Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2019/20 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Points card def available - a family we met at the theresia this Christmas we’re using them. Good for beginnings using the small lifts but punishing if you go on one of the bubbles.

That's good to hear (I won't have to amend my guide). I wonder why they no longer put the relevant information on the piste map.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Rowlski, as others have said the World Cup Piste is an often overlooked run. The top section does have some steep sections, with the steepest just before the middle station. The lower section flows nicely all the way to the bottom station. They do “ice” the piste when preparing for a race, it does remain hard for quite some time after! make sure you have sharp edges!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Points card def available - a family we met at the theresia this Christmas we’re using them. Good for beginnings using the small lifts but punishing if you go on one of the bubbles.

That's good to hear (I won't have to amend my guide). I wonder why they no longer put the relevant information on the piste map.

When I was in Hinterglemm in January I saw a sign on the kiosk of the Bergfriedlift T-bar offering a “points” card for beginner lifts. I didn’t look closely, but I wonder if it is only for the lifts in the beginner areas. Perhaps a Snowhead in Resort could clarify this. If not I’ll try and find out when I’m back on the 22nd.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Bus from Saalbach to Zell am See. Train from Zell to Leogang. Could leave Saalbach at 10.30am and arrive at the Steinberger lift in Leogang at 12.00.

with a bit of a walk between Leogang station and the Steinbergbahn (in both directions).

Agreed. Could also get the 10.30am bus from Saalbach to Maishofen. Then 10.57am bus from Maishofen to Saalfelden, followed by the 11.10am bus from Saalfelden to the
Asitzbahn valley station, arriving 11.38am.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi guys. Anyone know what Saalbach is like late season? I went a few times a few years back but in Jan and would love to go back. My son is off school Mar 28th for a week and wondered if it might be an option or if, as I suspect, the snow might not be great.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Boofont, As usual with spring weather, impossible to predict whether it will be cold and wintry (as it sometimes is) or mild and sunny.
If the latter, the norm is for the pistes to freeze overnight and be very enjoyable to ski during the morning. In the afternoon the south-facing slopes, especially low down, tend to get mushy, but we usually find good skiing at Leogang, Fieberbrunn and the north/west facing slopes of Zwölferkogel and Schattberg.
We have never been unable to ski back to the village (and our front door) in late March - the snow may lack quality but not quantity.
It is certainly not unusual to experience what the locals call “millionaires’ conditions” in late March and early April - fresh snow and relatively empty pistes.
I know that a lot of people are coming for Easter skiing on 4th April.
It’s worth bearing in mind that the lift pass this year includes the Kitzsteinhorn glacier at Kaprun, which is only a 25 minute drive from Saalbach. You can also get there on skis, by going via Zell am See and taking the ski bus from Schuttdorf. Conditions on the glacier are usually excellent in late season. However that can be regarded as a reassuring safety net, in case conditions in Saalbach are not so good. However in late March we have never found it necessary to resort to the glacier. I’ve been up there in the second week of April and it was an enjoyable day out.
If it interests you, I happen to know of a nice, ski-in ski-out apartment, in an unbeatable location, which is available for the W/c 28th March. PM if you would like details.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Folks

Does anyone have suggestions for a venue in Hinterglemm that will be showing the 6 Nations Rugby this Saturday?

Cheers

A
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Yorksboy, by the time I get there it may be a slush fest, going end of March but look forward to giving it a go.

@tatmanstours or others out there, how's it gone today, looked like it was pishing it down lower down the mountain and village level? Still looks like whatever damage has been done will be remedied by lots of snow due the next two days, fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

@tatmanstours or others out there, how's it gone today, looked like it was pishing it down lower down the mountain and village level? Still looks like whatever damage has been done will be remedied by lots of snow due the next two days, fingers crossed.

@Rowlski, The above is a fair summary, although a friend reported that there was lots of new snow at the top. I gave myself a day off. Tomorrow should be "interesting".
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@alantherope, I can't think of anywhere in Hinterglemm which is likely to be showing the rugby, so your best bet will be the Crazy Deer in Saalbach. Probably about €15 each way by taxi depending on where in Hinterglemm you are
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There’s a night bus too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I can't think of anywhere in Hinterglemm which is likely to be showing the rugby, so your best bet will be the Crazy Deer in Saalbach. Probably about €15 each way by taxi depending on where in Hinterglemm you are

Yes, the Crazy Deer will undoubtedly be showing it, but also the Spitzbub.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for that, looks like Saalbach it is Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Graham Bell reporting on the Saalbach-Hinterglemm World Championship pistes - and making it look very easy!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/graham-bell-favourite-ski-run-saalbach-austria/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tatmanstours, he was there for the RAF races a couple of weeks ago so presume that’s when he shot that video as well.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, yes, he seems to have followed the women's course for that reason.
ski holidays
Is saalbach open today?

I am in maria Alm and everything closed bar 2 t bars on Natrun
snow conditions
robandliza wrote:
Is saalbach open today?

I am in maria Alm and everything closed bar 2 t bars on Natrun

Bergfex is saying 23 of the 70 Lifts are open (mainly T-bars)
https://www.bergfex.at/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/schneebericht/

and 58 slopes
https://www.saalbach.com/en/live-info/lifts-and-pistes?type=pisten

The links between the resorts are closed though.

Looks like Hinterglem has the most lifts open.
https://www.saalbach.com/de/winter/skigebiet/pistenplan

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 4-02-20 9:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Looking forward to a lazy day and then the apres-ski! (Spacey is entertaining at the Spitzbub early evening - 5.00-8.00pm)
ski holidays
Lifts are now very limited, Kohlmais being unloaded when I looked at the cams, and a banner gives a list of about 10 lifts which will remain open of which the highest looks to be the Westgipfelbahn I
ski holidays
@tatmantours, I emailed the lift company and have got the points update. Not the answer I wanted but impressed by quick response to an email I sent with not a word of a German in it!

Top line is no longer in Saalbach, Hinterglemm only;

“thank you for your kind E-Mail
and your interest in the skicircus Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn.
For the beginner lifts in Hinterglemm we offer a “Sternenkarte“ (star card).
This card is valid at the following lifts:

U-Bahn 86 Sterne/ stars per ride
Zwölfer Express 33 Sterne/ stars per ride
Bergfriedlift 28 Sterne/ stars per ride
Mitteregglift 28 Sterne/ stars per ride
Funparklift 13 Sterne/ stars per ride
Oberschwarzachlifte 13 Sterne/ stars per ride
Wieshoflift 9 Sterne/ stars per ride

Price:
Adult: 150 Sterne/ stars: Euro 15,00 300 Sterne/ stars: Euro 30,00

We do not offer any other point cards anymore. “
ski holidays
@ribblevalleyblue, Thanks. I wonder why the lift company has formulated this policy. Might be worth some slow-progressing beginners buying a points card; however a couple of rides on the gondolas that go to the top used to blow a big hole in the points, which is presumably why they’ve now confined it to the beginner/shorter lifts.
ski holidays
@tatmantours, agree and for my wife’s needs with young boy in tow, the ability to just go up and down Turm lift is all that’s needed. With the expanding area then I guess the weekly pass which is expensive, does now give more value with so many km’s, but makes it ridiculously costly for those in the beginner/no desire or need to go up the mountain category. It is going to force me to either go to Hinterglemm or more likely her just not bother skiing as it’s €46 for a half day pass. If I am reading it right she will have to pay €26 for a single trip up Kohlmais lift to go up for lunch at Montana Royal, albeit not entirely sure if that gets you back down again on the gondola. Do you know if there is a rate for going up on foot and back again. I see a winter hikers rate of €89 for 7 days inc 2 rides per day, but she will want 2 for the week not per day!
latest report
We are at last coming to Saalbach for the first time early March. One of our group a confident intermediate is looking for private lesson for 2 to 3 hours to tune up his technique. Any local recommendations?
snow report
@hedley, I’ll send you a P.M. with a recommendation and contact information.
latest report
@ribblevalleyblue, The ticket gets you up and down. They are a little expensive.
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@hedley, I’ll send you a P.M. with a recommendation and contact information.

Thankyou Very Happy
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
Graham Bell reporting on the Saalbach-Hinterglemm World Championship pistes - and making it look very easy!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/graham-bell-favourite-ski-run-saalbach-austria/

Paywalled. I used to subscribe to the Telegraph (until a couple of years ago), but cancelled as I rather disagreed with its views on Brexit (and even worse, some of the repugnant columnists it employs) - given what you put on FB I am surprised you still subscribe!?

Maybe it's for the sport Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I am surprised you still subscribe!?

@buchanan101, I don't! It just appeared on my FB feed.
Coincidentally we encountered Graham Bell coming out of the 12er Treff bar on the summit of the Zwölferkogel yesterday.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 7-02-20 22:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Folks

Any recommendations for great terrace for lunch this Sunday as it looks like it will be sunny, and cozy indoor venues for the rest of the week, the forecast suggests indoor lunching will be required.

Much appreciated
snow report
@alantherope, depends what you like - the Montana Royal is upmarket, the far side of the Asitzbrau has good views but is fairly densely packed and large, the Rosswaldhutte has table service at one end and has a more intimate feel as long as you don't stray into the self-service side, the Ellmaualm has one of the best views in the valley but can be very busy, and so on... there are very few which I would avoid - take a look at https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g608663-Saalbach_Hinterglemm_Austrian_Alps.html and see what others have said.
latest report
Thanks for that. Sounds like it is hard go go wrong anywhere. Really like stumbling across cozy rustic spots with a bit of character on poor days but as Sunday looks by far the best day thought there might be a "go to" place to enjoy the sun and views
ski holidays
@alantherope, the Hecherhuette - a no-brainer, now that piste 168 is finally open.

Failing that, I would recommend the following for food and views:
The Hendl Fischerei (Chicken Man) and Forsthofalm at Leogang
The Bergeralm on Kohlmais
The Westernstadl on Bernkogel
The Reiteralm, Wieseralm and Pfefferalm on Reiterkogel
The Sonnhof at Hochalm
The Winkleralm and Hintermaisalm on Zwölferkogel
The Gerstreitalm and Westgipfelhuette on Schattberg (West)
The Wildalpgatterl and Hochhoerndlhuette at Fieberbrunn
snow report
Fantastic, Hecherhuette it is for SundAY. Appreciate the advice:)
snow conditions
Any word on the wellbeing of the driver of the snow plough that ended up upside down in the river near Hinterglemm on wednesday?
snow report
What's going on!? Remarkably quiet for this thread...

How's it looking on the ground out there, dreaded rain forecast at resort level and up a few up hundred metres, hopefully all turned to snow now without doing too much damage?
latest report
@Rowlski, Fantastic ski down from the Bergeralm this evening - champagne powder.
Then Spacey at Spitzbub - great apres!
latest report
@tatmanstours, hooray! Glad to hear it, sounds like you're having fun.

Did the snow get down to the village or mizzley rain? I wish I was out there now but still a good while to wait Very Happy
snow report
@Rowlski, Snow all the way down to village level - superb!
snow report
This Saalbach thread is usually so active, no posts since Tuesday, must be really good skiing and everyone is too busy to post ?.

I’m back next weekend for a couple of weeks - what’s the situation with the Hechethutte run (168)? I’ve only seen it officially open for a day so far. Is it skiable?

I’m staying in Saalbach for the first week then moving up to Hinterglemm. What’s the live music schedule for this week? Who’s playing where?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy