Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2019/20 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone advise? Thinking here for new year 20/21. I’ve just had a promo email from hotel Theresa (asking for a friend, she needs a spa and the service). Any good? Close to slopes and centre and stuff?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Debra, lovely Hotel there is no doubt, but definitely not the best location, on the outskirts of Hinterglemm, so options of a couple of drag lifts/learner slopes nearby but bit of a trek to access the gondolas in Hinterglemm, although the ski bus stop is outside the hotel. Saalbach is definitely a bus ride away! If you want convenience then probably not for you - which is a shame because as i say a lovely Hotel
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Debra, as @summerseat says the location isn't the best, but it isn't a disaster either as you have some options if you are happy to walk occasionally, or take a taxi at night if you want to stay out later. The T-bar opposite will get you to the U-bahn area and Westgipfel lift, or you can take the bus towards the centre of Hinterglemm and then walk 150m to the Reiterkogel gondola. Note that the bus doesn't go all the way in, stopping next to the Bergfriedlift T-bar on the edge of the village, and then going through the tunnel to the Zwolferkogel gondola, so you'd have to be happy with walking.

In good conditions there is a ski route/run (red 77) which comes down almost directly to the Hotel Theresia so you could ski back.

In the opposite direction, you can get the bus to the Schattberg Express or Schonleitenbahn, but again the Turmweise slope is a walk away so this also has limits.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi guys!
Which is the best on mountain apres-ski in the area?
I'm skiing alone but my hotel is in Hinterglemm, so as long as I can ski down somewhere and take a bus there, it's all good Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stayed at the Theresia a couple of years ago...
Lovely hotel, 10 minute walk to the flashpots of Hinterglemm. Spa is split into family clothed and adult keine kleider areas...
Can wal across the road then drag lift up and it's a couple of minutes ski from there to ubahn westgipfel etc...
At Salzburg on the way home now!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Debra, just to add my thoughts on the Theresa - whilst on the out skirts of Hinterglemm it sis really easy to get access to the whole area - the ski bus stop is directly outside, just across the road you can get into the skicircus very a couple of drag lifts. You can ski back to the hotel carpark. Also just opposite is the best ski school and ski hire in the whole area. (www.skill.at).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Debra, I really like it. Great food and spa. Little bit out of the way, but as others have said not in way a problem.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arrived in Saalbach today (1st visit). Must be warmest place I've ever been in January!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@malarkey99, ...and yet on Thursday evening everyone was saying how cold it felt - all huddled together for warmth in the Spitzbub. Cold weather later this week, so make the most of the balmy temperatures.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the week has just flown by now home with another memorable visit to treasure. Our last ski day friday skied round the circuit just missed fieberbrun as went there thursday, A highlight was the red down from the left hand side of sunliner 85 totally empty of folks and in perfect groomed conditions about 11.am.On the way back even 2 from the top of shattberg was fine as often the bottom bit gets a bit mogully late afternoon ,then on our way to bergeralm found another empty piste 157 before going up magic for a great finish down the red 159 on the right and home via a couple of pitstops just in time for dinner,
I reckon considering the lack of snowfall lately the pisteurs have done a wonderful job keeping the pistes in such good conditions as we never came upon any overly worn brown bits.We did go over to zell for the day, im not sure it adds anything to saalbach other than an away day it seemed crowded and the restaurant we went to was a tad pricey for lunch in comparison over 40e for 2 as against 30-35e in saalbach on average.The folks I met who where staying in zell and had been across earlier said that next year they would be looking at saalbach so my thoughts are we will have to book earlier . Now got to hope for some more snow and see if we can get out again even for a few days before the season ends as at my age ive not got that many more active ski hols left though I will have to have a dry feb to allow my liver to recover as our apres was great fun and we had a ball
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back after a fantastic week in Saalbach, fresh snow and tracks last weekend then 5 days without a cloud in the sky. The only sour note that spoiled the last evening was one of our party having his coat and backpack containing gloves, goggles, apple ear pods etc stolen from Bauer´s Schi-Alm. So worth giving that place a miss, much better apri can be had at the Soul House, it had great bands on every night.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Bauer´s Schi-Alm. So worth giving that place a miss,

Only 100m down the road from us, but we hardly ever go there. We favour the Spitzbub (but, as you say, the early evening band at the Soul House (who also play late evening at Castello), are really excellent.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Bauer´s Schi-Alm. So worth giving that place a miss,

Only 100m down the road from us, but we hardly ever go there. We favour the Spitzbub (but, as you say, the early evening band at the Soul House (who also play late evening at Castello), are really excellent.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JimboS, Normally really enjoy Bauer's, but was spoiled on a visit last week by a group of 4 Danish blokes, chucking their drinks and ice everywhere, pouring their rum into other people's drinks and generally acting like knobs, resulting in a space appearing around them, as people avoided them (I guess being Danish is not an important factor - we all have 'em).

The disappointment was that no-one from Bauer's seemed to care a jot for the enjoyment of everyone else.

Am I getting old?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Big thanks to Mr Tatmam for his rough guide, we went to three of four of the restaurants he recommends which were all great. One day we didn't book anything and ended up straying from his recommendations and regretted it. Never go to the La Trattoria near the town centre, the food and service is terrible.
snow report
NickYoung wrote:
@JimboS, Normally really enjoy Bauer's, but was spoiled on a visit last week by a group of 4 Danish blokes, chucking their drinks and ice everywhere, pouring their rum into other people's drinks and generally acting like knobs, resulting in a space appearing around them, as people avoided them (I guess being Danish is not an important factor - we all have 'em).

The disappointment was that no-one from Bauer's seemed to care a jot for the enjoyment of everyone else.

Am I getting old?

No they were knobs
ski holidays
AndreSilva wrote:
Hi guys!
Which is the best on mountain apres-ski in the area?
I'm skiing alone but my hotel is in Hinterglemm, so as long as I can ski down somewhere and take a bus there, it's all good Very Happy

The Goasstall is fun!
Its a couple of hundred metres up the piste the Reiterkogelbahn gondola in the centre of Hinterglemm. You should be able to see it easily enough, the slopes below are lit up by blue lights and there's a lot of pink flashing neons lights at the place itself. Peak apres there is 4-7pm.

If you want to deposit your equipment back at your Hotel first, you can walk up easily enough by following the road up alongside the piste. Keep left and you'll come to a garage door in the hillside with a smaller door next to it. Enter through there, follow the tunnel and you'll come up inside the place.
ski holidays
Quick bit of advice from the Saalbach locals please.

Im wanting to get the ski legs warmed up for an hour from 3pm on day one of a 4 day trip.

Am I correct in assuming if you buy a one day skipass it is valid from 3pm the day before ?

This would not apply if buying a 4 day pass?
snow report
Not 100% sure of the question but I don't see any advantage to buying a separate pass for day 1 of your trip. It would be better to buy a pass for the whole of your trip and use it from 3PM the day before.....
ie. You are skiing mon, tues, wed, thurs (4 day pass). You could use it on Sunday afternoon from 3PM.

https://www.saalbach.com/de/winter/skitickets/hauptsaison
snow report
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Not 100% sure of the question but I don't see any advantage to buying a separate pass for day 1 of your trip. It would be better to buy a pass for the whole of your trip and use it from 3PM the day before.....
ie. You are skiing mon, tues, wed, thurs (4 day pass). You could use it on Sunday afternoon from 3PM.

https://www.saalbach.com/de/winter/skitickets/hauptsaison

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that buying a 3 day pass enabling me to ski from 3pm on arrival day and for the following 3 days is more convenient and obviously would prefer that.

I was just trying to interpret the wording/translation on the saalbach.com website as to me it is slightly unclear.

‘Your ski ticket (from 1 day) is valid from 3.00 pm of the prior day - floodlit slopes included (separate regulation for flexible passes)!’
ski holidays
@hedley, ski passes are valid from 3pm on the day prior to the first day! They are also valid in the floodlit slope in Hinterglemm (open every evening apart from Sunday)
latest report
@hedley, reading from the German version, I understand that the restriction (of the availability to use the pass from 3.00 on the previous day) applies to those tickets which allow you to select some days from more days (5 in 7, 10 in 14 = "Wahlabo" - I presume that's the 'flexible passes') or day or part day tickets ("Tagesangebote").
snow report
Thanks everyone.

That’s actually a good thing as some resorts do charge for a 1/2 day.
snow report
hedley wrote:
Quick bit of advice from the Saalbach locals please.

Im wanting to get the ski legs warmed up for an hour from 3pm on day one of a 4 day trip.

Am I correct in assuming if you buy a one day skipass it is valid from 3pm the day before ?

This would not apply if buying a 4 day pass?

depending on your arrival time and checking in in saalbach to your accomodation and getting your skipass it is possible to get the ski bus from saalbach shattberg in either direction ,i.e hinterglem or schonleiten whilst carrying and in ski gear prior to 3pm so long as you hold a valid from the next day pass and start to use your pass to return to saalbach via the lift system at 3.01pm as this is what I did via schonleitin last saturday . It felt as if id gained 1/2 if not more of a day as we arrived in resort at 12.30 checked in changed and caught bus to schonleitin to head back to saalbach centre so covering more slopes in the time available plus the the first evening apres
snow report
I just booked up to come back from 7th to 14th March, this time independently rather than with Crystal. The best transfer option seems to be with these guys https://www.holiday-shuttle.at/en/saalbach-hinterglemm

The quote came in at 178Euro for two for the return trip.

Has anyone seen a better deal?
latest report
@JimboS, when I was researching the best private transfer I could find was 152 euros each way for maximum of 8, so until your group is 4 or bigger I think the holiday shuttle is the cheapest without a public bus or train and taxi option. I would also say check with your accommodation to see if any other guests are travelling on the same flight if they know. I advertised on here without any takers for the extra spaces in our taxi but then got to our accommodation to find a couple who had been on our flight and could have shared. I think the holiday shuttle uses a vehicle large enough for everybody to get the group from the airport to the village before using smaller vehicles to then zap people to their specific accommodation, so there is sometimes a change in the village.
snow report
@JimboS, I used Holiday Shuttle just now for my trip to Fieberbrunn, came back on Saturday. I have used them before for Saalbach but I can't remember what that journey was like.
On the way out they waited for me as the flight was 2 hours late, only about 15 mins but still I appreciated that (luckily I had booked a transfer that involved a wait at the airport-which of course I didn't need as the plane was delayed anyway). That saved me waiting until 2 hours for the next transfer slot.
The big coach stops somewhere handy in Saalfelden and then a taxi came to pick just me up to go to Fieberbrunn. The taxi arrived within 30 seconds of the bus. Ideal.

On the way back the pick up was 10.30 but they say they may arrive within half an hour of this time so be outside the hotel ready. I was out there at 10am and it was pretty cold so it would be good to have a text or something to let you know when they are coming within that hour slot. He turned up at 10.30 exactly.
He then dropped me off at a petrol station in Saalfelden where I waited 25 mins for the big coach to come to complete the rest of the journey to the airport. I had to go inside as it was so cold.
Anyhow so it is cheap and pretty reliable the girl Sylvie at the airport is good and can speak good English. But be prepared to wait around possibly for maybe 30 mins and therefore make sure you are warm enough for being stood still outside.
snow conditions
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Onto another subject, "Mystery cable car/gondola", last week I spotted a high level horizontal gondola going to a mid mountain position when going up the E4 gondola heading to Fieberbrunn, there didn't seem to be any mention of it on the piste map.

Is it new?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JimboS, hi

I travel to Saalbach-Hinterglemm 2 or 3 times most seasons. I’ve used Holiday Shuttle for transfers. However, for the last couple of seasons I’ve used public transport. You can get the timetables on line or download the OBB app. If your flight times fit and depending on your accommodation then bus (and or train) may be a good option for you.

With regards to the mystery gondola cable - I’ve seen this, I think it’s used for supplies rather than for skiers. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could confirm this??
latest report
Quote:

Onto another subject, "Mystery cable car/gondola", last week I spotted a high level horizontal gondola going to a mid mountain position when going up the E4 gondola heading to Fieberbrunn, there didn't seem to be any mention of it on the piste map.

I'm assuming that you may be referring to the cable with buckets hanging from it, which spans the valley between a quarry on the Fieberbrunn side, and the Reiterkogel (?)
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

I'm assuming that you may be referring to the cable with buckets hanging from it, which spans the valley between a quarry on the Fieberbrunn side, and the Reiterkogel (?)

That’s the only one Happy
latest report
had a good week last week. conditions were excellent. had 3 full days with the fuerstauer ski school to start the week off on the right foot.

the challenge route is a laugh and was a good excuse to get out for first lift which we'd not normally do, but also left me a bit broken for the last couple of days.

also trass 14 (black) in Zell am See is fun, but probably at the edge of my ability.
latest report
@tatmanstours, Could be, I'll take pictures when I'm back out in March.
snow report
@JimboS, the industrial lift with buckets that spans the Horndlinger Graben links the Weißenstein quarry (off to the left of the Fieberbrunn Reckmoos Süd lift - the blue variant of the piste passes the edge of the quarry) to the RHI-Magnesita works in Hochfilzen. The lift actually tunnels through the mountain (near the Bürglkopf) and eventually crosses the main road in Hochfilzen (near the station). The magnesite is used in lining blast furnaces, I believe.

The buckets would be a bit windy for skiers Very Happy
snow report
@Yorksboy, Thanks, I had a look at the OBB web site but the connections don't look too good at the time we arrive so will probably go with the airport transfer scheduled bus.

ski holidays
@espri, that’s what I call a definitive response!
ski holidays
@cmsd2, what did you think of First auer? I'm about to book the kids into a week's lessons with them and probably a few days myself too.

It looks like the snow is holding up well out there at the moment despite the slightly warmer temperatures. Prospect of a decent top up this week though possibly the dreaded rain lower down for a bit...

Can't wait to get out there but still a ways to go till the end of March!
snow conditions
@JimboS, I agree, the shuttle is best for later flights
ski holidays
Rowlski wrote:
@cmsd2, what did you think of First auer?

seemed like a similar setup to ESF.

first half hour was spent doing a quick sorting-hat exercise to ensure people were in the right groups then off we went.
there was a bit of variation in ability within our group E and after day 1 there were a couple of movements up and down.
we spent much of the time doing skills and drills, and mixed up short turns, carving and a bit of soft snow.
everybody got some worthwhile feedback and the instructor was ok at explaining things.
ski holidays
cmsd2 wrote:

also trass 14 (black) in Zell am See is fun, but probably at the edge of my ability.

I helped rescue 3 fallers on it last week! Luckily it's very wide which helps with the steepness...
Black Mamba at Kaprun is at least as steep but nowhere near as wide, in case anyone fancies it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy