Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2019/20 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Klamm Franzer, Agree with all of your comments. Wildkogel also has the 14km rodelbahn. Sledge hire starts at around €8.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wilkogel is worth a trip if it's warm and slushy elsewhere. Wouldn't like to be up there in bad wearher though.

That sledge track looks amazing, it was too late in the season for it when we went but you can see it marked out from the gondola up.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I notice quite a few lower or sun affected runs are closed on the Saalbach website especially down into HG

168 looks like a lovely long run seems to have been closed for much of the season which must be a huge loss for the Hecherhutte. Crying or Very sad

Hopefully the recent snow will improve things in time for my arrival next Saturday Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are arriving on Leap Day and wondering does anyone know what evening entertainment is on for the upcoming week that you would recommend?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a good anti-clockwise circuit of the main valley today (after a light dump last night). The pistes were in fantastic condition - as good as at any time this season. Air temperatures were cold, ensuring that even piste 2a (formerly 2b) was perfect in the mid-afternoon (best I’ve ever known it!)
The World Cup run on the Zwölferkogel was open - and great.
The Bergeralm and Spacey’s party at the Spitzbub didn’t disappoint.
It’s snowing again tonight so tomorrow should be good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Loads of new snow arriving. I live about an hour away from tatmanstours, we are well overdue a visit but are holding out for after the half term periods.

@Scarpa, looking forward, as always, to seeing you and kooky. Bear in mind that Spacey entertains at Spitzbub early evening on Tuesdays and Thursdays - I know how much you enjoyed his brand of apres-ski last time Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@hedley, and @martebart, It’s snowing heavily tonight, and cold temperatures are forecast - conditions should be excellent for the week to come.
For early evening entertainment, apres-ski kicks off at the Bergeralm every day from 3.30pm. Alternatively the band at the Soul House are very good indeed.
The Hinterhag Alm apres-ski party is from 4.00-7.30pm.
The Spitzbub is highly recommended, especially when Spacey is entertaining (Tuesdays and Thursdays 5.00-8.00pm)
The Off-Piste Bar is good but we’ve neglected it (can’t do everything!)
Later evening the Underbar, Crazy Deer, the Ötzi Bar (Spacey on Sundays and Wednesdays 10.00pm onwards), Castello (same excellent band as early evening at the Soul House, but late - 11.30pm).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi,
Really enjoyed our week in Saalbach this year. There was a group of 10 of us over new years. We stayed at Haus Burger. Excellent location but strange landlady. Thanks for the tips @ Tatmam. Looking ahead to next year I can't seem to get prices for accomodation from many apartments. The way Christmas falls is booking going to stay Saturday to Saturday or is Sunday to Sunday booking going to be available? Hope you all enjoy the rest of the season.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hrooney18, many apartments will have repeat bookings for the prime weeks where as you leave at the end of your stay they invite you to reserve the same week for next year, so it can be difficult some times to break into their bookings. On the flip side, many apartment owners will not start to advertise their vacancies for winter 2021 until about June as for the moment they are concentrating on filling this season's remaining slots and then on having a rest for a while and spending some of the takings.

With Christmas day being on a Friday this year, I'd expect most bookings to run Saturday to Saturday as normal. Flights on the 19th/26th Dec and 2nd Jan are really not an issue.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
which train station gets you closest to Saalbach? I'm aware that transfers from Salzburg are easy, but I'm more likely to be flying into Munich because it's much easier to do so from the US.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mr. mike, Zell am See or (even closer) Maishofen. The train journey from Munich to Zell is relatively painless (see www.oebb.at). The local bus leaves for Saalbach from outside Zell station, or a taxi will cost you around EUR 40. Maishofen is a sleepy hollow, but there's no reason why you couldn't arrange for a taxi to pick you up there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mr. mike, the closest station is Zell am See, taxi or bus (680) from there , there is also a regular shuttle bus from Munich https://www.holiday-shuttle.at/en/saalbach-hinterglemm/shuttle-service

Bus planner from Zell to Saalbach https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/

Train planner for Munich Airport to Zell, https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@radar, thanks. Good to know about that bus shuttle option. After an overnight flight, it's nice to only have to locate the bus and be done with all the logistics.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mr. mike, I did the Munich airport to Saalbach shuttle a few years ago, it was nice and easy, but it does go via Salzburg Airport- where you wait and change to the shuttle- it does make it a long day!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
. . .Just got back from my week in Saalbach yesterday and what a weird topsy turvey week it was . . .

First few days from Sat were like Spring and slopes were really heavy and covered in slushy moguls by 11am everywhere and on every run - I've skied late April (at admittedly higher altitude) and conditions were better - normally easy but long blues (2a etc) became killing fields for beginners and the steeper reds/blacks required max effort and concentration. The sheer volume of mainly Dutch punters (Dutch half term) meant the slopes were getting destroyed really quickly and to top it all on Tues it rained . . . . . .wearing my normal soft-shell spring kit I got totally soaked and had to retire to the bar early. . .not a good start.

Weds saw a change of outlook with wind later on and some sporadic lift closures however some more than welcome fresh snow meant the skiing was much more enjoyable although still skiing bumps everywhere meant the leg batteries got depleted early. A trip to Zell on Thursday was excellent, with the fresh overnight transforming the skiing everywhere (and probably less punters in this area) . .

The last day on Friday saw heavy snow overnight and a morning whiteout / high winds looked dodgy however good timing and a late morning bus to Hinterglemm meant we timed the day right for what were superb conditions. Although still busy we did get some fresh tracks on some of the itinerary reds and blacks which were fantastic . . .even the now expected pisted mogul runs back to the bottom were great as you could smash through the soft (not slushy) bumps with ease.

Looks like those arriving this week are in for a good week as the slushy base has been topped up significantly with more snow expected - lucky sods.

As ever conditions dictate either good or bad experiences for any resort - at the beginning of the week I was regretting my decision to ski late Feb (and would never ski this area again in Dutch half term) however I really enjoyed Saalbach and its variety / expansive area. Didn't manage to get over to Fieberbrunn so have def got an excuse to return . . .would probably also try to stay in Hinterglemm next time as its more centrally located and arguably a better location when chasing conditions etc.
snow report
I have lucked in, having picked this week. The snow is lovely and there are not many people around. Dutch half term week is complete bun fight. Next year it coincides with fasching and UK school holidays. It will be carnage. I reckon Saalbach is a better location than hinterglemm as it's easier to get back to in the afternoon from just about anywhere on the mountain. It has been a really peculiar season for weather this year. Definitely give it another go.
latest report
@Belch, I was under the impression that last week wasn’t the Dutch half term (which I thought was the week before - same as U.K. half term). However last week was certainly Fasching week, when half of Europe gives itself a holiday. It was the worst week for crowds since New Year week.
The especially busy and child-infested weeks during February have been the week beginning 8th (Salzburgerland half term) and last week (Fasching). The U.K. half term week wasn’t too bad.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, Looking at the euro school holidays calendar I think both weeks apply - my bro (who lives in Holland) was over in the UK with his kids last week . . .also the sheer weight of Dutch families (and Fasching which was also last week) they must have split half terms in differing regions - other than the guests in the chalet I only heard 2-3 native English voices on the gondolas/lifts all week . . it was rammed.

@Klamm Franzer, Get your point re Saalbach however thought Hinterglemm was prettier and the immediate / adjacent slopes more varied. To access Zell the Saalbach end is obvs closer however the bus service is solid (caught the 680 a couple of times) and arguably easier for speed / direct access. Will def return . . .but I'll be watching the holiday calendar / snow reports more closely next time
snow conditions
Bit of advice please.

I’m in Saalbach 7 -11th March. During our stay one of our group is celebrating a significant birthday.

Any recommendations please for a big blow out celebratory on mountain lunch, maybe something a bit more upmarket with a nice sunny terrace.
(weather dependent of course)

If the weather doesn’t play ball how about something similar in Saalbach village one evening. .

TIA
snow report
@hedley, @tatmanstours, has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the Mountain restaurants and has provided us with some great recommendations.

In town I would suggest Seppi's fabulous steak, if you are foodies then also the Tiroler Buam a bit out of town but great food. Someone suggested the hotel Kendler to us but we haven't tried it.

On the mountain Wiseralm, Hendl Fischerei, Montana Royal spring to mind as being a bit more upmarket. all of which we have sampled and enjoyed

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 2-03-20 20:18; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
hedley wrote:
Bit of advice please.

I’m in Saalbach 7 -11th March. During our stay one of our group is celebrating a significant birthday.

Any recommendations please for a big blow out celebratory on mountain lunch, maybe something a bit more upmarket with a nice sunny terrace.
(weather dependent of course)

If the weather doesn’t play ball how about something similar in Saalbach village one evening. .

TIA

You'll get loads of suggestions, but IMO if you are looking for traditional on-mountain, with a bit of style in terms of the cooking (if not the menu,although there are some specialities) then the WieserAlm adjacent to the top of the Reiterkogel gondola in Hinterglemm would be near the top of my list. It has a huge south facing terrace and is definitely near the top of the market.
snow report
@hedley,

Only have a weeks experience but would say the Hendl Fischerei had the coolest vibe - don't know your numbers but you can book the whole upper section and admire the timber frame / views!

Asitz Bräu also worth a look - its mahoosive and has a 'curated' museum type feel. The food is no where near as good but the toilets are well worth a visit - you can view people using the urinals from the outside if you time it right and give them a wave / laugh at their general demeanour !
snow conditions
Struggling to find decent apres this week so far.....?
We’ve tried Bergeralm and Goabstall and were a bit disappointed with both
Not on par with Mayrhofen

Any suggestions?
snow report
@snowscreen, the Bergeralm isn’t really an apres venue, although it’s a great place to end the afternoon and have a couple of drinks and say hello to people, before moving on to the real apres-ski places.
The Goassstall has IMHO gone downhill. To me it feels like standing in a football crowd , listening to music I’d rather not listen to, and without any football to watch. Shame, it used to be great.
For good apres, Spacey in the Ötzi Bar on Sunday (sorry, too late) and Wednesday 10.00pm onwards.
Also Spacey’s early evening (Tuesdays and Thursdays 5.00-8.00pm) party at Spitzbub is unmissable.
Every evening you have the Hinterhag Alm (4.00-7.30pm), which has always been Saalbach’s premier apres-ski venue.
The Soul House has a really great band playing from around 4.00pm - well worth a visit.
Later in the evening you can’t go wrong with the Underbar and the Off-Piste Bar for live entertainment, although the Crazy Deer and Spitzbub can also be great fun.
latest report
@snowscreen, get to the Hinterhag Alm, that's where it's happening, it's great fun! I never liked the Bergeralm. Goassstall was great the first year we went, then not so much the next time. The music had gone shyte.

@tatmanstours, has been raving about Spacey and the Spitzbub for so long, I'm trying to make plans to get to Saalbach next year and find out for myself.
latest report
Maybe we were lucky, but our visit to Goabstall twice week beginning 7th Feb was mighty craic! We also had a great time at Bauer's Schi-Alm in Saalbach (excellent live band outside and Europop dancing inside), it is opposite the Spitzbub (which was very quiet when we passed!). Apre for us 4pm - 8ish.
ski holidays
@hedley, For a celebratory mountain lunch, with an upmarket atmosphere and great views, my first choice would always be the Hecherhuette. However piste 168 , which leads down to it, is currently closed. That means you either ski down a closed piste (which we did on Boxing Day and found it groomed as far as the Hecherhuette) or you get a taxi up there (40 euros from Saalbach if booked through the Hecherhuette). A taxi back to Saalbach, after a superb meal and obligatory apres-ski party, is again 40 euros.
The other possibilities are the Hendl Fischerei (Chicken Man) at Leogang - never fails to impress.
The Montana Royal Alpin Club, on the summit of the Kohlmais mountain overlooking Saalbach.
The Westernstadl, halfway up the Bernkogel mountain.
The Reiteralm/Wieseralm/Sonnalm - all on the Reiterkogel.
The Sonnhof at Hochalm
If the weather is inclement and the celebration is postponed until the evening, I would probably choose the Hungry Deer, the Soul House, or the Schattberg Stub’n.
snow report
@tatmanstours, thanks again to everyone.

Looks like a nice couple of top ups to come before the weekend so we maybe lucky with the conditions.

168 What is the problem ,do you know?

It looks to have been closed for pretty much all of the season.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hedley, 168 has no snowmaking, is south-facing, and ends in the valley at 950m away from any lifts. The lift company do not see it as a priority, and little effort is expended to keep it open unless it has a good base and the forecast suggests that it will remain open for several weeks. As this season has not been one of the better ones, it has no cover on the lower slopes.
ski holidays
Quote:

ends in the valley at 950m away from any lifts.

@ousekjarr, we had wondered whether the lift company’s attitude might change, now that it leads directly to the Zell am See Xpress. Apparently not. However everyone seems to be expecting big changes in the next two or three years, with the anticipated construction of a new reservoir, the installation of snow cannons on piste 168, and the construction of a new gondola from Viehhofen to the Schönleiten area.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, assuming the expanded lift pass works in the same way as others I’ve seen, the revenue from pass sales is divided between the different constituent areas based on usage, so if someone stays in the Glemmtal all week then Zell gets none of the pass income. If they use lifts in Zell, then the Zell company gets some cash.

On that basis, adding a lift up piste 168 and adding snowmaking will probably mean that the Glemmtal company will maybe get less income because it makes it easier for people to visit Zell (though it also allows people in Zell to visit the Glemmtal but maybe not in the same numbers), but it does allow them to claim a larger connected area.

On a day visit a couple of weeks ago, I was reminded again why I’d not been back to Zell for a while, and friends recently have commented that they visited Zell but turned round and came straight back because it was too busy and the piste conditions were poor...
snow report
It is nicer this week. More snow, fewer people (and almost nobody from 3pm onwards). However, only done a half day and an afternoon in Zell so far. Hochkonig was a complete joy today. Great new snow and quiet slopes. Helmut is missing your beard though....
snow report
@Klamm Franzer, I’ll pop it in the post to him if he’s that desperate...
ski holidays
@ousekjarr, My first visit to the Zell ski area was postponed by injury until the week before last. I was pleasantly surprised by the extent of the skiing, although I didn’t go all the way to the bottom, and there were annoying queues for the Areitbahn II.
Your theory that the Glemmtal lift company isn’t exactly falling over itself to keep piste 168 open, as it would encourage skiers to go over to Zell, thereby enriching Zell at the expense of Saalbach, is at least consistent with the lack of any fanfare or extensive publicity about the new link.
However I had always assumed that more people would be incentivised to come over to the Ski Circus from Zell than vice versa - for obvious reasons. Keeping piste 168 open would at least give such visitors a nice run back to the Zell am See Xpress, without the necessity to resort to the ski bus. However perhaps they’ve calculated that it would encourage more people from Saalbach side to take a trip to Zell than the other way round.
ski holidays
What a difference a day makes! After several busy weeks, and last week the Fasching holiday crowds it suddenly went blissfully quiet today - empty pistes, no hint of a queue anywhere, pistes in good condition. It was quite a contrast.
A dump is forecast for tonight. Could be a good week.
snow report
Looking forwards to getting back next week after our baking hot week in Jan, hopefully we can meet up for a beer Taty.
latest report
@snowscreen, schwartzacher near the Ubahn in hinterglemm is our favourite. At the foot of the night skiing slopes. DJ is an absolute hoot and plays the best apres tunes around. The kaiserschmarrn is also amazing if you need a wee snack to share
ski holidays
Fieberbrunn - rained all night which hopefully was snow higher up.
Turned to snow by daylight and hasn't stopped - big flakes. About 1cm lying so far..
ski holidays
Wet snow from the bottom of the Schonleitenbahn. About 6" has fallen mid way up the Kohlmaisbahn and it's snowing heavily. Good visibility at the moment higher up!
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, Do you know which hotel the quarantine is going on in?

https://www.salzburg24.at/news/salzburg/pinzgau/coronavirus-vierter-fall-der-lungenkrankheit-in-salzburg-84413305

"On Thursday afternoon, the State Medical Directorate confirmed the fourth case of coronavirus in the state of Salzburg. A man in Saalbach-Hinterglemm (Pinzgau) tested positive for the disease, it said in a broadcast.

Feedback Comment
Saalbach-Hinterglemm
It is a 61-year-old British who is on vacation in Saalbach-Hinterglemm. The man and his nine travel companions are in quarantine at the hotel. The State of Salzburg reports that the health authority started working on site immediately after confirmation.

Tour group in Saalbach-Hinterglemm in quarantine
“Of course it's not an easy situation, I can honestly say that. But our team is very experienced, ”says district captain Bernhard Gratz, who is in Saalbach-Hinterglemm with his staff. The 61-year-old Briton is in quarantine in his hotel room, the smear was taken yesterday by a mobile team from the Red Cross. Potential contact persons and the entire environment have been surveyed since the positive test result became known . From the current perspective, it is a tour group with nine members. None of them - except the man who tested positive - has symptoms.

More information will follow tonight or tomorrow morning as soon as the health agency's work is complete.

Coronavirus in Salzburg: Four tests are still ongoing"
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy