Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2019/20 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
That's a fantastic link to the webcams. Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skilass, the Karawanserei in Hinterglemm is a top-end and somewhat niche place which is achingly trendy (bio-hotel?!?) and no doubt serves wonderful food in tiny portions designed to detox your body and soul wink - at the prices they charge, I’d expect to be hand-fed by angels.

In terms of location it’s actually not bad at all. It’s about a 4 minute walk to the Reiterkogelbahn to get onto the south-facing slopes, or in the other direction you can cross the road and walk down about 50m to the Bergfried T-bar which serves a nice warm-up slope and links into the main learner area at the U-Bahn and then onwards and upwards from there, including the floodlit slope if that appeals.

It is also within easy staggering distance of the Goaßstall via their tunnel, and the pedestrian centre of the village.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skilass, as others have said - don't worry about snow conditions in January - I have been going to Saalbach Hinterglemm every year since 2006, usually first week or 2 in January then a week or 2 end of Feb/beginning of March. Always been able to ski. @tatmanstours, mentions a couple or recent xmas weeks that haven't been so good, even in those seasons the snow cover had improved by week 1.
In the past I have stayed at both the Saalbacherhof and the Bauer, both very plush. The Bauer is smaller and more "intimate". I prefer it to the Saalbacherhof.
Post if you decide on Saalbach, there are always Snowheads there happy to share hints and tips.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skilass, 14 January 2019

as @tatman has said no guarantee it will be the same this year, but there will be snow
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Now that looks good!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@skilass, ...and that’s the Schönleitenbahn, the lowest lift in the whole area, apart from the new Zell am See Xpress gondola at Viehhofen.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think I now have enough reassurance that it's probably going to be okay in early January.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skilass, Hope you’re touching wood!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@skilass,
you could look at the webcams re bergfax saalbach, problem is without knowing what you are looking at, by that I mean which side of the valley the altitude etc its very easy to form the wrong opinion , weve been going to saalbach for several years different dates post xmas and have always been well pleased with the amount of snow/open pistes, the grooming team/piste management snow making is as good as it gets whatever the actual snowfall so I wouldnt get too concerned , you can reasonably expect most of the pistes to be as good if not better than any within austria in any given week. Weve booked first trip mid jan and have no concerns even though I can see grass on some of the slopes today. The problem is I cant guarantee bluebird skies when we are there but who can . enjoy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks. I have to say that some of the webcams are looking very sparse of snow but there's still 5 (hopefully snowy) weeks to go. Hopefully book up tomorrow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skilass, A couple of seasons ago was the worst season in living memory for early snowfall, right across the Alps.
I arrived in Saalbach on 10th December to find the whole valley green; yet there was at least 150km of skiing available, all the links between the various villages were open, and skiers were being bussed in from less fortunate neighbouring villages that had not invested as heavily in snow-making. Not only that, but the quality of the piste skiing was excellent - nice powdery but grippy snow.
That experience really opened my eyes to what can be achieved at times of snow drought, and it also taught me not to worry too much.
The locals are even phlegmatic about a bit of early season rain; apparently it helps to build a good base.
By the way, various friends, who are currently in Saalbach (I get there on 12th Dec), have been posting photos of their first couple of days skiing on Facebook, and I can only say that I feel envious!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tatmanstours, no pre Christmas skiing for me this year - unless I go to Castleford ( only 5 mins away)! In Hinterglemm from the 3rd January for a couple of weeks. Never had a bad week in the Ski Circus in January.
Poking forwards to trying the link into Zell- but I must say that the ski circus already has enough skiing , but it’ll be a novelty, I just hope it doesn’t ruin 68 (now 168) to Viehhofen and the Hetcherhutte!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Yorksboy, I fear that it’s bound to have an adverse impact. Let’s hope there are some compensations. At least our friends at the Hecherhuette will benefit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tatmanstours, I know the Hecherhutte run is so tranquil, its so nice to be able to get away from the crowds. Same can be said for the Hecherhutte. I plan on enjoying both this winter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Yorksboy, The best food (e.g. the beef medallions, tiger prawns and gulasch soup), and the best jagatee in the entire valley!
latest report
I remember run 46 back to the village. Is that still a nice easy blue?
ski holidays
@skilass, the only differences that you will find with that (Bernkogel abfahrt) run are:
(1) like most pistes in the Ski Circus, it has been renumbered for this season - it is now number 146.
(2) it is now served by a gondola to the mid-point, replacing the former, old-fashioned chair lift.
(3) there is now a fast 6-seater chair lift from the mid-point to the summit of the Bernkogel, replacing the former (hated by many), very long double T-bars.
(4) as a consequence of (3), the upper part of the Bernkogel is now an excellent and popular beginners/improvers’ area.
(5) there is a big, new restaurant at the mid-point, the Luis Alm (in addition to the pre-existing Baernalm).
(6) the Baeckstaett Stall restaurant at the bottom of run 146 has now been renamed the “Soul House”, and has an apres-ski outside bar, with very good live music and excellent smoked spare ribs.
(7) there are various snow parks and novelty runs to the side of the main piste.
Otherwise much the same wink
snow conditions
@tatmanstours - I’m sure your favourite slope 168 will be a bit different this year as it’s a run towards Zell. Will probably try run it early one or 2 mornings to get it in when it’s quiet Smile
Just wondering how ye normally get back once ye run it, are ye relying on the bus from Viehhofen? Presume they’re regular to Saalbach?

We’re planning to do a week (6 days skiing). We’d be fairly strong skiers. Probably not worth getting Zell on the ski pass, more than enough to do for the week without it
ski holidays
@colly10,
Quote:

Just wondering how ye normally get back, one ye run it are ye relying on the bus from Viehhofen? Presume they’re regular to Saalbach?

Until this season the free ski bus from the bottom of piste 168 in Viehhofen has run every 20 minutes to the Schönleitenbahn gondola station - a 8/9 minute journey. You can then either go up the Schoenleitenbahn to the summit of the Wildenkarkogel mountain, in which case it’s a 6km downhill run all the way to Saalbach village, or change ski buses and go on the bus back to Saalbach or Hinterglemm.
We have always preferred the former option, which minimises the time spent on the bus and maximises the time spent skiing.
The ski bus has always left Viehhofen at 10 to, 10 past, and half past the hour, and it takes a reasonable skier about 10 minutes to ski down from the Hecherhuette, which we seem unable to pass without calling in for, at the very least, one of their very potent jagatees, if not a meal. So you can time your descent to avoid any wait. The staff at the Hecherhuette will even remind you when it’s time to leave.
Often we’ve headed for the 3.50pm ski bus in order to get the last Schönleitenbahn gondola at 4.00pm.
Having said all that, you can now probably ignore most of it, because the resort has been advertising that the ski bus will henceforth run between Viehhofen and the Schönleitenbahn every 10 minutes (presumably because of the new link to Zell am See).
The basic Saalbach lift pass (Ski Alpin card) now covers Zell am See and Kaprun.
snow report
We have had a change of direction and are considering arranging our own diy package (a bit worried our daughter may find the food at the hotels mentioned above a bit fancy). Any recommendations to look for SC accomodation in Saalbach? We are looking for a 1 bed apartment for 3 adults. Thanks.
latest report
@skilass, there's always schnitzel Toofy Grin @Tatman is well connected with a few owners, we are booked out

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 1-12-19 16:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I feel like we are going round in circles and now tired of looking. Spend all day in front of the screen.
Thanks for everybody's help.
snow conditions
Have you tried the Saalbach website, easy accommodation search on there
ski holidays
All booked up with Crystal. Very exciting.
snow report
@skilass, where have you booked?
snow report
skilass wrote:
All booked up with Crystal. Very exciting.

hope you,ve taken advantage of the black friday discount ,will be interesting to hear your final choices but whatever they are you cant go wrong with saalbach, ive never come across anybody who didnt enjoy their time there
snow report
@skilass, our friends are going back to the alpenkarawanserei this year and absolutely loved it last time around. We'll be returning to the Adler Resort just 200m away or so this year too and by the sounds of it at the same time as you Very Happy
ski holidays
@skilass, oops just realised you've booked. Enjoy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We booked the Saalbacher hof. Pushed the boat out!
snow conditions
Okay, we're back from our hols and in need of some more advice re Christmas in Saalbach.

The normal Sat - Sat holiday company period won't work for us now as for various reasons we have to be back in the UK on the 27th December.

We're looking at doing Fri 20th - 27th Gatwick - Salzburg Easyjet flights and booking an hotel direct, our thinking on hotels has also changed to B & B to enable us to sample the excellent sounding restaurants in town.

My questions for today are;
I haven't looked at transfers yet, can anyone tell me what options there are and their costs?
I'm on Booking.com and Hotel Post has availability and seems to fit the bill, are there any other suggestions?
ski holidays
@teerev, Your transfer options boil down to the public bus (the cheapest and it leaves from right outside the airport terminal), the train to Zell am See (which involves a short shuttle bus from the airport to the station, and then a bus or taxi from Zell am See station to Saalbach), the Holiday Shuttle (7 times a day, door to door, and pre-booked on-line), or one of the private taxi firms that advertise taxi transfers for EUR 159 for 4-8 people (Austria Taxis, Austria Transfers, etc).
Most people use the shuttle or get a taxi, depending on the number of people travelling. A private taxi becomes cheaper if there are at least four people in the group.
latest report
@teerev, the Hotel Post is a good bet for B&B. Right in the middle of the village and more or less equidistant from all three gondola stations.
For a cheaper option you might look at the Pension Grafleiten, our next door neighbour), which is opposite the Kohlmaisbahn gondola station and effectively ski-in ski-out.
There are many others.
ski holidays
After further discussion with my wife and lots of time spent looking at hotels, transfers and flight alternatives today we have worked it out that, as the Crystal return flight on the 28th lands at Gatwick at 1325 we should be home by 3.00pm at the latest which will give us enough time to do what we have to do therefore it's easier and cheaper to go with Crystal and live with the dates.

On that basis I have just booked the Saalbacher Hof which has made my wife very happy as that was her first choice.

@skilass, Hope to see you there. @tatmanstours, Thanks very much for all your help and advice, I owe you a beer.

PS. Could you please send me your guide, it sounds very useful. trevor@handyunit.com
snow conditions
Quote:

Could you please send me your guide

@teerev, Sent!
snow report
Just popped up on Facebook:
GOOD NEWS ⛷
From Friday, Dec. 6th the number of operating lifts and slopes will be significantly expanded. Details will be announced tomorrow since the snow machines will run on full power all night again. Stay tuned, it's gonna be great! Wink
snow report
Just popped up on Facebook:
GOOD NEWS ⛷
From Friday, Dec. 6th the number of operating lifts and slopes will be significantly expanded. Details will be announced tomorrow since the snow machines will run on full power all night again. Stay tuned, it's gonna be great! Wink
ski holidays
Good morning all. My wife and I have booked for our first trip to Hinterglemm on the 4th January. It looks incredible and we cannot wait. It is her first ski trip since school, she is booked in for ski lessons for the first 3 days while I get completely lost across the Skicircus.

@tatmantours is it possible to send your guide to my email c.osulli@gmail.com ? Thanks!
latest report
Question on Kaprun (again) - does the new 3K Connection from the village make a differance? Or are the risk with Kaprun the same - on a good day glacier great - but if weather wrong then its terrible. How long on bus from Kaprun to first gondola for Zee am See? thanks
ski holidays
More lifts opening on Friday:
https://www.saalbach.com/de/winter/skigebiet/aktueller-skibetrieb
snow report
ado wrote:
Question on Kaprun (again) - does the new 3K Connection from the village make a differance? Or are the risk with Kaprun the same - on a good day glacier great - but if weather wrong then its terrible. How long on bus from Kaprun to first gondola for Zee am See? thanks

The new connection reduces the travel time to the glacier from Kaprun and gives an option to ski down the Maiskogel mountain on the return to Kaprun. There is also a huge ski depot at the Maiskogel valley station to leave skis overnight.

The bus from the centre of Kaprun to the Areitbahn gondola in Schuttdorf takes 10-15 minutes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy