Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

January 2020 advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello - I'm in Australia and last time in Europe skied two weeks in March, and found conditions fine. Next year I have two weeks in January planned, either starting 11 January or 18 January. My preference is to ski later in January, but the two weeks from 11 Jan fits best for work.

Currently I have planned 18 - 25th in Les Menuires, then 25 - 1 Feb in Zermatt. If that was pushed forward a week (11-18th in Les Menuires, 18-25 in Zermatt) would I likely see much difference in conditions? Coming from so far, and this being a far from annual trip, I want to get the most out of it. I have read that some parts of Zermatt don't open till ~end of January. Will everything in the 3V be open week beginning 11 Jan?

All advice gratefully accepted.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
this year, end of JAN, 3V was fully open, stayed in Les Menuires, however lower slopes had signs of thin snow layer and you actually could see dark gravel/soil under very thin layer of snow/ice at places, where most brake.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zermatt is rocky.

So, later is better.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is one part of Zermatt - Rote Nase - that doesn't open until later, on account (I think) of needing greater snow cover. You can see the lift schedule here https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Current-news/Timetable .
This gives access to a few great unpisted itinerary runs. Well worth it if you are into that sort of thing, but it's a small element of the whole resort.
That area would be open if you opted for the later trip but closed the week before.
The same applies to a drag lift on the glacier, but that's no big deal.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What about meeting all the snowheads in Italy for the PreBB week
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all your advice. Looks like the later trip is probably it, although it's going to cost me a few hundred euros extra for various reasons.

DCG wrote:
There is one part of Zermatt - Rote Nase - that doesn't open until later, on account (I think) of needing greater snow cover. You can see the lift schedule here https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Current-news/Timetable .

That was exactly what i was thinking about DCG.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Both will be fine...no need to push it later if it saves you money. January can mean big storms and lift closures for high winds, which it more likely to affect Zermatt. However, it’s impossible to predict when those storms are likely to happen. I was in the 3V (just down the road from Menuires) for all bar a week of Jan, and we had an excellent time. Piste skiing fine from NY, and then snow. I really can’t recall significant bare patches.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rdk wrote:
Thanks for all your advice. Looks like the later trip is probably it, although it's going to cost me a few hundred euros extra for various reasons.

DCG wrote:

That was exactly what i was thinking about DCG.

Rote Nasa is an itinerary area. That is, it is off piste so ungroomed. But it is marked and is controlled so it is safer than pure off piste (but still more hazardous than on piste). If you like off piste skiing then you ought to do the later week when Rote Nasa is open. It is, in my opinion, the best skiing area in Zermatt and Cervinia. However if you are 100% on piste it doesn’t make much difference.

Rote Nasa is in a bowl from a recently departed glacier. So it is rather rocky, including a lot of loose rocks, and needs more snow cover than other areas. Hence the later opening.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have booked the week 25 Jan to 1 Feb for Zermatt, with the previous week in Les Menuires. I'm surprised about the reasonable cost of some of the hotels in Zermatt, especially for a solo traveller.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rdk wrote:
I have booked the week 25 Jan to 1 Feb for Zermatt, with the previous week in Les Menuires. I'm surprised about the reasonable cost of some of the hotels in Zermatt, especially for a solo traveller.

Even Zermatt has a quiet time post Xmas/New Year and before European half terms. You have probably chosen the best possible week from that point of view.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good to hear JohnMo!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rdk, great choice of areas and weeks.

I’m also surprised you’ve found reasonably priced hotels in Zermatt for a solo traveller, even though off peak season. Would you mind telling which website (or other source) you found them on please?

If you need detailed info on either 3V or Zermatt/Cervinia I’m sure SnowHeads will respond.
snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy