Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2019/20 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Once again this year I will be visiting Saalbach with a entire chalet-load and staying at the Christina with Ski Miquel which is fully catered. It works fine but we always get in a muddle on the chalet day off, and have mucked the staff around a couple of times by asking them to shift their day off so that we can all get booked into a restaurant as a group.

I've proposed cunning plan before, which is to stop for a long, large lunch on the day off, and then continue skiing on the floodlit slope in Hinterglemm into the evening. Nobody is very keen on that for various reasons, but my refined version of the plan is to do some floodlit skiing and then have food at the Schwarzacher at the foot of the slope.

The only snag is that I've never been there, and I don't know whether we could have a sit down meal in our ski gear or not, or even whether it's a feasible venue for food.

Input from Hinterglemmers welcome...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Rockape63, Hi. I can recommend ski hire from Skill- they are about a 5 minute walk from your hotel.

https://www.skill.at/

They also have a ski school. They do a shuttle service if you need it and have direct access to the lift system. Email them with your requirements.

When are you working in Hinterglemm ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @ousekjarr, will look into your recommendations.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Yorksboy, Thanks for that.....definitely not working in Hinterglemm, but visiting 11/3 to 15/3.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@honved, see https://www.unterschwarzach.at/en/eventlocation-schwarzacher/saalbach-hinterglemm-restaurants/ - open until 10pm, but for evening dining it may be best to have someone carry a bag of slippers with you rather than clomping around in ski boots. If you book a table, they'll be happy to make arrangements for you to store the boots and jackets while you eat - probably in their guests' ski room. Or they might even provide you with slippers...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rrd3718 wrote:
me neither thank you!

Where would you suggest to do grocery shopping in Leogang, and as we won't have a car, are there taxis readily available?

There’s a very large MPreis supermarket on the main road, very close to the centre of the village.

I don’t recall there being a taxi rank as such in the village, but there are various local taxi companies to ring.

Be aware that both gondola stations are on the main B164 a good mile or so west of the village centre.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Rockape63, I really should read my posts! My phone does like to add its own words
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any ideas of what, if anything, goes on in Hinterglemm on Christmas Eve?
We were hoping for something Christmassy that evening.

I've seen there's a carol concert in Saalbach on 23rd.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it looks like i"ll be on my own for this seasons ski holiday, and although i dont mind going out for a drink on my own i dont really like sitting in restaurants on my own, so what are the takeaway options in saalbach or hinterglemm
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@compostcorner, The takeaway options in Saalbach are:
The Fast Fuerst takeaway in Schulstrasse - more of a takeaway than a restaurant
Bobby's Pub, Unterdorf - more of a pub than a restaurant
The Parma Restaurant, Oberdorf - more of a restaurant than a pub or takeaway

In all three, you can decide to eat your meal on the premises, and you may well find it a convivial atmosphere. I'd generally be inclined to opt for Bobby's, which does good pub grub, including a very reasonable plat du jour. You can decide at the time of ordering whether you're attracted to the idea of eating in or out. There is televised sport to watch, and quite likely us and a few other Brit expats to hob-nob with. Although we now spend more time in the Crazy Deer than Bobby's, Bobby's is still the place for a very good, cheap and cheerful meal for under 10 euros. (Assuming that nothing will have changed this season).

@Drammeister, If it's anything like Saalbach, it will be very subdued and pious on Christmas Eve - gala dinners in many of the restaurants, whilst St Nicholas, suitably attired, does the rounds, with his shepherd's crook, reciting extracts from the Nativity Story in German, and "Stille Nacht" is sung often. Midnight Mass begins in Saalbach Church at 11.00pm.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have been watching the Saalbach weather forecast with interest ahead of our trip on 4th Jan. It appears that the western resorts have fared much better from the recent storms across Europe. Anybody there at the moment?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skilass, We’ll be there tomorrow. Judging from the photos appearing on Facebook it looks pretty good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We’ve got Christmas Day evening meal booked at Del Rossi, will we struggle to get in somewhere on Christmas Eve?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We look forward to your updates @tatmanstours.
snow report
@ousekjarr, Thanks for your advice. I had looked at the website and thought it looked quite swanky. Is it within the normal range of ski resort Austrian cuisine and cost do you know?
ski holidays
@chrisdavis, As you may already be aware, Christmas Day in Austria feels like our Boxing Day - everything, including mountain and village restaurants seems to run like a normal day. However Christmas Eve is their big event - not a bad idea to book a table in one of the restaurants that is not doing a special set menu (unless you want a 7 course gala dinner for 40-50 euros, in which case still book in advance).
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, cheers Cool
ski holidays
@skilass, Don't worry about the weather forecast I've been travelling out to Saalbach - Hinterglemm every January since 2006 and there has always been plenty of snow Happy I'm arriving on the 3rd this year. happy to meet up for a drink or a ski.
ski holidays
There are photos and videos of today’s idyllic conditions on Facebook. First deep powder of the season.
latest report
Thanks for that. Just taken a look and looks absolutely stunning. Wow!
ski holidays
Having said that, next week looks ridiculously warm (for December in the Alps), but the long-range forecasts do predict a cooling-down for Christmas. We always seem to get an unseasonably warm spell around Christmas time. Let's hope that next week is "it".
snow report
I hope so!
Just a quick question - do all the mountain restaurants take credit cards to pay for lunch?
Just wondering if we need to take cash or if cards are widely accepted.
snow report
@skilass, Some do, some don't. Best to take some cash in case you end up in one that doesn't.
snow conditions
Okay. Best get some before the election result!
snow report
@skilass, as @tatmanstours, has said cash is king in Saalbach - Hinterglemm, don't expect bars or mountain restaurants to take card.
snow report
@tatmanstours, We arrive Saturday Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks everyone. Cash it is.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrive Saturday in Saalbach too. Looking good!
ski holidays
Just arrived. It is looking good! Snow cannons blasting away too.
snow conditions
For any Snowheads in the area this weekend I can recommend this event. Small xmas style market with craft stalls etc. Unfortunately I'm not in the area pre-christmas this year Crying or Very sad

https://www.saalbach.com/en/events/flying-advent-market_e_2029
snow conditions

Saalbach today
snow conditions
@radar, looking good
ski holidays
@Yorksboy, a bit sideways Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Just above the Asteralm

ski holidays
Snow is looking good.
ski holidays
Warm week to come, but it looks like it cools a bit with some precipitation when I arrive next Saturday.
I hope the snow line drops a bit from the forecast, currently it would be rain in the valley.
latest report
@radar,
radar wrote:
@Yorksboy, a bit sideways Toofy Grin

I assumed it was the way you'd taken it. Hanging out of the chairlift! Very Happy
snow conditions
@Yorksboy, good guess Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The temperatures look extremely high. We need cold and snow!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy