Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2019/20 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@tatmanstours, how's the light for getting down from burglar alarm at the end of Jan?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kb36 wrote:
@tatmanstours, how's the light for getting down from burglar alarm at the end of Jan?

I have the same problem with autocorrect
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Yorksboy, not an auto correct issue, its affectionately known as the burglar alarm
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yorksboy wrote:
kb36 wrote:

And with the rest of my post!

Did add that I’d skied from the Pfefferalm to the Goatstall after dark yesterday, plenty of moonlight.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kb36, Sunset is currently 4.35pm. I've been using a head torch at around 5.15-5.30pm. However by the end of January, it may well be possible to manage without lights.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Small bit of advice sought. Having booked an all inclusive hotel Thurs - Mon because it offered "try skiing" on a magic carpet right beside the hotel I'm now told they will now not take beginners until Sunday. The main ski school in Hinterglemm also will not take beginners until Sunday.

In fairness, I don't really care that much as I'ds prefer to ski with the kids, however, I've a 7 year old and a 3 year old and my wife will likely be occupied with our third child. I will be fine taking one or other of the 7 year old or 3 year old on their own, but taking responsibility for both will be tricky.

Tatsman has kindly suggested that the Kreuzkapelle nursery slope has a tow lift that is free. I'm just wondering if there is parking near there as I might just be able to manage the two of them on it, particularly if I get the 7 year old snow ploughing?

Thanks in advance

tatmanstours wrote:
[The points cards mentioned by klammfranzer can be used on any of the lifts, including the Turm chair lift at Saalbach, which takes beginners to the top of the nursery slopes (and may be considered preferable to a T-bar). However you should work out whether it is likely to work out cheaper than a standard pass. The number of points deducted for each lift is on the piste map. It is likely to be a false economy for most skiers.

The smaller Kreuzkapelle nursery slope at Saalbach, which has a rope tow, is free.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@8611, Parking is becoming a bit of an issue in Saalbach. Your best might be the Kohlmaisbahn lift station.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yorksboy wrote:
Yorksboy wrote:
kb36 wrote:

And with the rest of my post!

Did add that I’d skied from the Pfefferalm to the Goatstall after dark yesterday, plenty of moonlight.

I only visited the Pfefferalm on our last day. Wish I’d found it earlier!

We stayed on the road down from the Goaßstall tunnel, just opposite the Reiterkogel Gondola station, so we got to witness a few people who’d visited the same drinking spots as you struggling (and falling) down the road.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@8611, Try skill.at. They may be able to help you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks both of you. Kind of looking forward to being a ski instructor for a day or two otherwise!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Black piste 216 at Leogang may be short and look relatively innocuous, but treat it with respect. I didn't and treated the spectators on the Asitzgipfelbahn chair lift above to probably the most spectacular wipe-out I have ever had the misfortune to experience. Furtunately nothing worse than a pulled calf muscle and a bruised ego resulted. Now hobbling around and looking out at the perfect skiing weather Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tatmanstours, I feel your pain. Hopefully a couple of days R&R will restore you.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Conditions are suffering in the high temperatures. The snow is heavy on the sunny slopes and it feels so warm - springlike. It was 10 degrees up the mountain today. I thought January was supposed to be colder!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any suggestions as to the best pistes to ski on our last day in these warm temperatures?
ski holidays
@skilass, Schattberg pistes 1 and 8. Zwölferkogel, including piste 40. Fieberbrunn. Leogang.
ski holidays
Brilliant thanks. We will give them a go.
latest report
Leogang is the only part we havent explored this trip. Is it worth the trip over or is fieberbrunn likely to be better ? Dont want to waste our last day.
snow report
Leogang had the best runs and the hendlfischerei. Blast down the big blues and have a chicken and salad for lunch listening to some tunes. Excellent last day.
snow conditions
@skilass, Although both Leogang and Fieberbrunn both offer enjoyable skiing and are easily reached by intermediate skiers, I'm inclined to agree that it would be almost criminal to have spent a holiday in the Ski Circus without visiting Leogang, if only because its mountain restaurants are possibly the best you are likely to find anywhere in the Alps. I always feel spoilt for choice, but would recommend:
The Alte Schmiede (at the top of the Asitzbahn gondola) - a combination of a museum and restaurant, with a very interesting interior, high standards of service, a very good, extensive menu, and excellent food.
The Asitzbraeu (across the piste from the Alte Schmiede) - in the same ownership as the Alte Schmiede, and with a brewery theme. Has its own house beer. Again very high standards. I recommend going all the way down to the bottom floor, where you can sit around the central fire.
The Kralleralm (at the bottom of the Steinbergbahn gondola) - again, in the same ownership as the Alte Schmiede and the Asitzbraeu. Beautiful interior. Great menu and food.
The Forsthofalm (at the bottom of the Almbahn chair lift) - very swish hotel and restaurant, which I like for its location, its chilled music and atmosphere, and its ham and cheese toasties.
The Hendl Fischerei (aka "The Chicken Man")(at the top of the Steinbergbahn gondola) - renowned for its grilled chicken, its wonderful location, design and views. It can get very busy, so it may be advisable to book a table, depending on the time of the season and the time of day.
snow conditions
Leogang sounds like a perfect finale. Thanks everyone. We have had a brilliant time so far.
ski holidays
I have to meet the Ryanair baggage challenge as I head to Saalbach tomorrow.
At a glance it looks warm for January.
Any advice from Saalbach snowheads? I'm thinking of leaving my heavy ski jacket behind for a softshell and few light layers.
Think I might take March spring like approach in meeting the 10kg challenge.
God I hope it isn't porridge in the pm next week
ski holidays
@landers, Although the weather is fine and sunny, it’s cold in the shade and each end of the day. It’s been very noticeable that the temperature rises as you go up the mountain into the sunshine.
At this time of the year the sun is obviously weaker and lower in the sky than in March, so the pistes hold up better. I haven’t yet encountered any mushy snow, and I’ve been skiing every day (although I wasn’t able to ski yesterday or today, due to injury).
For your flight I would suggest wearing multiple layers, including your warm ski jacket. You only need to wear it whilst boarding.
latest report
3 of us are heading to Saalbach 29th February for a week, first time to Saalbach for all 3 of us after going to Mayrhofen last time round.
As snowboarders are there any flat areas we are best to avoid, not much worse than having to walk while skiers get to slide on by.

We're staying near the Kohlmais gondola
snow report
Thanks for the heads up for Leogang. We had a blast on our last day, whizzing down the blues to the bottom. It was great snow conditions, unlike the south facing Saalbach ones. Lunch at the asitzbraeu was lovely and the service was excellent.
We really hope to be back next year, jobs (and finances)permitting.
Saalbach has completely lived up to all we hoped it would.
ski holidays
glad to skilass enjoyed saalbach , wont be long now before we are back another week at work.Ive not seen or heard of any one venturing to zell am see yet. is the lift not operating or is it the case that saalbach has enough skiing and fun without venturing there
snow conditions
@landers, fair play and good luck with the 10kg challenge. We booked 4 bags for our trip to Saalbach tomorrow but one of our group dropped out. He cancelled his flight but not his baggage so we have 92kg between three and I am still worried.......
snow report
ski for fun wrote:
glad to skilass enjoyed saalbach , wont be long now before we are back another week at work.Ive not seen or heard of any one venturing to zell am see yet. is the lift not operating or is it the case that saalbach has enough skiing and fun without venturing there

Zell am See Xpress lift is operating, but slope 168 down to the lift is currently closed. Short bus journey therefore required both ways. I can’t see the connection having great appeal until they construct a new lift from Viehofen on the opposite side to the Zell Xpress.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowscreen, nothing to worry about in the area, you can pretty much avoid any drag lifts too - best lift served area I’ve ever been to
ski holidays
Quote:

Zell am See Xpress lift is operating, but slope 168 down to the lift is currently closed. Short bus journey therefore required both ways. I can’t see the connection having great appeal until they construct a new lift from Viehofen on the opposite side to the Zell Xpress.

With slope 168 closed how does one get to/from the Hecherhutte? Is it taxi up the road only? I'm out there in a couple weeks and was hoping to have a lunch there & then head back to Zell before the zell am see xpress stops (i'm staying in Zell).
latest report
Why is slope 168 closed and is it likely to open in the next few weeks. Out in 1 weeks time to Zell and was hoping to use the link on a couple of days.
ski holidays
farlep99 wrote:
Quote:

With slope 168 closed how does one get to/from the Hecherhutte? Is it taxi up the road only? I'm out there in a couple weeks and was hoping to have a lunch there & then head back to Zell before the zell am see xpress stops (i'm staying in Zell).

If 168 is closed, officially you’d need to get a taxi up to the Hecherhutte. Personally, I’d choose to have lunch at the top of the Asitz. But please don’t nab the last chicken before I get there.
snow report
Chick wrote:
Why is slope 168 closed and is it likely to open in the next few weeks. Out in 1 weeks time to Zell and was hoping to use the link on a couple of days.

Lack of snow cover and it’s not looking good for the foreseeable future.
ski holidays
Quote:

If 168 is closed, officially you’d need to get a taxi up to the Hecherhutte. Personally, I’d choose to have lunch at the top of the Asitz. But please don’t nab the last chicken before I get there.

Well I've always ate my chicken at the Berghotel in Zell. So maybe I'll have to compare. I've met Jarmila from the Hecher a few times (long story) & have been wanting to make it there. Never have. Was hoping to this year & ski down. Let's hope weather changes in the next 10-12 days!!
snow conditions
Returned home yesterday after a great week's skiing in the loveliest weather I have experienced at this time of year. Skied all areas except Zell. A couple from the hotel did make the trip across, and said that the Saalbach area was far better. Based on their experience I'm glad we stuck to the Leogang area and slow hut crawl back to Saalbach and finish on a high in Hinterhag for the last day.
I have been an avid reader of this thread for the last few weeks and have really appreciated the input from @tatmanstours and his excellant rough guide. Thank you. Hope you get fully fit very soon.

Just a couple of questions for the regulars. By the end of the week the weather was getting pretty warm and more March like, just wondering weather the snow holds up as well here in early March as it did this week, given that the suns rays will be a bit stronger, and its quite a low area. Any views?

Skiing over in Leogang was excellant. Just wondering whether that would make a good alternative base to Saalbach. We're not too fussed about partying into the early hours, but do enjoy a few beers in a lively atmosphere after a ski and maybe a nightcap after dinner. We found that Lech last January was just a bit too quiet
latest report
@chnh3, plenty of apres ski and craic in Lech, you maybe didn’t find the right places?
ski holidays
Due out next Saturday for our group trip to a Saalbach. I want some new all mountain skis but will also be bringing my old ones. Any idea on where one can recycle the old skis, they are still good but my standard has solidly improved so looking to go for something expensive!
snow conditions
@chnh3,
Quote:

just wondering weather the snow holds up as well here in early March as it did this week, given that the suns rays will be a bit stronger, and its quite a low area. Any views?

It all depends on what the weather is doing, and specifically whether it's a northerly airstream or southerly. The ski area is actually not particularly low for the eastern Alps (where the snowline is lower than further west). Saalbach village is also significantly higher than many other major ski resorts in Salzburgerland and the Tirol (e.g. Kitzbuehel, Zell am See, Mayrhofen, Ski Welt, etc.)
In the last two seasons, I noted that the middle of March was one of the best times to be in Saalbach, with fresh snow, cold temperatures, sunny weather, and relatively quiet pistes - which meant no chopped-up, mogully pistes. Early March also typically offers excellent skiing, as it is usually still wintry and before the onset of Spring.
There has always been plenty of snow to last until the season ends around the middle of April, and I have never yet experienced a problem in skiing back to the village or to my front door. In late March and early April, whilst there obviously can be cold snaps and fresh snowfall, the norm is spring skiing - i.e. plenty of sunny weather, firm frozen pistes in the morning, softening to perfection between say 10.00-12.00, and often, as you would expect in most resorts, becoming mushy on slopes exposed to the direct rays of the sun during the afternoon. The locals always advise to get out early, have a long, leisurely lunch and do one run in the afternoon. We generally ignore that advice and ski until it's time to convene at the Bergeralm, whose sun terrace is a great, convivial place to spend a couple of hours in the late afternoon. By 5.30pm the snow is often crisping up again. The only kind of snow that I object to skiing on is that sticky stuff that feels as though it's grabbing the bottom of your skis, but fortunately we don't encounter that very often.
Although in the last two seasons the south-facing slopes of the Kohlmais, Bernkogel, Reiterkogel and Hochalm have held up noticeably well in mid-March, the best skiing, as we progress towards late season, tends to be found at Leogang, Fieberbrunn, the north-facing runs on Schattberg and Zwoelferkogel, and the Schattberg Westgipfel red run (piste 8 ). It's just a question of being more selective in the afternoons, when the weather is mild and springlike.
Quote:

Skiing over in Leogang was excellant. Just wondering whether that would make a good alternative base to Saalbach.

When I first discovered the area, I used to stay at Leogang - four holidays in five years. I used to think it was an ideal back door into a big area. Now I much prefer to be at the 'front door'. There is so much going on and to discover in Saalbach - a great social scene, both at apres-ski time (3.30-7.30pm) and later. Also extremely friendly. Leogang is dark and cold during the early part of the season, and the apres-ski is (from what I hear) very limited. However it has great skiing and superb restaurants. So it's a question of what you want. However it only takes a competent skier about 40 minutes to ski from the top of the Kohlmaisbahn to the top of the gondolas that come up from Leogang (I've actually done it in less time without skiing particularly fast). And it takes about 45 minutes to ski from Leogang (top of the gondolas) to the Bergeralm, on the way back. So I can't really see any advantage in staying in Leogang, especially as you'd be placing yourself out on a limb at one extreme end of the system. To my mind, Saalbach is perfectly located at the "hub of the wheel", with possible itineraries fanning out in every direction.
ski holidays
First day in Fieberbrunn today. Overall coverage was good with one or two pistes I saw with muddy patches showing through. It was sunny and quite cold today but still warm for the time of year presumably.

How come they changed the piste numbers?
New signs and new piste maps must have cost a lot.
snow conditions
Quote:

How come they changed the piste numbers?
New signs and new piste maps must have cost a lot.

A hell of a lot - and for me a complete waste of money, as I find it more confusing than the old system and numbering. However I have been assured that it's made navigation easier for anyone new to the area.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy