Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best base for a season in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
A friend and I are thinking about spending around 3 months in Austria next year (well he is, I'm going to stay for a few weeks) so I'm wondering:
1) which area has the most skiing? Was thinking either the SuperSki or Ski Amade, in which case, where to be based? It would need to be somewhere with a bit of life - he did this in Les Menuires a few years ago and was bored stupid in the evenings...
2) any ideas of where to find reasonably priced long term lets? 1 bed with sofa bed would be fine!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Leonard Smalls, SuperSki card is hard to beat for a season, includes Ski Amadé and a whole lot more, season pass is discounted if bought before 5th December.

If you want lively après, then bases such as Saalbach, Flachau, Söll would fit the bill. But having said that, you would probably find better value season-long rentals in one of the larger towns such as Bischofshofen, Zell am See, Saalfelden, St Johann.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Leonard Smalls, what kind of skiing are you/ your friend planning on doing? on-piste, off-piste, touring...?

I'll be interested to see what answers come up as we're plotting something similar in a couple of years (which would include a mix of on and off-piste, and touring, between early January and late March) - my current thinking is a base somewhere near Fieberbrunn/ St Johann in Tirol, which, combined with a Superski card and a car, would leave a lot of great options open.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Inboard wrote:
@Leonard Smalls, what kind of skiing are you/ your friend planning on doing? on-piste, off-piste, touring...?

Probably no touring, though we might do some ski-mountaineering, plus on- and a bit of off-piste...
We were in Hinterglemm this year, so don't want to be based in the valley there. And year before we did a week each in Bad Hofgastein and Wagrain so probably not there either!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting question - the obvious answers are to get either the Salzburg SuperSki card (23 ski areas, 2750km of runs for €725), Snow Card Tirol (90 lift companies, 3000km of runs for €797) or the Arlberg card (only 300km of runs but a big wide play area for €837). For the Tirol, Innsbruck is the obvious base - see https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resorts/snow-card-tirol/ for an overview.

For the Superski card, see https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resorts/salzburger-super-ski-card/ for an overview. Just for fun and for my own interest, I made my own Google map of the main resort villages and the areas covered by the Salzburg card, which you can view at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qM9JHKWxNqOshetOXPCP7xxGvImL4aBM&usp=sharing or maybe using https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1qM9JHKWxNqOshetOXPCP7xxGvImL4aBM&ll=47.30390494330194%2C12.855183742724876&z=9 - this makes the sizes of the areas a little clearer, and on a quick glance it becomes clear that you can't easily cover them all from a single base. Zell am See, St Johann and Flachau are the obvious bases to allow for day trips out to different resorts while also having reliable skiing on the doorstep, while places like Saalfelden and Bischofshofen are likely to be cheaper and more normal places rather than dedicated ski resorts, but therefore lack the apres ski vibe if that's important. If you are driving back to a normal town each day or relying on buses, apres will be limited.

If you are visiting a seasonnaire for "a few weeks" then the season card is marginal - for most, the break even point is about 15 days of skiing, so 2.5 weeks of a typical Sunday-Friday 6-day ticket.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Interesting question - the obvious answers are to get either the Salzburg SuperSki card (23 ski areas, 2750km of runs for €725), Snow Card Tirol (90 lift companies, 3000km of runs for €797) or the Arlberg card (only 300km of runs but a big wide play area for €837). For the Tirol, Innsbruck is the obvious base - see https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resorts/snow-card-tirol/ for an overview.

For the Superski card, see https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resorts/salzburger-super-ski-card/ for an overview. Just for fun and for my own interest, I made my own Google map of the main resort villages and the areas covered by the Salzburg card, which you can view at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qM9JHKWxNqOshetOXPCP7xxGvImL4aBM&usp=sharing or maybe using https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1qM9JHKWxNqOshetOXPCP7xxGvImL4aBM&ll=47.30390494330194%2C12.855183742724876&z=9 - this makes the sizes of the areas a little clearer, and on a quick glance it becomes clear that you can't easily cover them all from a single base.

@ousekjarr, your map deserves recognition! Excellent work, thank you for sharing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's not really anything going on in Zell am See in the evenings though, except when the town puts events on.

If I was a great skier, I'd probably go for the Arlberg and stay in St Anton for the best of everything.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LittleBullet wrote:
Quote:

For the Superski card, see https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resorts/salzburger-super-ski-card/ for an overview. Just for fun and for my own interest, I made my own Google map of the main resort villages and the areas covered by the Salzburg card, which you can view at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qM9JHKWxNqOshetOXPCP7xxGvImL4aBM&usp=sharing or maybe using https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1qM9JHKWxNqOshetOXPCP7xxGvImL4aBM&ll=47.30390494330194%2C12.855183742724876&z=9 - this makes the sizes of the areas a little clearer, and on a quick glance it becomes clear that you can't easily cover them all from a single base.

@ousekjarr, your map deserves recognition! Excellent work, thank you for sharing.

+1

Epic work. Cheers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HoneyBunny wrote:
There's not really anything going on in Zell am See in the evenings though, except when the town puts events on.

If I was a great skier, I'd probably go for the Arlberg and stay in St Anton for the best of everything.

HoneyBunny nails it.

St Anton if you're young.

Lech if you're old.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any recommendation for a good place to stay in St. Anton for an American who has never been and won't have/doesn't want a car? Good apartment for a month? Or, at least, a general vicinity? Close to lift. I don't care about nightlife, try to avoid the loud drunks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mr. Pink, you might want to look at Pettneu. Practically everywhere in the village is a short walk away from a ski bus stop, the ski buses run very regularly and it takes 5 minutes or so to get to the lifts. There are some bars and restaurants and a small supermarket in the village. It is quieter and cheaper than St Anton itself. As for St Anton unless you have lots of cash to spend apartments close to the lifts are few and far between. You are likely to end up somewhere (such as the further reaches of Nasserein, Moos or in St Jakob) which really needs a ski bus to the lifts (which is no big deal).

Most places are unaffected by folks stumbling around after leaving the Moose / KK. The area around the bottom of the Galzig lift / main taxi rank and the top end of the main street through the village would be the noisiest places and not many apartments there. It is easy to avoid if you dont like the sight of drunks in ski boots.

St Anton is one of the best places to visit if you dont have a car. The train station is right in the centre of the village and the bus system is very good. There are even night buses and also links to the further away villages down the valley.

To find an apartment the best place to start is the tourist office and there is also http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/apartments/ (no recommendation here, never used them )
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wouldn't Landeck be a good base (without tourists) for St Anton? (22min train journey, last train @ 23:45)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ousekjarr, brilliant work, thanks very much. This will be a great help for my 2020 plan to do 5/6 weeks in two spells in the Salzburger area.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:
Wouldn't Landeck be a good base (without tourists) for St Anton? (22min train journey, last train @ 23:45)

I've never thought of staying there. Been only once, for a week, returning next winter. Pettneu makes way more sense to me, as munich_irish wisely said. Check the rental prices, you'll have to add at least €15 daily for the transit.
It's also a matter of ease of access. I'm arriving by plane to Zurich. Then by train to St. Anton. It's easier and faster/cheaper to get to Pettneu from there upon arrival/leaving/daily.
I just checked the OBB app. It's a snow rich area, l would rather travel to Landeck by train than by bus and after 9 in the morning and 17:30 in the afternoon you have to wait a lot for the train. IMHO it would also limit your ski freedom as well.
There were days in which I chose to stay late in Zurs Lech till closing time, returning by bus to St. Anton. If I would have needed to wait more for the train/bus to take me further to Landeck, I might have modified my schedule thus limiting my time there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I find Fieberbrunn very satisfactory with a Salzburg Super Ski/Kitzbüheler Alpen season pass and I know other Brits who are equally happy in St. Johann and Leogang. This allows skiing to Kitzbühel and the SkiWelt going west (more occasionally to the Wildschönau or Alpbach further off) or to the Gastein valley going east. Plenty variety!
snow report
drporat wrote:
DB wrote:

I've never thought of staying there. Been only once, for a week, returning next winter. Pettneu makes way more sense to me, as munich_irish wisely said. Check the rental prices, you'll have to add at least €15 daily for the transit.
It's also a matter of ease of access. I'm arriving by plane to Zurich. Then by train to St. Anton. It's easier and faster/cheaper to get to Pettneu from there upon arrival/leaving/daily.
I just checked the OBB app. It's a snow rich area, l would rather travel to Landeck by train than by bus and after 9 in the morning and 17:30 in the afternoon you have to wait a lot for the train. IMHO it would also limit your ski freedom as well.
There were days in which I chose to stay late in Zurs Lech till closing time, returning by bus to St. Anton. If I would have needed to wait more for the train/bus to take me further to Landeck, I might have modified my schedule thus limiting my time there.

Landeck is similar to Crewe in terms of transport connections, a lot easier to get public transport to other ski resorts. Is the transport link from St Anton to Pettneu better than from St Anton to Landeck?. (frequency, last train / bus etc)

Looks like the last bus is at 19:35 to Pettneu whereas the trains run longer.
https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/media/2072/download/Linie4242.pdf?v=1
Have stayed in St Anton numerous times, once stayed out of town (Flirsch) but it meant getting taxis for Apres Ski which were a lot more expensive than the train to Landeck.
snow report
@DB, I've stayed in St.Anton as well, so I can't be sure, but Pettneu is closer so a taxi must be cheaper, you have the bus plus the train to Landeck which supposedly stops in Pettneu.
If I would go to Landeck it will be by car, and then park every morning at the free parking of Alpe Rauz. This would get me anywhere IMO, and back. Unless the weather will think otherwise, that is...
snow conditions
Also night busses from St Anton down the valley towards Landeck, last one is 3:30am. They all serve Pettneu, not too sure how many of them go as far as Landeck tho.
ski holidays
@drporat,
From memory St Anton Taxi prices were astronomical. For someone who is thinking of spending months in or near a skiing area I imagine the touristy areas & tourists would get old very quickly. Plus was thinking the OP would most likely want to ski more than one area hence the Landeck suggestion. When I stayed in Flirsch the public transport connection was not very good, maybe they have improved the connection now that Pettneu has closed the lifts. If they have and the plan is to stay in St Anton for 3 months without visiting other ski resorts then Streng, Pettneu or Flirsch could be a good choice.
http://efa.vvt.at/vvtadr/TTB/D_0000db18_TP.pdf
snow report
I understand. It was far from St Anton, as you said, but nothing in Arlberg ain't cheap.
I would sincerely rent a car rather than stay so far and wait a long time for the bus/train.
Plus I enjoyed ending some of my days in Lech.
ski holidays
DB wrote:

Landeck is similar to Crewe in terms of transport connections, a lot easier to get public transport to other ski resorts. Is the transport link from St Anton to Pettneu better than from St Anton to Landeck?. (frequency, last train / bus etc)

Looks like the last bus is at 19:35 to Pettneu whereas the trains run longer.
https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/media/2072/download/Linie4242.pdf?v=1
Have stayed in St Anton numerous times, once stayed out of town (Flirsch) but it meant getting taxis for Apres Ski which were a lot more expensive than the train to Landeck.

Pettneu is a lot more convenient than Landeck if you are only going to ski the Arlberg (stayed in both). The connection to St Anton to / from Pettneu is good even in the evenings (there are night buses) though there are also places to eat and drink in Pettneu, Friedl's bar stays open pretty late. For the odd night in St Anton taxis are fine though agree it would be expensive to use them daily. The train to Landeck is fine but only runs every two hours.

Schnann, Flirsch and especially Strengen are less convenient, fine for ski buses during the day but not so good in the evenings.

If you want to stay for a longer length of time and also to ski the Paznauntal, Serfaus, Nauders etc as well as the Arlberg, Landeck is perfect however do note that whilst almost all resorts are covered by the Tirol Ski card the Arlberg is not one of them
snow conditions
does on pist refer to groomed slopes while off piste natural. I live in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia and we had a good dump three days ago with about a foot at the car park and three foot near the summit. Unfortunately, the snow felt sticky, as it hadn't been hard packed; in fact when I returned to my car via an access track, I had to follow the path that a man in snow shoes had left which I had added to on my way up as I have A.T. bindings and skins. So it was like descending via a chute, with no room to turn, so I used one ski in the unpacked snow to slow my pace. I have a set of 169cm Atomic Nomads with Salamon bindings, which I like, because I can change from one mode to another, without taking my skis off. I suspect that they are a bit heavier, than other types. Anyway, A.T. bindings and skins are very popular here, as we have to walk up from the car park, to the bottom of the lift, on the above mentioned vehicle access trail and it's much better wearing the skis, than carting them and sinking into the snow, with every step. Today was better, as many walkers and some boarders, had packed the snow down, which meant I could go faster. Our snow is wet and heavy and sticky, until its packed; perhaps you know it as spring slush...
ski holidays
I forgot to mention that it takes around half an hour to reach the bottom of the rope tow but these only operate on weekends, if there is enough snow. I walked halfway up the piste and found an impressive snow structure, which gave me shelter from the wind, while I took my skins off and adjusted my boots. Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy