Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2019/20 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Thank you. I think we will go for the quickest and do ski bus option. Heading out Sunday and looking forward to seeing a new ski area.
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
flangesax wrote:
Now then....
Saturday 18th January- 13:00 - 15:00

Stöckalm Hut (midstation of Asitzbahn gondola at Leogang)... Be there or be somewhere else skiing...

My live band Brother Buffalo are performing in the Stöckalm hut at the mid-station of Leogang, Salzburg, Austria (Asitzbahn gondola).

It is part of the Brother Buffalo // 3 Tage Jazz // Eintritt frei! event (we don't do Jazz...Blues Rock) but the Jazzfestival Saalfelden is a 'proper' music festival and invited us to play.

It would be great to see some snowHead 's there... don't be scared to declare yourselves!
This will be a pretty loud gig... you have been warned wink

Check us out below!!... PLEASE SHARE TO HELP SPREAD THE WORD!

http://youtube.com/v/x5qNQir_1u4

So annoying, we arrive about 5pm on Saturday. Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@flangesax, I’d be there if I were fit to ski (calf injury). Sounds as if you would be perfect for a weekly gig at Bobby’s Pub, Saalbach. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@radar, @tatmanstours, Thanks for the directions, @tatmanstours, didn’t think about getting the Turm chair, thanks. snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow covered cars in Fieberbrunn this morning.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Snow covered cars in Fieberbrunn this morning.

And in Hinterglemm. Unfortunately I’m travelling home today after a wonderful two weeks. Back at the end of February though Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had some 5cm powder on the piste this morning but it was very busy indeed in the car park at 9am so it has soon got tracked out and moguls are forming. Think it will snow all day and all night. It is still a bit too warm. The best snow is on the Fieberbrunn side as it is more shaded there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
continual light snow at present
Update: now moderate/heavy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My friend Paul & I very much enjoyed hearing the Brother Buffalo today. Excellent. Very lively. The weather wasn't so fine but we could still ski the lower slopes without venturing into the mists higher up.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like there has been a little bit more snow since yesterday and the snowploughs were out this morning. I've got a sore little toe so I'm saving myself for the freeride guiding I've got booked all day tomorrow as there may be some skinning involved. Will go to St Johann today to see what has changed since last year and to go to the supermarket. The annoying thing about Fieberbrunn is not one of their 3 big supermarkets is open on a Sunday not even for just the afternoon.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@espri, Ange here, Ben said you asked after me, and its good to read that you enjoyed the band, Ive yet to see them! I was at home on guest duty with breakfasts, checkouts, room changes and drive snow clearing, I get all the fun jobs. Im off out later though to enjoy the slopes. Happy skiing. Ange snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, Ange, I surmised you'd be working hard - enjoy the skiing!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Heavy snow again in Fieberbrunn as I arrived back after shopping.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ll be bringing a group of 10 confident skiers to Saalbach on 7 March staying at Hotel Post.

I understand the hotel is pretty much right in the centre of the village?

We would like a recommendation for ski hire ( Hansis has been mentioned ?) Do they have locker hire here?

In order to minimise potential faffage and walking in ski boots, depending on where we are likely to end up skiing out at the end of the day which ski shop / locker arrangements would you recommend ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is a ski locker below the Schattberg Express lift, access to which is via a rental shop.
15 euro a week to keep boots, poles and skis there.
ski holidays
Schattberg isn't exactly the best location to end the day
snow report
@hedley, I don’t understand why you want a ski locker. The Hotel Post is in the centre of the village and pretty much equidistant from the three village centre gondola stations. Keep your kit there and you won’t be restricted to going to any particular gondola to start your day. The village is quite compact, so not much walking is involved.
For equipment hire go to Hansi’s Best-Price, next door but one to Bobby’s Pub at the bottom of the Main Street, and tell Hansi that I recommended you to go to him. He will then give you his very best price, including the “Tatman discount”.
snow report
@hedley, I don’t understand why you want a ski locker. The Hotel Post is in the centre of the village and pretty much equidistant from the three village centre gondola stations. Keep your kit there and you won’t be restricted to going to any particular gondola to start your day. The village is quite compact, so not much walking is involved.
For equipment hire go to Hansi’s Best-Price, next door but one to Bobby’s Pub at the bottom of the Main Street, and tell Hansi that I recommended you to go to him. He will then give you his very best price, including the “Tatman discount”.
snow report
Arrived sat about 1pm and once settled in to hotel took advantage of the 3pm use of ski pass to get the old legs moving.A visit to the Berger alm and then back to village for dinner via Burgis.Yesterday Sunday the welcome snow showers at times made visibility tricky We went over to the trees in leogang and skied down to the bottom and back up a couple of times before a late lunch,then made our way back for a session in the hinterhag as usual was fairly busy and the 2man band had the place lifting with enthusiasm .effi was greeted on stage as if she was Tina Turner which to the uninitiated is confusing if not unbelievable .wobbled out of there about 7pm and back to hotel for a very good dinner and bed.no plans for the day yet as will take it as it comes
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:

Plus one for this. If it was me, I'd keep my gear at the hotel for maximum morning flexibility.
snow report
I would agree with keeping the flexibility despite my own dislike of carrying skis anywhere. We stored our skis at the ski hire shop at Schattberg last week. The staff and facilities there are excellent (storage was free with ski hire) but it did mean we ended up skiing out via the same gondola every day and still had to carry skis through the shop and up stairs before boarding. To finish the day we had to ski down the 1a black and walk across the bridge, so some walking anyway, or ski to a bus stop and catch the bus back to Schattberg. After dumping skis the lockers were probably on the wrong side of town to the 'action' so we ended up walking through town anyway. Whilst it wasn't a major bind given the location of our accommodation (Pension Enzian) being that side I think I would prefer the flexibility to start and end the day in different places if my hotel was more central.
ski holidays
Quote:

After dumping skis the lockers were probably on the wrong side of town to the 'action' so we ended up walking through town anyway.

If staying at Hotel Post or any other village-centre hotel, there would be absolutely no point in keeping skis in a locker at the Schattberg Xpress. For us, the preferred way of ending the day would be to ski down the Kohlmais (or sometimes the Bernkogel), and catch some apres-ski before continuing to our accommodation.
There is no apres-ski on the Schattberg side of the village, which is also normally in the shade (“Schattberg” = Shadow Mountain).
snow conditions
Excellent conditions in Saalbach this morning. Super cold and sunny!
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, I know - I’m looking at it out of my window, as I wait for my calf muscle to repair itself Mad
latest report
Brilliant guided day today had more pristine powder runs than could shake a stick at.
The only hike carrying skis was for 70m in length (not height) the rest was lift served and by traversing in.
Fab day with a fab group of randoms.
The new snow has made the skiing on piste wonderful too as brrr it was cold today (well in comparison to how it has been anyway).
snow conditions
We did the SkiCircus Challenge today... Perfect conditions and time for a couple of extra runs and a beer in the Asitzbrau before run 203 to home!
snow conditions
Never been to Saalbach before but the two days I've had so far is making it my favourite resort.

Great conditions today, been over to leogang, got back to Saalbach for lunch had a bit of apres, shower now and back on it in a bit..

I love Saalbach... Incredible resort.
snow conditions
A group of us are heading to Saalbach in a few weeks. We always head out for a few pints from around 7, it’s good to get the party atmosphere for a night or 2 but prefer a quieter place most of the time where ye can chat, anyone got any recommendations for a good spot?

Also wondering where would people recommend skiing on the first day to get a good feel for the place?
We’ll be going up the Schattberg xpress, down the 2a and either hanging around Saalbach, a bit of Saalbach & Hinterglemm or a bit of Saalbach and Leogang? Know it’s a weird question but I get stressed by loads of options and like to aim for a great day 1 Very Happy
We have tatmanstours best piste recommendations
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@colly10, The bars to go for a nice, convivial atmosphere, but where you can also have a civilised chat, are the Spitzbub (cosy inside bar), the Crazy Deer and the Otzi Bar. Bobby's can also sometimes be okay - it depends on the night. The Underbar is great fun but possibly a bit manic for your tastes. Ditto the Off-Piste Bar and the Alibi. The Irish Pub under the Alpenhotel has been very quiet on the odd occasion that I've been in there.

Whilst on the subject, there is no doubt that Mike and Daniela, who own the Spitzbub, have assembled a great team for this season, and the bar has become better and increasingly popular year by year: Bartenders Tina (from Australia), Jules (from England), Max (from Belgium), and others who keep changing. Whilst the outside bar is often a riotous apres-ski party scene, especially when Geordie entertainer, Spacey, is doing his thing (5.00-8.00pm every Tuesday and Thursday), the more intimate inside bar is a haven of comparative tranquillity, although there is usually some decent music playing in there - and sometimes it can get lively. It's nice to have the choice, and also to be able to nip in and out of the inside bar when you fancy a bit of relative calm and warmth, and perhaps some friendly conversation with whoever is behind the bar. It's also the nearest thing you're likely to find in Saalbach to a traditional pub atmosphere, often with a distinctly British clientele. We often stop for a nightcap late at night on the way back from the village, and a "just a quick one" sometimes becomes a couple of hours! For those who don't know it, it's just past the church on Schliftstrasse, opposite Bauer's Schi-Alm.

The Crazy Deer (on Schulstrasse) is also worthy of mention. Owned by a lovely Dutch couple (Derco and Gita), and staffed/managed by Wolfy (half Irish/half German), and Steve (Canadian), it has a very welcoming and friendly atmosphere. To a great extent it's probably taken over from Bobby's Pub as the bar where many of the Brits tend to hang out. You can also order bar food to be sent down from the Hungry Deer restaurant (same ownership) above.

The Underbar continues to be the wildest, most frenetic bar in Saalbach - live singer-guitarist every night, and videos of the bartenders' (Richard and Johann from Sweden) exploits in the powder. The Otzi Bar (run by Carl from Sweden, Ruben from Netherlands, and Glen from the U.K.) continues to be popular, especially with late-night clientele (as it stays open till 4.00am), and also on Sundays and Wednesdays, when inimitable Geordie entertainer, Spacey, plays guitar, sings and entertains between 10.00pm and around midnight.

Quote:

Also wondering where would people recommend skiing on the first day to get a good feel for the place?

If you plan to come down piste 2a from Schattberg, the obvious two options for a first day would be: (a) go over to Leogang and explore the runs and restaurants over there. The two valley runs (Asitz, which splits halfway down into blue, red and black options, and Steinberg, which is a lovely long, blue run through the forest) are both excellent. It's hard to choose between the five best restaurants over there - all exceptional - you have the Alte Schmiede, the Asitzbraeu, the Hendl Fischerei, the Kralleralm and the Forsthofalm. On the way back, the natural place to head for (on piste 166) between 3.30-4.30pm is the Bergeralm's happy hour (2 beers for 5 euros). Before diving in there, you will probably have time to explore some of the network of blue/red runs on the Kohlmais above Saalbach. It's worth noting that from the top of piste 166 (the Wildenkarkogel) it's downhill all the way to Saalbach - about 5km and no more lifts that need to be taken, although the Magic 6er chair that starts from just below the Bergeralm provides access to some nice runs if it's too early to stop when you get to the afore-mentioned Alm.

(b) Another suggestion for a first day might be to do the anti-clockwise circuit of the valley. So, instead of going over to Leogang, you would turn westwards at the top of the Schoenleitenbahn, ski down the Kohlmais (pistes 166, then 152 or 151, or 153a) to Saalbach, then carry on in zig-zag fashion along the north side of the valley - Bernkogel, Reiterkogel, Hochalm - then cross over to the Zwoelferkogel, then up Schattberg Westgipfel, and over to Schattberg Ost, from where you could finish up with black piste 1 down to Saalbach. That circuit takes a competent intermediate around 3 hours (4 hours including an hour for lunch). If you get tired and have had enough, you can easily get a ski bus back to Saalbach from Hochalm or the Zwoelferkogel. You can also download in the Schattberg Xpress gondola if you don't fancy the black run. Or if you prefer your last run to be a blue in the sunshine, you could take a ski bus from Hochalm or the Zwoelferkogel to the Schoenleitenbahn (only 15-20 mins), in which case you would end up skiing down the Kohlmais again (via the Bergeralm).

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 21-01-20 2:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, thanks for the detailed reply, looks like lots of good options there Smile
snow report
Yesterday started up schattberg turned right and headed for Hinterglemm ,morning spent on empty fast pistes .then across the valley.Skied on later than usual before a late lunch at reiteralm as the conditions are as I like them or more importantly as does mrs ski for fun .made it back to base tired but happy after an enjoyable day rounded of with several beers in the company of a crowd of young Scandinavians. now these lads and lasses know how to party.then back to hotel just in time for dinner. Up early surprisingly so considering a sortie to zell today
latest report
ski for fun wrote:
considering a sortie to zell today

We did Zell and Kaprun the other day from Leogang - because of all the buses involved it was quite tight making the last lifts back. And the final red back down to the Zell Express mid station has a tendency toward being very icy!
snow report
Webcam etc watching as we are in Saalbach (1st time!) for a week on 25th.
What’s the chance of 168 being open before then, asking anyone who’s in the know?
latest report
@malarkey99, not sure what’s going on with 168. Plenty of people seem to be going down it, and it’s being groomed (as far as I know) at least as far as the Hecherhuette, which is just over halfway down. And yet it’s still officially closed, despite the recent snowfall.
We went down it on Boxing Day, had a meal and apres party, then got a lift down to the valley, where some friends had parked their car.
A taxi from the Hecherhuette back to Saalbach would be EUR 40.
snow report
Thanks @tatmanstours (& also for your very useful guide too - I now have all the beer stops planned Very Happy )
Can’t wait!
snow conditions
Quote:

not sure what’s going on with 168. Plenty of people seem to be going down it, and it’s being groomed (as far as I know) at least as far as the Hecherhuette,

I think they just show the closed sign to deter vast numbers of skiers using the run, knowing full well that those "in the know" are still going to head down at their own risk to the Hecherheutte
snow conditions
Getting to Zell am See from Saalbach. Any advice please plus getting back? We have a super ski card lift ticket. Would prefer not to use piste 168 as some of our party are wary when they see piste closure signs.
latest report
garystarling wrote:
Getting to Zell am See from Saalbach. Any advice please plus getting back? We have a super ski card lift ticket. Would prefer not to use piste 168 as some of our party are wary when they see piste closure signs.

It’s a few minutes by ski bus from the Bottom station of the Schönleitenbahn to the bottom station of the Zell am Zee express. Bus runs every 10 minutes. Return is the same. Very quick and easy.
snow conditions
Went to zell today ,early start up shattberg down 2in the best condition I’ve ever been down it note to self must get up earlier. Easy connection by bus 5 mins to lift,spent 4hour skiing plus lunch .been there done it as an away day was fine but to be honest wouldn’t rush back crowded pistes and poor signage didn’t help
latest report
We arrive in Saalbach on Saturday and my plan for a Sunday is to get first lift up the Kohlmaisbahn at 8am and to have breakfast on the mountain whilst we wait for the other lift to open (at 9am I think)

Does anyone know if the Bergeralm is open for breakfast? Or do people have any other recommendations for a breakfast stop?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy