Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2019/20 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

is it possible to send your guide to my email c.osulli@gmail.com ? Thanks!

Will do.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tatmanstours, remember to send me the updated guide, cheers
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kb36, Will do, although I'm surprised that an old Saalbach regular like you needs one (even if your partner in crime does have a habit of getting himself lost!)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tatmanstours, was primarily to check any new info on restaurants and the piste changes, we've not ventured into crazy deer yet and i see the zum turn has changed to off piste bar. Hope Blue 68 (or 168 as it now is) isn't ruined by the new zell link. As for wandering partners in crime I am going to give him a luggage label to wear round his neck i think
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
YouTube clip explaining the new ‘guidance system’ for the Ski Circus

http://youtube.com/v/ASMH_BksX6k
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Piste markers, sign boards AND a paper map! The future is now....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, it over sells and under delivers!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My scepticism about this new system, fuelled by the fact that I’d become reasonably well acquainted with the former piste numbers and found them easy to follow, is only added to by this video.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What a pile of lässig rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Literally my first post here, but this thread has been super helpful and we're booked for saalbach from the 4th Jan!

@tatmanstours, could you send your guide to me? phrase@clrmail.com, thanks!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tatmanstours, are you the mayor of saalbach and if not, why not?? snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Phrase, will do.

@8611, I was hoping to be elected...then Brexit happened.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From the tourist board today

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One more

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking good. Thanks for sharing.
ski holidays
@radar, Good to see the nursery slopes looking well managed, as usual. Looks from the forecasts as though the next few days could have a transformational effect (by which time I’ll be there Madeye-Smiley )
latest report
@radar, Good to see the nursery slopes looking well managed, as usual. Looks from the forecasts as though the next few days could have a transformational effect (by which time I’ll be there Madeye-Smiley )
latest report
@tatmanstours, at least you can ski home Very Happy
latest report
I’m sure everyone is aware of this story-

https://www.snowplaza.co.uk/blog/50838-zellamseexpress-opens/
snow conditions
We arrive in Saalbach on 28 December for a week, I've got @tatmanstours comprehensive guide, but wondered if there were any special events on News Years Eve (fireworks at midnight?), and where we might consider booking a meal (3 of us) on the evening - before the best places are fully booked.
ski holidays
@JohnOw, At 5.00pm they do a show on the Turmwiese nursery slopes, involving exhibitions of carving, boarding, piste bashers, etc., culminating in a torchlight descent by all the ski instructors and then an excellent firework display as a grand finale.
Later on, as midnight approaches, the whole village becomes a firework display. We used to stand in the main village square to see the new year in, but in recent years we have tended to go onto the Turmwiese (with a couple of bottles of bubbly), where there is more space, a good view over the village, and perhaps less chance of being hit by a rocket or having bangers thrown at you.
Some of the restaurants will offer special gala dinners; others (most of those mentioned in my guide) offer their normal a la carte menu. I would be inclined to book a table at the Schattberg Stub’n, the Del Rossi or the Crazy Deer. Or, if you want a pizza or pasta, the Parma, the Il Desco, or the Trattoria. Or, for Mexican food, the Pipamex.
If you want something a bit more special, the Maisalm or the Spielberghaus might be worth considering.
I would say the Hecherhuette, but I expect they’re already fully booked (as some of the others might well be).
snow conditions
Great thread this snowHead Six of us are coming in mid January, staying at the Konig.

Which transfer company does anybody recommend from Salzburg ?
snow conditions
Austria Taxis, Austria Transfers. EUR 159 for 4-8 passengers.
latest report
We’re going to Saalbach for Christmas week, v excited. Does anyone know how late the ski bus/regular bus service runs back up from (slightly below) Viehofen?
snow conditions
@chrisdavis, the timetables are on the Saalbach website.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, ta, I’ll have a look.
snow conditions
We will be staying in leogang from 18-25 January.

Is there much apre ski in leogang and if we decide to try and do the Hinterhag or Goaßstall in Hinterglemm does anyone have recommendations on how to get back to Leogang and the costs?

Thanks in advance
latest report
We will be staying in leogang from 18-25 January.

Is there much apre ski in leogang and if we decide to try and do the Hinterhag or Goaßstall in Hinterglemm does anyone have recommendations on how to get back to Leogang and the costs?

Thanks in advance
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I looked at a road return for Saalbach-Leogang - wanted an evening in Die Kralleralm in Leogang, but it really did not make financial sense unfortunately.
snow report
I spotted another minor change in the piste map.
There is now a short blue loop (110b) to avoid the steep pitch when you get off the Larchfilzen chair in Fieberbrunn.
latest report
@chrisdavis, you might find the Salzburg Verkehr app useful the bus route is 680, ski bus will stop at 5pm.
ski holidays
@radar, saw that thanks, looking like a taxi back.
latest report
@rrd3718, My knowledge of Leogang apres-ski is somewhat out of date, but it may be limited to the Kralleralm. However it’s also worth looking into what goes on at the Hendl Fischerei restaurant, at the top of the two Leogang gondolas. I have a feeling that they have live musical acts up there, but I don’t know if it’s regular or occasional. I assume that, if they do, they keep one of the gondolas running until late.
The only other place that might have anything going on is the Forsthofalm, which is at the top of the Leogang toboggan run. I once had a very memorable apres-ski session in there, combined with a tobogganing - but that was in 1986. (I couldn’t touch Jagatee for the next 15-20 years, although I’m glad to say that I’m now fully recovered).
If you want to sample Saalbach’s most extreme early evening apres-ski, I would recommend booking a table in the Hinterhag Alm for 3.45pm, and ensuring that someone is there to claim it.
If not bothered about a table, call at the Bergeralm happy hour on the way down but try to get to the Hinterhag between 4.00-4.30pm.
You could also ski down from the Hinterhag at 7.30pm (around which time the party finishes), or perhaps half an hour before, and catch some apres at Bauer’s Schi-Alm, or the Spitzbub, or Burgi’s Bar.
The Spitzbub is our venue of choice on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, when popular Geordie entertainer, Spacey, gets a great party going between 5.00-8.00pm.
A taxi back to Leogang is bound to cost you around EUR 100, although I’m only guessing - might be underestimating. Try asking Taxi Rainer (www.taxirainer.at) - better still get quotes from several of Saalbach’s taxi firms - or Leogang’s.
Another wonderful place for an evening, if you don’t mind the taxi ride back, isthe Hecherhuette at Viehhofen.
I wouldn’t bother with the Goassstall, which is even further from Leogang.
I remember doing what you have in mind in 1988. Stayed in a chalet in Leogang, the competent skiers convened at the Hinterhag for the apres-ski party (nothing much has changed), and then returned to Leogang by coach (which had brought the less competent skiers over to Saalbach). We all thought it was well worth it, and the memory of the Hinterhag was still being talked about decades later.
However, I realise that it depends on how many people are available to split the cost. We had enough to justify a coach. 8 would be the ideal number for a taxi.
You could also consider dining in Saalbach before returning to Leogang.
snow report
Thank you for the replies.

I like the idea of going to the Hinterhag one evening and while it is costly it’s an amazing experience. This will be our third time but the one guest is completely new to apre ski so I feel I have to show him! EUR 100 for a one in a lifetime experience doesn’t seem that bad Smile

Good call about the chicken man as that world be ideal.

Thank you for all the tips!
snow report
Would be ideal*
snow conditions
rrd3718 wrote:
Thank you for the replies.

I like the idea of going to the Hinterhag one evening and while it is costly it’s an amazing experience. This will be our third time but the one guest is completely new to apre ski so I feel I have to show him! EUR 100 for a one in a lifetime experience doesn’t seem that bad Smile

Good call about the chicken man as that world be ideal.

Thank you for all the tips!

If time is no object you could catch the 680 bus from Saalbach to Maishofen or Zell, then get a train back to Leogang.
ski holidays
Quote:

If time is no object you could catch the 680 bus from Saalbach to Maishofen or Zell, then get a train back to Leogang.

Good idea! Hadn’t thought of that.
latest report
me neither thank you!

Where would you suggest to do grocery shopping in Leogang, and as we won't have a car, are there taxis readily available?
snow conditions
Hi All, my first post on here for a while, but Ive just booked a mini trip for 3 'mature' guys staying at the Landhotel Oberdanner in Hinterglemm. (hope it's going to be okay, as we don't know the area)

We won't have a car, so am looking for recommendations for ski hire (not boots) close by and also bars and restaurants? Plus anything else, anyone can think of?

TIA. Very Happy
snow report
@Rockape63, there are several hire shops in the village, but without a car you are basically limited to only a few options - I'd recommend Intersport Breitfuss on Haidweg ( https://www.sport-breitfuss.at/en/ ), or you have the option of Gumpold on the main street. Both are within easy walking distance of the main lifts (U-bahn on one side, Reiterkogelbahn on the other) for pick-up and drop-off. Neither will be cheap - if you are price conscious, Hervis at the other end of town will be a lot cheaper while still offering reasonable kit, and can be booked via http://www.alpinresorts.com/ at a discount.

For restaurants, our favourite is Zan Oid'n Fritz ( https://www.hasenauer.at/4-sterne-hotel-hasenauer/restaurants/ ) in the cellar under the Hotel Hasenauer, and we've also used the Knappenstube (was good, but service seems to have gone downhill a little in recent years), Dorfschmeide (basic but OK), and of course the Goaßstall which transitions from loud apres bar (until 6pm) to reasonable restaurant (7.30 to about 9.30) and then to trendy nightclub until the early hours. For some variety there are several others, but my experience of them is limited as we usually self-cater and only eat out 2-3 times per week. Saalbach is also not far away, and a taxi between the two is not expensive so you could ski into Saalbach at the end of the day, have a few beers and then eat, and then get a taxi back.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy