Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen for non-skier (wife)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I´m off to Mayrhofen with my wife, which is a non-skier, first week of March and was wondering if Mayrhofen is a good option for her. She usually like to stay at the hotel, read a book, walk around the town, do some shopping and if possible meet at the base (when it´s skiable) or at some restaurant up the mountain for lunch or apres ski.
My question is:
Is it possible for a non-skier to go up the mountain with the gondola (Penken and Ahorn) to have lunch or maybe a few drinks at the end of the day?
What are the best activities for a non-skier in Mayrhofen? I was reading their website and liked the tobogganing. Has anyone tried this at Mayrhofen?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, yes, all 3 areas have mountain restaurants that non- skiers can access .

There are some nice woodland tracks around the town that are kept "pisted" for walkers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In town there is also the swimming pool and the ice rink for other activities as well as a day trip to Innsbruck is easy to do.

As for mountain access, as said above there is easy access to the Penken and Ahorn areas where there are many restaurants and apri areas. A short bus ride will take you to the Horberg lift also.

In the village there is a range of apri available from hard core to relaxed. At the relaxed and of the spectrum would be the happy end at the bottom of the penken lift or at the cafe at bottom of the Ahorn run.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does anyone know if there is a curling rink in the area, by curling i mean the Olympic spott and not the Austrian version
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
theres a nice walk along the river to zell am ziller
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Koleoptero, just over a km from the outside of Mayrhofen on the way to Zell am Ziller is the Sennerei Zillertal (Dairy) which is open for public visits to see (and taste!) how the local cheeses are made.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 15-05-19 13:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Koleoptero, just over a km from the outside of Myrhofen on the way to Zell am Ziller is the Sennerei Zillertal (Dairy) which is open for public visits to see (and taste!) how the local cheeses are made.

On the back road, come past the fuel station and past the campsite. Or the ski bus to the Horberg gondala goes that way. Or walk through the woods and the track takes you above it, then shortly after drop down into the village (Laubichl) and back onto the ski bus route/road.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The dairy also has a large shop and cafe, its a nice walk at Easter/Summer, could be challenging if the snow has not been cleared off the path.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just walked through the woods and can confirm the paths have been flattened, and sprinkled with shale to give extra grip.
There are undulations along the route so a walking or ski pole may be useful for the odd icy bit.
The amount of dog poo left is pretty annoying, there are plenty of bins along the route and although the free poobag dispensers were all empty expecting bags to be available is no excuse for not taking your own.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Koleoptero wrote:
I´m off to Mayrhofen with my wife, which is a non-skier, first week of March and was wondering if Mayrhofen is a good option for her. She usually like to stay at the hotel, read a book, walk around the town, do some shopping and if possible meet at the base (when it´s skiable) or at some restaurant up the mountain for lunch or apres ski.
My question is:
Is it possible for a non-skier to go up the mountain with the gondola (Penken and Ahorn) to have lunch or maybe a few drinks at the end of the day?
What are the best activities for a non-skier in Mayrhofen? I was reading their website and liked the tobogganing. Has anyone tried this at Mayrhofen?

My partner went last March.

She mainly walked up and down the valley - very pleasant walks apparently there are some climby bits towards Finkenberg and part way up the Ahorn, but generally fairly flat. Visited a cheese factory one day on her walks - that seems to be mentioned above. Nice villages, lots of churches etc. There is no non-skier lift pass option, but she took a single return to the top of the Penken (and then the gondola/chair combi) to meet up. She also went on a snowshoe day - there's a place half way up the high street that organises day excursions in remote non-skied areas. Mayrhofen itself is a very pleasant Austrian small town/large village.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some info on walks that would enable you to meet on the mountain here.

https://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/mountain-experience-winter/activities/winter-hiking/

I found a couple of maps that may help too - your hotel ought to have them, if not, the tourist office.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mayrhofen is a beautiful Austrian town - fantastic location for the slopes & great for wandering around, with plenty of traditional craft shops, clothing, cake shops, etc.
Be sure to pop in to the metzgerei (butchers with a cafe) opposite the lift station for a cheap & tasty snack - it’s open all day & is a firm favourite; also the konditerei for coffee & cake.
Non-skiers can easily go up the mountain because the slopes are accessed by cable car - the Elk Bar at the top of the Penken was always buzzing (I think it closes at 5pm to tie in with the lift). Back in town you can tip straight into the Ice Bar if drunken Austrian techno is your thing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hI I'm off with the family to Mayrhofen at christmas . My partner is a non skier so will be doing all the pampered stuff and shopping . We know she can access the ski lifts as a non skier, but having difficulty trying to find how much it would cost , can anybody help?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Nik B,

https://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/mayrhofner-bergbahnen/prices-opening-hours-winter/

Ascent and descent
PEDESTRIAN TICKET
Ticket type Adults
Ascent and descent 21.50
Adults with guest card 20.00

5 x Ascent and descent 96.50
Adults with guest card 89.80
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy