Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski terminology that bugs you...

Poster: A snowHead
@davidof, shep, should it not anyway be “téléporté”?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
@davidof, shep, should it not anyway be “téléporté”?

If I were ever to use a “téléporté” I'd hope that the Heisenberg compensators were in full working order..... wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike Pow wrote:
So essentially most Americanised ski vocabulary gets up most people's noses.

not if Americans are using it though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
......quiver killer......

Quiver Killer is a product name.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
So essentially most Americanised ski vocabulary gets up most people's noses.

Doesn’t that make it sound equally daft?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
send it Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sticks instead of poles
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never encountered 'send it' before reading this thread.

Must say that none of these more or less silly terms really bother me, except CourchevAl, which for some unknown reason annoys the hell out of me. As an aside, I refer to myself as a punter quite happily, but am not keen on being called a gaper just because I dare to wear sunnies with my helmet. (There is, however, no gap between my helmet and my goggles when I do wear them. wink )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It appears that I have been misinterperating words:

POW - isn't that what batman says when punching someone?
Groomer - isn't that someone who combs my hair for me (and picks out the nits)
Bluebird day - isn't that the weather when you stay in doors eating a particular brand of toffee
Hardshell - isn't that another name for body armour - to protect your back
Waterproof pants - for incontinance
Ski pant - one half of the rinforced underpants I use for skiing
Base Layer - the first snow on the ground binding to the grass and rocks
Mid layer - the bit that slides off the base layer and causes avalanches
Quiver - where I keep my arrows not my skis
Egg - as in telecabine - are these for eating or throwing

The are some other terms that grate a bit -

Instructors saying pressure when they mean force or power when they mean force. It all confuses me
Talking about icy pistes - isn't all snow really ice? (pleae no discussion about recreational drugs). Just talk about the firmness of the piste or genuine water ice.

I loved the discussion about telepherique and teleferique did Swift not mention a war about which end of an egg be opened
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Yes that's the point. It just sounds a bit naff coming from us.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another one here who hates bluebird! It's a sunny day, blue skies etc for crying out loud! I think people who use it are Great Tits!

Not keen on the use of the word awesome for everything and every one, either!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gondolas - Bubbles - Cable cars- Pomas - Ropeways, you say potato I say potato Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was disappointed when the snow plough first passed.
I was expecting nice neat furrows into which I could plant snow peas, instead it pushed all the snow to the side of the road.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx, I hate poles instead of sticks! I think poles are what you use to make gates - NB not "control gates", just gates.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stoked.

Even just typing it has me developing a psychopathic twitch.
ski holidays
People calling a gondola a cable car ... mainly the press and non-skiers.
latest report
bar shaker wrote:
Stoked.

Even just typing it has me developing a psychopathic twitch.

Agreed. Doesn't a stoker shovel coal into the furnace on a steam-driven ship? So if you say I'm stoked, does that mean a stoker has filled your holes with solid fuel? Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

Indeed, in Venice there are no cable cars
[

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 7-06-19 12:51; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Instructors saying pressure when they mean force

They do mean pressure.
ski holidays
Quote:

They do mean pressure.

So how do I change thew area of my skis?
latest report
"I dropped into this run" ...when they just skied round a corner to the start of a new run, or picked another line to ski ...
Saying "3 2 1 Dropping" to a mate who is 10 yards away, bored stiff from looking through his camera or pointing his phone at the offender for five minutes, while he faffs and considers and reconsiders his pending death ... invariably followed by something rather unimpressive ..
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
davidof wrote:

er no, quiver killer is a term used to mean a single product that can, theoretically, replace a whole stable of specialized products, used in the board, mtb, surf communities.
snow report
@DTB, ....jury is out re English .... essentially French, apparently.

Resort etymology

Etymology 1. From Middle English resorten, from Old French resortir (“to fall back, return, resort, have recourse, appeal”), back-formation from sortir (“to go out”) .

'Cake' however - very important in the afternoon during skiing - is Old Norse.

Cake etymology
Etymology 1. From Middle English cake, from Old Norse kaka (“cake”) (compare Norwegian kake, Icelandic/Swedish kaka, Danish kage ), from Proto-Germanic *kakǭ (“cake”), from Proto-Indo-European *gog (“ball-shaped object”) (compare Romanian gogoașă (“doughnut”) and gogă (“walnut, nut”); Lithuanian gúoge (“head of cabbage”),...

'Cack' however is a very useful term in skiing, as in 'that south facing slope is just a load of cack by 2pm'. Spot on. And fairly English.

"excrement, act of voiding excrement," Old English (in cac-hus); as a verb, "to void excrement," mid-15c., from Latin cacare
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
Quote:

Yes that's the point. It just sounds a bit naff coming from us.

Not when we are a nation culturally blessed with the gifts of irony and sarcasm
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@Markymark29, OK take away the skiing - what does isolated valley town Ischgl look like? A few farms and maybe a bar. maybe at a pinch a couple of pensions for passing through summer hikers. Certainly no podium dancers and fur filled boutiques. It's a resort - it has an "artificial" state of development related to its tourist industry.

Well I think you can apply that to almost any/every town or village that's anywhere close to a ski area. Just taking Morzine as another example, would it be anything like as bug without the skiing? Would there be more than a scattering of houses in Montriond, or Saint-Jean-d'Aulps without the skiing?

At least places like Ischgl would still exist without skiing, unlike say Avoriaz or the assorted Les Arcs/La Plagnes. Hell there's still at least one working farm right in the middle Ischgl, by the Salner restaurant, where the cows are in a shed during the winter. There used to be another under Intersport Brundl, though not sure if that's still there following the redevelopment of that block.
latest report
davidof wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
davidof wrote:

er no, quiver killer is a term used to mean a single product that can, theoretically, replace a whole stable of specialized products, used in the board, mtb, surf communities.

Might be news to these guys - https://quiverkiller.com/.

No sign of a trademark on the website so not a protected term so can be used for other purposes.
snow report
Mjit wrote:

At least places like Ischgl would still exist without skiing, unlike say Avoriaz or the assorted Les Arcs/La Plagnes. Hell there's still at least one working farm right in the middle Ischgl, by the Salner restaurant, where the cows are in a shed during the winter. There used to be another under Intersport Brundl, though not sure if that's still there following the redevelopment of that block.

That's just the difference between purpose built resort and a place that has evolved into a resort. There are plenty of former low key fishing villages on coastlines around the world that you'd be very hard pushed to claim weren't resorts. Same with mountain farming villages (or mining towns etc in N America) re skiing.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Mjit wrote:

That's just the difference between purpose built resort and a place that has evolved into a resort. There are plenty of former low key fishing villages on coastlines around the world that you'd be very hard pushed to claim weren't resorts. Same with mountain farming villages (or mining towns etc in N America) re skiing.

For most tourist, a resort is all they see or care about when they're spending their 1-week holiday there, skiing, surfing or mountain climbing. Most tourist don't even know there're other business, be it farming or fishing that exist alongside. They can't tell the difference regardless. (they maybe able to see the difference if they come in summer though)

The biggest difference is whether the residents will stay if the ski lift stops spinning, permanently.

Cham will continue to exist even if all the ski lifts are all dismantled. People will continue to climb, to skin up and ski down. Some villages will continue or "devolve" back to its original function, farming or fishing or whatever. Many purpose build resorts though may not survive if the skiing are taken away. Though that's theoretical at best, as most purpose build resorts will continue to spin their lifts, with man made snow if need be.

For most of holiday going punters, it makes no difference. But for those who choose to live there, the difference is clear.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

+1. any small village, with a population in four figures, that has umpteen large hotels is pretty much a resort.
snow report
Quote:

Cham

Ah, there's another (mild) pet hate. I've never heard anyone who is French saying this.
snow conditions
@limegreen1, +1

"Dropping" implies there's some weightlessness, however short.
ski holidays
As I suspected this thread as become a pedants paradise.
snow report
stevew wrote:

Please enlighten me as to why you think they are different?
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
As I suspected this thread as become a pedants paradise.

... has become.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, “Cham” is often heard amongst the French locals...
snow report
@Hurtle, that’s because there aren’t any French people in Cham NehNeh
snow report
@Arno, haha. True.
snow report
Layne wrote:
stevew wrote:

Ah you asked for pedantry when surely the most rudimentary observation would note that cable cars ascend and descend on the same line and are counterbalanced working synchronously while a gondola operates with fixed cabins rotating round a single circuit. A gondola with a single cabin would work, a cable car wouldn't.

& don't get into the Seppos who call a cable car a tram e.g. Jackson Hole and a tram a cable car e.g. San Francisco wink Though I suspect the latter may have operated at some point on some counterbalance system.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, I raise you........La Grave.... HA! Cable car masquerading as gondola - Or gondola presenting to be cable car.....basta+++s

http://www.fall-line.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Telecabs-1-1.jpg
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
stevew wrote:

What Dave of the Marmottes says. I was thinking from an engineering perspective. The La Grave one is a pulse gondola?

I thought San Fransisco cable cars still operate by cable but not sure of gravity assist element?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy