Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When to book for Late February?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Coming from Boston next February to ValT or Chamonix. As I research hotel options nearly all hotels claim to be booked which I don't believe to be true. I was searching last season for the same week (Feb 22-29) and saw availability at most hotels as we approached January. Sure, the prices varied greatly but there was availability. I suspect that the hotels are blocking rooms until a ceetain time when they release them for booking. Is that true and if so when do they release them, 6 months in advance?

Similar debate when I search flights from Boston to Geneva. Round trip flights right now are $2000+ (USD) while I saw flights for $425 rt last year.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That date range is a very popular period in Europe for school 1/2 term holidays. They could be genuinely be booked but even if not they will have no problem filling them. Same goes for flights, it's a super expensive time of the year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@frankacorn, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

If your dates cannot be changed it might be worth looking at somewhere other than France, especially if you are looking for a time which doesn't fit with the Sat/Sat pattern of French holidays.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If they can be changed, and you are keen to go to France, the week starting 6 March (when the French winter holidays end) or the following week would be good. Even if money is no object, the slopes will be much less busy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yup-you’ve picked a super peak week. It’s likely the hotels aren’t fully booked yet, but are about to go live with their availability. If you must head to France, try and avoid those weeks set out in the links below-Paris weeks can be the worst. See this thread for the calendar https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139730
You might want to look further afield at Italy, Austria or Switzerland as they tend not to be quite as manic as the French! Peak weeks means no bargains. However, I would say that these days the lift systems can usually cope. You just have to get to the lift 15-mins early before it opens first thing (and well before the ski school crowds set off). Once up the mountain, and speaking as a regular in the three valleys, queues aren’t that bad unless the weather closes lifts, just book a table if you want to eat out, and don’t expect the mountain to yourself!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Try Milan for cheaper flights (and car hire)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the quick feedback. I’m stuck with that week as it is school break for us as well. This is a boys trip with my 17 year old son so no flexibility on the dates
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Italian resorts will most likely be quieter at this time
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome to snowHeads @ian8080williams snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
frankacorn wrote:
Thanks for the quick feedback. I’m stuck with that week as it is school break for us as well. This is a boys trip with my 17 year old son so no flexibility on the dates

A lot of the flight prices AFAIK are driven by demand, if there is a local school holiday for that departure point that would explain why you are finding high flight prices. Set the dates a couple of weeks earlier in flights to see if that is why you are seeing much higher prices. In which case suggest you research some other routes as I have found that even for school holidays some routes are less that others (eg one year I found Feb half term prices to Oslo significantly less that to French / Swiss / Austrian airports).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy