Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2019/20 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@blondends, never gone straight there for breakfast but agree that the Bergeralm is an obvious choice, although so is the Montana Royal Alpin Club. If you want to check what time they start serving, you could ring them or drop a FB Messenger message to one of the waiters, Herman or Seppi (Dalibor), both of whom are on my friends list (as you are).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tatmanstours wrote:
@blondends, never gone straight there for breakfast but agree that the Bergeralm is an obvious choice, although so is the Montana Royal Alpin Club. If you want to check what time they start serving, you could ring them or drop a FB Messenger message to one of the waiters, Herman or Seppi (Dalibor), both of whom are on my friends list (as you are).

The Montana opens at 8.00am and serves breakfast until 11.30am. It’s quite “high end”.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Bergeralm’s “Speck mit Ei” is highly recommended (although this season they’ve increased the price to make it more expensive than a Tirolergroestl - I think someone realised what good value it was).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok cool. I’ll drop them a message.

Are you mobile (on skis) yet Tatman?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Are you mobile (on skis) yet Tatman?

not yet, but getting there
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another nice day. Went out early this morning for a short ski tour about 2 hours with fresh powder tracks on the descent for about half an hour. I often ask myself if it is worth it and it probably is because it is very good exercise and you do see more wildlife. This morning I saw 3 large goats also off on a tour-they were ahead of us but didn't manage to nick the powder they must have gone a different way to us.
Then after that I had a casual ski around on piste for the afternoon, the pistes are overall in excellent condition. There is only one piste which is a bit thin in places but it has been a dry winter so far relative to normal by all accounts.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I noted that a number of posters have been based in Leogang recently. It ticks a lot of boxes for a 28th March trip but I just wondered what the options were for a beer at the end of the day and if we self-cater, whether there's a selection of places to eat out.

TIA
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Got taken out by a skier on the red into Hinterglemm today, no fracture luckily but a very sore low back and glutes, dr advised no skiing for the last two days... Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Saalbach on Saturday for the week, staying at the Salbacherhof. Very much looking forward to it. How is the snow looking
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Out on Saturday for a week - really looking forward to it. Only been to Austria once and that was in Ellmau.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skierdad, probably white Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
2planks wrote:
Got taken out by a skier on the red into Hinterglemm today, no fracture luckily but a very sore low back and glutes, dr advised no skiing for the last two days... Crying or Very sad

Sorry to hear that. Funnily enough when I was in Hinterglemm one day last week I thought there were a lot of speeding wallies about and it concerned me as they were caning it right past little kids.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skierdad wrote:
In Saalbach on Saturday for the week, staying at the Salbacherhof. Very much looking forward to it. How is the snow looking

Conditions are very good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
good to hear was hoping to do a bit of touring if conditions permit we have a guide booked for a couple of days
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="colly10"]A group of us are heading to Saalbach in a few weeks. We always head out for a few pints from around 7, it’s good to get the party atmosphere for a night or 2 but prefer a quieter place most of the time where ye can chat, anyone got any recommendations for a good spot?

@Colly10, IMHO Eva Alm in the centre of village meets your requirement for quieter place where you can chat
ski holidays
@skierdad We stayed at the Saalbacherhof a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it. The food was fantastic and brilliant service.. Great location for all lifts.
Enjoy.
latest report
Today back over to the leogang area ,hardly anyone about , the pistes are in great condition weather glorious,had an excellent long lunch in the forsthalm 3/4 of the way to leogang followed by a couple of up and downs to and from the top of the gondolas, bit of a rush to get back to Saalbach valley ,made it to bergeralm for end of happy hour so all in all well fed well watered and well sunburnt and considering we didn’t start early according to the skiline app our most kms so far this week
ski holidays
Good day in Zell am See. Skied run 2a down to valley bottom and caught number 7 bus to Zell am see express lift. Not that impressed with Zell, pistes generally busy mid week (schools?) but got around ok. Team less than happy with blue run 5b, alternative to black 5, so some gentle ribbing at the end as it was more uphill than down!
latest report
Dumb question, everyone mentions burgeralm but piste map has it positioned away from kolhmaiskopf away from the pistes. So how do you get there?
snow report
@garystarling, from the top of the Kohlmais kift you have to ski down run 156, this will bring you to the bergeralm, which is right at the side of the piste. You might just have to pole across run 166 to get to it if not enough speed up.
You can also carry on down to the magic 6er chair - lift up then ski directly to it, also from the schonleitenbahn take 166 which will also bring you directly to it, pretty straightforward once you've found your bearings
snow conditions
Riccardo wrote:
I noted that a number of posters have been based in Leogang recently. It ticks a lot of boxes for a 28th March trip but I just wondered what the options were for a beer at the end of the day and if we self-cater, whether there's a selection of places to eat out.

TIA

We're self catering in Hutten at the Fieberbrun end of the village... Very quiet, can ski back to the door via a couple of fields but it's a 10min walk to the Asitz.
In terms of food and drink our nearest is the Huttwirt, but annoyingly it's closed till April. So we've been to Mama Thresl's a couple of times (great steak and burger but book if you want to eat as it's popular), and b3 by the Asitz does a good pizza, but is only open till 1930. Haven't tried the Forsthofgut, it's expensive, but pizza at Sport Herzog near MPreis is good, and the Salzburgerhof also appears popular.
And we went to Zell again yesterday - some bits were crowded but the Trass run was brilliant, though I did have to stop to help some fallers who probably didn't realise how steep it was - further fallers on black5 as well...
ski holidays
@summerseat. Thank you. My piste map had 2 Bergeralms! Found the correct one.
latest report
Staying self catering in Leogang at the moment. First time in this area. Lovely weather, lovely people, great food. Only thing is Hubby (not skied as much as me) thinks the blues are like reds and some reds are like blues - confusing - but he's managing!
latest report
Quote:

We're self catering in Hutten at the Fieberbrun end of the village... Very quiet, can ski back to the door via a couple of fields but it's a 10min walk to the Asitz.
In terms of food and drink our nearest is the Huttwirt

@Leonard Smalls, I thought from this description that you might be staying in the Thurnhaus, which was at one time a British-run catered chalet run by Ski-Tal (later Ski Leogang). During the period 1986-1991 I stayed there four times, and not only discovered the Saalbach area but also a strange penchant for organising annual chalet parties (which kept me entertained, as a welcome distraction from my day job, for the next 15-20 years). It slept 24 people, which made it easy to fill with friends and family. However I see from the internet that it's now been turned into a "Bergbau und Gotikmuseum". It's virtually next to the Hotel Huttwirt and also a tiny church (in which my then g/f, later my wife, and later still my ex-wife, fantasised about getting married). In those days there was little development - only a flat expanse of open meadow - between Huetten and the lift. The Asitz lift consisted in those days of a slow, clanky, two-stage chair lift. The restaurants at the top didn't exist (only a more modest restaurant on the site of the Asitzbraeu), and neither of course did the gondolas. So much has changed!
snow report
@Leonard Smalls, Cheers, hopefully it'll all still be open if we go.
snow conditions
I'm 99.99999999% sure the answer is yes to this question but does Montana royal club take card payments...

The only reason I'm asking is I think me and my dad are gonna big there tomorrow and we probably don't have enough euros cash for it...

Like I said I'm nearly 100% certain the answer but my dad wants to be certain...
ski holidays
Today , over to Fieberbrunn interesting skiing ,all pistes in good condition slightly held up on return as some poor soul was being airlifted , lunch wasn’t up to the usual standard for the area and definitely wasn’t vfm which is my yardstick .over all an enjoyable day in glorious sun rounded off with a couple of hours visiting the bars along skiliftstrasse and yet again found burgis bar the most welcoming friendly fun.last day this trip tomorrow so will be attempting a portion of the ski challenge itinerary
snow conditions
Last request on our tour! Where is the best kaiserschmarm served in the resort!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You mention Burgi's...it seems an oddity to me.

It looks and feels like it's "inside" (certainly the back area), but it's packed with smokers, so it must be outside!

Is someone playing games with their definitions?
snow conditions
@impingu1984, yes it does. There was a guy in there last week who looked like the big lebowski who had a Jenga tower of Jagermeister bottle 3' off the table. I think he paid by card.... The chocolate/orange schnapps is nice in there too.

@garystarling, it is without doubts in the Ebenbergalm in Zell. As is the ribs and the boozing.
ski holidays
NickYoung wrote:
You mention Burgi's...it seems an oddity to me.

It looks and feels like it's "inside" (certainly the back area), but it's packed with smokers, so it must be outside!

Is someone playing games with their definitions?

Oddity it could be said ,not found a problem with smokers in the undercover areas,but the place doesn’t seem to have doors other than security shutters,that could be where any confusion arises.The bigger bars along the street that are semi in or out seem to have similar problem,though far less than a couple of years ago .It wouldn’t be tobacco products that is an issue in some
snow report
Last ski day today. Went over to Kitzbuhel yesterday and apart from the usual hustle and bustle next to the Hahnenkamm because of the racing starting this weekend it was pretty quiet. The pistes were in good condition but I can't believe how thin the snow is in the surrounding area. It needs a good few dumps of snow over February.

Today I will go over to Saalbach Hinterglemm and have my usual Kaiserschmarrn what with it being the last day. This holiday (2 weeks) I have had 1 apple strudel 1 topfenstrudel and 1 germknodel so quite restrained compared to some!
snow report
ski for fun wrote:
Fieberbrunn ..... lunch wasn’t up to the usual standard for the area and definitely wasn’t vfm which is my yardstick

We were there yesterday - the pistes there are in better condition than the rest of Saalbach due to less sun-kissed slopes, though the return down the final red is a steep chossy lumpy nightmare (presumably where the rescue was?).
We also discovered the WildAlp Gasterl at the end of the flat forest blue (208?) - food there was wonderful and they took cards!
Last day today and it's Fieberbrun again as both long runs are a joy...
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, go to schwartzacher for kaiserschmarrn in hinterglemm (near the ubahn). Best I've tasted ever
ski holidays
@boabski, ok thanks I will.
Will report back later Very Happy
snow conditions
Ok the Kaiserschmarnn was quite nice but very poor value for money IMO. For €14.50 I was expecting quite a lot as usually for that kind of money it is a huge portion but it was only a small bowl. €5.70 for a Radler too.
I think that is the most I paid for either anywhere in the area from what I can remember from last season's 3 month long trip so I wouldn't go to the Schwarzacher again.

Thanks for the recommendation though anyway.
ski holidays
Skied in Hinterglemm today mostly. Pistes are in good condition but it was another warm day. Lovely weather mind but too warm for the time of year.
There needs to be a prolonged cold spell and a jolly good storm or two for it to be any good through February and March IMO especially as the ski traffic is going to increase considerably in February.
snow report
Agree pistes in Fieberbrum were in very good shape. 121, 125 and 105 were great fun. 123 back was OK but suffering in the sun and quite bumpy. Crowds on South side of Hinterglemm but lots of slope to ourselves on the North side. Got our Kaiserschmarnn at the Wildalgatteralm piste 108. Plate was big enough to feed two, included raisins and apple sauce for around €12.50.
snow report
garystarling wrote:
Agree pistes in Fieberbrum were in very good shape. 121, 125 and 105 were great fun. 123 back was OK but suffering in the sun and quite bumpy. Crowds on South side of Hinterglemm but lots of slope to ourselves on the North side. Got our Kaiserschmarnn at the Wildalgatteralm piste 108. Plate was big enough to feed two, included raisins and apple sauce for around €12.50.

Yeah €12.50 to feed two is more like it.
After all it is only pancake-the cheapest food stuffs going.
Pistes in Fieberbrunn are definitely better I noticed the change almost immediately.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Pistes in Fieberbrunn are definitely better I noticed the change almost immediately.

Interesting because I was over in Fieberbrunn 2 weeks ago and the pistes were distinctly worse than those in Saalbach and Hinterglemm.
Hoping to visit again in Feb if I can bring myself to pay the half-term proces!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy