Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I want to go Summer Skiing and Boarding

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have any advice on how to do this or which resort ?

Im worried the transfers will be crazy expensive..
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
austrian glacier?
otherwise south america?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It means going to a glacier that is open for skiing. Here in Austria Hintertux is open year round. Kitzsteinhorn is open at the moment until the end of July. There are others such as Stubai, Pitztal, Mölltal, I'm not sure when these are open.

In France there is summer skiing on glaciers in places like Tignes. In Switzerland, Zermatt, Saas Fee.

In terms of transfers, here in Austria it is pretty easy, either hire a car or use cheap and easy public transport. For Hintertux, get a train to Zillertal, then bus or taxi. For Kitzsteinhorn, get a train to Zell am See, then bus or taxi.

It's been a long time since I skied in summer, from what I remember it is pretty limited, a couple of lifts/runs. Hard crust in the morning, liquid by dinnertime. Although I live nearby, I can't really be bothered with it, a lot of faff for little gain. But I can understand why people can't wait for winter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@IM_BRANDY, Chile, Argentina, Oz or NZ
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@IM_BRANDY, it's true that the best way to get in some summer skiing is to go to the Southern Hemisphere. But that's expensive; if you are worried about transfer costs in Europe then going to Chile may be too big a hit.

OK, Europe. The snow is staying late this year. There's lots. Haven't seen it like this for a long time in the Valais. So....Zermatt and Saas Fe both good in the Summer, but Zermatt expensive compared with Saas - you can get cheap lodging in some places in and around Saas - get an airB&B. Zermatt can be a pain since the limited top runs in the Summer are dominated by national teams from around the world. Fun to be with but limits time on the snow.

I have never been to Stelvio but hear very good report. Cheaper too. And this year the snow is staying, up high in that area. Worth checking webcams and meteo for that area.
Rain is forecast for the next few days - this tends to kill the snow at this time of year - this Atlantic storm which is dumping rain on Britain right now will head across Eastwards and fall heavily in the high Alps. So do take a look at the conditions in the next week. Need to monitor it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This year California has had a huge winter, and Mammoth at least will be staying open until August. At present it still has a good 2500ft of skiable vertical, way more than an alpine glacier.

However, if transfer prices in the alps are a concern, flights to California might not work!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Why would they be more expensive than winter? IIRC the train from Geneva to Bourg st Mauriceis the same price summer or winter and car hire may actually be cheeper since you don't have to worry about snow chains.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok - How about booking a summer holiday with a Tour Operator to a resort near summer skiing ?

I'm thinking something like Mayrhofen or Zermatt
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IM_BRANDY wrote:

Fly to Innsbruck & use public transport to Stubai or Hintertux. Crazy Cheap.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@IM_BRANDY, OK...I’ve looked at airb&B and there are some cheap options at Stelvio, but the transfer and access are more complex than Saas Fee or Zermatt. Saas F is a really good option, here is the travel plan:

- London Gatwick to Geneva
- Train to Visp about 70 gbp return booked in advance - 2.5 hours
- Postbus up to Saas F about 40 gbp booked in advance
- Air B&B some still available in August

There will be plenty of good craic between boarders on the glacier and in the town
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A number of locations............ Be they in Europe, North America, South America or New Zealand. Think it through, what makes the most pragmatic sense, get up-to-date honest report and make your decision that critically factors travel, lodging, etc. Do it intelligently......., no "cart (Dionysus) before the horse (Apollo).........."
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queenie pretty please wrote:
It means going to a glacier that is open for skiing. Here in Austria Hintertux is open year round. Kitzsteinhorn is open at the moment until the end of July. There are others such as Stubai, Pitztal, Mölltal, I'm not sure when these are open.

In France there is summer skiing on glaciers in places like Tignes. In Switzerland, Zermatt, Saas Fee.

In terms of transfers, here in Austria it is pretty easy, either hire a car or use cheap and easy public transport. For Hintertux, get a train to Zillertal, then bus or taxi. For Kitzsteinhorn, get a train to Zell am See, then bus or taxi.

It's been a long time since I skied in summer, from what I remember it is pretty limited, a couple of lifts/runs. Hard crust in the morning, liquid by dinnertime. Although I live nearby, I can't really be bothered with it, a lot of faff for little gain. But I can understand why people can't wait for winter.

I’m pretty sure that the Kitzsteinhorn is now closed for skiing until 29 June, when it is due to reopen for about three weeks of very limited summer skiing. It ain’t like it used to be, despite the huge snowfalls this last winter.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Austrian Seagull, five open lifts and people skiing on the webcams.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Austrian Seagull, five open lifts and people skiing on the webcams.

The lifts are open for hikers, sightseeing, sledging, etc., but sadly no skiing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Austrian Seagull, maybe worth checking out the website....

“From June 29 until July 21, 2019 summer skiing operation (at Magnetköpfllift), then open again from autumn 2019.” (from https://www.kitzsteinhorn.at/en/service/information/hours-of-operation).

Wish I could pop out for a slide...
latest report
Inboard wrote:
@Austrian Seagull, maybe worth checking out the website....

Wish I could pop out for a slide...

I did! I also know from my own eyes that there is currently no skiing on the Kitzsteinhorn. Others appear to have a contra view.
snow report
@Austrian Seagull, curious! But not going to argue if you can actually see the place Happy
ski holidays
Inboard wrote:
@Austrian Seagull, curious! But not going to argue if you can actually see the place Happy

What are you curious about? I’m curious! Skiing is due to operate from 29 June until 21 July. It’s 10 June today and therefore currently no skiing.
ski holidays
Maybe I saw some ski tourers on the webcam.
snow report
Just book it and go.

Worry about the cost later.

Almost all the European skiable glaciers have melted away.

Do it while you can.

They don't have long left.

Try these:

1. Hintertux, Austria (steepest).
2. Les 2 Alpes, France (prettiest).
3. Zermatt, Switzerland (reliablest).
4. Las Lenas, Argentina (offpiste).
snow conditions
5. Tignes - Easiest access from resort (6 or 7 minute funicular trip).
ski holidays
I did this one year...loads of fun

https://highcascade.com/adult-camps
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy