Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Campervan in Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Switzerland you'll need a work permit, which your employer will get for you.
You need an address to get a work permit.
You can't get a work permit without a job.
This is why most employers want their roster sorted before the season, and the opportunities for turning up during the season and finding work might be limited to ones where staff have left during the season.
Some jobs (not all) require that you already have a work permit - which is a bit chicken and egg.

As for Morzine, there is a Municipal campsite in Le Jotty, where lots of seasonaires spend their winter.
You can get work speaking only English, but that limits what will be available to you.
There's plenty of change-over cleans, or the Saturday ritual of removing a week's worth of baby-gravy from hot tub filters etc..
...but really Saturday is the best day to hit the slopes and be knee-deep in a different kind of white stuff.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just out of interest, how does using the campervan compare to negotiating something like a studio flat for the season, everything included? I ask because it's not unusual for us to be asked whether we'd rent out or apartment for the season, but at a substantially reduced average weekly rate. Last time someone was interested, I think they were talking about around CHF 10,000 for the season - about £8K. Ours is a 2-bed flat, 68m² and the charge would include heating, electricity, wired internet, cableTV and a parking place [this isn't a sales pitch, we wouldn't rent out for a season, as we use it ourselves]. So something like a studio would be proportionately less, I imagine, say £5-6K? I'm sure the van would be cheaper, but if the gap is 'only' £2-3K would that change your strategy? Just a thought.

This sort of arrangement (i.e. a big season booking discount) works for the owner because in many places, the only really guaranteed rental weeks are the school holidays. So that's about 5-6 weeks. Then another 5-8 weeks but very dependent on conditions and even just chance. So an owner who may not be using the place that winter may prefer to have a single, firm season booking and guaranteed income up-front, rather than the usual uncertainty. They also don't have to pay for 10-12 change-over cleanings and new linen. Most online sites don't mention season (or weekday-to-weekday) rates because these are always subject to negotiation, but any big agency will have owners on their books who might be interested in a season arrangement. Obviously, an apartment also gives you an address, (even if post has to go via the rental agency) which may help with work permits.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
no.strife_vanlife wrote:

Thanks for that Alastair i have just had a look.

Do you have any knowledge or advice on job opportunities if were we to be staying on the Jungfrau campsite. I looked at Lauterbrunnen on google maps and t looks like there is a fair bit about in terms of restaurants and hotels etc. Do you have any knowledge of places that require Nanny's ( I know I'm asking habit much here but never know) It would be handy to be able to walk to work or at least have some sort of way of getting there without adding hours onto your day.

How is the Skiing in this resort have you been yourself. Looks like there are plenty of slopes to choose from.

Camping Jungfrau are currently advertising for staff. Here's the ad from the local paper:

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@no.strife_vanlife, the Jungfrau Camping job advert that telford_mike posted above shows two vacancies, the first is for a receptionist but requires German, English and French, so obviously not suitable for your case. However the second one is for an assistant cook/pizza maker. No language skills specified, but I don't know how good you are at making pizzas (the throwing the pizza up in the air to get it thin technique might take a few practice attempts! wink Toofy Grin )
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here's the jobs page in our local paper, including an opening for a mechanic who can repair piste machines, snowmobiles etc!

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/anzeigen/stellen/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@telford_mike, I see one of the job ads is for a "Putzfee". Being ignorant of this term I had to look for an online translation, it seems the literal translation is a "cleaning fairy"! Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
@telford_mike, I see one of the job ads is for a "Putzfee". Being ignorant of this term I had to look for an online translation, it seems the literal translation is a "cleaning fairy"! Laughing

Gotta love some of the Swiss expressions Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
please understand how hard core it is to live in a van in the winter in the alps. the ski schools have driven down their prices, and so the accom for young instructors has had to match, because they get paid peanuts. It will not be great but unless you are really hard core a very cheap b&b or studio sounds better, but it is unlikely to happen in Switz. There are very few nice cleaning ladies in the alps so you can earn quite well; also babysitting pays fine but you will need to turn up looking clean and tidy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So it turns out the Jungfrau campsite is not for permanent living only for weekend and Holiday stays?? in other words its terrible value for money. Ill be starting a new thread soon and it probably wont be the last before we set off. I appreciate all the advice and hopefully we can decide on something that is going to be best.

As it stands I think we are looking more towards just turning up at the resort and finding jobs as and when.
Morzine seems to be the top choice as it is the only place that has a number of car parks which camper vans arnt getting moved on from.

I understand it will be cold in a van but we are doing it so we will learn the hard way I suppose. I will be fine, my gf however could be a different story.

The whole van thing makes things a lot more complicated and actually MORE costly that just rocking up and getting accommodation... go figure
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Living in a van is cheap if you avoid campsites. There were plenty of free aires and free parking areas when I was skiing from a van in Europe. Mostly open air. Sometimes if I was at altitude, and it was forecast to be very cold, paying for covered heated car parking would mean no heating required in the van. I suspect I was being watched by the security cameras, but my van had no windows in the back, and it was not obvious that there was anyone inside.

Without any language skills at all, you will be looking at the lowest paid manual work, which would be best obtained in resort.

Moving around and being nomadic will be beneficial for several reasons. You can move in and out of resorts when the weather and snow is good. You can follow the snow as well by watching the forecasts. Move to a beach area on the Med when you are having a rest, or the snow is bad. (I drove around from Nice to Barcelona during one non-skiing spell, then took a trip to Andorra) Being nomadic allows you to camp cheaply, as the parking police only clamp when the snow is below your tyres.

This does require you have low clearance on your van. Below 2m, 1.9m preferably, in order to get into most covered parking areas.

Maybe in the off periods you could pick up some work off resorts. Plenty of people from vans drive up into resorts, and pitch a table with gloves, scarfs, goggles for sale cheaply imported from China.

You will need to make your hair into dreadlocks to get away with this. Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
no.strife_vanlife wrote:
So it turns out the Jungfrau campsite is not for permanent living only for weekend and Holiday stays?? in other words its terrible value for money.

You can’t live permanently anywhere in Switzerland, even an apartment, without a residence permit. You can't get a year-round permit unless you have a permanent full time job (unless you are a multi-millionaire of course). I think most of the replies to your questions assumed that your plan was to do a season.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another idea I had just now, is to get a bucket and a window cleaning squeegy. Go from door to door in resort asking if anyone wants their windows cleaned. You will be surprised how many people refuse.

When I did this in a job search in California as a student, it resulted in no windows being cleaned, but people appreciated my humour. Particulaly this woman whose house looked like a greenhouse.

It may not result in any windows being cleaned, but if you look useful it may result in other opportunities being offered!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
telford_mike wrote:
no.strife_vanlife wrote:
So it turns out the Jungfrau campsite is not for permanent living only for weekend and Holiday stays?? in other words its terrible value for money.

You can’t live permanently anywhere in Switzerland, even an apartment, without a residence permit. You can't get a year-round permit unless you have a permanent full time job (unless you are a multi-millionaire of course). I think most of the replies to your questions assumed that your plan was to do a season.

Our plan is to do a season?

I'm just more confused now than before. Switzerland is out of the question lets leave it at that.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are going to head over to Morzine early September and scout the place out see how it feels. Think I'm pissing in the wind trying to sort something out online too my different options and eventualities.

Thanks to everyone for the replies
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
no.strife_vanlife wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

no.strife_vanlife wrote:
Hi

My girlfriend and I are setting off travelling europe in August and will be looking to settle down somewhere with jobs for a winter skii season.

You started your thread wanting to do a season, and now you say you want a permanent residence. So what, exactly, is your plan? People have tried to help you, posted adverts for jobs etc, but you appear to have no clue whatever about what living and working in Europe involves. This stuff is not easy, and if you don't have the skills you need, including languages, you frankly have no chance. Don't get me wrong, I wish you good luck, but maybe you need to be a bit more realistic. There are no free tickets to the Alps.
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
no.strife_vanlife wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

no.strife_vanlife wrote:
Hi

My girlfriend and I are setting off travelling europe in August and will be looking to settle down somewhere with jobs for a winter skii season.

You started your thread wanting to do a season, and now you say you want a permanent residence. So what, exactly, is your plan? People have tried to help you, posted adverts for jobs etc, but you appear to have no clue whatever about what living and working in Europe involves. This stuff is not easy, and if you don't have the skills you need, including languages, you frankly have no chance. Don't get me wrong, I wish you good luck, but maybe you need to be a bit more realistic. There are no free tickets to the Alps.

Think you are misunderstanding completely. I enquired to the jungfrau holiday camp about a pitch between oct and April. Now they replied saying that they only supply said pitch for weekends and holidays and not for permanent residence. So no I didn't start the thread by saying one thing and finishing with the other.

We have no clue about working or living in Europe no hence posting on this forum? Do you expect people to have a sixth sense about somewhere they have never been. Look mate I never said at any point it would be easy but if you have teenagers and gap year students going over and getting by ok we will be alright but thanks for the concern. Have no chance? It's 5 month in the alps dude you make it sound like a hunter gatherer mission on a desert island.

Like I have said on a number of other posts on this thread thanks to everyone for the replies. They did help and I think we have come to conclusion of heading over to the alps early, bending a few people's ears and getting a feel for a few places is the best form of attack. Thanks again to anyone that posted.
ski holidays
@no.strife_vanlife, September is the worst time to come here to look for work - everything is closed.
It's open Summer and Winter ( The busiest time in the Summer is from July 14th - August 15th).
Though avoid the Bastille weekend as it's Harley Days, and the place will be wall-2-wall with bikers and there'll be nowhere to park.
I would suggest coming between 1st-12th of July or between 15th and the end of August.
Even though your GF nanny job looks like it's 1/2 the minimum wage ( for 40 hours, it should be c1800 pm), it might be her best bet.
If you want a driver job, then try and get a PCV, D1 or Driver CPC before you come out as it will massively improve your chances.

Good luck mate
ski holidays
WindOfChange wrote:
@no.strife_vanlife, September is the worst time to come here to look for work - everything is closed.
It's open Summer and Winter ( The busiest time in the Summer is from July 14th - August 15th).
Though avoid the Bastille weekend as it's Harley Days, and the place will be wall-2-wall with bikers and there'll be nowhere to park.
I would suggest coming between 1st-12th of July or between 15th and the end of August.
Even though your GF nanny job looks like it's 1/2 the minimum wage ( for 40 hours, it should be c1800 pm), it might be her best bet.
If you want a driver job, then try and get a PCV, D1 or Driver CPC before you come out as it will massively improve your chances.

Good luck mate

Thanks for the info mate that is helpful. We won't be going looking for jobs in September exactly just more to get a feel for the place and find out where the park up spots are. But maybe we will head over towards the end of August instead now you've said that. We are at a wedding in Annecy on the 28th of August so can always pop to morzine before or after that.

Seems my GF might be sorted with a job there now. Cheeky Monkeys got back to her and said a no accomodation based contract/job could be offered at 280 based on an average 25hr week so ideal really. Not 100% but think this including skii pass I'll have to confirm. It atleast offers discount so she seems sorted of she takes that.

Think I'm just going to wing it and do whatever comes up. I'll be getting a little lump from renting my house out in the UK per month so that is abit of a buffer on top of what we have saved if it did come down to that
snow report
Hope you have a great time in Annecy, make sure you bring your budgie smugglers as the lake is really warm late August.
There's loads of great places to park your van for free (near Talloires is stunning ).
I would go to Morzine in the days before tbh...
280pw for 25 hours seems right as the min wage is 10.03 ph.
Just buy the pass yourself online its currently reduced to 750 from a grand, but it was available to 500 back in April (when we got ours).
If you are gonna wing it, then there's causal cleaning jobs (though not every week), if you can play an instrument, sometimes the local bands need musicians for their gigs etc. If you want a proper formal job, SERMA are always hiring lifties, but you would need to understand a bit of French.
Pole Emploi is also your friend and can help.

PM me if you need help with anything.
ski holidays
Thanks man. Ill have the speedos in fo sho haha.
Ill be sure to check out Talloires

Damn never knew about buying it that early but tbh I've been a little pre occupied sorting this van out, nearly there now though. Do you have any idea when the price will go up from 750 again. Just so we know what time we have before we have to sort it.

I play guitar yea so will look into that. Looked into my D1 licence but its the fat end of 1k so not sure about that just now.

Thanks for the help
latest report
I think the preseason pass is up to the end of September.
If you can prove that you're under 26 then its only 380.
The Rhodos in Morzine has open mic night on Mondays, so you can hook up with the other bands there, or otherwise just drink and enjoy the music.
snow conditions
There is a nice riverside free aire with nearby servicepoint at Thones, about halfway between Annecy and La Clusaz.

http://www.mairie-thones.fr/fr/information/99311/aires-camping-car
ski holidays
Quote:
Neither of us speak any other language.

Goodness me. Is that even possible? How can you get th the stage of being an adult and neither of you speaks a foreign language?

Not even I little bit?
snow conditions
@TheGeneralist, loads of people can't speak a second language - certainly not sufficiently well to get a job using a second language
snow report
@holidayloverxx, bit of a shocker isn't it?

A 2nd language should be part of the curriculum from day 1.
snow conditions
Guys, at least learn some useful phrases, just to get by and to introduce yourself, even if it's "Hello, how are you?", "Sorry, my French isn't so good.", "How much is that?", "How long can I park here for?", how to spell you surname letter-by-letter etc. How are you going to manage if a local simply doesn't (or won't) speak English? So perhaps do a Podcast in the basics. I've got a small Moleskine where I've recorded words and phrases for key things like the car, accommodation, breakdowns, doctor/hospital, shopping etc. that I try and revise regularly. At worst, I can refer to it as a last resort if I'm completely stuck. Being young, I'm sure you'll pick it up quicker than you think.
snow conditions
@under a new name, it might well be, but doing it at school and keeping it up to a standard are two different things. I was always good at written french and translations at school, but I couldn't speak it or understand what anyone was saying. Now I can speak it to get by but I couldn't work in the language as I still can't catch what is being said.
snow conditions
@LaForet, that's ok as far as it goes - yo are asking questions. would you be able to understand the answers? what about when the questions are directed at you and you have no idea what the context is (i.e. in a job)?

Useful phrases are useless if you can't hold a conversation (that's what google translate is for wink )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx which is why I recommended a Podcast French course. The better ones have real conversations. My little vocabulaire is based on transcriptions from such a podcast, and includes likely responses. I'm not suggesting you can get to the sort of colloquial French you'd need to really have a serious conversation, but at least it's a start. And I find that a lot of French/Swiss are much more amenable to speaking English if I've at least made the effort to speak a bit of French.
ski holidays
I find listening to French radio while servicing skis helpful. Some of the national stations have local inserts which have people talking in regional accents. Then have the TV news on while making dinner.
snow conditions
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:

Goodness me. Is that even possible? How can you get th the stage of being an adult and neither of you speaks a foreign language?

Not even I little bit?

One of the projects I had when I was living in a van in the Alps and France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, and Spain was to improve my language skills. I have basic level skills in French, and Latin (it has some uses when compared to Italian when written down).

The biggest problem I had when learning French at school was spoken French and comprehension. The problem was due to practice. When you are on your own in a foreign language situation, you have to learn to speak some of the language and get by with sign language for the rest. The biggest improvements I found were when I had been in France for a while, reading and listening to language improvers, and then taken by surprise by French speakers. Sometimes I even found myself thinking in French rather than having to translate it first, then compose my reply in my head and then translate that.

Drinking too much alcohol also seemed to make me much more fluent (although that was my point of view).

It definately improved my oral French, however my vocabulary did not improve a great deal. I also started to recognise french accents, which are different when Portuguese speaks to a French Canadian. Portuguese french sounded a bit like Scottish french. (it doesn't sound french basically)
snow conditions
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:

Not even I little bit?

Evidently, 68% of Brits speak no other language. Its something called prioritising. maybe you should spend less time learning language and more time practicing not being judgemental and ignorant.

If you can't construct a positive reply then id appreciate it if you or anyone else just does'nt bother posting.
snow conditions
On a more positive note around language, we will as said learn basic phrases. More like someone said not to look ignorant in front of locals and to make the effort which we both are not and both do make respectively. We both could hold our own in Spanish when we have done stints in Spanish speaking areas but my French is very limited. Ive always wanted to learn and language and its something I plan do before I kick the bucket.

The bottom line is spending my free time learning the lingo for somewhere I am going to be 5 month is way down on the priority list but I can understand why some people think it is important. To each their own, Live and let live
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
@holidayloverxx which is why I recommended a Podcast French course. The better ones have real conversations. My little vocabulaire is based on transcriptions from such a podcast, and includes likely responses. I'm not suggesting you can get to the sort of colloquial French you'd need to really have a serious conversation, but at least it's a start. And I find that a lot of French/Swiss are much more amenable to speaking English if I've at least made the effort to speak a bit of French.

Thanks for the podcast recommendation. I already listen to alot of audio books. We will have alot of road time so will look into that
ski holidays
Michel Thomas French CDs. Accuracy of his life story is alledgedly questionable but his CDs are fine. Don't care too much about grammer and have fun where ever you go.

Life's too short to worry about the past participle of the verb for milking goats. Most French speak crap French anyway and will hear what they expect to hear. Oh and the Swiss French count differently if you go there.
snow conditions
@no.strife_vanlife, If you're coming to Morzine, you can easily get by with English.
There are so many ex-pats here: I know people who have lived here for 15 years full time, and who get by with about a dozen words of French. Sure everything is easier when you are bi-lingual, but as a seasonaire, honestly, you'll be fine.
latest report
no.strife_vanlife wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
no.strife_vanlife wrote:

I'm just more confused now than before. Switzerland is out of the question lets leave it at that.

You may have given up on Switzerland, but the site I linked earlier ( http://www.schutzenbach.ch/ ) has 10 long term sites (1 nov - 30 apr)
ski holidays
Deleted -- Double post !

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 6-06-19 12:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just a thought, how about somewhere other than Morzine? e.g. Chamonix. Our brother in law and wife managed our apartments here for 5 years and learned no French Shocked & they both managed to pick up side jobs (working for anglophones)...
snow report
duolingo is a good on-line and free resource. if you get some basics to be polite eg in the supermarket the locals will appreciate your effort even if they speak excellent english. They will likely respond in english to start but do not lose your nerve and keep at it. Do not be worried about making mistakes. Once they get to know you they will pay you the compliment of responding slowly in French/German/Whatever.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy