Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2019/20 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@tatmanstours, Thanks for the advice. I'll try to persuade some of the group I sometimes ski with to come over next year. They don't like January because it is too cold, but March sounds like it should be ideal. Will also stick with Saalbach. Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tatmanstours, to be honest I was thinking the same! Waste of money, confusing-and nothing wrong with the old system. F for Fieberbrunn! What is there not to like??
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In other news I headed straight over to Saalbach and Hinterglemm this morning and met up with @Yorksboy for lunch at the Pfefferalm then headed back to Fieberbrunn for a casual beer in my shoes at the S4Alm-as this time I have used the heated ski lockers at S4. I walked half an hour to the lift station this morning as I fancied walking even though the bus stop is outside my hotel and I walked back as well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
After our trip last week we also thought Leogang may be a good base but seems a bit isolated compared to the central location of Saalbach.
However we found Saalbach rather noisy after dark. We all like a drink after skiing and I am not trying to spoil people's good spirits but we were woken up by really noisy drunken lads singing and shouting in the main street in the early hours of the morning (most days). This has put us off somewhat for our next trip.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skilass, I have occasionally heard this from people who have had the misfortune to be allocated hotel rooms in the village centre and overlooking the main street - for example in Berger's Sport Hotel. Most of the bars and night clubs close at 3.00am, although the Otzi Bar stays open until 4.00am. Much depends on which hotel. For example, you would probably be okay in the upper part of the Dorfstrasse, or anywhere along Schliftstrasse. There are many parts of Saalbach that are convenient for accessing lifts and the village centre, but are also quiet and secluded. We never hear any noise, and we are only just up the road from the church, opposite the Kohlmaisbahn. As ever, it's a question of doing some research and avoiding any accommodation over or near a bar, or overlooking the lower and central part of the Dorfstrasse.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @tatmanstours. Our room did overlook the main street and I think it was people leaving the Costello nightclub in our hotel who were singing at the top of their voices. We spent a lot of money to stay there and it's the last thing you need after such busy days on the slopes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

How come they changed the piste numbers?
New signs and new piste maps must have cost a lot.

A hell of a lot - and for me a complete waste of money, as I find it more confusing than the old system and numbering. However I have been assured that it's made navigation easier for anyone new to the area.

Just returned from a week in Saalbach, as a newbie to the area, and found the piste marking was absolutely fantastic, really really easy to find your way around - I happily led my group on trips out to Fieberbrunn, Leogang etc
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skilass, sorry to hear your issues with noise, I recommend this hotel if you visit Saalbach again

www.kristiana.at

It’s just beyond the top of the main street, so avoids the boisterous sounds of the early morning club leavers, but just a couple of mins walk to the gondalas and the apres scene.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just got back late last night from another epic week in the area. Stayed at the Adler Resort again in hinterglemm, which was excellent.
Snow conditions were very variable but in the main pretty good given the 'lack' of snow compared with previous visits (this was our 4th visit in 5 years).
Apres highlights for me was DJ Ötzi at Goaßtahl - genuinely thought he was going to be duff but turned out to be excellent. Even better my 16 year old tried to follow some young hotties onto to stage, only to be kindly removed by the bouncers Laughing .
For those who have not gone to the Schwartzacher for apres in Hinterglemm, you really do need to make the effort. In our opinion this is the best apres. The DJ is great fun and knows how to get the party going. Oh and they also sell the best Kaiserschmarren we have eaten ever. It is expensive as a rule, but worth it.
Goaßtahl for us this year was a let down. Playing a lot less schlagger music. In previous years she played lots of it and the crowd was jumping - now she's playing loads of techno and as a result the atmosphere was flat.
Will absolutely be returning again next year when hopefully 168 will be open and our fave ski route open
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We will bear in mind the Kristiana next time we are booking up our next trip. Thanks @ribblevalleyblue .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Our room did overlook the main street and I think it was people leaving the Costello nightclub in our hotel who were singing at the top of their voices.

@skilass, I suspected as much. Castello is a big night club that attracts a young crowd, so that area in the centre of the village is especially susceptible to late-night revellers. I’m not at all surprised that they’re noisy when emerging in the small hours, and that is one reason why I will not have young party-animals staying with us.
Rooms on the street side of the Saalbacherhof and Berger’s Sport Hotel are to be avoided. The further you move away from the village centre, the less noisy it’s likely to be, although now that the smoking ban has finally been imposed, it might be worth avoiding any accommodation that is in proximity to a late-night bar.
As I indicated before, there are plenty of hotels in quiet locations. The Kristiana is one, and the Hotel Kohlmais (next to us) is another.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Goaßtahl for us this year was a let down. Playing a lot less schlagger music. In previous years she played lots of it and the crowd was jumping - now she's playing loads of techno and as a result the atmosphere was flat.

One reason we stopped going there. We tend to stick to Saalbach for apres-ski these days (Bergeralm, Hinterhag, Spitzbub, Burgi’s and Bauer’s).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We will learn from our (noisy) mistake.
Now that we are more familiar with the layout of Saalbach, we will pick more wisely next time.

We may even find the courage to move away from a package and arrange our own trip!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was thinking yesterday I bet it dumps back end of this week and it does!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We're in Leogang and it's most certainly quiet! Mama Thresl's is good though...
snow report
@skilass, Fieberbrunn is a good spot too if you want comfortable and quiet. My double room with balcony with the bus stop outside was a steal.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I was thinking yesterday I bet it dumps back end of this week and it does!

Looking encouraging for a noticeable top up on the latest model updates. Just hoping it doesn't cause havoc with flights and transfers for our arrival on Saturday!
ski holidays
@robboj, I wouldn't have thought so
After all this time last year there was an incredible amount of snow over a fortnight and even then I think it was only the tour ops that suffered. I never have any trouble booking my own flight etc
latest report
We arrive this Saturday for a week ski trip, staying in Leogang and have been watching the weather forecasts with keen interest. Encouraging to see a change in the high pressure system and a chance for some decent snowfall this weekend to top up the pistes and cover the trees, creating the real winter wonderland!

Couple questions:
1) Is there Uber/Lyft or any app based ride hailing system in the area, or is our only bet the antiquated method of calling and booking a taxi? If the latter, does anyone have preferences or are they all the same.
2) We have a self catering room in a hotel but would like to explore the best cuisine in the area for dinner. too Does anyone have must have dinner restaurants that you highly recommend?

To all those SHs out there at the moment, have a great week!
ski holidays
@rrd3718, As you’re staying in Leogang, I can only say that I imagine that you’ll be dependent on local taxi firms. Also that the Kralleralm, the Forsthofalm, and the restaurants at the top of the gondolas (the Alte Schmiede, the Asitzbraeu, and Mama Thresl’s Hendl Fischerei) are all well worth a visit.
latest report
thanks @tatmanstours we will definitely be visiting all of those. Thanks for the recommendations for Kralleralm and Forsthofalm!
snow conditions
@rrd3718, I think that one or both of the gondolas may stay open late on some evenings - worth investigating.
ski holidays
I was hoping that as would be great to have dinner up on the mountain, I will investigate and report back on here for those that might be interested
latest report
The Hüttwirt has a good restaurant. It's in the Hütten end of Leogang, the west end towards Hochfilzen.
snow conditions
I'll be in Maria Alm the first week of February and one of our party went to Kirchenwirt in Leogang a few yaers ago and wants to try it again.
Any thoughts on that please?
snow report
@robandliza, if you have a car then that is simple. If you want to ski in Leogang, you'll need the Superski card to extend your pass to cover more than Maria Alm. It can be done by Postbus, but I wouldn't recommend it
snow report
Thanks @ousekjarr but I was asking specifically about the Kirchenwirt for dinner and if anyone had any experiences. I will have a car and will be skiing Leogang/Saalbach one day whilst my wife visits the Krallerhof Spa
snow report
Despite the current weather I assume the snow cannons are running overnight?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kb36, not necessarily. Only a portion seem to be on, certainly in hinterglemm
ski holidays
@kb36, they were blasting away last night and the night before. As I look out of my window this evening, I think that they’re thinking about it.
latest report
Snow cannons were running on the bottom half of the long blues down to the two gondolas towards Leogang until at least 2pm today. We had been adequately refreshed from skiing through them by then and moved on.
snow report
Now switched on on Schattberg, and on the nursery slope outside our window.
ski holidays
Warm afternoon in Fieberbrunn +7 C. Sunny. Hardpacked pistes. Off piste has got snow on it but it isn't the sort that is nice to ski because of the sun.
I see the snow forecast has shrunk for the weekend, not that you can go by the cm very much as last season it said 2cm for one night in St Johann and we had 45cm.
snow report
Another very warm sunny day for the time of year. Reminds me of skiing in mid March. The lower temperatures from Friday onwards will be most welcome I think.
snow report
We felt that when we were there last week. No thermals needed!
snow conditions
It can be nippy skiing in the shade and when sat outside (as not moving) but at about +7 it is warm for the time of year for sure.
It does need to get colder or else the snow will melt quicker once the ground starts showing. This time last year there was about 1 metre more on my estimations as the snow was near the top of the piste markers in some places and this year it just looks normal. Still plenty of cover though and it is nice and grippy on the Fieberbrunn side.
latest report
Snow is forecast for the weekend. Hope everyone enjoys the improving conditions.
latest report
It has clouded over big time this morning compared to the clear skies the past few days so I think we should get some decent snowfall once the temperature drops significantly on Friday/Saturday
snow report

@VolklAttivaS5, Snow-forecast.com
snow report
@radar, yeah I know. I prefer to go by the sky and how it feels as that seemed to work well when I was here for 3 months last season
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy