Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile or Claviere 15 Mar for intermediate boarder?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at either La Thuile or Claviere for 15 Mar week as those are where Crystal has a Kids' Club. 2 adults and a 6 year old. I'm a cautious boarder and will be six months post shoulder op, so looking for long cruisy blues and easy reds in a resort with easily avoidable drag lifts and flat bits. Which do you think would be more suitable?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not been to la thuile but was in claviere around 12 yr ago. I didn't rate claviere and is one of only 2 resorts I would not return to. The infrastructure was pretty basic in terms of lifts etc so not sure if they've been updated or not. Also a lot of the toilets were holes in the ground, so not ideal in ski gear.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have skied in both resorts in the last year (from La Rosiere and Montgenevre respectively) and they are lovely from a skier perspective but I'm not sure if they are the best resorts for boarders. In Claviere the lifts are all chairs so you would not have to do any drag lifts but some of the runs have short uphill or flatish sections. If you went over to Montgenevre you would need to come back to Claviere via the high up Roche d'Aigle route as the lower route involves poling even for skiers.

If you are in La Thuile and want to ski in La Rosiere you will have to do one drag lift to get back to the Italian side. There are two but you can avoid the second by taking a run from the top of the first drag down to a chair and go back that way. There is also a long gentle blue in the area above les suches that might be a bit of an effort on a board.

I would say that Montgenevre, La Rosiere or Les Arcs would be better bets for the terrain you are looking for but am not sure if any of them have Crystal kids clubs? Between Claviere and La Thuile I would choose Claviere.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@oldschool72, Neither. Claviere for the reasons stated above and La Thuile because the link to La Roz on a board is rubbish and the slopes coming back down into La Thuile are steep. Having taken a quick look at the Crystal site, I'd recommend Gressoney for you. It used to be my "back Door" resort when my kids were little and is a favourite, together with Champoluc, of the British Schools Ski races. Italian style, quiet at night but some lovely long cruising reds. The link across to Alagna can be difficult in high winds, but in March you should be fine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All good food for thought, thanks. Will check out the alternatives suggested. Only having one week's snow holiday a year, I want to choose somewhere that's quite a bit better than tolerable!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy