Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria beats France....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@johnE, whilst I am an Austria person I agree to a degree...but I have never had lift pass staff do anything other than sell the lift pass. Where we go the staff do greet you but shaking hands?....too busy serving. Restsurants...sometimes get a digestif but i couldn't care less if they don't...can't stand genepi and it's ilk. I do like when you have bought 3 rounds you get one one the house in France...never had that in Austria...business is business.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 10-06-19 12:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
your point is ???????????????

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 10-06-19 16:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skimastaaah, what bit don't you understand?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nothing to explain re lift pass prices. you say how many days, there's 1 price.

Soelden and Lech are anomalies in terms of prices etc. for Austria. It's a bit like saying Courchevel is typical of French, which is so expensive it makes Lech look like a bargain, unless you have the insider information about the best places. If that puts you off a country, then excellent, fewer people in my way Smile
€4/beer in Austria (proper beer), practically anywhere on or off mountain. €6/beer in Tignes (sorry that's seasonaire discount prices, for carbonated gnat's p**s), €9.90 in Courchevel (really, is that 10¢ change really worth the effort?!)

30 min lift queues? never seen one any where near that long in the last decade or so, in any resort/village, in any alpine country. Mayrhofen, Zell am Ziller, Kaltenbach, Lech, Soelden... I had to wait for 2 gondolas/chairs to go ahead before mine once. I don't remember much longer in France. Italy has a few black spots on the main motorway pistes home, although it's not so bad now.

Oh, and heated 8er chairs ftw Smile (only ever seen them in 2 countries).

If you want service and hospitality, go to Slovenia. P***es all over the equivalent hospitality of every other alpine nation I've skied/MTBed in. By some margin.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Soelden may be an anomaly in Austria regarding prices but as @T Bar said earlier the difference between resorts in the same country is greater than the difference between countries. I have seen similar prices in Courcheval.

@holidayloverxx, Usually when I call into the lift pass office in Les Arcs the staff will discuss the weather, the state of the piste and the benefit or not of buying a paradiski pass as opposed to a Les Arcs pass. They even took the time to research how to get to La Rossiere for a day the other side of the valley. I'd hurt my back one day and for some reason didn't have a lift pass for that day (It's a long story). Since I was to join the rest of our group for a meal and torch light descent from the Arpette I went into the lift pass office to get a half day pass. The lasy behind the counter politely asked me why and when I explained it was really only to do a coouple local runs then join the others at the Arpette she advised me to buy a day local area pass just covering Arc1600 to Vallandy side of the mountain which was cheaper. And all in English. It is that level of customer care that I find lacking elsewhere.

As to shaking hands etc. It is common practice in France to greet people you know by shaking hands. Go into a bar more than a couple times and the staff know you and will actually chat to you and of course greet you as you enter. On a one week holiday if you use the same resaurant more than a couple times for lunch you get the same response. Politeness is very important in France. You have to be polite to the bar staff, waiters etc.

In Soelden the main bottlenecks were the lifts out of the village in the morning. Huge, pushing, barging queues - not at all pleasant. There were some largish queues for chairlifts up the mountain as well.

As for Slovenia, I've never skied there put when I've been in the summer the hospitality and friendliness has been outstanding.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
in Austria, when a few of us go out for supper I would say about 2 out of 3 times we are given a round of schnapps on the house. During the year we try to go to every place at least once, they notice this and return the compliment. It happens even if you do not go deep into the wine list. It may be different in the large resorts but (broad generalisation) nearly all the hotels, bars and cafes etc are very hospitable, and this rubs off onto the staff wherever they come from.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE wrote:
Soelden may be an anomaly in Austria regarding prices but as @T Bar said earlier the difference between resorts in the same country is greater than the difference between countries. I have seen similar prices in Courcheval.

@holidayloverxx, Usually when I call into the lift pass office in Les Arcs the staff will discuss the weather, the state of the piste and the benefit or not of buying a paradiski pass as opposed to a Les Arcs pass. They even took the time to research how to get to La Rossiere for a day the other side of the valley. I'd hurt my back one day and for some reason didn't have a lift pass for that day (It's a long story). Since I was to join the rest of our group for a meal and torch light descent from the Arpette I went into the lift pass office to get a half day pass. The lasy behind the counter politely asked me why and when I explained it was really only to do a coouple local runs then join the others at the Arpette she advised me to buy a day local area pass just covering Arc1600 to Vallandy side of the mountain which was cheaper. And all in English. It is that level of customer care that I find lacking elsewhere.

As to shaking hands etc. It is common practice in France to greet people you know by shaking hands. Go into a bar more than a couple times and the staff know you and will actually chat to you and of course greet you as you enter. On a one week holiday if you use the same resaurant more than a couple times for lunch you get the same response. Politeness is very important in France. You have to be polite to the bar staff, waiters etc.

In Soelden the main bottlenecks were the lifts out of the village in the morning. Huge, pushing, barging queues - not at all pleasant. There were some largish queues for chairlifts up the mountain as well.

As for Slovenia, I've never skied there put when I've been in the summer the hospitality and friendliness has been outstanding.

Never been to Soelden so i can't comment on the queues. Nice that the lady in Les Arcs has the time to help you, in Flachau they do later in the day but not first thing in the morning. I know about politeness etc in France, it's just different in Austria (still have to be polite of course). Mind you in my favourite restaurant in Flachau I get kisses.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Mind you in my favourite restaurant in Flachau I get kisses.

My wife does. I Don't Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can't see where Crystal's report is published do can't look into the figures more.

Not sure how meaningful it is given it appears to log only what Crystal customers do.

Anyhow from the Planet Ski article the figures are:

Crystal ski holidays - people who went to France

2000/01 - 36.4%
2011/12 - 34.6%
2013/14 - 33.0%
2018/19 - 30%

Crystal ski holidays - people who went to Austria

2000/01 - 18.8%
2011/12 - 27.9%
2013/14 - 28.0%
2018/19 - 32%

Certainly seems to be a long term trend there, although France has only dropped from 36.4 to 30 over nearly 20 years. And as I say this is just Crystal and we can't verify the survey.

I've skied in mostly in France but dabbled in Austria too. Had a great time in both. Main reason for skiing in France is because the diy/drive/apartment/ski in ski out coupled with great skiing is a winner for us. The price of food/beer in restaurants/bars doesn't matter because we don't use them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy