Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski terminology that bugs you...

Poster: A snowHead
@Markymark29, OK take away the skiing - what does isolated valley town Ischgl look like? A few farms and maybe a bar. maybe at a pinch a couple of pensions for passing through summer hikers. Certainly no podium dancers and fur filled boutiques. It's a resort - it has an "artificial" state of development related to its tourist industry.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mjit wrote:
... A Tour Operator is just a pretentious name for a Travel Agent who sells package holidays.

No, they have distinct meanings which should be clear from the names.
---

The term "hard shell" doesn't mean "coat" and exists for a specific reason. "Jumpers" and "coats" sound like the clothes old people wear.

I really like the "punter" word, although it needs to be used carefully of course. "tourist" would probably be the North American equivalent.
It's a bit more polite and only a pejorative if you take it that way.

As someone said "bluebird" doesn't mean "sunny", it's more precise than that.
I guess the UK term for that would be "clear and sunny", or "blue sky no clouds", both of which are longer than the American "bluebird". That disposes of the argument given.
I've no idea what the etymology of that is, and I'm not convinced that anyone who uses it thinks of birds rather than what it actually means. That's common with much language.

The only way the language stops changing is if it dies.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it is not a specific ski term, but i think we can dispense with dope. more on point, groomers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dave of the Marmottes, We'll agree to differ then, it'd be a village if no winter sports, and not a town. Semantics really, who cares? Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, @dode, Yes Yes Yes. POW AGhhhhh. Hate that especially when used after a bit if new fresh rather damp snowfall. These idiots who say it have NEVER experienced real powder, NOT pow!!! Agree with so much in this thread. Pity I haven't got all day to agree with everyone!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, yeah semantics but that's what I take it to mean. There are some places that probably merit the town tag rather than resort e.g. Briancon but then somewhere that you could say was similar like Zell Am See I'd still call a resort because of focus of activities toward tourism year round so I'm probably fairly arbitrary. It's a lot easier in North America - Whistler = Ski resort, Banff because you drive or bus a considerable way to the slopes = Ski Town, Squaw = Resort, Alpine Shreadows- Ski Area, Truckee - Mountain Town.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mjit wrote:
Actually there's a whole set here:
Coal tit day - early/late season day when the dirts coming through the snow.
Great tit day - that day when you make a complete tit of yourself but misjudging a snow spreay stop, etc.
Gold tit day - any time you spot someone in gold lame ski gear.

I've skied some Witches tit days too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Resort definition - a place that is frequented for holidays or recreation or for a particular purpose. So a ski area with purpose built lifts seems to fit the definition pretty well.

The one I don't like is punter. Imo comes across quite arrogant. Also I don't think it's even used correctly as surely anyone not paid to ski is technically a punter.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mirabel and Courcheval
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stivot, slarving rolling eyes wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boarder2020 wrote:

The one I don't like is punter. Imo comes across quite arrogant. Also I don't think it's even used correctly as surely anyone not paid to ski is technically a punter.

Zakly. We're all punters and should own it. Funnily enough it seems to be instructors and the more PC "official" levels of TOs that think its a demeaning term. By definition if we've gambled money or time on a good skiing experience we've punted on it. Though you probably could find some plausible fake etymology that claims it derives from torurist shenanagins on the River Cam or somesuch.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"Punter" .... really gets on my t*ts ....
"Pow" or even "powder" ... when its just fresh snow ....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hurtle, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow y'all do like complaining a lot....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dave of the Marmottes, ...are you sure you mean the Cam or are you referring to the Granta?

...(very right to think wft you pretentious b++++d) it's just that this question seems spot on in the deeply pedantic vein of this thread.

And on ski terminology which sucks....

Sucks is a good candidate for deletion.
Terrain does not 'suck'
Skis do not 'suck'
A baby 'sucks'
So does a mosquito.
ski holidays
@valais2, depends where you are in relation to Silver Street apparently though maybe I should have just called the Backs...[/pseud]
latest report
Shred / Shredding spoo
ski holidays
essex wrote:
Wow y'all do like complaining a lot....

Nah, just something to do in the off-season Toofy Grin
latest report
davidof wrote:
I'm not surprised you didn't

From greek:-

télé - far
φέρω (phero) - to carry

You wouldn't mix greek and latin (ferum - iron).

"Television? The word is half Greek, half Latin. No good can come of it". C. P. Scott

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'd say "pants" when you mean "trousers", but the last time I did, the oracle that is frostythesnowman pointed out that, having to say "Tarquin, your skiing is trousers" just didn't work.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, ...exactly...Silver Street bridge - Granta upstream, Cam downstream.

Just one of the many arcane elements of the Dark City.
snow report
@x7,

Send
Sending it

Correct:

Did you send that parcel?

Incorrect:

Did you send that cliff?

Obviously not, it would not fit into the postbox
snow conditions
Tarquin wrote:
I'd say "pants" when you mean "trousers", but the last time I did, the oracle that is frostythesnowman pointed out that, having to say "Tarquin, your skiing is trousers" just didn't work.
Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
boilerplate nooooo it is just icy.

No, there're different degree of "icy". Boiler plate is on the harder end, when your edges can't bite into the ice so hard it... resembles boiler plate

Sort of like "hard shell" is a coat, but only a specific type of coat that repels water without fail.
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, fabulous!

@valais2, f-me, I never knew that. My three years there were obviously wasted.
latest report
@abc, ...you're not supposed to be on here justifying things, you're supposed to be trashing them....
snow report
@valais2, I'll happily trash pow and bro. But boiler plate and hard shell is quite justifiable (actually the first time I heard the term "hard shell", an image of a turtle came to mind -- which is rather appropriate in describing the dry, warm & happi'sh owner of that 'shell'!)
snow report
@abc, Water injected snow is great, sharpen your edges more often.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I still have no idea about which sort of jacket I prefer - hard or soft shell!

@Tarquin, surely in that context, pants means knickers rather than trousers?
snow report
Hooning.

Verb. To ski outwith one's skill set.
ski holidays
“Powder” or “pow” when used by an Australian lift company to describe any fall of snow; anything from sleet to actual powder. “Dump” = more than 2cm of powder (See above).
snow report
valais2 wrote:
@x7,

Send
Sending it

Correct:

Did you send that parcel?

Incorrect:

Did you send that cliff?

Obviously not, it would not fit into the postbox

Laughing Laughing I’m taking that down to the bouldering wall next week for the next time someone claims to send a problem Cool

Though they all now think I’m mad after having to explain that teatime had sod all to do with tea rolling eyes

Incidentally, it was the one I was going to pull up. See also full send.
ski holidays
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
@pam w, @dode, Yes Yes Yes. POW AGhhhhh. Hate that especially when used after a bit if new fresh rather damp snowfall. These idiots who say it have NEVER experienced real powder, NOT pow!!! Agree with so much in this thread. Pity I haven't got all day to agree with everyone!!

This. Hate people going on about "pow". Shut up.
snow conditions
Piste, when it's used for anything except a designated ski run in Europe. The rest of the world does not have pistes. Packed snow is not piste, groomed snow is not piste, snow can't be pisted.
latest report
So essentially most Americanised ski vocabulary gets up most people's noses.
snow report
@davidof, You might mix Greek and Latin if you were a fan of ‘polyamory’ but then again you might think that ‘amoral’ as it is a bit like ‘bigamy’ and only something that ‘dysfunctional’ people might do and not really normal behaviour for ‘heterosexuals’ or even ‘homosexuals’ even if we see a lot of it on the ‘television’ these days. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
"Necessarally" is my new favourite.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Mirabel and Courcheval
+1.
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
So essentially most Americanised ski vocabulary gets up most people's noses.
yes, that’s about right!
latest report
Pow, groomer, bluebird, in resort

I think the last is English?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy