Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2018/1019

Poster: A snowHead
It begins

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mother Nature is such a tease!

Cheers, I was going to start a thread then I encountered some pre-season technical faults...which were more in need of attention.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
10cm or more on the ground this morning

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm going in January. shame about the lift on the grand monets side though😫
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dave_3, It's only the top benne. Skin up. Good for you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
my skis only ever point down the slope mate!!!!! 😀
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

my skis only ever point down the slope mate!!!!!

Skin up backwards!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jma wrote:
Quote:

my skis only ever point down the slope mate!!!!!

Skin up backwards!

😂
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dave_3, don't worry about the GM. In January it is often the case that the skiing everywhere else in the valley and beyond (Megeve, Combloux, etc) is as good or better than the GM.

Just checked my diary for last winter. Of 20 days skiing in January, I only skied GM twice, and that was only because our instruction from Alison Culshaw was there. In fact my first day at the top of GM wasn't until 16th February. I don't recall feeling that I was missing out on much.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
HammondR wrote:
@dave_3, don't worry about the GM. In January it is often the case that the skiing everywhere else in the valley and beyond (Megeve, Combloux, etc) is as good or better than the GM.

Just checked my diary for last winter. Of 20 days skiing in January, I only skied GM twice, and that was only because our instruction from Alison Culshaw was there. In fact my first day at the top of GM wasn't until 16th February. I don't recall feeling that I was missing out on much.

that's good to know. thanks . hoping for good January snow
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Going to Argentiere in December - snow was amazing last year (had to dig the car out after two nights) hoping for more of the same. Any locals predicting good things in the Chamonix Valley??
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HammondR, ask in another 4 weeks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Forecast is (currently) quite bad for the Alps for the next month.

Argentiere and Chamonix are low.

More likely to be brown or green than white.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Only just seen the Lognan and Grand Montets closure news, absolutely gutted! We've got a trip booked for 12-19 January, does anybody think we should look to relocate from Argentiere?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Only if you planned to use the top bin on GM a lot, otherwise it's no difference really and there is still the new Tabe lift and beginners area. We're still going at half term and not expecting any difference.
snow report
@skiing_snerrick, what news? I haven't heard anything? If you refer to the Lognan fire, wellit's very sad but it was a crap restaurant. Ony really affects the top benne. Capacity of lower cable was 700/hour, capacity of new(ish) bubble is 3,500 an hour so it's not at all the end of the world.

I have an apartment near the Brevent if you want an option...
snow conditions
Anyone heard anything substantive about what this "marked skinning track" might consist of? Seeing as I generally quite enjoy the climbing it might improve my runs down the glacier side to have minimal people on them!

On the snow front, there's a lot of time for some weather between now and dec, and if there's no snow whatsoever on the GM everywhere in the french alps will likely be looking a tad thin...
snow report
Looking forward to new year, it'll be my first time in Chamonix. Hopefully it'll be looking a lot whiter by then!
ski holidays
https://cmb.eliberty-insight.com/campaign/email/en/mirror/YToyOntzOjE1OiJlbWFpbENhbXBhaWduSWQiO2k6OTU7czo4OiJlbnRpdHlJZCI7aTo4OTM5MTt9?pk_campaign_email=95&pk_campaign=19&_oid=57174

Last week for season passes deal.
ski holidays
Hearing rumors Grand Montet might open this weekend
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
https://cmb.eliberty-insight.com/campaign/email/en/mirror/YToyOntzOjE1OiJlbWFpbENhbXBhaWduSWQiO2k6OTU7czo4OiJlbnRpdHlJZCI7aTo4OTM5MTt9?pk_campaign_email=95&pk_campaign=19&_oid=57174

Last week for season passes deal.

Last day now I think.

Boy are CdMB hounding me, couple of emails a day. I bought the bloody things weeks ago, you've had your pound of flesh, leave me alone!
ski holidays
In Cham this morning.

Snowing down to around 1500m. No one around. No yellow jackets on the road. Maybe some tomorrow. Small queue at montenvers for passes. GM open this weekend.
snow conditions
@jbob, So are you in Chx this season (as you are at Montenver buying passes) or is it back to Italy again?
snow report
@midgetbiker, no back to Aosta. My daughter has a house in cham we were picking up some misdirected xmas gifts from the post office. I do have 5 buyclub cham day passes for a few missions so lets keep in touch. Also if you fancy a trip to Courmayeur let me know and we can meet up.
snow report
@jbob That's exciting news! I can't see anything on the CdMB website to say they're opening ahead of the scheduled 8th December, do you know which lift's are opening? Hasn't seemed like much has come down compared to through the tunnel where Courmayeur's going with a limited opening tomorrow.
ski holidays
@Grum p, as you were, looks like no opening tomorrow. Sorry about that.
ski holidays
“Chamonix, 06/12/2018

Dear Partners, dear customers,

The present weather forecast announces heavy snowfalls in the hours & days to come. As a result, please be informed, as follows, of the possibility of ski lifts opening in the near future :

Present snowcover is insufficient to allow a partial opening this weekend (8th & 9th December) but we are counting on the announced snowfalls to prepare a partial opening as of the 15th December for the Grands Montets, Brévent-Flégère, Les Houches & Megève ski areas.
With regard to our excursion & tourist sites, the rack & pinion railway to Montenvers is open daily.
The Ice Grotto (with access via the gondola) will re-open for the French school holidays.
The Balme ski area & the Tramway du Mont-Blanc will open for the Christmas holidays as above.
The re-opening of the Aiguille du Midi cable-car is planned for the end of December as previously announced.

We will keep you up to date during the coming week to confirm the partial opening of our ski areas as of the 15th December next depending on the snowcover.

Download our timetables and schedules :
Areas : click here
Montenvers Mer de Glace and Tramway du Mont Blanc : click here

Find all information on: www.montblancnaturalresort.com

The official word.
latest report
Here's to hoping these forecasts play through as expected for a good start on the 22nd Confused
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cham's latest opening date in 4 years.

Conditions are bad, right now.
snow report
@Whitegold, you really do talk the most amount of p1sh.

Heavy snow is forecast for over the weekend.
ski holidays
Grateful for any advice for some Chamonix newbies coming in Jan for 4 days. We are more towards the beginner-intermediate spectrum than advanced (i.e. won't be hiring a guide or going off piste). Looking at the lift passes are we best off just picking an area each day e.g. Argentiere one day, Les Houches another, etc? Also any tips on restaurants/bars both on and off piste welcomed!
ski holidays
@michaelf, there are a variety of threads covering eating and drinking. Most recent quite up to date.

Passes? Little advantage to MBU vs days per site. Although Les Houches is the only one that does a station specific pass. Will you have a car?
snow report
@michaelf I am going on 30th Dec for a week and will be trying a few different areas. I went 2 years ago and stuck to Les Houches as it was the nearest to where we were staying and had organised the kids some lessons there.

Les Houches is good for beginner-intermediate skiers but it will depend on the conditions, at 1900m it was fine at the top but soon got quite slushy as you headed below 1500m. We only skied back to the valley once in 4 days.

This time the focus will be on Le Tour or Flegere, I still need some easy runs for the young ones but want to go be able to go a bit higher if the freezing level rises.

A car does offer great flexibility around Cham even if it limits my Apres Ski options.....

Still trying to work out what the best thing to do for ski passes is.... I might just try and buy on a daily basis but online 3 days in advance, this gets them at a good price but not committed to skiing everyday.
snow conditions
Be careful last season you only got to ski les houches with the mbu pass not included on the Cham pass
snow report
Indeed

Quote:

les houches only with the mbu pass (or the Les Houches pass obviously) not included on Le Pass

Edited for clarity and completeness.

@Neillp, one point if the kids are young, you can get 4 hour passes, which visiting rellies with young kids find can work well.
latest report
Thanks for the pointers - have done a search for the food/drink thread but couldn't find it so if you could paste link that would be most helpful.

We won't have a car but I understand there are free buses to move between areas? If Les Houches is worth a visit for at least one day (which it sounds like it is) then I think it will be cheaper just to buy an LH or Le Pass at the beginning of each day depending on what we fancy.
snow report
@michaelf, A simple search on terms "chamonix" and "restaurants" brings back a few but I limited to last year only. There are more older ones.

e.g. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=135561&highlight=chamonix+restaurants on mountain

and have a look here https://drive.google.com/open?id=18pouJiOfwKbnNus96uOd3e73OkY&usp=sharing
latest report
Big fire in Les Houches, maybe a chalet.

snow conditions
jbob wrote:
Big fire in Les Houches, maybe a chalet.

Any idea where abouts...?
latest report
Near the Maison Jaune

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy