Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tour Operator pay

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to do a Chalet girl job this coming winter, and lots of Tour Operators are offering different amounts of pay. Is there something that I should be looking in to? Does anyone know if there are deductions?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sn0wbunny, welcome to snowHeads. Do a search on here - there's lots of info. That said the rates of pay should show very clearly what is included and what might be deducted e.g. accommodation. if it is not clear, ask them. You may need to give them a deposit which you should get back on completion of the contract.

Others who have actually done the job will be along soon
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just ask them clearly and explicitly to provide a full breakdown of pay and deductions
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's my understanding that Crystal pay the best by a long way. Not allowed to deduct for accommodation in France any more. Might deduct for lift pass/ski hire/lessons if you need them (and decide not to buy them yourself).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Meltus wrote:
It's my understanding that Crystal pay the best by a long way. Not allowed to deduct for accommodation in France any more. Might deduct for lift pass/ski hire/lessons if you need them (and decide not to buy them yourself).

Those might well be the rules, but I’m not sure all the operators follow them...

Be mindful of mandatory deductions for accommodation, food, ski pass and equipment hire. I have heard of at least one operator that charges you full rate for equipment hire even if you bring your own. You could buy kit for the season rent they charge. The apparently attractive wage turns into 100 a week pretty fast.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
even if you bring your own...

It doesn't surprise me. UK seems to produce a healthy supply of chiselling little crooks for junior management.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Work for Inghams, they play by the rules and you'll be looked after.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You better Pray there is No Hard Brexit October 31st because that equals No Transition and No Work in the EU without a visa and work permit
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tax, national insurance, pension contributions, your live in buddies costs when they steal all your food.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sn0wbunny, Welcome to Snowheads, despite what some of the previous posters may have you believe, in recent years most of the decent Tour Operators (Large and Small) have moved to comply with French Employment Law with regards to Pay, Working Hours, Benefits, Deductions etc etc etc.

When comparing offers as both @Dave of the Marmottes and @holidayloverxx suggest ask the question, if the TO is evasive that tells you all you need to know really!

Have a great season Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
telford_mike wrote:
Work for Inghams, they play by the rules and you'll be looked after.

That was also my experience albeit several years ago
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After many years with tour ops in various positions the level of pay is low compared uk yes, but all factors of lift pass, meals etc our included.

Also worked for private companies a lot more weekly pay but lift pass etc not included.

Depends on how much you want to get out of your season skiing/ drinking etc.

What ever enjoy!!.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One thing to consider is how different companies manage sticking to the allowed number of hours worked - you are supposed to get 2 days off a week (talking about France BTW). A friend who was repping in La Plagne this winter said some companies were giving 2 whole days, with everyone getting one day the same, and the second day being varied; others give everyone the same whole day, but the other day is taken as 2 varied half days; others gave 2 whole days, but no one day when everyone was off. First 2 options are ok, but the last one means you never have a day off with all your mates.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:
You better Pray there is No Hard Brexit October 31st because that equals No Transition and No Work in the EU without a visa and work permit

Is that right? I thought there would still be a transition period to December 2020?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@iainm, no transition period unless the withdrawal agreement is ratified. So UK staff would need to apply for a temporary EU work permit.
snow report
queenie pretty please wrote:
@iainm, no transition period unless the withdrawal agreement is ratified. So UK staff would need to apply for a temporary EU work permit.

The French govt have indicated they will be flexible if the UK reciprocates
ski holidays
@snowdave, If you know of ANY TO's that charge staff for equipment hire even if they bring their own, NAME them, as I think you are just 'blowing smoke' to confuse the OP.
snow report
@Old Man Of Lech,

Ski Amis

I trust you will be as fast to apologise as you were to level accusations of dishonesty?
latest report
@snowdave, Absolutely! The trouble with many of these threads is that people who actually know very little or anything about how ski TO's work, often make wildly inaccurate accusations and statements based more on supposition than anything. I do of course know of Ski Amis but as I tend to shy away from working in France I obviously don't know enough Toofy Grin ! I have worked for several TO's every season since 2005-6, so 14 seasons and had not come across that level of 'claw back' before. Ski AAmiss should definitely be called out on that one. Thank you for enlightening everyone.
snow report
Accepted.

To be completely fair to Ski Ami, having skied with them a couple of times and had fantastic trips, if my kids (in a few years time) came home and said they were planning to do a season with them, I'd be very happy. The reality is that for most young people, it's not a job you do to make money, it's a job you do to enjoy and learn, and all the staff I've encountered seemed to be doing both.
snow conditions
@snowdave, As you so rightly allude to, no one, not with any sense anyway, ever goe's into a season thinking they will be making any descent money. It is, to use that old cliche, all about the lifestyle, and please do not think it restricted to 'young' people. I did my first season at 54 and am currently in negotiations to do next when I will be 69! I can still ski the pants off many youngsters who might not expect it!
ski holidays
So, the OP has not come back to the thread - grrrr
latest report
Thank you everyone! So I should look for companies who pay at least £100 net?
ski holidays
@sn0wbunny,
Your first priority is finding companies who will employ you.
If you then get more than one company offering you a job, then you should be comparing such things as:-
Role(s) offered
Remuneration package - gross and net pay. What else is offered & whether you 'have' to pay for it (travel to & from resort; food & accommodation [and type of accommodation]; season insurance - and does it include skiing/off-piste skiing; ski/snowboard kit hire; staff uniform; laundry [and if so, is this just staff-wear, or also personal clothing]; etc)
Location - do they give you a choice where you would be doing a season, or would you have to go where they send you?
Length of season
Amount of guaranteed mountain time - edited (after OMOL's post) to 'Amount of guaranteed POTENTIAL mountain time'
Training offered

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 30-05-19 13:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Kenzie, Pretty much agree with all you have said, but would point out there is no such thing as 'guaranteed mountain time'! Never has been, never will be. There can only be scheduled days off. What she doe's with them is up to her.
snow report
@sn0wbunny, if you are in a buyers market you buy at the lowest price you can. In a sellers market you buy quickly, or there will be none left.

The number of applications per post advertised can be in 1000s. Most are not applying for the job for money. Their motivation is to "do a season", and hopefully break even at the end of it at best.

First timers in particular, will be best suited to have this motivation as otherwise they will be dissappointed and leave early as many in fact do. Second seasoners, will be more likely to stay the season, and so are more likely to be an asset to a company than a liability.

Given that your primary motivation should be to "get some experience", and that the pay will be bad wherever you go, look for companies who might last the season without going bust.

Large tour operators are not immune from going bust. Small operators will be in two camps. Difficult to separate them, although niche players who are long estabilished should be worth considering.

Many of the chalet operators may be deciding to do outsourcing of the catering and cleaning to local companies rather than recruit their own team. This is more flexible for them, as they can employ a company rather than people.

I would say target any company advertising, as this usually means they are recruiting. Those not advertising posts, are unlikely to take on fresh faces. They are more likly to recruit returners.
ski holidays
Bigtipper wrote:
@sn0wbunny,

The number of applications per post advertised can be in 1000s.

Really Puzzled (Not doubting you, just surprised it would be that many)
snow report
Obviously, I do not have any real statistics on this. However, I suspect some main large tour operaters will get close to that level of interest. Small niche operators generally will get less, especially if they do not advertise.

www.mediargh.com/how-many-applicants/

I was impressed at the number applying for Stranraer free press reporter post. (for those who do not want to risk this website, the number applying was 0)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi @sn0wbunny,

Different companies offer different levels of pay, deductions, roles etc - all of the wages for a first time seasonaire (unless you are a head chef or suchlike in the UK) will be around £100-200 per week after all deductions based on a package where everything you need is included.

Obviously this depends on the company and the country a bit but that is the sort of ball park they are offering - they will all know the final figure if you ask them how much per week you get after everything has been paid and every company will be happy to tell you that in interview if you ask.

In my opinion people don't do a season for the wages, and I would encourage you to look at the whole experience and to choose a company best suited to you so that you have the best overall experience. So, things like days off / accommodation / who you would be working with / average employee profile / the job itself / length of season / resorts offered by the company etc.

Happy hunting!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy