Coupled with the pistes there being much quieter than Selva/Corvara/San Cassiano it changed my mind somewhat.

I have a soft spot for Arabba as a base though and it’s well positioned to strike off in either direction. Although it was a heavy day, we managed Santa Croce and the Marmolada glacier from Arabba and still had time for lunch and a drinks stop.

Also managed to get first visits in to Kronplatz, St Cristina and Alpe de Suisi, all of which I enjoyed for different reasons.

Dolomiti...the gift that keeps on giving snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy