Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Want to stiffen up yer boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
https://www.pulserevelstoke.com/accessories/proflex

And no, I don't sell them but CEM does Cool

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 31-05-19 16:36; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
having tested this, it makes a significant difference to the boot flex, it is an easy install on some boots and a bit trickier on others
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CEM,

How would you put the pros and cons vs a booster strap outside the shell that "ties" the shin to the stiffer spine of the boot?

proflex sort of turns a 2 piece boot into a hybrid cabrio/3 piece doesn't it?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's a clever invention. Simple inventions are the cleverest.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jedster wrote:
@CEM,

How would you put the pros and cons vs a booster strap outside the shell that "ties" the shin to the stiffer spine of the boot?

proflex sort of turns a 2 piece boot into a hybrid cabrio/3 piece doesn't it?

a booster strap doesn't stiffen a boot, it aims the get ride of any gapping between the shell, the liner and the leg, its main purpose is to give a more dynamic rebound. the proflex plate on the other hand gives an increase in stiffness to the boot as you are flexing through a 3rd piece of plastic which has the advantage of being fixed to the lower shell of the boot, as it sits on the medial side of the boot it increases the power to the driving face of the boot and therefore the ski. as it is fixed to the lower shell and an additional piece of plastic it is not turning the boot into a 3 piece hybrid, it is more akin to a better version of the driver plates we used to fit to race boots 15-20 years ago

for us it is more likely going to be used for the guy who bought the 110 flex and has progressed quickly and can't afford a new boot but wants more performance than the guy who is already in the 130, most of the 130 boots are stiff enough for the majority of skiers, and if they need (read want) it stiffer for whatever reason then this gives a really good solution

it does affect the walking mode on the boot a little in terms of restricting the forward flex in the stride, but for the people wanting this that is a very minor compromise

i have got a test set (which i am waiting to be returned at present) but if you have a suitable boot and want to give them a go just shout
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@CEM,

I though a significant amount of the flex in a 2 piece boot comes from the splaying of the overlap of the cuff under pressure? I've found that a booster strap ties the flex to the more rigid spine so that you have to stretch the stiff elastic of the strap before the overlap cuff gets to splay. I take your point about the medial fixing which is different but it still has certain similarities with how a 3 piece boot's tongue works (but of course that is only fixed at the toe and somewhat fixed by the middle buckle).

Thanks for the offer but all the boots are stuck in the Alps
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM wrote:
it is more akin to a better version of the driver plates we used to fit to race boots 15-20 years ago

The driver plates are still available, I have a couple of sets of recent Nordica ones.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@CEM, you recon these would work with Dynafit Titans from about 2011? I may be interested to give em a go on the Titans.. You/I modified these with an old Atomic power strap, zip fits and replaced the cuff adjustment bolt to give some more stiffness but I fancy a bit more Wink

Off topic slightly but do you do, or know of anyone doing, tech toe inserts as per what CAST do in the States? Would love to whack in tech inserts in my plug boots and be able to use them with shift binders for short skins when working on off piste courses with wider skis.

ps have sorted my tele boots out and will try to get a date shortly to come see you with MrsSkimottaret.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jedster, i significant amount of the flex does come from the upper front "leaves" of the lower shell, however an elastic strap is exactly that ELASTIC and doesn't stiffen the boot by any considerable amount... a couple of points maybe and only due to the wrap of the materials being closer to the leg but certainly no more

@rjs, yup, we have loads of them we just don't use them very often as it is old tech, they worked better on older style boots which relied on materials rather than engineering for the flex , i used them as an example, the proflex plate is a supped up modern day version which works

@skimottaret, would need to have a look at the tooth plate , i know it is factory riveted so we would need to find a suitable replacement, the prototype Proflex plates i have may or may not owrk on it
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CEM,
Quote:

@jedster, i significant amount of the flex does come from the upper front "leaves" of the lower shell, however an elastic strap is exactly that ELASTIC and doesn't stiffen the boot by any considerable amount... a couple of points maybe and only due to the wrap of the materials being closer to the leg but certainly no more

yes... actually what is going on is that you are getting the resistance early in the flex rather than getting a lot more resistance... I see that. The boots I have boosters on are quite low at the front so the booster adds a chunk of height (straps around the aftermarket intuition liner - which is taller than the shell- above the shell) which helps avoid "going over the top" IYSWIM
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon, good shout, CEM is gonna have a look at this for me in July, will report back.. My super stiff (at the time) AT boots are actually something like 105 flex according to TGR. No wonder I have always hated em...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How does the proflex work in terms of forward lean angle? Different boots will have different angles, how can this be adjusted to all models?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fedess wrote:
How does the proflex work in terms of forward lean angle? Different boots will have different angles, how can this be adjusted to all models?

it is flexible enough at the bent section where it fixes and can be heated to mold it exactly if required, most boots are in a range of between 12-15 degrees so 3 degrees is not a lot to adjust in this area
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CEM, ooeer - will they fit / work on my Salomon XPro 100's? On the verge of buying 120/130's (last seasons model) as my current boots (whilst comfy as slippers) are like skiing in slippers . . .they already have shims behind the cuff (retro-fitted by lockwoods) and booster straps but not with an angled return like this . . .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Belch wrote:
@CEM, ooeer - will they fit / work on my Salomon XPro 100's? On the verge of buying 120/130's (last seasons model) as my current boots (whilst comfy as slippers) are like skiing in slippers . . .they already have shims behind the cuff (retro-fitted by lockwoods) and booster straps but not with an angled return like this . . .

it would require drilling out the rivet which holds the buckle tooth plate in place for the second buckle, then replacing it with a screw in rivet, but pretty simple

caveat... as with all boots the placement will be marginally different on each model based on the location of that second buckle tooth plate
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy