Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jobs in Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
So since our last post we decided on a skiiseaon in Morzine this year. It seems like it is going to be the best option for us for supplies whilst living in our van. The post as titles is about jobs. My girlfriend is going to do nannying as she is a primary school teacher at home and only needs to sort out a crb check.

I however am not sure exactly what I want to do but I have a few questions. Every job I can seem to find is for between €150-200 for a 40 hour week with accommodation ski pass etc included.

- Does minimum wage apply in France?
- is there anywhere I can search for jobs without accommodation etc being offered?
- Does anyone know if there might be gyms in the resort that look for operatives for a season or is that going to be a no go?
- Other that I am open to most jobs.

TIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Working in the Alps totally sucks.

Low pay, low ski, and long hours.

Save some cash, get a loan, or creditcard, and just bumout for 6 months.

Ski every day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hire a minibus when out there & operate as a blackmarket taxi.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yes, well, you may not have noticed but @Whitegold is usually trolling and @Mr.Egg is very often just a twat.

- there is a minimum wage, and maximum hours (unless you are "management")
- you could look at the employment office, pole-emploi.fr, not sure what the assistance is for inbound seasonal expats otherwise there are job sites, in French, obviously
- probably - but you may need French certification
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like a bad deal either way.

We would bum it but the idea is to not dig into our savings so we can bum it the following spring summer around the rest of europe.

Transfer driver job seems to be the best paying I can find so far
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@no.strife_vanlife, go to Switzerland instead.
Plenty of nannying type jobs, plenty of work at proper wages...although it is not The Law the effective minimum wage is chf25/hr, even cleaners and babysitters get that.

The cost of living is higher, but pay is MUCH higher and will way more than make up for it
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rungsp wrote:
Plenty of nannying type jobs, plenty of work at proper wages...although it is not The Law the effective minimum wage is chf25/hr, even cleaners and babysitters get that.

The cost of living is higher, but pay is MUCH higher and will way more than make up for it

Yes so I have been told. However what is the situation on wild camping as we will be living in our motorhome full time and also have done 0 research on switzerland and ski resorts etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
no.strife_vanlife wrote:
rungsp wrote:

Yes so I have been told. However what is the situation on wild camping as we will be living in our motorhome full time and also have done 0 research on switzerland and ski resorts etc.

@rungsp is spot-on. If you want to work, do it in Switzerland. You'll get paid twice as much as you would in France, and there is no need for wild camping as you can easily afford to stay on a nice site with water, elec etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@no.strife_vanlife, you do need to go through work permit formalities however but presuming you have a UK or EU passport you can apply for a work seeking “visa”. More of a notification that that’s what you are doing than anything else.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@no.strife_vanlife, If you're being offered 150-200 for 40 hours in France, thats illegal.
Minimum wage for 35 hours is 1400 gross per month (1200-1000) after tax / deductions.
The extra 5 hours would be overtime on top of that.
Any benefits such as accommodation, meals, transport, lift pass, ski hire etc.. cannot be offered in lieu of the minimum wage, but they can be offered as additional incentives.
Switzerland does pay better, but the formalities are a bit more complicated regarding work permits etc..
I have been on both sides of the coin, as a seasonaire, and also an employer. My advice would be: rather than applying over the phone / internet, come out to Morzine, knock on doors, show your friendly face, and hand out your CV.
The summer is a great time to come rather than the inter-season, since most businesses will be open again, and employers / businesses are more relaxed than in the pre-winter stress-fest.
Your GF might be able to find nanny work with Chilli Powder, Family Ski, Cheeky Monkeys, Jack Frosts etc.. Drive up to Ardent to meet Francesca from (CP) and go over to Montriond to introduce yourself to Family Ski, these companies might have work for both of you.
As for driving transfers, it's no longer the wild west so the wages are correct, but you will probably need either a D1, CPC or have grandfather'd rights to give yourself the best chance.
As also mentioned, the Pole Emploi in Thonon Les Bains carries seasonal vacancies, but the winter ones do not tend to get posted until November.

Good luck in your quest.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@no.strife_vanlife, Only small experience but at the end of our road in Les Collons there is a free car car park where I have seen the odd camper van parked up. I don't think there are any service hook ups though. I would imagine there are areas throughout Switzerland. There is also other free parking along from the Cambuse Hotel which is walkable to the lifts. Small, quiet resort at the edge of the 4v so no idea on the work situation and nightlife is quiet
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A mate of mine did a Season in Verbier with a ski rental shop. I hear the money is good out there and they provided accommodation (not sure about ski pass). The best part was the hours, bar Saturdays he always had either the morning or afternoon off which meant he had a lot of mountain time.

I believe La Chable has a camping spot for you van, but given that it's Switzerland I'm not sure you'll be better off than in a shard chalet.

Good luck, sounds fun!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the replies everyone. Abit torn about the France/Switzerland debate at the moment with this new info coming to light. If we do end up choosing France it will be Morzine.

Can any one recommend resorts in switzerland that like someone mentioned would have a campervan site that is open through the winter season with hookup facilities and also 'walkable' access to skii lifts to get to the slopes.

I can't see a nannying job being a problem for my girlfriend to get wherever she is to be honest. From what I gather it is very sought after and her CV and experience are very strong. As far as a job for me I will do about anything so far rather be somewhere where the minimum for most job is 25 (like someone has said).

We are going in pretty blind. We are not bothered about being on THE best slopes or having THE best snowfall. Just somewhere comfortable where we are paid what we are worth and a good work/life balance.

We are going to be going for one or the other over the coming weeks and ill be researching as I go so if anyone can point me in the direction of some swiss resorts then it would be appreciated.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WindOfChange wrote:
@no.strife_vanlife, If you're being offered 150-200 for 40 hours in France, thats illegal.
Minimum wage for 35 hours is 1400 gross per month (1200-1000) after tax / deductions.
The extra 5 hours would be overtime on top of that.
Any benefits such as accommodation, meals, transport, lift pass, ski hire etc.. cannot be offered in lieu of the minimum wage, but they can be offered as additional incentives.

Hi

The Nannying job was through Cheeky Monkeys and was for 200 on a 40 hour week?

I will keep this in mind but if that is the case then the majority of jobs posted on Skii Jobs are being advertised illegally. I seems that offering incentives in lieu is exactly what employers are doing??

I think i could live with 35pw and coming out with 1400
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@no.strife_vanlife,
With regard to: Ski jobs and wages.

This article was written a year ago:
https://www.planetski.eu/news/10501

The "official" Morzine nursery hires one english speaking assistant each season, and it would we interesting to know how much they pay.

http://www.outa-morzine.com/en/about-us

Good luck with your job search.
snow report
WindOfChange wrote:
@no.strife_vanlife,
With regard to: Ski jobs and wages.

This article was written a year ago:
https://www.planetski.eu/news/10501

The "official" Morzine nursery hires one english speaking assistant each season, and it would we interesting to know how much they pay.

http://www.outa-morzine.com/en/about-us

Good luck with your job search.

Thanks mate if we gt any further forward I will post back
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy