Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2019/20 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, first of all thank you for the vast array of information in this thread! I'm sure it's going to help with a huge number of tasks for our first trip to Saalbach.

My friends and I are looking for a guide to take us off-piste for a day in early March. We are varying levels, with one comptitent with avalanche gear, and the others good skiers but with no experience of "proper" off-piste. Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Sheddy, I've heard good things about Freeride Ski School, but not used them since I'm an old guy. http://www.freeride-skischool.at/en/freeride
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been snowing fairly heavily in Saalbach/Zell for a couple of hours now. The new Zell link was closed (seemingly at the slightest breath...) and the buses all full so we had to get a taxi back, a bit frustrating but really enjoyed the day in Saalbach, will head back over for the rest of the week I think.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Sheddy, It might also be worth talking to Kris Dragoshinov of Zink Ski & Snowboard School. I've heard that he does off-piste guiding, and he's a very helpful guy. I'll PM you his number. Tell him that I recommended him to you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Sheddy, try contacting www.skill.at, they offer guiding. Email them with your requirements, mention my name.

John Coe
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowing down buckets today mad winds at 1400 gusting 50~80 kmph
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@flymoll, hurrah they needed a good storm before the busy February period started. Shame if the lifts are shut because of the wind though
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone on the ground picking up on the news that the FIS World Cup might be coming to Hinterglemm in February after the Chinese race was cancelled due to corona virus? I've seen it mentioned on the Inside Saalbach FB page, but from what I can discern reading the local news websites (my German is a bit ropey), it's not yet confirmed.

One source suggested that it might be the downhill on the 13th and the GS on the 14th, which would be the last two days of our annual visit, and on the one hand I'd quite like to see top class ski racing, whilst on the other I'd quite like to have a nice quiet week...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From the webcams the snow looks good, what's the word on the ground?

Hoping the rain in the forecast doesn't materialise but more snow coming after it by the looks of the forecasts Toofy Grin

@tatmanstours, are you back on your planks yet?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's on! The Alpine Ski World cup comes back to Saalbach! On February 13th and 14th, AUDI Ski World cup Men's Downhill and Super G will be held on the legendary Zwölferkogel Worldcup track.
Will be there that week as well and looking forward to it, never seen a downhill or Super G Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Rowlski, We had a good overnight dump, which delivered powder conditions this morning. When I staggered out late morning it felt unusually warm for January, but it seemed to get noticeably colder during the day. Over at Leogang the pistes were powdery all the way to the valley bottom, thanks to an inversion that kept the lower slopes in the mist. Many of the pistes were a mogul fest in the afternoon, which is to be expected. Beautiful weather and scenery, especially at Leogang where all the trees on north-facing slopes were heavily laden with snow.
Yes, back on the planks and trying not to ski defensively and recover the speed and (misplaced) confidence that I had before my tumble.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
With the super G & downhill on, will many of the slopes be closed or just a few over in Hinterglemm at the time?

I love watching the downhill on tv but unless I’m looking for a day off i’d rather be skiing myself than watching it.

I was planning on doing “the challenge” while over there. Will part of the route be closed for most of the week in preparation for this?

Will slopes out in Leogang etc... be dead quiet during the WC?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@colly10, I assume that the only pistes that will be unavailable to the hoi poloi will be the World Cup black run from the top of the Zwölferkogel, and the WC red run from the mid-station. It shouldn’t otherwise affect those who aren’t interested in watching the racing, except that yes, it should pull a few people off the pistes and make them a bit quieter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tatmanstours, thanks, that’s a relief
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Go and see the downhill of you are in the area. I suspect that there won't be big crowds as it is a reschedule. The course is properly steep at the top with a 140kph tuck above the mid station leading to an off-camber jump and a technical finish.

Best of all, you can ski the course for the rest of the season (unlike the streif) because they piste it properly did everyone to appreciate!
snow report
@colly10, I was in Hinterglemm in December 2018 when a World Cup slalom was rescheduled from Solden. It was only the bottom section of the worldcup run on the 12er that was closed. Because the rescheduled race was on a week day it wasn’t very busy with crowds and it was quite easy to get to the edge of the run to watch a few o& the runners. The gondola was running normally.
These 2 rescheduled races are on weekdays, I wouldn’t expect it to be much busier in the area than it already is mid February. The actual course will be the only Piste closed to the public. So if you want to watch there should be some good opportunities, if you want to get on with your skiing I don’t think you’ll notice any great disruption. I’m back in the area a week after the races, so will miss it all Puzzled
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, thanks for the update, the webcams did look great and glad to hear you're back out there again.

Maybe don't do the downhill course too enthusiastically as part of your rehab Wink

@colly10, I think it would be great to catch a bit of the downhill. Never been to a race live but would love to see it to get a feel for the speed they're going at.
ski holidays
Can anyone say if H6 (the short tow in the village) normally runs in March?
snow report
@JimboS, can’t see any reason why it shouldn’t, provided that there is snow on the Kreuzkapelle nursery slope (which it serves), and there normally is.
latest report
Great, that will save walking up the hill.
snow conditions
@colly10, https://www.saalbach.com/skiworldcup confirmation of @tatmanstours, view that pistes aren’t affected
snow report
Any bars in Saalbach do the Hammerschlagen?
snow conditions
Thanks Radar
latest report
hedley wrote:

The Underbar did last time I was in there
snow report
When doing the challenge, do you check that all lifts are open before you set out in the morning?
I assume it’s judged on lifts and if one lift on the route is closed it can’t be done that day?

If a piste on the route is closed do you just find some way to reach the next lift?
snow report
Quote:

Nageln? Most do.
snow report
Just googled Hammerschlagen and now want a go! Smile

Back to the World Cup downhill race and run, when not iced up for the race itself how hard a piste is it? Wondering whether I should try when I'm there... I'm an reasonable intermediate and comfortable on non vicious blacks and preferably when they're not too narrow!
snow conditions
It is definitely not narrow but it is very steep in places. It looks quite benign on the telly, especially below the mid-station, but skiing it gives a really good idea of how unhinged downhillers really are! There are plenty of bail outs, so give it a go if it isn't closed off.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Klamm Franzer, tempted then if my ski legs are feeling good / confident then.

Looking forward to seeing it on TV.
snow conditions
Hi all

Does anyone how complicated and how long does it take by bus from Saalbach to Leogang?

Wife and 4 year old son will not be able to ski over next month when we visit, but really fancy taking them up to the chicken man, so gondola up is the only option

Thanks
ski holidays
Quote:

Back to the World Cup downhill race and run, when not iced up for the race itself how hard a piste is it? Wondering whether I should try when I'm there... I'm an reasonable intermediate and comfortable on non vicious blacks and preferably when they're not too narrow!

The lower half of the World Cup run, from the Zwölferkogelbahn mid-station, is one of my favourite runs - the snow is usually good, and for some reason it gets overlooked by the crowds.
latest report
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
Hi all

Does anyone how complicated and how long does it take by bus from Saalbach to Leogang?

Wife and 4 year old son will not be able to ski over next month when we visit, but really fancy taking them up to the chicken man, so gondola up is the only option

Thanks

its not straightforward and would take approx 2 hours plus the lift at best ,due to there being no direct bus .A taxi would be almost if not more than a transfer from the airport( taxis are hideously expensive ,they are the only negative in the area imo)Im well aware that im in a minority on here but it wouldnt be my go too place . Trying to meet up with fellow travellers without one or the other wasting time is fraught with problems .When we went with grandkids @ 4 yrs it was easy and simple to arrange to meet for lunch at the top of the main lifts out of saalbach i.e mum /granny or whoever with kids experienced the on mountain lunch and gondola trip plus those skiing didnt use up time waiting either to set off meet or return,10 minutes either way wasnt an issue but with bus connections to make its a different matter .
snow report
@ribblevalleyblue, I’m inclined to agree with @ski for fun, If hiring a car, fair enough, but, if not, I would rather spend money on visiting the Hecherhuette. Also the Montana Royal Alpin Club, the Luis Alm, the Rachkuechle, the Wildenkarhuette, the Westgipfelhuette, the Winkler Alm, the Wieseralm and the Sonnhof are all worthwhile possibilities.
latest report
@Rowlski, the top section is pretty steep and there’s also a short section about a quarter of the way down which is also harder than most where it gets to about 30-35 degrees and tends to be icy. As most of the run is north-facing, it’s seldom soft.

It’s one of my favourite runs. If you have any doubts, the red runs parallel to it on the top half and then they merge from the mid station, so you can do parts of it before tackling all of it. The gondola also gives a good view of the top section so you know what to expect
snow report
@tatmantours, @ski for fun, thought as much, oh well next year.

@tatmantours, Montana Royal is a definite, don't think I have been to a couple of others you mention so will explore those further

On a separate point, I can’t see any point getting a ski pass for the better half as she will only do the odd morning around Kohlmais (if our son actually enjoys the Bobo ski school) and most likely potter around the nursery slope and use H3 chair. Hopefully the 3 of us can do a few turns in the afternoon in same bit.

Is there a pass (points card) you can get for her to just utilise a few basic uplifts on that chair?

This is going to be a completely different visit to Saalbach for me and the most costly !!
snow report
Quote:

Is there a pass (points card) you can get for her to just utilise a few basic uplifts on that chair?

@ribblevalleyblue, In previous seasons that kind of pass was on offer - EUR 100 for 1,000 points. However there is now no mention of it, either on the website or the piste map (previously the piste map indicated how many points each lift was worth). I infer therefore that a "points card" is no longer on offer. Perhaps they decided it wasn't worth continuing with it. It was only ever worthwhile for someone who spent their time on the nursery slope - a few trips on the other lifts soon wiped out the points. Obviously I can ask next time I go out.
ski holidays
Thanks @tatmantours, if you could ask much appreciated
snow report
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
Hi all

Thanks

Bus from Saalbach to Zell am See. Train from Zell to Leogang. Could leave Saalbach at 10.30am and arrive at the Steinberger lift in Leogang at 12.00.
latest report
Points card def available - a family we met at the theresia this Christmas we’re using them. Good for beginnings using the small lifts but punishing if you go on one of the bubbles.
ski holidays
Quote:

Bus from Saalbach to Zell am See. Train from Zell to Leogang. Could leave Saalbach at 10.30am and arrive at the Steinberger lift in Leogang at 12.00.

with a bit of a walk between Leogang station and the Steinbergbahn (in both directions).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy