Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2019/20 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks all for great advice. We decided to get him a private lesson (via Hansis ski shop) which went very well. Still on the same slopes for the time being, but will maybe try the Kolmais mid-section tomorrow for a festive treat (his instructor's idea).
I should add that he's having a smashing time and loving the Saalbach apres...as we all are
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fabulous conditions today, sunny and lots of fresh snow. We’ve headed to the pistes above Hochalm.
I’d say these (50,56,57,58,73,74) are are suitable to nervous skiers too, though download on the gondola rather than take 50a if you’re heading that way.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Valluga wrote:
Thanks all for great advice. We decided to get him a private lesson (via Hansis ski shop) which went very well. Still on the same slopes for the time being, but will maybe try the Kolmais mid-section tomorrow for a festive treat (his instructor's idea).
I should add that he's having a smashing time and loving the Saalbach apres...as we all are

Great to hear and a very good idea to get him private lessons. I was unable to progress until I had a private lesson in Saalbach. Then I managed to ski all the slopes I mentioned with no issues. Amazing what a good kick up the ar** does to boost your confidence. Best money I ever spent. And glad your all enjoying the apres ski!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

For example would you say piste 4, 80 or 152 are easier than 146?

I think so, yes. In my experience they are less of a challenge than the lower half of the Bernkogel in terms of both length and gradient.

Bernkogel is not really to be skied unless first thing; it gets sun early and soon turns in to a mogulled slush fest...

And no Richard, slush is not "poor man's powder"
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hope conditions are okay today for anyone in S/H at the moment. The webcams look glorious to someone arriving in the next couple of weeks....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I really cannot speak highly enough of the Hecherhuette mountain restaurant halfway down piste 168. The run is currently officially closed, although I would expect it to be opened very soon, as it’s bucketing down with snow. However it’s groomed as far as the Hecherhuette, so (daredevils as we are) Mrs TT and I skied down it yesterday, having booked a table at the Hecherhuette for a Boxing Day meal.
The food was absolutely excellent (I recommend the beef fillet medallions in mushroom sauce, although the Hechersteaks are also fantastic, and I’ve heard good things about the tiger prawns). The accompaniments and complimentary entrees, shots and treats leave you feeling that you’re getting excellent value for money.
More than that, the atmosphere of the place and friendliness of the staff counts for a great deal. For those who don’t already know it, it’s an ancient-timbered, 300 year old inn, perched in one of the most peaceful and scenic spots imaginable, with views over Viehhofen to the Schmittenhohe. Last night that view was enhanced by the twinkling lights of the new Zell am See Xpress gondola on the opposite side of the valley.
The interior is beautifully rustic, quaint, interesting and homely, with a roaring log fire and a cosy, intimate atmosphere.
The staff consist of the Czech owner, the attentive and hard-working Jarmila, who puts as much energy into getting the after-dinner party going and getting everyone dancing, as she does in ensuring that her customers’ needs are more than catered for.
Then there is her irrepressible right-hand man, “Lucky Luke”, a former Welsh guard and Butlins redcoat, whose talents include not only serving the food and drinks, but concocting the mysterious Hecherfeuer - a very potent shot, the ingredients of which are a closely guarded secret - leading the after-dinner line dancing, and singing a very passable, karaoke rendition of “Piano Man”.
The other attentive, very friendly staff, including Elisa from Portugal, and Sonicka from Czech Republic also deserve a mention. As for the chef(s), well the quality and presentation of the meals speaks for itself.
Then there is the music - an eclectic mix of Austrian apres-ski party favourites and classic rock. Last night we heard everything from Jimi Hendrix to ABBA, from Elvis and Bill Haley to AC/DC and Guns ‘n’ Roses, from Carole King to Robbie Williams. Halfway through my beef medallions I even heard one of my favourite bands, Barclay James Harvest, playing in the background! They will of course play requests - anything you want to hear, especially during the after-dinner party, which goes on typically until midnight.
The overall impression is of a very well-honed operation, in which the staff go out of their way to ensure a fantastic evening and seem to enjoy it as much as their customers. The whole evening, including the meals and drinks (and Mrs TT didn’t spare herself) cost us less than £70!
I can understand that anyone reading this may be wondering how they get home. Well, a taxi back to Saalbach, booked through the Hecherhuette (which has a special arrangement with a local taxi firm) will cost EUR 40 for up to 8 passengers (with or without skis) - excellent value considering that the taxi has to drive halfway up a mountain.
Anyone who may decide to book an evening meal (or even call in for lunch or a drink - the Jagatee is lethal, by the way!) at the Hecherhuette is encouraged to mention my name, in case it earns me a shot Madeye-Smiley
You most assuredly won’t be disappointed!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I really cannot speak highly enough of the Hecherhuette mountain restaurant halfway down piste 168. The run is currently officially closed, although I would expect it to be opened very soon, as it’s bucketing down with snow. However it’s groomed as far as the Hecherhuette, so (daredevils as we are) Mrs TT and I skied down it yesterday, having booked a table at the Hecherhuette for a Boxing Day meal.
The food was absolutely excellent (I recommend the beef fillet medallions in mushroom sauce, although the Hechersteaks are also fantastic, and I’ve heard good things about the tiger prawns). The accompaniments and complimentary entrees, shots and treats leave you feeling that you’re getting excellent value for money.
More than that, the atmosphere of the place and friendliness of the staff counts for a great deal. For those who don’t already know it, it’s an ancient-timbered, 300 year old inn, perched in one of the most peaceful and scenic spots imaginable, with views over Viehhofen to the Schmittenhohe. Last night that view was enhanced by the twinkling lights of the new Zell am See Xpress gondola on the opposite side of the valley.
The interior is beautifully rustic, quaint, interesting and homely, with a roaring log fire and a cosy, intimate atmosphere.
The staff consist of the Czech owner, the attentive and hard-working Jarmila, who puts as much energy into getting the after-dinner party going and getting everyone dancing, as she does in ensuring that her customers’ needs are more than catered for.
Then there is her irrepressible right-hand man, “Lucky Luke”, a former Welsh guard and Butlins redcoat, whose talents include not only serving the food and drinks, but concocting the mysterious Hecherfeuer - a very potent shot, the ingredients of which are a closely guarded secret - leading the after-dinner line dancing, and singing a very passable, karaoke rendition of “Piano Man”.
The other attentive, very friendly staff, including Elisa from Portugal, and Sonicka from Czech Republic also deserve a mention. As for the chef(s), well the quality and presentation of the meals speaks for itself.
Then there is the music - an eclectic mix of Austrian apres-ski party favourites and classic rock. Last night we heard everything from Jimi Hendrix to ABBA, from Elvis and Bill Haley to AC/DC and Guns ‘n’ Roses, from Carole King to Robbie Williams. Halfway through my beef medallions I even heard one of my favourite bands, Barclay James Harvest, playing in the background! They will of course play requests - anything you want to hear, especially during the after-dinner party, which goes on typically until midnight.
The overall impression is of a very well-honed operation, in which the staff go out of their way to ensure a fantastic evening and seem to enjoy it as much as their customers. The whole evening, including the meals and drinks (and Mrs TT didn’t spare herself) cost us less than £70!
I can understand that anyone reading this may be wondering how they get home. Well, a taxi back to Saalbach, booked through the Hecherhuette (which has a special arrangement with a local taxi firm) will cost EUR 40 for up to 8 passengers (with or without skis) - excellent value considering that the taxi has to drive halfway up a mountain.
Anyone who may decide to book an evening meal (or even call in for lunch or a drink - the Jagatee is lethal, by the way!) at the Hecherhuette is encouraged to mention my name, in case it earns me a shot Madeye-Smiley
You most assuredly won’t be disappointed!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've only been to the Hecherhuette once, but it was definitely most excellent. And run 168 down to it is a full tuck crouch fest just about all the way to it, or it least it was the one time we went - the piste was empty!
We'll be visiting in a couple of weeks, though we'll have to stagger our way back to Leogang...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Morning all,

Quick question from a weather noob. About to fly out to Saalbach later this morning for a week of sun drenched boarding it seems. With the freezing point above mid station height from Monday, and top station toward the end of the week, what can we expect in terms of snow conditions?

Maybe too simplistic a question?!

Thanks in advance!

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Saalbach/6day/mid
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think you can expect very good skiing conditions indeed. Very light winds and perfect visibility will make for excellent skiing and enable as many lifts as possible to run all day every day of your trip. The slopes are grassy so the depth of snow is not really an issue there. Excellent weather should mean excellent piste preparation. The relatively high temperatures will be counteracted by the oblique sun at this time of year and by deep shadow. In the light wind It should however feel warm enough to sit out at lunch time. The likely very low humidity will improve the quality of the skiing surface and greatly reduce melting. Sounds like a good week to me!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bergfex has it cooler in the valley than the peaks for most days.
https://www.bergfex.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/wetter/prognose/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Drammeister, Schattberg was not called “Shadow Mountain” for nothing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All booked for family trip at the end of March now and very much looking forward to it!

Thanks@tatmanstours for your guide, very useful indeed. Still have some basic, probably dumb, questions. Looking at the piste map I'm not sure if it's possible to go in either direction between Schattberg East and West or only one way? Is it possible to go from one side of the valley on skis or so you need at least a short hike in boots wherever you go? Looks like down the far end of the valley it might be possible?

Also any recommendations for particular restaurants in the evening which are family friendly?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rowlski, Yes, you can both ways between Schattberg East and West.
In order to cross the Glemm valley without walking between lifts, you should do it at Hochalm (in either direction), or at Jausern, where you can ski down piste 2a and then take the Schönleitenbahn up the other side.
When you get used to the area, it becomes intuitive. We use the ski buses to get us quickly from A to B, and we very seldom walk between lifts.
All the restaurants are family friendly. See my guide for the ones we recommend.
For cheap and cheerful, as well as family friendly, we rate Bobby’s Pub, which does an excellent plat du jour for 8-9 euros (as well as pretty good pizzas, burgers and kebabs.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Colinthc, a big thank you for suggesting piste 30 over Hinterglemm - it turned out to be a real winner and also meant our beginner could experience a little more the vast area and have a nice lunch in the Winkleralm with the rest of us.
A great week had by all four of us.
snow report
Just a quick question - is there currently snow at village level? Just curious.....
latest report
@skilass, you need to join us in our addiction to the webcams at https://www.saalbach.com/en/live-info/livecams - the Wildenkarkogel and Kohlmais cameras show Saalbach at the bottom of the valley, and everything around it is white.
ski holidays
Thanks. I've been watching the webcams (multiple times a day!!) as our trip gets closer, but I couldn't see what the village was like.
snow conditions
Hi. A saalbach novice here. We have to ski at new year cos my partner is a teacher but we did not expect queues like this. We researched this thread but skiing back from leogang this morning was 15 mins at every lift. No mention of this on the thread. So where do we go for queue free skiing like we had in France over new year?
snow conditions
FionaTwice wrote:
Hi. A saalbach novice here. We have to ski at new year cos my partner is a teacher but we did not expect queues like this. We researched this thread but skiing back from leogang this morning was 15 mins at every lift. No mention of this on the thread. So where do we go for queue free skiing like we had in France over new year?

That's very unusual in my experience of Saalbach. Yes, you get an odd bottleneck - maybe early doors and just after lunch, but "serious" queuing is the exception, rather than the rule.
snow report
@skilass, https://www.bergfex.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/webcams/c12562/

Plenty of snow.
ski holidays
All looking very white. Looking brilliant! Can't wait for this weekend.
latest report
12 days and counting for me!
snow report
@FionaTwice, head towards Hochalm, Hinterglemm or Fieberbrunn would be my advice. Maybe the Zell-am-See connection has had an impact.
We were there last week (admittedly slightly quieter than new year) and had no queues in those areas.
ski holidays
Just finishing my last night shift for 2019 - Then out to Saalbach-Hinterglemm on Friday Very Happy
snow report
@FionaTwice, This is my 14th consecutive New Year week in Saalbach, and I have never previously noticed any significant queues at all. However I agree that yesterday was horrendous. One explanation that has been suggested is that conditions may not be as good in other nearby resorts, and that people are coming in from elsewhere. I got talking to some people in the queue for the Bernkogelbahn, and they had taken the bus from Zell am See.
Other possible factors (apart from the beautiful weather and the fact that it’s holiday week for everyone) are that the standard lift pass now covers Zell and Kaprun, and of course the new link to Zell. I hope that it’s not the latter, as that was our worry about the new link. I would be inclined to doubt that it was responsible.
Maybe everyone was sticking to the south-facing side of the valley?
Some friends went over to Fieberbrunn yesterday and didn’t experience queues. I’m going there today.
snow report
@Valluga, you're welcome. It does make a difference, getting on to runs that feel like proper high mountain skiing. Glad you had a great holiday.
snow conditions
hoping tatman and co work out what is causing any queing. could just have been a stopped lift for whatever reason ,as one of the strong points of saalbach is or has been the almost total lackof them when weve been there this last few years . Had a quick look on the webcams a few mins ago and certainly zell seems to be more crowded than saalbach/leogang but that doesnt explain any queing at leogang maybe as tm says was just resort pressure due to everyone not at work /holiday and the good conditions. It could be that a change in timing of visiting certain areas will be the best way round any inconvienience as the hinterglem/fieberbrun areas appear free flowing but as only looking at webcams from afar it may not be the true picture .
Anyone been over to zell and back who is staying in saalbach this year as havnt noticed any comments either in favour or not or is the link not open which could explain folks with the new pass going round to leogang from there or the increase in day visitors. just wondering
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Practically all the resorts in Austria are very busy at the moment, lots of queues. Conditions are much the same everywhere, decent snow above 1400m - 1500m below that not so good with patches of hard artificial snow. The relatively mild sunny weather means lots of folk are heading for the slopes. I would guess it will remain very busy until after the 6th (which is a public holiday in Austria and southern Germany). The only day I would consider going is New Year's day as many people sleep in that morning but think will give it a miss tomorrow and wait for the hordes to leave and more snow to arrive.
snow conditions
Yorksboy wrote:
Just finishing my last night shift for 2019 - Then out to Saalbach-Hinterglemm on Friday Very Happy

What a yawn being back at work is. Counting the days until I can clear off again OMG!
ski holidays
It pays for the ski trips!
ski holidays
Thanks for the tip re fierberbrunn. We went there first thing and then returned to saalbach via hochalm and schonleitenbahn. No sign of yesterday's queues.
However, it would be good to know queue time today at schonleitenbahn at say 11 and lift L7 or L6 in leogang? We're going to attempt the circus before the end of the week. From the look of today, best to start on bernkogelbahn and do fierberbrunn first?
So if our worst problem today was no happy hour at Bergeralm, then we've had a good day. Way less people on the slopes than France.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Yorksboy wrote:

What a yawn being back at work is. Counting the days until I can clear off again OMG!

Just the packing to do now Happy

Early start on Friday, but will be in Hinterglemm by Friday teatime. Probably be too late to collect my skis. Does anyone know if a ski hire near the night slope stays open late?
snow report
Hey all, Ive been in saalbach since Saturday and except for the morning queue to get on the lift at Vordgerglemm (where im staying) I haven't noticed many queues at all. It is busy, but everything is flowing nicely. Spent yesterday and today in Leogang and max queue time was about 7 minutes, average 2 minutes (ish).
latest report
Does anyone know if there are any Saalbach celebrations planned for this evening, other than the Traditional torch run and fireworks (which were at 5pm)

Im here with my 14 year old daughter and wondering if we should head back out for midnight? Or is it likely to be just the bars and restaurants that are lively?

Cheers in advance! And Happy New Year!
snow report
@strunkenallstar, I had many new years in S-H, though not for about a decade. I wouldn't imagine much has changed. Just put your hard hats on, keep your wits about you and enjoy. My tip. Find a slope that looks over the village just before midnight. It's normally nuts.
ski holidays
Much better day on the slopes re queues. Longest was 5 mins in hinterglemm at 1030. Otherwise all v. Good with good lunch at gerstreialm but bring cash
latest report
@FionaTwice, Always cash Toofy Grin , there are only a handful of mountain restaurants that take card
snow conditions
Mmm... interesting observation. It's the first time this week that a card wasn't accepted in a hut.
latest report
Quote:

It's the first time this week that a card wasn't accepted in a hut.

They’re moving into the 21st century - gradually.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy